PDA

View Full Version : Looking for level 8 spell

Human Paragon 3
2009-09-01, 12:53 PM
Looking for the most powerful level 8 cleric spell possible for PVP matchup. The spell should auto-win or greatly slant the match in my favor. Most level 8s I have seen have oddly been only situationally useful, so I'm appealing to you for something a little more potent.

Myou
2009-09-01, 01:02 PM
You want a spell that lets you reliably auto-win? :smallyuk:

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-01, 01:06 PM
Looking for the most powerful level 8 cleric spell possible for PVP matchup. The spell should auto-win or greatly slant the match in my favor. Most level 8s I have seen have oddly been only situationally useful, so I'm appealing to you for something a little more potent.

Greater Arcane Fusion into Solid Fog+Dimension Lock=4 or more rounds for you to buff. That is more or less an auto-win for a full caster.

Johel
2009-09-01, 01:07 PM

Hum...
If you're against a Wizard...
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm

Just rush melee and win.

SparkMandriller
2009-09-01, 01:12 PM
Holy word with some +1 metamagic?

Wait no use dictum dictum has a way cooler name.

Keld Denar
2009-09-01, 01:12 PM
8th level doesn't have much, but if you have 8th level, you have 7th level, and Holy Word and its kin can produce a reliable win if you can divine your foes alignment. Just stack on a couple of caster level boosters like Divine Spell Power and a Bead of Karma and you can auto-paralyze your foe, and if you can get your CL up to 10 levels higher than your foe, you'll autokill them, no save. Plus, with +10 to your CL, its not like SR is really gonna be a problem either.

Eldariel
2009-09-01, 02:19 PM
Core: Anti-Magic Field, Greater Planar Ally, Dimensional Lock. Beyond that, the spells require preparations (Symbols) or are defensive and thus something you should have on when the arena fight starts (Holy Aura-line, Greater Spell Immunity) or handy for a hunt (Discern Location).

Domain-slots or heightened lower level spells are your best bet for offense here with the following Domains being extremely useful:
Luck: Moment of Prescience!
Protection: Mind Blank!
Strength: Bigby's Clenched Fist (it's handy if not "Iwin")
Time: Foresight
Trickery: POLYMORPH ANY OBJECT!!
War: Power Word: Stun

Out-of-Core: True Domination (Domination-domain, SpC)

Shas aia Toriia
2009-09-01, 02:20 PM
Avasculate.

Ranged touch attack to take away half their HP, no saving throw.

Eldariel
2009-09-01, 02:26 PM
Avasculate.

Ranged touch attack to take away half their HP, no saving throw.

The key part was "CLERIC" in the OP. Avasculate is a Wiz/Sor spell. Though Avascular Mass is available in the Deathbound domain, I suppose.

ericgrau
2009-09-01, 03:32 PM
If the fight is underground, by a cliff, or in a building how about quicken silence on a rock + earthquake? Your opponent is pinned under rubble and can't teleport out, as 99% of people don't prep silent dimension door. No save, no attack rolls. Opponent is slowly crushed to death. Just make sure you prep your own protection or way out. Might not work on someone who's strength focused, but that's an unpopular dueling method. Also consider a greater metamagic rod of extend spell for the earthquake for 2 rounds of shaking. Though the shaking itself might not be that useful.