PDA

View Full Version : Awakened Rat character

Kylarra
2009-09-01, 10:07 AM
Because Fax is an evil evil man, he got me interested in making an awakened rat.

I was thinking unarmed swordsage named "Splinter".

Assume all books are allowed.

We've got a cleric, a bard and a rogue so far, so I'm not really needed to fill a role in particular. There might be one other player, but for now assume just those 3. I believe the bard is a dragonfire inspiration bard, not positive about the other two's plans.

Above idea is just spur of the moment amusement, but whatever amusing combinations would be cool. Another thought I had was a druid of some sort too. My thought is mainly that I'll just ride along with one of the other characters until I need to actually do something.

Starting at Level 10.
32 pb
Houserules allow for weapon finesse to add dex to damage instead strength.

Zaq
2009-09-01, 10:27 AM
That's nice.

So, what do you want us to do? You want advice? If so, we need more than that! What level, how big is the party, what role do you want to fill, and so on...

Kylarra
2009-09-01, 10:35 AM
That's nice.

So, what do you want us to do? You want advice? If so, we need more than that! What level, how big is the party, what role do you want to fill, and so on...
Yeah yeah, ruin my fun with your logic. :smalltongue: Added some more details anyway.

Pika...
2009-09-01, 10:38 AM
If I was so fortunate to have a DM who would allow this,

First I'd keep that DM for life.

Second, I'd take that feat that lets you enter an opponents square without AOOs as long you are at least two size categories smaller, and go full combat class:

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7754/screenshot2tr5.png

HereticNox
2009-09-01, 10:38 AM
Awakened Animals are difficult to change to PCs. I wanted to start a game where all the PC's were awakened animals. Unless the DM just decided to simplify everything, and eliminate all your animal HD (with your skills and such)

First thing that comes to mind is something to increase your movement, since you can only move 15 feet.

I wouldn't bother investing skill points in balance/swim/climb since you have fantastic modifiers for it. Plus the ability to take 10 on climb and swim checks. Only if you have an animal hd.

Invest heavily in tumble, since you are tiny and have to move into the enemy's square to attack. Which will provoke an AoO every time.

Also keep in mind that you have no natural reach, so you don't threaten any squares. You can't make any AoO yourself, and you can't flank.

Myou
2009-09-01, 10:40 AM
I'd take that feat that lets you enter an opponents square without AOOs as long you are at least two size categories smaller

Where are those from?

Kylarra
2009-09-01, 10:47 AM
I was thinking Giantbane (Cwar), Confound the Big Folk (Rotw), but I'd forgotten about Underfoot Combat until you just reminded me. The problem is that CtBF and Underfoot combot both require tumble 10, which means I can only have one at level 10. :smallfrown:

I'll see if my DM will allow me to swap out the two RHD for martial class levels later.

Pika...
2009-09-01, 11:02 AM
I was thinking Giantbane (Cwar), Confound the Big Folk (Rotw), but I'd forgotten about Underfoot Combat until you just reminded me. The problem is that CtBF and Underfoot combot both require tumble 10, which means I can only have one at level 10. :smallfrown:

I'll see if my DM will allow me to swap out the two RHD for martial class levels later.

Aren't one (or both) of those fighter bonus feats?

Kylarra
2009-09-01, 11:06 AM
Aren't one (or both) of those fighter bonus feats?Giantbane is, but the other two aren't, I'm afraid.

Irreverent Fool
2009-09-01, 11:11 AM
I recall seeing a story of an awakened rat who had also been granted an unnaturally long life (for a rat) and had turned to the pursuit of arcane magic in hopes of creating more rats like himself.

Unfortunately I've lost the link. I'll see if I can find it. It's a great read and an awesome character concept.

Edit: I know I mention this every other thread, but I cannot stress just how great Insightful Strike (ToB maneuver) is when you are a tiny creature.

obnoxious
sig

Johel
2009-09-01, 11:12 AM
I don't have the Swordsage rules so :

An awakened animal gets 3d6 Intelligence, +1d3 Charisma, and +2 HD. Its type becomes magical beast (augmented animal).

An awakened tree or animal can speak one language that you know, plus one additional language that you know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any)

Splinter, awakened rat, no level
Tiny Magical Beast (Augmented Animal)
Hit Dice: 2d8+1/4d8 = 9hp
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), climb 15 ft., swim 15 ft.
Abilities : Str 2, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 3d6, Wis 12, Cha 1d3+2
Natural attack : Bite +4 melee (1d3-4)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Feats : Stealthy, Weapon Finesse
Racial Skills : Balance +10, Climb +12, Hide +16,
Move Silently +10, Swim +10
Awakened Skills : (2+(Int mod)) x 2

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm#abilityScoresforMonsterPCs
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#tableChangestoStatisticsbySi ze
Awakened Rat template :
Tiny size
Str -8, Dex +4, Wis +2, Cha -4 (size modifier already included)
Hit Dices : +2d8 pv

+8 size bonus on Hide checks
+4 racial bonus on Hide checks
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks
+8 racial bonus on Balance checks
+8 racial bonus on Climb checks. A rat can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. A rat uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb checks.
+8 racial bonus on Swim checks. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line. A rat uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Swim checks.

15 ft. (3 squares), climb 15 ft., swim 15 ft.

+2 size bonus to AC
+2 size bonus to BAB

Natural weapon : Bite +4 melee (1d3+Str)
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Racial feats : Stealthy, Weapon Finesse

Irreverent Fool
2009-09-01, 11:18 AM
Awakened Rat template :

The template should mention the intelligence change.

/borrow

obnoxious
sig

Johel
2009-09-01, 11:20 AM
The template should mention the intelligence change.

/borrow

obnoxious
sig

Well, the intelligence is now point-buy.
3d6 is an average of 10,5.
This is what your average commoner get.
Either we give it a +2 Int for "racial reason" or we ignore it because it's not significant (well, for a PC, it's not significant. It is for most random rats !! :smalltongue:)

EDIT : we could give it a malus in Charisma, since the average charisma of an awakened rat is 4

Fax Celestis
2009-09-01, 11:24 AM
I recall seeing a story of an awakened rat who had also been granted an unnaturally long life (for a rat) and had turned to the pursuit of arcane magic in hopes of creating more rats like himself.

Unfortunately I've lost the link. I'll see if I can find it. It's a great read and an awesome character concept.

Right here. Silus, the Rat Lich, care of one AKA Bait.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-01, 11:32 AM
Have you considered an Anthromorphic rat from savage species instead? it might be easier to use for a player character than an Awakened animal. and you can still apply nearly the same backstory, just have the effects of "awakening" alter your body as well.

The awakened template wouldn't give you opposable thumbs. . .

Kylarra
2009-09-01, 11:34 AM
Right here. Silus, the Rat Lich, care of one AKA Bait.
That does make me idly wonder if the child of two awakened rats would be awakened too...

Fax Celestis
2009-09-01, 11:36 AM
Have you considered an Anthromorphic rat from savage species instead? it might be easier to use for a player character than an Awakened animal. and you can still apply nearly the same backstory, just have the effects of "awakening" alter your body as well.

No, but rats, raccoons, otters, and squirrels all possess opposable thumbs to begin with, so awaken doesn't' enter in the equation.

Kylarra
2009-09-01, 11:38 AM

The "problem" with the anthro rat is that then I'd be small and not tiny, and that's a bit less amusing, and also means I can't just piggyback, in a literal sense.

Pika...
2009-09-01, 11:54 AM
The "problem" with the anthro rat is that then I'd be small and not tiny, and that's a bit less amusing, and also means I can't just piggyback, in a literal sense.

Ahh. Fond memories just came up. My favorite character of all time was an awaken psion cat.

He never let on to the party who/what he really was, except for the pixie who pretended to be his "master" (when she left the role was later filled by the kind dwarf). He was a telepath, and always suppressed his powers' displays. Pus his hid and move silently were boosted through the roof. None of the PCs were able to figure out why exactly strange things occasionally happened, since they never passed their sense motives or intelligence checks when the DM ruled they had the opportunity (non-metagaming basically). They were also pretty confused why creatures would occasionally turn from their side, then kneel before the dwarf and swear loyalty.

Good times. :smallsmile:

Cieyrin
2009-09-01, 12:35 PM
Well, the intelligence is now point-buy.
3d6 is an average of 10,5.
This is what your average commoner get.
Either we give it a +2 Int for "racial reason" or we ignore it because it's not significant (well, for a PC, it's not significant. It is for most random rats !! :smalltongue:)

EDIT : we could give it a malus in Charisma, since the average charisma of an awakened rat is 4

Yeah, I was wondering about the Charisma penalty, as animals in general tend to worry less about being persuasive and more about being combat fit. (Except kitties, perhaps. Begging for table scraps and generally getting their way.:smallwink:)

Also, a general Awakened Animal template would be pretty sweet. I was looking for something like it but, well, it seems a conundrum where LA comes in...

Johel
2009-09-01, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about the Charisma penalty, as animals in general tend to worry less about being persuasive and more about being combat fit. (Except kitties, perhaps. Begging for table scraps and generally getting their way.:smallwink:)

Also, a general Awakened Animal template would be pretty sweet. I was looking for something like it but, well, it seems a conundrum where LA comes in...

The spell "Awaken" gives a detail of the major changes.
Basically, you take the animal, it becomes a magical beast, get +2 HD and +1d3 Cha, has his intelligence change for 3d6 Int and get to learn 1 language among those of the caster.

So, for our little Splinter :

Intelligence bonus and Charisma malus ?
Just Charisma malus ? (average Cha = 4, so that's a -4 or -6 malus)
Just Intelligence bonus ? (average Int = 10, so that's a +2 or +0 bonus)
Or neither of them ?

Fax Celestis
2009-09-01, 12:47 PM
3d6 is an unadjusted +0 score for Int. I'd say -4 Cha would be fine.

Epinephrine
2009-09-01, 01:14 PM
No, but rats, raccoons, otters, and squirrels all possess opposable thumbs to begin with, so awaken doesn't' enter in the equation.

None of those animals have an opposable thumb, though they all have pretty good dexterity with their paws.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-01, 01:31 PM
None of those animals have an opposable thumb, though they all have pretty good dexterity with their paws.

Huh, I guess they don't. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposable_thumbs#Other_animals_with_opposable_thum bs) Still, it's not a far stretch to give them with the awaken spell.

Cieyrin
2009-09-01, 01:43 PM
They may not have thumbs but that doesn't mean they can't manipulate objects like one with their paws. I've been robbed by more than one raccoon opening zippers on various camping trips, so it's not too out there to let them function enough to use objects as normal, perhaps with a penalty for not having fully functional thumb-like digits.

The spell "Awaken" gives a detail of the major changes.

I know what they give, I mean making them fully playable PCs, as some of the more powerful animals shouldn't just be hit dice and no LA. An awakened dire lion probably isn't equivalent to an 8th level character, ECL-wise.