PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions regarding Quarterstaff

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-01, 10:11 PM
Hello coupel of quick questions...

Is there a way to make a Quarterstaff be considered Light?
I want to make a character that takes advantage of the kalashtar defensive feats along with the Quarterstaff feat from cwar and deadly defense..

Also though this may sound stupid can you power attack and use combat expertise in the same round? Assuming you take penalties for both?

ericgrau
2009-09-01, 10:13 PM
The second attack with the other end of a quarterstaff is treated as a light weapon. Though I'd have to see the wording of the feat to know if that's what you need (and you can't post copyrighted material).

Another way would be to get a quarterstaff made for a tiny creature to make it into a light weapon with a -4 penalty to attack. But that's kind of silly. Hmm, maybe a quarterstaff for a small creature combined with some kind of oversized weapon feat or special ability? That'd only be a -2.

PA + CE: Yes, but it's probably a bad idea. I doubt you'll hit very often.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-01, 10:24 PM
Feycraft, from DMG 2, allows you to finesse with the weapon. Doesn't help TWFing penalties, but Oversized TWFing does.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-02, 07:04 AM
PA + CE: Yes, but it's probably a bad idea. I doubt you'll hit very often.

well the reason iw anted to know is because if i use CE for full on the first round of combat with the kalashtar racial tactical feat i get the full CE dodge bonus added to me to hit and with the weapon fet for staves i can double it.

So if i - 5 from my hit on the first round ill add +10 to hit on the secound round... and i can PA for eaither 10 to add 20 to dmg or PA for 5 and add ten to dmg and also CE for 5. to keep the extra dmg with out actualy effecting my to hit.

Ferrin
2009-09-02, 07:52 AM
Feycraft, from DMG 2, allows you to finesse with the weapon. Doesn't help TWFing penalties, but Oversized TWFing does.

You don't need Oversized TWF for Double Weapons, the off-hand portion counts as a light-weapon for TWF penalties. (Player's Handbook, pg160)

Not sure how to make it count for weapon finesse though.

Eloel
2009-09-02, 08:01 AM
Try Aptitude Daggers/Short Swords. They count as any weapon you wish for feats, and they're light.
Aptitude (weapon enhancement) is from Tome of Battle

Epinephrine
2009-09-02, 08:12 AM
If you want to be able to double wield a quarterstaff and have finesse, talk to your DM. I was perfectly willing to allow quarterstaff use as a finesse weapon.

There is little difference between TWF with a pair of light maces and TWF with a quarterstaff. Both deal 1d6/1d6 (or 1d4/1d4 for small), both are simple weapons, both have x2 crits and deal bludgeoning damage.

Mechanically they are similar too, in that you have to pay to enchant each end of a quarterstaff, while you enchant each of a pair of maces.

The only place where the difference really stands out is in the use of combat maneuvers: If you sunder a quarterstaff you break the whole thing, while it takes 2 sunders to deal with maces. Likewise, you can disarm a single mace, but you disarm both ends of a quarterstaff at once. These slight advantages are balanced by the fact that the quarterstaff wielder can do things like free a hand as a free action.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-02, 08:14 AM
actualy Mabye i mis spoke i want a staff light so deadly defense can apply to it not for finese... Also im trying to use a staff 2 handed for better PA

Eloel
2009-09-02, 08:22 AM
There's not a SINGLE weapon that's both light and gets better PA ratio.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-02, 08:23 AM
There's not a SINGLE weapon that's both light and gets better PA ratio.

yes but does it interact the same with quick staff and or the kalashtar feats... is the key...

and aptitude won't work gm doesn't like it.

Epinephrine
2009-09-02, 08:23 AM
actualy Mabye i mis spoke i want a staff light so deadly defense can apply to it not for finese... Also im trying to use a staff 2 handed for better PA

That sounds like having your cake and eating it too; you want a two-handed weapon that counts as a light weapon? I don't think you'll find anything that behaves that way. The closest that comes to mind is a Sun Blade:

This sword is the size of a bastard sword. However, a sun blade is wielded as if it were a short sword with respect to weight and ease of use. (In other words, the weapon appears to all viewers to be a bastard sword, and deals bastard sword damage, but the wielder feels and reacts as if the weapon were a short sword.) Any individual able to use either a bastard sword or a short sword with proficiency is proficient in the use of a sun blade. Likewise, Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization in short sword and bastard sword apply equally, but the benefits of those feats do not stack.

It doesn't really specify, but since it is the size and damage of a bastard sword (and can be wielded with bastard sword proficiency and bastard sword weapon focus), but has a short sword's ease of use, one could perhaps be justified in gripping a sun blade in a 2H manner yet still call it a light weapon.

Eloel
2009-09-02, 08:24 AM
and aptitude won't work gm doesn't like it.
Then we'll need a summary of what your dm likes and what he doesn't like, if we're to help out.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-09-02, 08:32 AM
no TOB or dragon unless its in the Dragon compendium.

Heres the feat selection so far...
Obviously the race is kalashtar.
Fighter 6/ psiwarrior 2
1.Dodge
1b.Power attack
2b.Combat expertise
3. Path of shadows
4b. Two weapon fighting
6.Dancing with shadows
6b.weapon focus staff
7b.Quick staff
8b.Deadly defense

So combat goes like this
1st round. Full CE for -5 to hit +7 to Dodge +1d6 dmg
2nd round of combat. -5 to hit + 14 to dmg + 7 dodge +1d6 dmg
3rd round of combat -0 to hit +14 to dmg + 7 to dodge

That's going balls to the wall so to say though
More then likly it will be
1st round -2 to hit +4 dodge +1d6 dmg
2nd round -2 to hit +4 doge + 8 dmg +1d6 dmg
3rd round -0 to hit +4 dodge +8 dmg

That's assuming i can make a quarterstaff light.

Obviously not uber optimized but it will be fun.

Edit: Fixed dmg