PDA

View Full Version : Which blend of evil are you?

Paganboy28
2009-09-01, 01:23 PM
Demon?
Devil?
Yugoloth?
Other?

Which side would you take in the Blood War and why?

Yora
2009-09-01, 01:28 PM
If any, then Yugoloth.

Devils are evil for evils sake and spend their entire existance making plans and advancing their plots to solify their power structures and expend their influence, without ever enjoying any rewards from it.
Demons are just too violent and usually don't care if they will get any rewards in the future. Graz'zt of course being an exception here. :smallbiggrin:

But I think if you choose to engange in evil, the Yogoloths got it mostly right. They wait for the right opportunities and know when to fold em. They desire neither to rule over others, or to destroy without cause They only care for their own personal benefits and always see that their own personal interests come before anything else. :smallmad:

Ravens_cry
2009-09-01, 01:29 PM
THERE MUST BE A LAW.
Devils, definitely devils. A bunch of scheming, plotting and back stabbing? Count me in!

Lord_Gareth
2009-09-01, 01:30 PM
Devil

Pragmatism can lead very easy into "necessary" cruelty, lack of empathy, and eventually a sort of self-justified sadism. Naturally inclined to be ruthless already, I prefer to take advantage of pre-existing systems, or else create a system which I may then exploit. By putting layers of bureaucracy, manipulations, and patsies between myself and my victim, I remove suspicion from myself and promote the system which sustains my own comfort, entertainment, and well-being - which are, of course paramount.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-09-01, 01:38 PM
Other, naturally. I feel like being good/neutral/anything that isn't monolithically bound to a single alignment. Yugoloths if that choice is open, because they're not Chaotic Evil Stupid like many demons (also, the Abyss is sort of suck), nor do they have the many (psychological as well as legal) strictures devils have. If it's simply a devil v. demon debate, devil.

Optimystik
2009-09-01, 01:40 PM
Can I pick Undead? Negative energy is just so much... neater... than all the fiendish pseudo-philosophy.

ghost_warlock
2009-09-01, 01:54 PM
**** that noise, I'm signing up with the Far Realm!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Spiryt
2009-09-01, 02:01 PM
Zdrada Baatezu nie zaskoczy,
sam zawsze kłamie w żywe oczy...

:smallamused:

I think I would pick Devils.

I'm generally I bit more chaotic than not, but Devils just seem way more interesting.

Ormur
2009-09-01, 02:01 PM
Other, a neutral good guy that fell when he pulled an Ozimandias from Watchmen. Is that lawful evil?

hamishspence
2009-09-01, 02:10 PM
Could be any shade of evil. The Ends Justify The Means is a trope that the Lawful and Chaotic alike can use as their excuse for what they do.

Neutral Evil is a bit harder to justify but "murder millions to save billions" might fit, if they aren't much interested in law or chaos.

"Sell souls of millions into eternity as fiends, to save billions" would be a good example of someone crossing comfortably into evil.

Hijax
2009-09-01, 02:11 PM
Im siding with the far realm. period.

That may not be dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.

alternatively, an imp wizard/demonologist/malconvoker/nar demonbinder that specializes in summoning/binding demons.

Paganboy28
2009-09-01, 02:15 PM
Way I see it...

Demons are far to chaotic and random to be anything more than minions for "sensible" people...

Devils are more "honourable" (if thats the right word) in that they do actually follow some sort of rules.

Yugoloths are ugly...

Undead might be a possibility though the nightmare of all those undead turning and rebuking clerics would get annoying.

Far Realms are just too mad in that anything goes and usually does.

So all in all I think I would be a Devil... though maybe one that has gone to Material Plane to recruit fresh minions. I think Imps are great.

Spiryt
2009-09-01, 02:21 PM
But is Far Realm really evil? :smallconfused:

I thought that the whole point is that it's.... far. Alien.

Guancyto
2009-09-01, 02:26 PM
Probably a nice Colombian blend, maybe with some cream and sugar.

Mmm, fresh brewed evil.

Hijax
2009-09-01, 02:27 PM

well, its evil too.
And good, chaotic, lawful and neutral. Its literally everything.

hamishspence
2009-09-01, 02:42 PM
Its natives tend to be evil (uvuudaums (Epic Handbook), and daelkyr, in the Eberron version of the Far Realm- Xoriat)

The plane itself is not aligned.

arguskos
2009-09-01, 02:54 PM
Eh, the Far Realm is "evil" by mortal understanding and logic only, not because its inhabitants are naturally malevolent. They're just soooo damn different than you or I that we percive their motives and goals as evil, where the truth is that they are simply incomprehensible.

As for myself, probably Yugoloth. I don't care much for rules or not, but I'll use either to get ahead if need be. :smallamused:

Paganboy28
2009-09-01, 02:55 PM

Everything from the Far Realm seems to want to take over the Material Plane, so that makes them evil.

Indon
2009-09-01, 02:58 PM
Demon. The evil within me is a simple creature, concerned with immediate pleasures like marauding, gluttony, hearing the lamentations of miscellaneous significant others, and so on.

Hijax
2009-09-01, 02:58 PM
Everything from the Far Realm seems to want to take over the Material Plane, so that makes them evil.

so... the fact that the church wants to dominate other religions than their own(even other good ones), a practice that basically everyone but the sovereign host employs, makes them evil?

Morty
2009-09-01, 03:01 PM

The key word is "seems to". I like to think of Far Realm and its denizens as beyond usual "evil". If we call them Evil like Demons or Devils they stop being incomprehensible horrors and kind of become yet another bunch of man-eating tentacled critters.

arguskos
2009-09-01, 03:04 PM
No, it makes them have a goal. Their goal may in fact to rule the Material Plane so we all can eat cupcakes and candy, while riding a mashmellow to the Gumdrop Mountains, who the hell knows? Hell, that's my goal! ;)

They aren't "evil" as we understand it. The Far Realm, by definition, is vastly beyond our comprehension. Our puny pathetic minds can barely even contain their VISAGE, much less their motives! We look at them and gibber. Don't presume to call them "evil" and for it to be appropriate.

Optimystik
2009-09-01, 03:05 PM
They aren't "evil" as we understand it. The Far Realm, by definition, is vastly beyond our comprehension. Our puny pathetic minds can barely even contain their VISAGE, much less their motives! We look at them and gibber. Don't presume to call them "evil" and for it to be appropriate.

Well, hamish is right - most of them are Evil. It's the PLANE that isn't.

hamishspence
2009-09-01, 03:07 PM
yes- the reality warping cysts of the Far Realm in Dragon 330 were an interesting concept.

Playing up the "they corrupt reality" and playing down the "evil" might help to increase the creepiness, over the "evilness"

A bit like The Warp in 40K- mutating, changing things it touches.

Innis Cabal
None of the above. Implying Evil as a single constant is a silly convention that does not take the wide spectrum of cultural variations into consideration.

arguskos
Well, hamish is right - most of them are Evil. It's the PLANE that isn't.
*sigh* Only by game mechanics. If you actually READ the damn info about the Far Realm, it clearly states that we can't understand their minds enough to really know their philosophy.

Yes, mechanically, they register as evil, because the universe can't contain their true thoughts (Far Realm is beyond the universe and all that). It's like if you give a sorting machine something it doesn't understand, it'll still sort it, it just won't be right, because the machine can't process it correctly.

Sorry, I just realized I'm being a bit snippy. My apologies, I'll tone it down a touch. :smallredface:

hamishspence
2009-09-01, 03:11 PM
Maybe its more the littler ones- the ones that actually cross into the Material Plane, that are evil.

I'm not sure what would happen if you cast "Detect Evil" on one of the continent-sized masses on the Far realm if it ever came near (and if the caster managed to survive the warping influence some of these masses generate, according to Ecology of the Kaorti (not necessarily canon).

Possibly it would do weird things.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-09-01, 03:14 PM
So Far Realm entities are sort of like zombies and skeletons, then? Register as evil when they're really not?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-01, 03:18 PM
Check my name and sig, then you tell me. :smallbiggrin: Baatezu forever!

hamishspence
2009-09-01, 03:28 PM
Dragon 330 stats out four- the Cranial Encyster, the Kaortic Hulk, the Nightseed, and the Amoebic Crawler.

The first two have intelligence and are "Always Neutral Evil"

The second two lack intelligence, and are "Always Neutral"

Suggesting that, unlike undead, unintelligent Far Realm Entities are Neutral rather than generally Evil.

(These tend to be more "Material plane creatures that strayed onto the Far Realm and were changed by it", than natives, though)

Optimystik
2009-09-01, 03:30 PM
*sigh* Only by game mechanics. If you actually READ the damn info about the Far Realm, it clearly states that we can't understand their minds enough to really know their philosophy.

Yes, mechanically, they register as evil, because the universe can't contain their true thoughts (Far Realm is beyond the universe and all that). It's like if you give a sorting machine something it doesn't understand, it'll still sort it, it just won't be right, because the machine can't process it correctly.

Thoughts and philosophy are not what determine alignment; actions are. I'm sorry, but something with an INT of 32 probably knows what it's doing when it's attacking people on sight. (People that are foolish enough to make that trek, anyway.)

J.Gellert
2009-09-01, 03:38 PM
None of the above; I am my own blend of evil (as the ents would have said, I am on no side, because no one is on my side).

If I had to choose, I'd say demons. At least they have fun, and half-succubi.

Melamoto
2009-09-01, 03:40 PM
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Mak Thuum Ngatha R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Fix'd.

Faulty
2009-09-01, 03:43 PM
Demons. They have succubi.

strawberryman
2009-09-01, 03:48 PM
Yugoloth, bordering on demon. While I'd consider myself Chaotic in an alignment sense of some sort, I do have some Lawful tendencies in that I don't go back on my word, keep promises, and whatnot. Also Yugoloths seem to be the most self-serving, to me. Which is what I'd go with if I were Evil. :smallbiggrin:

Would probably have lots of demon "friends", though.

hamishspence
2009-09-01, 03:53 PM
Thoughts and philosophy are not what determine alignment; actions are. I'm sorry, but something with an INT of 32 probably knows what it's doing when it's attacking people on sight. (People that are foolish enough to make that trek, anyway.)

Dragon 358's Ecology of the Kaorti (by James Jacobs) had an interesting bit on a Far Realm entity warping creatures unintentionally just by approaching them:

In ancient Imaskar, long before Martek came to rule, and yet long after the Elder Elves pierced the veils between reality and unreality, a sect of proud and elite wizards called the Quin (after the Imaskari word for "entitled") discoved ancient tablets bearing fragments of the Elder Elves' magic.

Working from these fragments, the Quin became obsessed with the concept of reality beyond reality and wondered whether great magic might lie hidden in such a realm. Eager to be hailed for what they fel would be a great discovery by wary about repeating the Elder Elves' mistake, they constructed a structure that would transport them to the Far Realm rather than bring the Far Realm to them.

Their work was highly publicized, and as they neared the end of ten years of toil creating what had come to be known as the Quinspire, the entire nation watched expectantly, hoping the Quin would return with fabulous resources and powers to elevate their proud nation even higher. The Quin made bold promises, and even started work on projects to be finished after their return, but when the time came and the Quin activated their tower, they simply vanished. All that remained were the tower's lowest foundation stones. Eventually, Imaskar forgot the Quin, and then Imaskar itself crumbled and was all but forgotten.

Yet the doom triggered so long ago by the Quin has only now began. For their experiment was a success. They arrived safely on the Far Realm, yet they did not remain safe for long- they had vastly underestimated the sheer hostility and alien nature of the Far Realm, and their tiny mote of Material Plane Matter was like a beacon.

Within minutes of their arrival, a vast and ancient entity named Zurguth, one of those the aboleths know as the Elder Evils, came to investigate the disturbance. Yet so potent was Zurgath's existence that its very proximity changed the Quin and their works. They were transformed into something new, and when Zurgath arrived and turned its mind to them, it found nothing to see, for nothing remained of the Quin but their Far Realm translation. They had become the first kaortis.

Thrawn183
2009-09-01, 04:01 PM
Backstabbing politics? Screw that survivor garbage. I prefer it when everyone's my enemy all the time. Go team of 1 demon.

quick_comment
2009-09-01, 04:15 PM
Demons. They have succubi.

Devils have erinyes and pleasure devils.

Tiki Snakes
2009-09-01, 04:23 PM
Devils have erinyes and pleasure devils.

And Succubi. Well, they do now, anyway.

Crafty Cultist
2009-09-01, 04:26 PM
Demons

Nothing releives stress like indiscriminate slaughter, and the abyss always has more to explore

Yukitsu
2009-09-01, 04:29 PM
My brand of evil has been described as a fallen paladin that still fights for the cause, even though he knows he has fallen.

mostlyharmful
2009-09-01, 04:43 PM
Half fiend nonspecific.... cause mortals are so much squishier than the toys you get in the outer planes.:smallbiggrin:

SilverClawShift
2009-09-01, 04:45 PM
Thoughts and philosophy are not what determine alignment; actions are.

But actions are the result of a thought process reaching some kind of conclusion (as far as alignment is concerned. There's no evil where there is no thought, if something is mindless, it's just doing what it does, like a tornado.)

The far realm is so utterly bizzarre to any conception of our universe or reality that attempting to apply any kind of quantification on them would be an exercise in futility. You can't even quanity what the 'entities' from the far realm actually ARE. They're not even creatures as a mortal mind (or immortal mind) could accurately envision.
What happens when you mix our world, with it's 'gravity' and 'physics' and it's strange linear-progression-of-time, with the far realm with....well, with none of those and nothing we can pin down without our minds cracking apart from trying to observe it...
It's not fair to call that interaction good or evil. It's more akin to a chemical reaction like fire. Fire burns wood. That's just what happens when it comes into contact with it. Trying to apply any mundane 'morals' to it is like trying to describe how a color tastes (leaving aside green nyquil, which does actually taste like the color green. Other colors don't have tastes. That's just a universal anomaly).

Actually, a really good short story by Stephen King called "I Am the Doorway" does a good job of pointing out what I'm struggling to put into words. Specifically the part where the main character describes what's it's like to be seeing the world through the 'mind' of whatever psuedo-real entitiy is pushing into our reality through him. Describing being overwhelemed with the sheer horror of a simple leather bound book ("An alien object of immpossibly simple angles, with no discernible purpose").
There's no good or evil there. There's no defineable moral quanitifcation at all, and any attempt to FORCE a definition will inherently be an oversimplification.

Your physiology is incompatible, and unfortunately, not strong enough to survive an interaction. Sucks to be mortal.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-09-01, 06:44 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MotP/Far_Realm_Entity.jpg

Evil's fun, but Chaos is where it's at.

SurlySeraph
2009-09-01, 06:59 PM
Devils. Uphold the Pact Primeval, enforce order upon the universe, stab demons in the face... it's almost like being a paladin, except you get to take pleasure and amusement in all the wanton killing and don't have to spend time protecting the helpless! And erinyes are always a nice bonus.

Jalor
2009-09-01, 07:44 PM
Yugoloth. Chaotic Evil though I am, the Demons are Chaotic Stupid Evil. Except for the obyriths. Being an obyrith would be cool. But being an arcanaloth would be equally awesome. And most obyriths don't fight in the Blood War, so I don't even think they count for the purposes of this topic.

arguskos
2009-09-01, 07:58 PM
But actions are the result of a thought process reaching some kind of conclusion (as far as alignment is concerned. There's no evil where there is no thought, if something is mindless, it's just doing what it does, like a tornado.)

The far realm is so utterly bizzarre to any conception of our universe or reality that attempting to apply any kind of quantification on them would be an exercise in futility. You can't even quanity what the 'entities' from the far realm actually ARE. They're not even creatures as a mortal mind (or immortal mind) could accurately envision.
What happens when you mix our world, with it's 'gravity' and 'physics' and it's strange linear-progression-of-time, with the far realm with....well, with none of those and nothing we can pin down without our minds cracking apart from trying to observe it...
It's not fair to call that interaction good or evil. It's more akin to a chemical reaction like fire. Fire burns wood. That's just what happens when it comes into contact with it. Trying to apply any mundane 'morals' to it is like trying to describe how a color tastes (leaving aside green nyquil, which does actually taste like the color green. Other colors don't have tastes. That's just a universal anomaly).

Actually, a really good short story by Stephen King called "I Am the Doorway" does a good job of pointing out what I'm struggling to put into words. Specifically the part where the main character describes what's it's like to be seeing the world through the 'mind' of whatever psuedo-real entitiy is pushing into our reality through him. Describing being overwhelemed with the sheer horror of a simple leather bound book ("An alien object of immpossibly simple angles, with no discernible purpose").
There's no good or evil there. There's no defineable moral quanitifcation at all, and any attempt to FORCE a definition will inherently be an oversimplification.

Your physiology is incompatible, and unfortunately, not strong enough to survive an interaction. Sucks to be mortal.
Yes! This right here is why you can't simply go "hurrhurrFarRealmbeEvilzlawl". I tried explaining this before, but SCS is better than me at it. :smallbiggrin:

Blue Ghost
2009-09-01, 08:03 PM
Why are the celestials never developed as much as the fiends? It seems that the Blood War gets all the attention.
If I were evil, I would like to be able to alternate between devil and demon. The intrigues and plots of the devils are fascinating, but I would like to engage in some mindless violence once in a while.
But frankly, Good offers so much more than evil ever can.

arguskos
2009-09-01, 08:06 PM
Why are the celestials never developed as much as the fiends? It seems that the Blood War gets all the attention.
If I were evil, I would like to be able to alternate between devil and demon. The intrigues and plots of the devils are fascinating, but I would like to engage in some mindless violence once in a while.
Because most players seem to care more about being evil bastards than actually attempting to understand the nature of Good.

Oh. Wait. Those are just MY players. :smallannoyed:

Honestly though, I'd buy a Celestial Codex or three.

TheArchmage
2009-09-01, 08:17 PM
I'd say Yugoloth bordering on Devil for me. Although I would totally go for Far Realm, given the choice. Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!!!

Thajocoth
2009-09-01, 08:33 PM
If I was gonna be something evil... I'd also want to be completely unpredictable, sadistic, and mind-boggling to look at. I'd say, of those three, certainly demon. However... An aberration would be a better fit. Perhaps some sort of intelligent (but insane) gibbering ooze creature.

The Glyphstone
2009-09-01, 08:39 PM
Obryith. Whippersnapper demons taking over our plane....

TheThan
2009-09-01, 08:52 PM
I would totally be the moustache twirling, opera cape and top hat wearing variety of evil.

Why? Because according to snidely K whiplash himself, the bad guy gets to have all the fun.

Besides that, I’ve practiced my evil laugh!

Muhuhahahahahahahah!

Pie Guy
2009-09-01, 09:23 PM
I'd be on whichever side is allowed to use the skill Craft (Laser). That side is destined to win.

Optimystik
2009-09-01, 09:54 PM

Their conflicts take place in a debate hall, and the occasional Eladrin prank. Hardly stuff worthy of a volume.

UnChosenOne
2009-09-01, 10:33 PM
Devil. After when you are (lawful) knight templar, joining to devils is both logical and quite simple...

ghost_warlock
2009-09-01, 10:35 PM

Take over? Pfft, I just want to dump my garbage and biological waste products here. That's all the material plane is really good for.

Set
2009-09-02, 05:13 AM
Rakshasa.

Blood War? What's that? Pass me another mug of bhang ki thandai and tell me of this Blood War. It sounds terribly unpleasant...

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-02, 06:20 AM
Definitively Devils.. if you want to do something, do it well.

Let's se, IC, what could think a devil of other outsiders..

"Chaos must be purged.

The celestial planes must be washed from that stink of holyness, their inhabitans drag to hell in chains. Eladrin and Guardinal are useless and must be destroyed. I'd suggest to exert particular cruelty when dispatching
Eladrins, they are creatures or chaos and must pay for it.

Archons could be tortured enough to be completely defiled and corrupted in fallen angels, new devils.

Tanar'ri must be annihilated, maybe utilizing their internal struggles to maximize the effectiveness of our attacks. The latest Obyrith should, if possible, killed at last to enjoy them see their dream of chaos destroyed. Tanar'ri are too despicable to enjoy so much remark.

Yugoloth are dangerous - better purge them, after a while.

Quori and Demodand - better bargain with them, can be useful jailers of the minds and the body of those who dare oppose our supremacy.

Countless primes - countless souls to manage. Rakshasa could be useful lieautenets in primes, but better leave watcher with them".

Indon
2009-09-02, 06:23 AM

The action that Mortals describe as 'being killed' is the Far Realm equivalent of saying "Hello," in a warm and pleasant greeting.

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-02, 06:34 AM
The action that Mortals describe as 'being killed' is the Far Realm equivalent of saying "Hello," in a warm and pleasant greeting.

The amount of "diversity" could change from Dm to Dm, and maye by the time the diverse creatures can interact, but as a general rule, I agree with you.

IMHO, the example of SilverClaw about "I'm the doorway" (I love that tale and I used it as inspiration in some of my games, as well as H.P.L. tales) is simply perfect.

Killer Angel
2009-09-02, 07:20 AM
IMHO, the example of SilverClaw about "I'm the doorway" (I love that tale and I used it as inspiration in some of my games, as well as H.P.L. tales) is simply perfect.

Yep, Night Shift is one of his best collection of short stories, and "I'm the doorway" is a perfect example on "alien intrusion".

Anyway, I stand for the Devils: a relatively small, organized group, Vs a huge amount of ruthless scum? works well for my epic sense. (and also: Go evil lawyer!)
Eventually, it's not bad some yugoloth.
Demons are not for my taste.

Kol Korran
2009-09-02, 01:43 PM
i have to join Set, and say i'd be a Rakshasa. why? several reasons:

devils and demons are all too entangled in their own societies, and that awefully stupid, taxing, annoying and futile blood war. Rakshasa usually work alone or in small numbers, free to go after their own whims, (most times at least). Rakshasas tend to be the bosses, not the underlings (again- in most cases)
material plain baby! not those sucky outer planes! i like variety, and the easy life the mortals have (well, easy if you're a rakshasa), not the tough environments of the hells or abyss. plus- i can't be dismissed like the pesky demons or devils or far siders that sometimes jump to be on this plain.
shapechanger: i love being a shapechanger. i know some of the succubi or other fiends can change shape as well, but they usually suck at the other departments i mentioned or will mention. being an immortal, i can leave countless lives in different personas. like a doppleganger, but with some extra powers.
DR: piercing and good? how often do you find that? never saw a guy wielding a holy spear yet! far less common then silver or cold iron and good (which most adventurers end up keeping. true, an enchanted holy bow still sucks, but less than the rest.
SR: bloody good spell resistence for my HD. better than most devils/ demons.
the main reason: while most devils/demon feel that they are evil because that's what they are, Rakshasa feel (at least to me) that they are evil because the ywant to! they looked at the options (ahem Deva), weighted the scales, and said "yep, i'm gonna be a wretched god damned bastard!" while the demons/ devils do what they do because they can't help be otherwise, the Rakshasa revels in it's evil.
to me, a Rakshasa embodies both greatest characteristics of both demon and devil- cunning and manipulation and patience of the devil, but at times wreckless savagry and violence of the demon.

the only thing that bugs me is the upturned hands, which i can't comfortably imagine...

but that is just me. i realy like these buggers. read some hindu tales about them- creepy...
Kol.

Wings of Peace
2009-09-02, 01:53 PM
Baernoloth. Why be a player when you made the game?

Zovc
2009-09-02, 02:21 PM
The evilest I get is True Neutral, and I sometimes feel bad about being that evil.

Delwugor
2009-09-02, 02:32 PM
My kind exists for the purpose of enjoying evil without stupid rules to limit it or the anarchy that keeps it unfocused. My Daemons will eventually rule the entire lower plains Blood Wars or not.

We exist solely to ensure that only might has the right to rule.
I exists solely to ensure that I have all the might.

Ecalsneerg
2009-09-02, 04:02 PM
Blue Dragon. You get to be a frickin' dragon. Who breathes lightning. And, unlike being a devil (another Lawful Evil creature), doesn't have demons attack him on site. Just give me a few age categories and some class levels (maybe in Druid, then Arcane Hierophant), and I'll just guard my horde. Ain't no Blood War here.

Oh, and you're more likely to not be Lawful. Neutral evil blue dragons unite!

JellyPooga
2009-09-02, 04:12 PM
"Please allow me to introduce myself,
I'm a man of wealth and taste.
Pleased to meet you,
hope you guessed my name."

Devils all the way, baby! If I'm going to be Evil with a Capital "E", then I want to do it in style...and you just don't get that with Demons. Sure, they got the whole destructive thing going and they're allowed to go around breaking their word, backstabbing each other and generally causing chaos, but real Evil just has that je ne sais quois that says "I've got the better of you and you don't even know it yet...see you in hell".

Now then, where did I put that fiddle...?

Delwugor
2009-09-02, 04:51 PM
Now then, where did I put that fiddle...?

*brings out the Charlie Daniels Band and watches Devils run away in panic and dismay*
That was easy, so much for the fine print paper pushers.
I always knew CDB would be handy to have around.

Blue Dragon.
Thanks, now I have a cool mount.

Neutral evil blue dragons unite!
Under ME!

Paganboy28
2009-09-03, 12:06 PM
Hmmm.... how about being a devil-possessed dragon.

Though I personally have a liking for Mind-flayers... give me brain anyday.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-03, 12:13 PM
I'm a neutral evil Drow warblade of Eris. who's a pyromaniac

Ravens_cry
2009-09-03, 12:15 PM
Though I personally have a liking for Mind-flayers... give me brain anyday.
All the fun of being a zombie, without all the rotting and decaying and mindlessness. Instead you're a smarty-pants mini Cthulhu with psychic powers. How much more fun can you get?

Mystic Muse
2009-09-03, 12:18 PM
All the fun of being a zombie, without all the rotting and decaying and mindlessness. Instead you're a smarty-pants mini Cthulhu with psychic powers. How much more fun can you get?

a Pyromaniac smarty pants mini cthulhu with psychic powers.:smallbiggrin:

do I have a problem?:smallconfused:

UnChosenOne
2009-09-03, 12:26 PM
do I have a problem?:smallconfused:

No. You don't have problem. And about Mind flayers yeah. I must say that there is nothing that beats half-devil/half-mind flayer demilich...

Ravens_cry
2009-09-03, 12:42 PM
No. You don't have problem. And about Mind flayers yeah. I must say that there is nothing that beats half-devil/half-mind flayer demilich...
That's one way to get a head. *ba Dum-TISH!*
Thank you folks, I'll be hear all night. EVERY night. Mu-Wa-HAHAHAHAH! ! !

Sydonai
2010-03-30, 04:02 PM
Yugoloth. Chaotic Evil though I am, the Demons are Chaotic Stupid Evil. Except for the obyriths. Being an obyrith would be cool. But being an arcanaloth would be equally awesome. And most obyriths don't fight in the Blood War, so I don't even think they count for the purposes of this topic.

I'm Obyrith all the way, a loyal follower of Pale Night.

Sydonai
2010-03-30, 04:05 PM
Obryith. Whippersnapper demons taking over our plane....

The Baatorians would like a word with you.

Telonius
2010-03-30, 04:11 PM
Offspring of an Imp and a Succubus.

Sydonai
2010-03-30, 04:12 PM
Definitively Devils.. if you want to do something, do it well.

Let's se, IC, what could think a devil of other outsiders..

"Chaos must be purged.

The celestial planes must be washed from that stink of holyness, their inhabitans drag to hell in chains. Eladrin and Guardinal are useless and must be destroyed. I'd suggest to exert particular cruelty when dispatching
Eladrins, they are creatures or chaos and must pay for it.

Archons could be tortured enough to be completely defiled and corrupted in fallen angels, new devils.

Tanar'ri must be annihilated, maybe utilizing their internal struggles to maximize the effectiveness of our attacks. The latest Obyrith should, if possible, killed at last to enjoy them see their dream of chaos destroyed. Tanar'ri are too despicable to enjoy so much remark.

Yugoloth are dangerous - better purge them, after a while.

Quori and Demodand - better bargain with them, can be useful jailers of the minds and the body of those who dare oppose our supremacy.

Countless primes - countless souls to manage. Rakshasa could be useful lieautenets in primes, but better leave watcher with them".

You forgot Obyrith, Loumou, and a dozen other breeds of demon, each strong enough to eat Bel for breackfast. Don't believe me? Do the Baate'zu have an Elder Evil among their ranks? No, just a Baatorian relic that would like to crush them into oblivion.

LibraryOgre
2010-03-30, 04:21 PM
I'm on the side of Good. The only ones who are winning the Blood War.

The Tygre
2010-03-30, 04:39 PM
I'm on the side of Good. The only ones who are winning the Blood War.

Are you? Are you really?

Yes, We suppose you are. Flap along, little sparrows. Go sing your hallelujahs and swing your fiery golden swords. A child is dieing of rot in the Hives of Sigil, but what does that matter? Half the people in the gate-towns can't read the words floating around your halos, but of what consequence is that? Another family asks not, "What will eat tomorrow?" but "Who will starve tonight?", but that's just how it goes, isn't it? Where's the glory in that? Where's the fame and adoration in charity when you can earn it tenfold for swinging a sword at some dretch and calling it 'justice'?

We hear what you are saying. We already hear the excuses and the lies. 'You can't save everyone', 'Good works in mysterious ways', 'Life is trial', 'Someone will care for them eventually'. Oh yes, We hear the pleasantries from behind your porcelain masks. We taught them to you. We taught you of lies and hate and greed, just as We taught the Baerns and the Qliphoth and the Baatorians. Go along. Pretend We do not exist. Resign Us as lumps of fat and oily grease living in the shadow of titans and should-be gods and all the trash that the multiverse needed to lock away. But We are watching, and We are waiting. A time will come when you all complete Our work. On that day, We That are the Worm, the Spider, and the Wasp will finish what we started on so many fields of black ice.

We are the Gehreleth, the Demodands.

And We are Legion, for We are many.

Greymane
2010-03-30, 04:53 PM

:smalleek:

When Asmodeus, lord and master of the Nine Hells has crushed the filthy, squirming, all-consuming chaos in the Blood War, you will have to be next.

You, all of you, are dangerous.

The Tygre
2010-03-30, 05:16 PM
:smalleek:

When Asmodeus, lord and master of the Nine Hells has crushed the filthy, squirming, all-consuming chaos in the Blood War, you will have to be next.

You, all of you, are dangerous.

Ah, but that is the wondrous thing about slime. We slip between the cracks and out from under pressure.

absolmorph
2010-03-30, 05:38 PM
I would probably be a mix of strawberry and chocolate, with a hint of mint.

Haberdashery
2010-03-30, 06:06 PM
Oh come now, the best evil comes from humanity itself. Specifically evil creatures you can expect and predict to be evil, and therefore aren't surprising when they stab you and play jump rope with your intestines. With humanity you can't predict a thing, which makes them all the more terrifying.

Here, to reinforce my point, is the lovely Shion Sonozaki.

http://kazasou.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/6874-shion.jpg

Eldan
2010-03-30, 06:17 PM
I'm in a Dilemma here. From the three choices given, I'd join the Yugoloths. They have the style, the substance, and the selfishness.

But Devils and Demons have all the cool NPCs. Graz'zt? Mephistopheles? Asmodeus? Orcus, for the Baern's sake. The general of gehenna is not nearly as cool.

Okay, there's Shemeshka. But not even she is that great compared to the others.

Now, for scariest evils... people always forget the Hordelings.

Winter_Wolf
2010-03-30, 06:25 PM
Probably a nice Colombian blend, maybe with some cream and sugar.

Mmm, fresh brewed evil.

You totally stole my joke. :smalltongue: Though I was thinking something along the lines of a Kona blend (which I don't even drink, but for the sake of the bit).

Probably align with the devils though. It's the fine print that'll get 'em in the end, after all.

Jayngfet
2010-03-30, 06:29 PM
Demons. Way I see it, they're infinite. Someone needs to keep them occupied so they don't hit a nonevil plane.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-30, 06:42 PM
I am a pseudonatural mind flayer.
When you see me you go mad,
But I just want to help.
To much infighting
Between you humanoids.
That is why be it demon
Devil, Celestial, or other.
You shall be... removed,
For the greater good you see.
We hope you don't disagree,
Otherwise it will be most unpleasant.

The Big Dice
2010-03-30, 08:46 PM
I have to say, D&D evil is a bit too obvious and a bit too limited. That's why I'm going for something that's both not D&D (though it was for a little bit) and my interpretation is not supported by it's publisher anymore.

I'm a place where just coming here endangers your immortal soul. Where fires burn a pitiful and sickly green and the air is thick with the smell of decay. Walk through me in one direction and I'll take you to a different place when you make your return trip. And everything here wants you. Some want to kill you and eat you, others want to play with you. But if you die here, you'll just come back as my mindless undead slave.

I am home to fallen gods, twisted demons and corrupt souls. Embrace me and I will give you power. But that power will eventually turn on you. Or turn you into a twisted, hate-filled remnant of what you were.

I am the Shadowlands. From 1st Edition Legend of the Five Rings.

Nerocite
2010-03-30, 09:06 PM
Pelor. The best kind of evil, the one you least suspect!

Arakune
2010-03-30, 09:23 PM
The burning hate? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147202)

Geiger Counter
2010-03-30, 09:29 PM
I'd work for any deakry that doesn't have a fetish for diseases/undead.

Unlike in most settings where you run into anything weird and unexplainable a wizard did it. In eberron there aren't enough high level wizards so it's usually a Dealkry did it.

Eldariel
2010-03-30, 09:35 PM
Pelor. The best kind of evil, the one you least suspect!

That kinda has went the way of the Spanish Inquisition though. Long ago, nobody expected it. Now everyone knows.

The Tygre
2010-03-30, 09:51 PM
Besides, Pelor is -so- last edition. Now the one to smear is Bahamut.

Get cracking, kids!

absolmorph
2010-03-30, 10:01 PM
That kinda has went the way of the Spanish Inquisition though. Long ago, nobody expected it. Now everyone knows.
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUI- oh, that wasn't our cue.
CURSES!

LibraryOgre
2010-03-30, 10:02 PM
Are you? Are you really?

Yes, We suppose you are. Flap along, little sparrows. Go sing your hallelujahs and swing your fiery golden swords. A child is dieing of rot in the Hives of Sigil, but what does that matter? Half the people in the gate-towns can't read the words floating around your halos, but of what consequence is that? Another family asks not, "What will eat tomorrow?" but "Who will starve tonight?", but that's just how it goes, isn't it? Where's the glory in that? Where's the fame and adoration in charity when you can earn it tenfold for swinging a sword at some dretch and calling it 'justice'?

We hear what you are saying. We already hear the excuses and the lies. 'You can't save everyone', 'Good works in mysterious ways', 'Life is trial', 'Someone will care for them eventually'. Oh yes, We hear the pleasantries from behind your porcelain masks. We taught them to you. We taught you of lies and hate and greed, just as We taught the Baerns and the Qliphoth and the Baatorians. Go along. Pretend We do not exist. Resign Us as lumps of fat and oily grease living in the shadow of titans and should-be gods and all the trash that the multiverse needed to lock away. But We are watching, and We are waiting. A time will come when you all complete Our work. On that day, We That are the Worm, the Spider, and the Wasp will finish what we started on so many fields of black ice.

We are the Gehreleth, the Demodands.

What would O'Chuul do? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0547.html)

I cannot answer for the child dying of rot in the Hives of Sigil. I have never been there, and though I feel for his pain, I can do nothing to aid it. I do not claim to speak for deities or devas, planetars or powers, archons or eladrin. I speak for me. Every act is not perfect... I am but one man, and a man, for all that. I recognize my flaws, and seek to overcome them.

Whereas you... you revel in them. You find your flaws, your weaknesses, and glorify... turn your inability to make the hard choice into a badge of honor, your infidelity to your own ethics into a point of pride. I do not seek to overlook evil or corruption, though I know I do. I have stood aside while good folks died or ignorance compounded itself. But I know it as a failure, and I seek to correct it wherever I may reach. That is not far... the hand of man goes no further than his arm, his words no further than his pen will take them. But it is what I can do. And we do what we must, because we can.

druid91
2010-03-30, 10:31 PM
Far realms definitely, If thats not an option probably devils. If I can't be so chaotic that my very presence causes madness than I don't want to be chaotic at all.

The Tygre
2010-03-30, 11:03 PM
What would O'Chuul do? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0547.html)

I cannot answer for the child dying of rot in the Hives of Sigil. I have never been there, and though I feel for his pain, I can do nothing to aid it. I do not claim to speak for deities or devas, planetars or powers, archons or eladrin. I speak for me. Every act is not perfect... I am but one man, and a man, for all that. I recognize my flaws, and seek to overcome them.

Whereas you... you revel in them. You find your flaws, your weaknesses, and glorify... turn your inability to make the hard choice into a badge of honor, your infidelity to your own ethics into a point of pride. I do not seek to overlook evil or corruption, though I know I do. I have stood aside while good folks died or ignorance compounded itself. But I know it as a failure, and I seek to correct it wherever I may reach. That is not far... the hand of man goes no further than his arm, his words no further than his pen will take them. But it is what I can do. And we do what we must, because we can.

Noble sentiments. Of course, both our plans are shot to Baator once the Slaadi and the Modron get involved. Then it's only a matter of time before the Lady decides to turn us all into so much cat-food on the Sigil streets.

druid91
2010-03-30, 11:12 PM
Noble sentiments. Of course, both our plans are shot to Baator once the Slaadi and the Modron get involved. Then it's only a matter of time before the Lady decides to turn us all into so much cat-food on the Sigil streets.

And I will be the lord of cats, ordinary house-cats and giant monsters alike, tremble before my otherworldly madness!!!:smallbiggrin:

Mastikator
2010-03-30, 11:13 PM
Demon. We demons fight each other, and all other alignments are poised against us. And yet we still can't be defeated, obviously we're more powerful than all other outsiders combined.

druid91
2010-03-30, 11:20 PM
Demon. We demons fight each other, and all other alignments are poised against us. And yet we still can't be defeated, obviously we're more powerful than all other outsiders combined.

But whats the point of having power if you squander it? better you just give that power to somebody who can aim it.

chiasaur11
2010-03-30, 11:23 PM
The Vetinari kind.

Mastikator
2010-03-30, 11:44 PM
But whats the point of having power if you squander it? better you just give that power to somebody who can aim it.

Squander it? I'm using it to kill, burn and rape. I corrupt the world and destroy everything that is beautiful, all things who come in my way are crushed. I'm using it to enjoy myself, the world is my plaything, with sadistic pleasure I set my claws into it and rip it apart just to see whats inside and then eat it. Those who have power and don't property enjoy every last piece of it are the ones who squander it.

Taelas
2010-03-31, 12:05 AM
Why would I get involved in something as futile as the Blood War?

I will stick to the prime material, thank you. As an Evil human, I would seek to avoid the Great Fire Below, not jump into it with vigor.

I will play my games with mortals, and avoid attracting the ire of the minions of Celestia, Elysium, Bytopia, Arborea, Ysgard, or Arcadia. Life -- for lack of a better term -- is much more productive that way.

Eladrinblade
2010-03-31, 12:29 AM
Demons.

They aren't all chaotic evil stupid.

They are closest to what the Joker from the new batman movies would be (if he were an outsider).

If I were any evil, I definitely be some sort of demon.

Eladrinblade
2010-03-31, 12:30 AM
Demons.

They aren't all chaotic evil stupid.

They are closest to what the Joker from the new batman movies would be (if he were an outsider).

If I were any evil, I definitely be some sort of demon.

Malkizid is pretty cool too.

druid91
2010-03-31, 01:19 AM
Squander it? I'm using it to kill, burn and rape. I corrupt the world and destroy everything that is beautiful, all things who come in my way are crushed. I'm using it to enjoy myself, the world is my plaything, with sadistic pleasure I set my claws into it and rip it apart just to see whats inside and then eat it. Those who have power and don't property enjoy every last piece of it are the ones who squander it.

you savage.:smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-03-31, 05:54 AM
I have to say, D&D evil is a bit too obvious and a bit too limited. That's why I'm going for something that's both not D&D (though it was for a little bit) and my interpretation is not supported by it's publisher anymore.

I'm a place where just coming here endangers your immortal soul. Where fires burn a pitiful and sickly green and the air is thick with the smell of decay. Walk through me in one direction and I'll take you to a different place when you make your return trip. And everything here wants you. Some want to kill you and eat you, others want to play with you. But if you die here, you'll just come back as my mindless undead slave.

I am home to fallen gods, twisted demons and corrupt souls. Embrace me and I will give you power. But that power will eventually turn on you. Or turn you into a twisted, hate-filled remnant of what you were.

I am the Shadowlands. From 1st Edition Legend of the Five Rings.

Except for the undead part? That sounds exactly like some of the layers of the grey wastes. These do not make you undead, they just suck out your emotions and memories.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-31, 06:01 AM
hey, shadowlands is D&D too. Check in Oriental Adventures, maybe something changed later or has been changed before, but I guess the spirit of the setting has been kept.

Shadolands are.... wow. Awesome. My players always remember with terror what I (as a DM) prepared for them...

Eldan
2010-03-31, 06:04 AM
But as I said... I have read their flavour, and compared to some of the DnD planes already there, they are not that different.

If I gave my players the choice of going to Niflheim or trying to fight both sides of a blood war battle alone, they'd know what to choose.

"At least, this way we only die", as one of my players put it.

The Tygre
2010-03-31, 08:28 AM
And I will be the lord of cats, ordinary house-cats and giant monsters alike, tremble before my otherworldly madness!!!:smallbiggrin:

Of course, the Lady kills any deities or cosmic powers that so much as try to touch a door to Sigil, much less stand in it. The last power to get away with it was Vecna, and he had to be backed by the overpower of magic itself.

The Big Dice
2010-03-31, 08:55 AM
hey, shadowlands is D&D too. Check in Oriental Adventures, maybe something changed later or has been changed before, but I guess the spirit of the setting has been kept.

Shadolands are.... wow. Awesome. My players always remember with terror what I (as a DM) prepared for them...

The Shadowlands, along with all of L5R, went through a phase of what they called Dual Stat books, with everything being for 3.0 D&D and 2nd Edition L5R. I never really liked the D&D vision of the setting, but the Shadowlands is indeed a cool and wierd place.

A kind of semi aware radioactive wasteland that has aspects of the Abyss and the Nine Hells and worse, all right here on the Prime.

Choco
2010-03-31, 09:20 AM
I would be the psycho looking for a way to use any power I can get my hands on to destroy all of existance. There, blood war and all other problems are effectively solved.

Though even that pales in comparison to the vile evil that is <dramatic drumroll> THREAD NECROMANCY!!!!

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-31, 09:23 AM
A kind of semi aware radioactive wasteland that has aspects of the Abyss and the Nine Hells and worse, all right here on the Prime.

THAT'S the point IMO. Shadowlands are right there, beyond a wall.

You can't say that those horrible worlds are a plane shift away. This is reality, roll with it.

Mechanically, Fiends (Oni!) + giants, tsuno and undeads + Taint are really a mess. Taint, more than everything.

waterpenguin43
2010-03-31, 09:30 AM
I would side with the devils, preferably Levistus or Mammon. I think that their plans to gain power fall in well with mine, and the wanton and unnecessarily destructive nature of the demons disgusts me. I also love war games[/ObviousLawfulEvilSign] (Just kdding!) :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2010-03-31, 10:09 AM
Of course, the Lady kills any deities or cosmic powers that so much as try to touch a door to Sigil, much less stand in it. The last power to get away with it was Vecna, and he had to be backed by the overpower of magic itself.

And, as a cat, any cat deity would run the risk of REX, THE WONDERDOG! spontaneously deciding to thoroughly wreck his, her, or its face.

And that's not a risk you want to take.

druid91
2010-03-31, 01:31 PM

And, as a cat, any cat deity would run the risk of REX, THE WONDERDOG! spontaneously deciding to thoroughly wreck his, her, or its face.

And that's not a risk you want to take.

Pah, you silly mortals and your "magic" us cosmic horrors have the reality defying power of cats.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/Druid91/battlecat.jpg From the catburglar thread.
I think we can take some lady and her dog rex.

peacenlove
2010-03-31, 02:24 PM
Undead Lich
Even as a living being he was an uncaring lord of magic, now he is a seeker of knowledge who will not stop at nothing to gain it.
He doesn't need to corrupt mortals, nor he is shackled to beliefs as many outsiders do.
He is a singular source of power, unkillable except for his one weakness, never complacent, always scheming.
The best part is that he is emotionless. He doesn't revel his atrocities nor does he gain power from them. He just acts.

Lord of Syntax
2010-03-31, 02:32 PM
Go team Yugoloth!

LurkerInPlayground
2010-03-31, 02:35 PM
Angry and disaffected.

The Tygre
2010-03-31, 04:26 PM
Pah, you silly mortals and your "magic" us cosmic horrors have the reality defying power of cats.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/Druid91/battlecat.jpg From the catburglar thread.

You're not familiar with the Lady of Pain, are you?

Eldan
2010-03-31, 04:58 PM
Obviously not.

I think I have a few statues and protective amulets to sell to that coney.

The Tygre
2010-03-31, 05:11 PM
Obviously not.

I think I have a few statues and protective amulets to sell to that coney.

Aye. The berk'll need em' in the box he's getting.

Eldan
2010-03-31, 05:13 PM
Lily dat. And remember, to activate them, you have to say the magical words "I worship the Lady and her master, Aoskar!" three times.

druid91
2010-04-01, 01:44 PM

You're not familiar with the Lady of Pain, are you?

I know ,only vaguely, that she is some sort of god killing entity that inhabits sigil.

Taelas
2010-04-01, 02:28 PM
The Lady of Pain is actually a group of squirrels in a huge headdress. (Totally! What, you don't believe me?)

To be serious, the Queen of Blades is possibly a deity, possibly not. What is known about her is this: Within Sigil, she is nigh omnipotent -- she killed the Power Aoskar with a thought when one of her dabus chose him as a patron deity. Do not cross her and stay inside Sigil.

Eldan
2010-04-01, 02:30 PM
You forgot that the squirrels also have a ring of levitation.

druid91
2010-04-01, 02:31 PM
To be serious, the Queen of Blades is possibly a deity, possibly not. What is known about her is this: Within Sigil, she is nigh omnipotent -- she killed the Power Aoskar with a thought when one of her dabus chose him as a patron deity. Do not cross her and stay inside Sigil.

Which is why, As a cat themed horror from beyond the stars I simply Make it not sigil!! I replace sigils place within the multiverse with Catotopia. what can she do now that she doesn't have omnipotence anymore?

Eldan
2010-04-01, 02:34 PM
Sorry, dude. The Cat Lord already tried, and she failed.

Oh, and she can also retroactively cut you out of existence.

druid91
2010-04-01, 02:37 PM
Oh, and she can also retroactively cut you out of existence.

Not a problem, I started outside of existence in the first place.

chiasaur11
2010-04-01, 02:39 PM

Forget (with all due respect and total lack of worship) the Lady.

Worry about Rex. REX THE WONDERDOG.

He rules the Wild Hunt since he killed the huntsman. He walked on the surface of the sun, and he can beat ANYTHING.

Rex is not measured by ordinary mortal scales. Other things are sometimes measured by % of Rex the Wonderdog.

Read and be enlightened. (http://mightygodking.com/index.php/category/comics/rex-the-mother****ing-wonder-dog/)

Taelas
2010-04-01, 02:45 PM
Which is why, As a cat themed horror from beyond the stars I simply Make it not sigil!! I replace sigils place within the multiverse with Catotopia. what can she do now that she doesn't have omnipotence anymore?

And you're immune to kitty litter. We get it.

druid91
2010-04-01, 02:49 PM
Read and be enlightened. (http://mightygodking.com/index.php/category/comics/rex-the-mother****ing-wonder-dog/)

*Runs in fear back to the far realms*

Anyway I was mainly arguing because I hate things like that, Lord Au, lady of pain, Whatever it is, it bugs me when something that powerful is there.

Eldan
2010-04-01, 02:52 PM
Well, the thing is that no one really knew how powerful the lady was. Apparently, she managed to somehow keep all the major powers out of Sigil, making it one of the two big neutral grounds of the multiverse. She also managed to remove those who ticked her off, by worshipping her or interfering with her servants. But otherwise, she is a mystery. In DnD, she is fascinating, because she is rarely seen, rarely even needs to do anything and because, in a world where everything is statted, she has no stats.
So the intriguing thing about her really isn't the power.

Tome
2010-04-01, 02:54 PM
Demons. After all, if you're going to be evil, why hold back?

Slaughter in infinite variation. Revel in destruction. Who cares if we waste infinity? This way is much more fun.

druid91
2010-04-01, 02:58 PM
Well, the thing is that no one really knew how powerful the lady was. Apparently, she managed to somehow keep all the major powers out of Sigil, making it one of the two big neutral grounds of the multiverse. She also managed to remove those who ticked her off, by worshipping her or interfering with her servants. But otherwise, she is a mystery. In DnD, she is fascinating, because she is rarely seen, rarely even needs to do anything and because, in a world where everything is statted, she has no stats.
So the intriguing thing about her really isn't the power.

As far as I know lord Au from faerun was the same way, In fact the only stat that he ever had in my old group was the homebrewed ability "I win".

The Tygre
2010-04-01, 04:17 PM
It's 'Ao', not 'Au'. And he's just the tip of the iceberg. There's always a bigger fish.

druid91
2010-04-01, 04:21 PM
It's 'Ao', not 'Au'. And he's just the tip of the iceberg. There's always a bigger fish.

Sorry, I haven't had to spell his name for a few years.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-04-01, 05:01 PM
I'd have to say Devil, Rakshasa or Lich. Not sure which but I'm leaning toward Rakshasa.

On the Lady of Pain, she's like Sephiroth in that you can only tell that Her power is greater than yours, you cannot know by how much. If she loses then it is because she chooses to.

Edit: Thanks Eldan.

Eldan
2010-04-01, 05:14 PM
The usual title is "Her Serenity", and is capitalized. Similarly with just "Her".

Eldariel
2010-04-01, 05:33 PM
the Queen of Blades

I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Kerrigan) only (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/009/e/3/Sarah_Kerrigan_by_fluxen.jpg) know (http://www.sc2blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/kerrigan.jpg) one (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2007/313/0/a/Sarah_Kerrigan_Queen_of_Blades_by_CarmenMCS.jpg) Queen (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/1740184580_699febe092.jpg) of (http://starcraft2.com/images/wallpapers/wall5/wall5-1024x768.jpg) Blades (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/262/c/f/Sarah_Kerrigan_Statue_6_by_HammerOfThor84.jpg).

chiasaur11
2010-04-01, 05:34 PM
I'd have to say Devil, Rakshasa or Lich. Not sure which but I'm leaning toward Rakshasa.

On the Lady of Pain, she's like Sephiroth in that you can only tell that Her power is greater than yours, you cannot know by how much. If she loses then it is because she chooses to.

Edit: Thanks Eldan.

Sephiroth?

Really.

He's in a furshlugginer console JRPG.

His stats aren't listed in guides because they vary with party level, but they are definitely quantifiable. And, assuming a cosmic scale, not all that impressive.

Or are we using Sephiroth to mean "Fanboy perceptions of Sephiroth" or perhaps, more reasonably "Vartox"?

Bibliomancer
2010-04-01, 06:51 PM
Well, the thing is that no one really knew how powerful the lady was. Apparently, she managed to somehow keep all the major powers out of Sigil, making it one of the two big neutral grounds of the multiverse.

Two? Are you referring to the epic-level demiplane of Union as the other?

In any case, I myself might lean towards quori, since they want to 'protect' humanity to the extent that nothing changes. Even more importantly, they are the Dream Police, and they live inside of your head.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-04-01, 08:58 PM
Sephiroth?

Really.

He's in a furshlugginer console JRPG.

His stats aren't listed in guides because they vary with party level, but they are definitely quantifiable. And, assuming a cosmic scale, not all that impressive.

Or are we using Sephiroth to mean "Fanboy perceptions of Sephiroth" or perhaps, more reasonably "Vartox"?

I mean that, if I remember correctly, Sephiroth is the most powerful person in the known world of FFVII. The only reason he was beaten at all was because he felt that the heroes deserved it (or something, I may be misremembering an article I've read here. Please feel free to share more accurate information). If he didn't hold back then he could have succeeded in his plan to become a god. He has managed to return from his defeat, and he may have been weakened then due to being formed of only one aspect. He was still kicking the crap out of Cloud until the Omnislash Version 5, and then he still had energy enough to give one last line before getting transformed back.

I don't know what "furshlugginer" means, and I don't see why the country a game is from should give it a reaction different enough to justify mentioning the country (I know that there are some general trends which have set JRPGs apart, but I feel that RPG alone would have done just as well).

I don't know what you mean by "Vartox", either. Care to elucidate?

Taelas
2010-04-01, 11:51 PM
I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Kerrigan) only (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/009/e/3/Sarah_Kerrigan_by_fluxen.jpg) know (http://www.sc2blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/kerrigan.jpg) one (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2007/313/0/a/Sarah_Kerrigan_Queen_of_Blades_by_CarmenMCS.jpg) Queen (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/1740184580_699febe092.jpg) of (http://starcraft2.com/images/wallpapers/wall5/wall5-1024x768.jpg) Blades (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/262/c/f/Sarah_Kerrigan_Statue_6_by_HammerOfThor84.jpg).

You're right. Her Serenity's title is the Bladed Queen, not Queen of Blades.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-04-02, 12:00 AM
Another vote for the Far Realm here.

"I have seen the Dark Universe yawning,
where the black planets roll without aim,
where they roll in their horror unheeded,
without knowledge, or lustre, or name."

Eldan
2010-04-02, 04:31 AM
Two? Are you referring to the epic-level demiplane of Union as the other?

In any case, I myself might lean towards quori, since they want to 'protect' humanity to the extent that nothing changes. Even more importantly, they are the Dream Police, and they live inside of your head.

The innermost ring of the outlands, right at the spire. Here, everyone loses all their powers, even the gods, so that they can actually meet without fearing ten-thousand magical ambushes.

And I still think that the Far Realm itself isn't really evil. It just reacts to the multiverse like an oyster to a grain of sand, or an immune system to an infection: remove that annoying little source of causality and time and sense.

Maryring
2010-04-02, 06:02 AM
OOooh. What kind of evil am I? Hard to say, hard to say, since most people constantly qualify me as Lawful (stupid) Good. So if I had to be a kind of evil...

I'd probably be the kind that destroys the world to save the world. The Opposition. The force that creates heroes and cultivates bravery.

Of course, that isn't terribly evil. It could be fun to just be a pure destructive force of nuclear explosions. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5uIvR7tIXc) It'd actually be very soothing to not have to worry at all.

Then again, there's also the brand of evil that at first sight appears unhinged. Random. A chaotic mess of utter destruction, but when you stop to think about it, you don't actually have any idea what the real motivations are. Sort of like a Sleeping Terror. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ztSL3JxITA)

If I really had to pick one of those three, it'd probably be Demons. I loathe politics.

The Demented One
2010-04-02, 06:05 AM
Is there one where you think "Oh! That's neat!," and don't realize just how horribly wrong the thing is until, you know, it happens? I think that'd be me.

Volkov
2010-04-02, 07:04 AM
Yugoloths, we are destined to win and predate the damned Obyriths. Do everything for your personal gain, and only obey the supreme master of your kind when he's around.