PDA

View Full Version : In need of some advise...

Caligula
2009-09-01, 09:05 PM
Ok, I have played two sessions in a game that I'm not enjoying. I built a rogue centered on bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive. My character is the only PC with ranks in interaction skills, but whenever a situation to talk our way out of things comes up, the other characters tell my character to shut up, that he'll only make things worse. For example, when approached by someone who had been identified as a member of a criminal family, my character wanted to know where we were going and if we'd come back alive. He was told by the other characters to quit asking stupid questions. Now, if this was just a collection of random folks to game with, I wouldn't have any qualms about just not coming back, but these guys are all friends. How should I approach this? Am I just being petty because I'm not getting what I want? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Faleldir
2009-09-01, 09:09 PM
Tell them that it's mathematically impossible for optimized Diplomacy to make things worse.

What does your DM think of this? It's his job to make sure everyone has fun, after all.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-01, 09:12 PM
Their style conflicts with yours. They must be destroyed.

Kallisti
2009-09-01, 09:14 PM
Just keep trying, and if they tell you to shut up, ignore them. If you really are making things worse, then stop. If not, point out how you're actually helping, not making things worse, with as much snide "I told you so" as you deem appropriate.

Skorj
2009-09-01, 10:07 PM
As the diplomacy-monger, it's your job to ignore the charisma-dumped losers! That being said, if your DM doesn't provide any diplomacy encounters ever, it won't be much fun. Make sure he knows that, and why you're thinking about leaving. See what he says.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-01, 10:17 PM
Ok, I have played two sessions in a game that I'm not enjoying. I built a rogue centered on bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive. My character is the only PC with ranks in interaction skills, but whenever a situation to talk our way out of things comes up, the other characters tell my character to shut up, that he'll only make things worse. For example, when approached by someone who had been identified as a member of a criminal family, my character wanted to know where we were going and if we'd come back alive. He was told by the other characters to quit asking stupid questions. Now, if this was just a collection of random folks to game with, I wouldn't have any qualms about just not coming back, but these guys are all friends. How should I approach this? Am I just being petty because I'm not getting what I want? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

show them that it actually DOESN'T make things worse and it makes things BETTER!

that or do as pharoah's fist and destroy them. in game. believe me when I say your lawyer won't let you do it the other way.:smallamused:

valadil
2009-09-01, 10:30 PM
Why listen to them? They can tell you to shut up but that doesn't mean you have to.

Can you talk to your GM about it? If I had players act this way I'd feed the rogue a social encounter so he could prove his worth. Maybe you could work something out like that?

Umael
2009-09-02, 10:02 AM
I'm wondering if there is more to why they are telling you to shut up.

Do they think you cannot ask appropriate questions, or that if you do, you ask them in a way that will be considered insulting? Or they think YOU personally have a low Charisma?

Or do they think that your questions are steeling the spotlight or otherwise allowing you to dominate an aspect of the game which they would rather you not?

Have you ever been successful in your questioning? Have you even been alone with an NPC to try? Has anything bad happened to you because of your questioning?

Are your friends willing to talk to you and explain why in great detail?

Delwugor
2009-09-02, 10:21 AM
the other characters tell my character to shut up, that he'll only make things worse.

The players or the characters?

If it is the players then yes there is a problem to resolve with your group. Others have offered some advice here which I won't add to.

If it is the characters then this sounds like a good group social conflict which is great to role-play. And since your character is has alot of skill in social situations this gives him a large advantage. Your character needs to spend some time convincing the other characters that you should be their spokesman (and possibly the unacknowledged leader? ... :smallwink:). Go forth, convince them, have fun and then have them do your every whim ... :smallbiggrin:

The Neoclassic
2009-09-02, 10:32 AM
Their style conflicts with yours. They must be destroyed.

Oh snap. Hmm, what does that remind me of...?

I'm wondering if there is more to why they are telling you to shut up.

Yup, you should investigate this possibility first.

Do they think you cannot ask appropriate questions, or that if you do, you ask them in a way that will be considered insulting? Or they think YOU personally have a low Charisma?

Or do they think that your questions are steeling the spotlight or otherwise allowing you to dominate an aspect of the game which they would rather you not?

Have you ever been successful in your questioning? Have you even been alone with an NPC to try? Has anything bad happened to you because of your questioning?

Are your friends willing to talk to you and explain why in great detail?

These are good questions with which to start. First, think through these yourself. Can you think of a time when you did mess things up for them (in game or in real life) with your low Diplomacy rolls? :smallwink: Honestly, do you have any tendency for stealing the spotlight? If none of this gives you any useful answers, either talk with your friends or the DM, depending on whom you're more comfortable with. I'd recommend saying something like this out-of-character, before the next playing session (though not RIGHT before- you don't want to have it go into and interfere with time set aside for playing).

Hey, guys, I notice that you've been discouraging my character from talking. I made a diplomacy-oriented character, and I've put a lot of ranks in skills that would help us out in these situations. Hence, I'm rather confused as to why, whenever diplomatic situations come up, you don't want my character to do what he does best. Could you tell me what you're concerned about? Is this because of something that's happened out-of-character, or have you decided that in-character your characters are mistrustful and like to be in control? I want to figure out what's going on so we can all enjoy diplomatic encounters more.

Listen. Compromise if you need to, though don't entirely back down. If they absolutely refuse to let you be the diplomat, either ask to roll up a different character or (if necessary) find a group which is more flexible and lets everyone have their turn in the spotlight. Hopefully, though, it's more of a minor misunderstanding and petty selfishness issue which will be quickly resolved, and nothing more. :smallsmile:

Caligula
2009-09-02, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I really appreciate it.

To Umael:

I have been thinking along those lines, and I can't recall any instance where I actually got us into trouble. One time, we did have a minor problem because of a social convention so obscure that there was no way I or my character could know about it, but that was resolved fairly easily and with no detriment to the group. During the first game, I was able to convince a merchant to up our reward, so I have actually had some tangible benefit to the group. I don't think I try to steal the spotlight, but perhaps they are perceiving it that way. I do try to be subtle, so i'm not sure how to tone it down even more...

To Delwugor:

I hadn't really thought about it like that... perhaps you're right and this is just a golden opportunity in disguise.

To everyone:
Thanks. I feel a lot better about this now. Funny how a game can cause this kind of tension, isn't it?