PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Master Spellthief and Ultimate Magus question

ErrantX
2009-09-02, 03:12 AM
I was poking around my books and I got a random thought: How would Master Spellthief interact with the Ultimate Magus class? Master Spellthief combines your spellthief levels with your arcane caster levels to determine the caster level for all arcane spells. So (using the practiced spellcaster cheat) a spellthief 1/sorcerer1/wizard3/ultimate magus 10/archmage 5, who without class features and such has a wizard CL of 17 and a sorcerer CL of 9, +4 to both classes from Ultimate Magus and +4 to sorcerer due to Practiced Spellcaster, would your caster level be 39 for both sorcerer and wizard? (+1 spellthief, +21 for wizard, +17 for sorcerer)

Thoughts?
-X

Melamoto
2009-09-02, 03:29 AM
This is one of those things that is techincally RAW, which the designers didn't think about; but you'd be hard pressed to find a DM who would ever let that slide.

Cyclocone
2009-09-02, 04:05 AM
It gets even worse if you use something like Nar Demonbinder or Sublime Chord instead of Sorcerer.

How about Spellthief 1/Wizard 6/Nar Demonbinder 1/Ultimate Magus 10/Archmage 1?
I won't even try to calulate its supposed CL.

Grumman
2009-09-02, 04:36 AM
Doesn't it specify levels, not caster level? Otherwise the example Spellthief 4 / Wizard 4 would have a CL of 6, not 8. So at the least, the +4 bonus from Ultimate Magus should only apply once, and the +4 bonus from Practiced Spellcaster should only apply to your Sorcerer casting.

ErrantX
2009-09-02, 05:42 AM
It's a really curious wording which is why I posed the question to the board.

Your spellthief and arcane spellcaster levels also stack when determining your caster level for all arcane spells.

Emphasis mine. Arcane spellcaster levels. It has caster levels in the wording, but at the same time, could be taken to mean only class levels, not caster levels. Very curious wording. Any other takers?

-X

olentu
2009-09-02, 05:53 AM
It's a really curious wording which is why I posed the question to the board.

Emphasis mine. Arcane spellcaster levels. It has caster levels in the wording, but at the same time, could be taken to mean only class levels, not caster levels. Very curious wording. Any other takers?

-X

Well since in the same sentence it also uses the term caster level I would be inclined to say that it is talking about levels in classes that grant arcane spellcasting.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-02, 10:25 AM
We went over this. Enjoy the fruits of our labor. :smallbiggrin:

ErrantX
2009-09-02, 12:04 PM
Thanks Fax! Much appreciated, I'm sure I wasn't the first to randomly come up with this.

Edit: Though my above build never seemed to have gotten mentioned, but having read that other thread, do you think my additions added up? I'm assuming you'd take Master Spellthief when it was most advantageous for a HUGE boost in power, probably around the 4th level of Ultimate Magus.

-X