PDA

View Full Version : Assitance Request: Attaching Pillow Fluff to Cloth

Ravens_cry
2009-09-01, 12:37 PM
Hello fellow Playgrounders, it's getting close, two months anyway and I like to be prepared, to that most bestest of holidays, Halloween, and I have a conundrum. One of my ideas for a costume would be going as a genie. The idea for the lower half was to buy a bunch of fluff from fluff filled pillows with a trail leading to a brass lantern, like the iconic genie cloud. However, I know this stuff isn't the strongest, so I wanted to attach most of it to a base skirt. But how? Sewing, I know would work, well, terribly. But what then?
For any assistance, I would be more then grateful.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-09-01, 01:06 PM
Glue, perhaps? I would go to a Hobby Lobby, find the part of the store that has the fluff in it (do they call it batting? stuffing?) and then see what glue is on the rack nearby or ask one of the employees.

Ravens_cry
2009-09-01, 01:25 PM
Glue, perhaps? I would go to a Hobby Lobby, find the part of the store that has the fluff in it (do they call it batting? stuffing?) and then see what glue is on the rack nearby or ask one of the employees.
I was considering glue in general. However, we don't have a Hobby Lobby or similar craft store within personal reach. But thank you.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-01, 01:41 PM
...train a bunch of sheep to follow you around?

Quincunx
2009-09-01, 01:53 PM
Why not sewing? It's quick, it's cheap, and hand sewing items should be available even where craft stores aren't. Don't use close stitches, but just do single stitches several inches apart, like putting dents into the center of pillows; knot the thread, do the stitch, tie another knot, cut off excess. "Tied quilting" is the key phrase if you want to look up tutorials.

Stuffing is the formless fluff stuffed inside puffy objects and falls apart in clumps; batting comes in rolls which hold together of their own accord. Stuffing is what you want, if you do get access to a craft store, but cutting open lumpy pillows will work just as well. (Square or round couch pillows are filled with a foam pillow form--no fluff.)

Where's the lantern going to go--is it going to be an actual object or an appliqué on the skirt?

Ravens_cry
2009-09-01, 07:40 PM
Why not sewing? It's quick, it's cheap, and hand sewing items should be available even where craft stores aren't. Don't use close stitches, but just do single stitches several inches apart, like putting dents into the center of pillows; knot the thread, do the stitch, tie another knot, cut off excess. "Tied quilting" is the key phrase if you want to look up tutorials.
"Tied quiliting", eh? I will search for that, thanks ever so much!

Where's the lantern going to go--is it going to be an actual object or an appliqué on the skirt?
It going to be an actual brass lamp, I don't know, I found at a local thrift store. I plan to have a large twist of the fluff, and yes I mean pillow fluff, going off and attached to the mouth of lamp with glue. I was thinking maybe to stiffen the twist with hair spray so it doesn't fall apart so easily.