PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Concept: Professional Kidnapper

Zovc
2009-09-02, 01:38 AM
I think I was just toying around with gestalt options when I came up with this character concept, but I think this character could make either a fun PC for a one-on-one campaign (Player "vs" DM), or a really cool villan.

"Don't panic. You can't speak or move, I've already made sure of that. It is my job to take you somewhere safe until I can deliver you to my client."

That's really the whole idea. 'Guy infiltrates a secure area, makes sure avoid wounding people by attempting to sleep or deal subdual damage to anyone he can't bypass. Once reaching his subject, he incapacitates them if they are not already sleeping, then paralyzes them and kidnaps undetected. He brings them back to his cabin, makes sure they don't remember the way, then detains them until the client wants their mark. Interesting roleplaying opportunities if the client does not want their goods immediately.

While I'm not sure if it is possible with this combination alone, that is what I wanted to do with an Elan Psion/Beguiler gestalt.

Eldariel
2009-09-02, 01:59 AM
While probably not helpful to your goal, I'll have to say the thread title made me think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mUTqNqjy48#t=4m49s).

Anyways, magic helps. I might go straight Beguiler and then focus on stuff that disables your target or brings him along. Focus on making 'em fail their Will-save, reap your Surprise Casting benefits and go to town. Though Psion could definitely pull this off too. But frankly, straight Beguiler seems plain better due to the skill points which could be relevant here.

Zovc
2009-09-02, 02:06 AM
Anyways, magic helps. I might go straight Beguiler and then focus on stuff that disables your target or brings him along. Focus on making 'em fail their Will-save, reap your Surprise Casting benefits and go to town. Though Psion could definitely pull this off too. But frankly, straight Beguiler seems plain better due to the skill points which could be relevant here.

Well, yeah, if I had to choose one or the other for the job, Beguiler would be the winner. This was originally a gestalt build, and the Psion seemed like it could add extra coolness as well as a lot of utility as far as its powers went--it'd also go along with the whole disabling theme without having to use a poison or anything of that nature.

Eldariel
2009-09-02, 02:15 AM
Well, yeah, if I had to choose one or the other for the job, Beguiler would be the winner. This was originally a gestalt build, and the Psion seemed like it could add extra coolness as well as a lot of utility as far as its powers went--it'd also go along with the whole disabling theme without having to use a poison or anything of that nature.

It kinda kills your skill progression though so I suggest against it. The only combination class for the two is Cerebremancer and it's definitely not a skill monkey, hence why I believe that pure Beguiler would suit your purposes much better. You can definitely find spells for disabling people in Beguiler's list; that's their whole shtick.

Totally Guy
2009-09-02, 02:16 AM
There's an interesting kidnapping strategy phenomenon that I'll make you aware of.

A kidnapper is a criminal so it is hard to trust him. But the kidnapper will get his ransom only if he is trusted to release his victim once he's been paid.

How can the kidnapper increase his trust?

If he has a record of successfully paid ransoms and releases then he's more trustworthy.

And by saying he'll do it again. A kidnapper that openly admits to wanting to re-offend is more trustworthy as he's considering his future. He needs that A++++ excellent kidnapper (would do business again) rating with no negative feedback.

If the kidnapper claimed he'd go straight after this kidnap then he has no incentive to release after he's got the ransom. He might as well take the money and keep the victim and ransom again.

Zovc
2009-09-02, 02:22 AM
There's an interesting kidnapping strategy phenomenon that I'll make you aware of.

A kidnapper is a criminal so it is hard to trust him. But the kidnapper will get his ransom only if he is trusted to release his victim once he's been paid.

How can the kidnapper increase his trust?

If he has a record of successfully paid ransoms and releases then he's more trustworthy.

And by saying he'll do it again. A kidnapper that openly admits to wanting to re-offend is more trustworthy as he's considering his future. He needs that A++++ excellent kidnapper (would do business again) rating with no negative feedback.

If the kidnapper claimed he'd go straight after this kidnap then he has no incentive to release after he's got the ransom. He might as well take the money and keep the victim and ransom again.

This guy isn't exactly kidnapping for ransom. Sure, by definition that's what is happening, but you usually ask for a ransom from the family you've stolen a member from. This person is being paid to kidnap someone undetected and later deliver the subject (alive) to the client.

Although, to be honest, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Xenogears
2009-09-02, 02:30 AM
It kinda kills your skill progression though so I suggest against it. The only combination class for the two is Cerebremancer and it's definitely not a skill monkey, hence why I believe that pure Beguiler would suit your purposes much better. You can definitely find spells for disabling people in Beguiler's list; that's their whole shtick.

You seem to have missed the word "Gestalt." It doesn't kill his skill progression because he gets all the good stuff from the beguiler AND all the good stuff from a Psion. No drawbacks.

Now lets see for a kidnapper supreme? Maybe a level of elocuter for the ability to never have to touch the ground, you always float about a foot off the ground, (no more follow the footprints, scent not left on ground, harder to track, etc.) if thepre-req's aren't too bad (I forget what they are and can't check right now...). There's a rather expensive (but cool) fiendish graft that gives you the ability to see in magical darkness so If you get that you could go around in a permanent darkness spell or something. You should also replace the word cabin in your description with extra-dimensional space/personal demiplane.

Eldariel
2009-09-02, 02:47 AM
You seem to have missed the word "Gestalt." It doesn't kill his skill progression because he gets all the good stuff from the beguiler AND all the good stuff from a Psion. No drawbacks.

Bolded for emphasis. If he's still going for Gestalt as the OP suggests, yeah, Psion is nice (as is just plain Psion/Rogue), but it seems to me like he's also looking for a non-Gestalt variety for villainous purposes.

Zovc
2009-09-02, 03:17 AM
Now lets see for a kidnapper supreme? Maybe a level of elocuter for the ability to never have to touch the ground, you always float about a foot off the ground, (no more follow the footprints, scent not left on ground, harder to track, etc.) if thepre-req's aren't too bad (I forget what they are and can't check right now...). There's a rather expensive (but cool) fiendish graft that gives you the ability to see in magical darkness so If you get that you could go around in a permanent darkness spell or something. You should also replace the word cabin in your description with extra-dimensional space/personal demiplane.

I don't know where to find that class (the Elocuter). The graft is a posibility, but what if this guy is a villain, how ever would players catch him if he leaves no trace and stores people in a personal demiplane?

Also, how does one go about acquiring a personal demiplane?

Come to think of it, this guy could ascend to be an awesome deity for rogues, kidnappers, and possibly even assassins.

Totally Guy
2009-09-02, 03:19 AM
Although, to be honest, I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

I'm saying that it's beneficial for the traditional kidnapper's negotiation to boast that he's going to commit more more kidnappings in the future.

Even if you work for somebody it might be something your character would know from his humble beginnings.

PanNarrans
2009-09-02, 03:28 AM
There is the Bloodhound prestige class from Complete Adventurer that looks designed for this. Essentially a bounty hunter, with the ability to mark a target to track and get bonuses against them, subdual damage abilities etc.
So, the concept is also possible without a caster.

Zovc
2009-09-02, 03:30 AM
So, the concept is also possible without a caster.

But the concept is so much cooler as a caster. :3

olentu
2009-09-02, 03:50 AM
Hmm as an alternative off the top of my head a wizard or sorcerer might be ok if one throws on nonlethal substitution. Then one can jump out and blast the victim unconscious. Perhaps even a rogue/wizard/unseen seer for extra sneakiness.

PanNarrans
2009-09-02, 03:53 AM
But the concept is so much cooler as a caster. :3

:smallbiggrin:Agreed! Just covering all the options.

Farlion
2009-09-02, 03:59 AM
Ever thought of playing Shadowrun? :smallbiggrin:

Your "Extraction" professional would make a very nice "one on one" player vs. DM type of game.

Cheers,
Farlion