PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Blow for a PC

PanNarrans
2009-09-01, 06:54 AM
I think a PC with the monster manual feat Awesome Blow would be fun, but the prereqs are pretty harsh, it being designed for monsters. What's a fast way to get there? How would you make a build around it?

Cyclocone
2009-09-01, 07:47 AM
Well, I'm not sure how I'd make the build (probably half minotaur or somesuch); but if I were large, I'd take a look at Large and In Charge (from Draconomicon).

Awesome Blow kinda, well... blows.

Faleldir
2009-09-01, 09:04 AM
Take a level of Stoneblessed and get Knockback instead.

Person_Man
2009-09-01, 09:54 AM
Awesome Blow is actually a weak feat, as it requires a Standard Action. I suggest Knockback from Races of Stone, which gives you a free Bull Rush whenever you use Power Attack. It's easy to optimize (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107248), trust me (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22).

Cieyrin
2009-09-01, 10:15 AM
Take a level of Stoneblessed and get Knockback instead.

How's going Stoneblessed to be treated as a Goliath gonna help you get Knockback? You still need to be Large (or treated as such, like having Powerful Build) to acquire it.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-01, 10:19 AM
How's going Stoneblessed to be treated as a Goliath gonna help you get Knockback? You still need to be Large (or treated as such, like having Powerful Build) to acquire it.

If the requirements are "Goliath; or, Large", then being a Goliath counts.

Alternatively, convince your DM that you can use UMD's "emulate a race" feature on feats. :smalltongue:

Johel
2009-09-01, 10:38 AM
Depends what you've access to.

If you can play monster
Just play an Ogre Barbarian/Fighter/Ranger/Paladin (choose any of these).
The racial "+10 Str" covers the "25 Str".
With the two racial feat, take Power Attack and Improved Bull Rush.

If you can't play monster
Play an Half-Orc Barbarian with 20 Str.

1th level : Power Attack
3rd level : Improved Bull Rush
4th level : +1 Str
8th level : +1 Str
12th level : +1 Str

Find a wizard to cast "Enlarge Person" + "Permanency"
This will gives you +2 Str and Large size.
It can be dispelled so be careful.

Person_Man
2009-09-01, 11:17 AM
If the requirements are "Goliath; or, Large", then being a Goliath counts.

Actually, the requirements are Large size or Powerful Build. Stoneblessed doesn't grant Powerful Build, so you can't get access to Knockback that way. So you need to be a Half Giant, Half Ogre, Goliath, or some other Large race.

Doc Roc
2009-09-01, 12:16 PM
Oh gosh, don't throw me in the briar patch! Why would I want to play a goliath? Particularly if LA-buyoff is allowed. Knockback is fantastic, particularly if you stack it up with dungeoncrasher.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-01, 12:22 PM
Oh gosh, don't throw me in the briar patch! Why would I want to play a goliath? Particularly if LA-buyoff is allowed. Knockback is fantastic, particularly if you stack it up with dungeoncrasher.

I'm still looking for a non-Bloodstorm Blade, non-third-party (BoXM contains the Ranged Mastery doublefeat which lets you use a bunch of melee feats with bows, but it's not available in many games) way to bull-rush with a ranged weapon, preferably a greatbow.

Dungeoncrasher doesn't actually specify melee bull-rushes, so, as of right now, you can use it with a ring of telekinesis or a ring of the ram or a wand of battering ram or or or or...

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-01, 12:34 PM
I'm still looking for a non-Bloodstorm Blade, non-third-party (BoXM contains the Ranged Mastery doublefeat which lets you use a bunch of melee feats with bows, but it's not available in many games) way to bull-rush with a ranged weapon, preferably a greatbow.

Dungeoncrasher doesn't actually specify melee bull-rushes, so, as of right now, you can use it with a ring of telekinesis or a ring of the ram or a wand of battering ram or or or or...

Well, Exotic Weapon Master has Ranged Disarm, and Master Thrower has Trip Shot...

Hulking hurler gets Knockdown Blow which renders target prone. It also lets you Power Attack with a throw, which, when combined with Knockback, will let you bull rush on a throw.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-01, 12:38 PM
Hulking hurler gets Knockdown Blow which renders target prone. It also lets you Power Attack with a throw, which, when combined with Knockback, will let you bull rush on a throw.

HAH as if any sane DM allows Hulking Hurler. :smalltongue: Besides, I'd kinda like to do it as a human.

Dublock
2009-09-01, 12:41 PM
HAH as if any sane DM allows Hulking Hurler. :smalltongue: Besides, I'd kinda like to do it as a human.

Humans can't have nice things :smalltongue::smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2009-09-01, 12:41 PM

Funnily, HH by itself is not a terribly impressive class in terms of power - you need the absurd Strength score and carrying capacity granted by the other parts of the build to really break it, it's just an enabler on its own. A few levels of HH slapped on a Giant NPC can make a very cool enemy that isn't significantly higher-CR than a non-leveled one.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-01, 12:44 PM

Permanancied Enlarge Person? Stoneblessed + Mountainous Rage? There's all kinds of ways to get Large size. You know this better than most.

It's not like you are trying to throw Anti-Osmium shotputs for WTFPWN damage, just be able to bull rush at range.

Person_Man
2009-09-01, 01:37 PM

Knockback weapon enhancement from Complete Warrior, pg 135. However, it's the projectile that makes the Bull Rush attempt, not you. And I think it was nerfed in the Magic Item Compendium.

Eldariel
2009-09-01, 02:08 PM
Humans can't have nice things :smalltongue::smalltongue:

Yeah, 'cause Humans don't get cool martial stuff, they have to go casters and become Gods. OH THE HUMANITY!

Faleldir
2009-09-01, 02:09 PM
Actually, the requirements are Large size or Powerful Build. Stoneblessed doesn't grant Powerful Build, so you can't get access to Knockback that way. So you need to be a Half Giant, Half Ogre, Goliath, or some other Large race.
Hey, you're right! Stupid Crystal Keep.

AslanCross
2009-09-01, 05:47 PM
It's better to just get a Brutal Surge weapon, IMO. Brutal Surge can potentially knock your opponent away further, and doesn't cost you a feat.

EDIT: Awesome Blow is only really worth it if you deal a LOT of damage, IMO, as its Reflex save DC is equal to the damage dealt.

PanNarrans
2009-09-02, 02:07 AM
Aha! That's interesting, as I was really thinking of 'a way to get Knockback in D&D'. Turns out there's a feat and a weapon which does just that. :smallsmile:

Thanks guys!

Person_Man
2009-09-02, 11:06 AM
Note that Brutal Surge only works Con bonus +1 times per day. So it's a very useful low level enchantment, especially if you have a reach weapon, Combat Reflexes, and Karmic Strike. You might also want to pick up the Shield of the Severed Hand. Once per round it grants you a free Bull Rush whenever an enemy attacks you and misses. Requires True Believer feat and 7 HD. Complete Divine or Magic Item Compendium.

But be wary that by mid-high levels you're going to burn through your Brutal Surge uses rather quickly, and the Shield of the Severed Hand is going to be of little use against ranged enemies, most casters, and mook rushes. You should also be aware that Bull Rushes have little effect on very big/strong enemies. So it's a fun tactic to have in your arsenal, but don't depend on it for every combat.

awa
2009-09-02, 01:13 PM
A level 15 totemist can do it with their worm tail belt
also a level 18 charecter with 17 con can use the open greater chakra feat to gain the worm tail belt