PDA

View Full Version : Updating the Chameleon - two new feats

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-02, 10:28 AM
So. The Chameleon prestige class (found in Races of Destiny) is meant to be able to emulate any class. However, given some new mechanics released after Races of Destiny, the Chameleon falls rather short. And so, I present two new feats, especially for Chameleons, which let them adapt themselves even more fluidly:

Invoker Focus
Furthering your studies, you have tapped into your potential to use invocations.
Prerequisites: Aptitude Focus, Spellcraft 6 ranks
Benefit: When changing your focus, you can choose to adopt the invoker focus. You gain the ability to use invocations from any invocation using class. Your invocation progression is given on the table below. Each time you adopt the invoker focus, you can choose to know a different set of invocations. Your caster level is equal to twice your Chameleon level.

In addition, you gain a +2 competence bonus on Spellcraft and Use Magic Device skill checks, and a +2 bonus on Will saving throws. At 5th level, these bonuses increase to +4.

Martial Focus
Furthering your training to adapt your abilities to any given situation, you have unlocked the secrets of the Sublime Way.
Prerequisites: Aptitude Focus, Martial Lore 6 ranks
Benefit: When changing your focus, you can choose to adopt the martial focus. You gain the ability to initiate maneuvers from any of the nine disciplines. Each time you adopt the martial focus, you can choose one maneuver as a 'known' maneuver for every Chameleon level, and one stance for every three Chameleon levels, but your maneuvers may only come from a maximum of three different disciplines. You can ready a number of maneuvers equal to half your Chameleon level. Chameleon levels count as levels in an initiator class when calculating your initiator level.

You ready and recover maneuvers just as a swordsage does. You can meditate for ten minutes and expend a use of your aptitude focus in order to change your maneuvers known.

In addition, while in the martial focus, you gain a +2 competence bonus on melee weapon attack and damage rolls, a +2 bonus on Martial Lore checks, and a +2 bonus on one of the discipline skills. You also gain a +2 bonus on Fortitude and Reflex saves. At 5th level, these bonuses improve to +4.

{table]Chameleon Level|Invocations Known|Highest Invocation Level|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known
1st|2|Least|1|1|1
2nd|2|Least|2|1|1
3rd|2|Least|3|1|1
4th|3|Least|4|2|1
5th|3|Lesser|5|2|1
6th|3|Lesser|6|3|2
7th|4|Lesser|7|3|2
8th|4|Lesser|8|4|2
9th|4|Greater|9|4|3
10th|5|Greater|10|5|3[/table]

(Entirely unsure how balanced these are...)

Ponce
2009-09-02, 12:05 PM
I like them. Nice work.

Do you think it would be balanced to just hand them to the Chameleon for free?

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-02, 12:07 PM
I think keeping them as feats would be the best idea.

But do note that the Chameleon isn't exactly starved for feats, what with that floating bonus feat of hers.

vampire2948
2009-09-02, 12:16 PM
Ooooh, shiny.. I really need to play one of these.

Maybe revise the Chameleon to allow it to pick a set amount of focuses, and include the OP's feats in the pool?

Ponce
2009-09-02, 12:16 PM
I suppose you're right, but I think you could get away with substituting the default Chameleon combat focus with your martial one. Though yours doesn't offer martial proficiency, the competence bonus from the two Focuses (Combat and Martial) won't stack, so I don't think anyone would conceivably take both when doing a Double Aptitude.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-02, 12:18 PM
They might take both if they want to play a very specific character - maybe imitating a warblade who's known for using a warhammer. Also note that Combat Focus is good for playing an archer - Martial Focus only gives a bonus with melee weapons.

Letting the chameleon select five focuses out of seven (or more, if anyone can think of others) might be a nice idea.

vampire2948
2009-09-02, 12:26 PM
So... we've got Arcane, Combat, Divine, Stealth, Wild and now Martial and Invoker focuses.

Seems to me that we're missing:

Psychic Focus
Marshal / Leader Focus
Incarnum user Focus

Possibly more.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-02, 12:35 PM
I don't like the idea of Psychic Focus. I find it hard to imagine faking being psychic.

Marshal Focus (which should probably be Aura Focus and allow you to take auras from any aura-using class... I know there are others, but I can't think of them right now) and Incarnum Focus are good ideas, though. I'll see what I can come up with, unless anyone else wants to take a crack at it.

vampire2948
2009-09-02, 12:37 PM
I don't like the idea of Psychic Focus. I find it hard to imagine faking being psychic.

They can fake being magical, and even divine power. Why not psychic power? Since that comes from the self. Meh, I kinda understand why you think that.

I might have a crack at it later, but go ahead yourself :smallsmile:

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-02, 12:41 PM
Arcane magic can be learned - and anyone can focus divine power if they have enough conviction.

You'll notice Chameleons can't spontaneously cast spells. They have to prepare them - and they even need spellbooks for arcane spells!

vampire2948
2009-09-02, 12:43 PM
Arcane magic can be learned - and anyone can focus divine power if they have enough conviction.

Well, I don't think it'd be all that impossible for such a class to learn. They are the jack of all trades type thing, after all. But this is your homebrew thread, do as you wish.
Perhaps i'll try to write the psychic focus.

Xefas
2009-09-02, 12:49 PM
I could see "faking" being psychic by meditating until your mind taps into the Astral Plane and absorbs some of its mojo.

Binding and Truenaming are all already doable by feats/skills, but I wouldn't mind an aptitude for them (possibly using Kellus' Truenaming homebrew instead of the normal stuff).

Maybe the Chameleon knows nothing about Vestiges themselves, but knows that if he draws the right circle and speaks the right words, a big monster shows up and asks for a piggyback ride in exchange for some power. Maybe the Chameleon can't make a check to suppress the Vestige's sign to represent this.

Truenaming could be the Chameleon having picked up a few bits and pieces of the language, and can string the random syllables together to make a few choice phrases.

As for the Invoking and Martial focuses, I think the Martial one is a little over the top. I would suggest that they're only able to choose 3 martial disciplines to draw from every time they use the focus, and they don't have a recover mechanic (or at least use the Swordsage's).

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-02, 12:52 PM
Sorry. I don't mind if you do it - and hey, I'll probably steal it anyway. ;)

Also:

Incarnum Focus
Your training has allowed you to tap into the nigh-limitless power of the Positive Energy Plane - Incarnum.
Prerequisites: Aptitude Focus, Knowledge (the Planes) 6 ranks.
Benefit: When changing your focus, you can choose to adopt the incarnum focus. You gain the ability to shape soulmelds, taken from any meldshaper's soulmeld list, and at later levels bind them to your chakras. The progression is given in the table below. You can have a total number of soulmelds shaped equal to your Constitution score -10, or the number provided, whichever is lower. You shape soulmelds just as an incarnate does, and your meldshaper level is equal to twice your Chameleon level.

In addition, you gain a +2 competence bonus to Knowledge (the Planes) and Spellcraft checks, and a +2 bonus to Fortitude and Will saving throws. At 5th level, these bonuses improve to +4.

{table]Chameleon Level|Available Chakras|Soulmelds|Essentia|Chakra Binds
1st| |1|1|0
2nd|Crown|1|2|1
3rd| |2|3|1
4th|Feet, Hands|2|4|1
5th| |3|5|2
6th| |3|6|2
7th|Arms, Brow, Shoulders|4|7|2
8th| |4|8|3
9th| |5|9|3
10th|Throat, Waist|5|10|3[/table]

As for Martial Focus being over the top... I'll grant that having access to all nine disciplines each time is a bit much. And maybe the swordsage's recovery mechanic is the best bet. Alright, I'll change it.

Truenaming... pleh. I don't think I could pull that off, honestly. Binding is a good idea - I might try that next.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-03, 05:28 AM
Actually, I'm gonna do Psychic Focus, due to boredom.

Psychic Focus
By opening your mind to the Astral Plane, you have learned to tap into your inner psionic power, at least temporarily.
Prerequisites: Aptitude Focus, Psicraft 6 ranks, Use Psionic Device 2 ranks
Benefit: When changing your focus, you can choose to adopt the psychic focus. You gain the ability to manifest psionic powers, which are drawn from any psionic class' power list. Each time you adopt the Psychic Focus, you choose which powers are available to you, as shown on the table below. You receive bonus power points for having a high Charisma score, just as a Wilder would, and the save DCs for your powers are based on Charisma. Your manifester level is equal to twice your Chameleon level. When under the effects of your Psychic Focus, you may use your bonus feat to gain psionic feats, even if you don't normally qualify for them.

Your power points are fixed per day, even if you change focus and then switch back to Psychic Focus. Like any psionic class, your power points from Psychic Focus stack with those from other manifesting classes.

In addition, you gain a +2 competence bonus on Knowledge (Psionics), Psicraft and Use Psionic Device checks, and a +2 bonus on Will saves. At 5th level, these bonuses increase to +4.

{table]Chameleon Level|Power Points|Powers Known|Highest Power Level
1st|6|1|1st
2nd|10|2|2nd
3rd|13|2|3rd
4th|22|3|3rd
5th|27|3|4th
6th|42|4|4th
7th|54|4|5th
8th|70|5|5th
9th|82|5|6th
10th|99|6|6th[/table]

I tried to keep the progression for power points and power level as close to the Chameleon's normal spell progression as I could. The only anomaly is level one - because with a manifester level of two, the Chameleon couldn't manifest second-level powers anyway.

Eloel
2009-09-03, 05:40 AM
Too many powers known, seeing as how you change them every day anyway.
Faking psionics is OK. Faking it so you're better than a primary-manifester (Wilder), is nowhere near OK. IMO, 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 would be a better way of handling the powers known issue. (Wilder gets 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6...) Under current system, a 10th level Chameleon knows as many powers as a 20th level Wilder, and can change them pretty much at-will. (compared to you-choose-it-sticks approach of Wilder)

An aura-user you can check out is Dragon Shaman. Bard can also be seen as a aura-user, depending on how much they sing.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-03, 06:47 AM
Giving the chameleon just four powers to play with at level 10 is silly. So I've changed the progression to 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6. :smalltongue: Same as the Wilder, except... the Chameleon can only get up to level 10, so at level 15 (when a Chameleon can first have 10 Chameleon levels), the Wilder will be better. Which is how it's meant to be.

Dragon Shaman uses auras? Okay, thanks. I'll check it out and see what I can come up with...

Siegel
2009-09-03, 07:03 AM
Could you give him the Spellthiefs abilities ?

For the ToB Stuff, i would give them one discipline they can change each day.

Eloel
2009-09-03, 07:34 AM
Chameleon is supposed to mimic concepts, not classes, Spellthief is out (imo).
A Draconic Focus might help out, giving him a breath weapon.

I also think Chameleon should get a specific ability for double abilities. I listed classes where an idea could be taken off of.

I'll ignore Incarnum, since I know nothing on them.

Stealth/Divine -> 'Unseen Seer'
Stealth/Combat -> 'Rogue'
Stealth/Arcane -> 'Beguiler'
Stealth/Nature -> 'Ranger' (HiPS probably)
Stealth/Martial -> 'Swordsage'
Stealth/Invoker -> 'Warlock', Darkness area-boost or Invisibility boost
Stealth/Psionic -> 'Lurk'
Divine/Combat -> 'Paladin'
Divine/Arcane -> 'Artificer'
Divine/Nature -> 'Healer'
Divine/Martial -> 'Crusader'
Divine/Invoker -> 'Eldritch Disciple'
Divine/Psionic -> 'Divine Mind'
Combat/Arcane -> 'Duskblade'
Combat/Nature -> 'Ranger'
Combat/Martial -> 'Warblade'
Combat/Invoker -> 'Warlock' (Something akin to Eldritch Glaive)
Combat/Psionic -> 'Soulknife'
Arcane/Nature -> 'Arcane Hierophant'
Arcane/Martial -> 'Jade Phoenix Mage'
Arcane/Invoker -> 'Warlock'
Arcane/Psionic -> 'Cerebremancer', possible bonus to CL and ML
Nature/Martial -> 'Ranger' (Melee Combat Style-ish)
Nature/Invoker -> No idea of a class... Animal Growth-ish invocation?
Martial/Invoker -> No idea again. Reprepare 1 maneuver as a Swift action sounds like the deal though.

Edit
On another thought, a focus on Death could possibly be in place too.

Salvonus
2009-09-03, 08:12 AM
Hmm... That manifester level of Chameleon level x 2 is going to be a major problem. Because of augmentation, you'd be able to get the equivalent of a few 9th level powers per day. ML 18 at ECL 14 means that you'd be able to manifest powers that are noticeably stronger than those of a straight-classed Psion. You'd have less endurance, sure, but a 10th level Chameleon could still pull off 5 "9th level" powers per day. Furthermore, since you can choose from any list, you'd be able to really stack up on the quality powers.

For example:

A 10th level Chameleon could create 9th level Astral Constructs, while a 14th level Psion (Shaper) could only create 7th level ACs. Not only is that overpowered, but should a "dabbler" really be better at the signature Metacreativity power than someone who has dedicated themselves to the study of Psionics?

Another example - a 10th level Chameleon could manifest an Energy Missile that does 20d6+20 damage (Reflex Save: 29+Cha), whereas a Psion (Kineticist) could only manage 14d6+14 (Reflex Save: 23+Int).

'course, that's just considering what amounts to summoning and direct damage. Let's consider what one could pull off with a fully-augmented Dominate...

7 targets
Can affect any creature not immune to Mind-Affecting powers.
Duration of 20 days.
Will Save: 20+Cha

Congratulations - you can now run around enslaving everything in sight! :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I really love the idea, but ML is so different from CL. :smallsmile: That's why losing ML isn't so bad for a psionic character, as long as you can take Practised Manifester to make up the gap. :smalltongue:

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-03, 08:20 AM
But giving the Chameleon a manifester level equal to his class level would be severely underpowering - he wouldn't even be able to manifest 6th-level powers! What do you suggest?

Edit: Also, that many new abilities would just be... annoying. But having some of the focuses grant extra choices for Mimic Class Feature was one idea I had..

Edit^2: Spellthief? Stealth/Arcane. There's your Spellthief.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-03, 08:26 AM

Mrs. Cleo does it.

deuxhero
2009-09-03, 09:12 AM

I vaguely recall a TV show with that basic premise...

T.G. Oskar
2009-09-03, 10:06 AM

Well, I presume you've been attacked by all angles, but it's certainly not difficult. A naturally psionic race, a character with Wild Talent (or even Hidden Talent, which I perceive as better), or a character with Use Psionic Device can fake being a psychic just as well as a Rogue can feign being a magician with Use Magic Device. On that regard, Factotum are capable of feigning psionic power with this build, as they are one of the few classes that naturally have UPD in their class skill list (the other is Expert, but because of a different method; another way would be Exemplar)

In the reasoning you gave earlier (anyone can, with some time, learn to prepare Arcane Magic and with enough conviction use Divine Magic), this means that a character with the right state of mind can learn to duplicate psionics. The right state of mind would be having a power pool, because it allows the ability to assume psionic focus (even the concept of psionic focus leads to it)

I'd say that the feats should be a tad more restrictive. Technically, a character that puts its cross-class skill points in that level will eventually acquire the feat at level 10, considering you start Chameleon at that level; others will achieve it with uncanny ease (such as the Factotum or a level in Expert, which grant enough skills and skill points to minimize the risk. I'd say add the requirement of having the "introductory" feat (Martial Study for the Martial Focus, a natural power point pool for the Psionic Focus, Shape Soulmeld or Bonus Essentia for the Incarnum Focus) or a bit more solid requirement (Invoker Focus almost begs for UMD? I'd be tempted to say Leadership for Aura Focus, but the commander's auras would be a nice touch). In exchange, give a more endurable benefit to the Chameleon for taking one of it's own feat slots to use it (say, make Martial Lore a class skill for all future classes AND equal IL to character level, UP to the maximum character level you have; Invokers could take 10 on UMD much like a Warlock would, which is a nice gift). Add a Special portion where you can say "if you're using the bonus feat from the Chameleon class, you may qualify without X requirement, but you don't gain X ability".

As for the trouble with ML...I'd say, grant access to all powers except those which are unique to a discipline or mantle. That way, you don't gain access to some of the powerful ones. Indeed, with ML 20 at Chameleon 10 you'd have the rough equivalent of 9th level powers (in terms of DC and raw power), at the expense of consuming too much PP. At Chameleon 10, you could theoretically use four powers augmented to 20 (and limited to ML 20, mind you, while a 21st level Psion would have ML 21), and an extra one augmented to 19 before wasting all of its power, losing psionic focus and whatnot. That would be the equivalent of being capable of casting only 5 spells per day at max CL and Heightened to 9th level (and lo and behold, you could do that with a Factotum if you so desire...). You can't become a Chameleon unless you are around 6th-7th character level (the restrictions are quite heavy, and usually the right moment to do so would be level 11th...), so it would be rather fair (if you manage to somehow get in 7th level, that would be ML 14th, which is the equivalent of a 14th level Psion. At 10th level, you'd have less PP and powers than a 20th level Psion, even if you are somehow capable of manifesting from all disciplines and mantles; by that regard, a Psion with Overchannel already left you in the dust, manifesting more powers and ending with more than twice (I'd dare say thrice) your PP. The tough part would be at level 8th-9th of Chameleon, which implies having ML 16-18, in which the Chameleon may have an advantage.

Going nova on PP seems considerately dangerous, until you notice that the Psion or the Wilder does it better than you because of the sheer amount of powers and PP. Limiting the Chameleon's effective ML would end in disaster, since they wouldn't be capable of using 6th level powers (which require 11 points), and they wouldn't be anywhere near as strong as even a Psychic Warrior, which has around the same amount of PP, full ML, and less hassle. Or, say, a Warmind, which has even less PP and powers, but can reach a respectable ML 14-18 with Practiced Manifester. Also, do consider that the ML of a Chameleon can't be considered for the purpose of qualifying for feats, which throws Metapsionic feats and the entire set of ML-depending psionic feats out of the window.

However, if it's worrisome, just go with all powers sans discipline-exclusive and mantle-exclusive. I could make that compromise (I dunno if Yuki would, tho), if the power and exclusive spells seem to be a hassle. I mean, it's not like the Invoker Focus which grants 5 Invocations up to Greater, which can be (ab)used at will...

EdroGrimshell
2009-09-03, 10:16 AM
Maybe you should add in new class features they can mimic for each of the feats. Like wild surge for the psionic focus. Would that be acceptable?

Also, thanx for this, i have been trying to get the same idea hammered out (only i called them persona feats) and it was really difficult with some of the ideas. One that i wanted to see done is an improved focus that allowed you to more fully immerse yourself into the role you are mimicing, such as spontaneous casting (preparing spells known from a spell book then casting them at any time afterwards), but i can't think of anything for the other foci. Could you try something like that.

Cieyrin
2009-09-03, 10:49 AM
These are awesome, Yuki. Well done!:smallbiggrin:

The only thing I see noticeably absent from mention so far is a lack of Shadowcasting! Delvers into the lore of the Plane of Shadow need love, too.

I agree with Oskar on limiting Power Selection away from Mantle or Discipline specific powers (a Wilder couldn't pick up those types of powers naturally, anyways) and maybe change the ML to a staggered approach, going up 2 every odd level and 1 every even, leading to 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15. This'll keep up and surpass minimum ML for Power Level as presented but you're not clearly killing the real practitioners at their own game, which is the goal here.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Eloel
2009-09-03, 11:09 AM
Truenaming Focus! You learn to read what those weird pronunciations in dictionaries mean, and thus you can name stuff! :p

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-03, 11:13 AM
So did everyone miss the fact that I actually made a Psychic Focus? Arguing against my reasons for not doing it now is a little silly.

These are awesome, Yuki. Well done!:smallbiggrin:

The only thing I see noticeably absent from mention so far is a lack of Shadowcasting! Delvers into the lore of the Plane of Shadow need love, too.

I agree with Oskar on limiting Power Selection away from Mantle or Discipline specific powers (a Wilder couldn't pick up those types of powers naturally, anyways) and maybe change the ML to a staggered approach, going up 2 every odd level and 1 every even, leading to 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15. This'll keep up and surpass minimum ML for Power Level as presented but you're not clearly killing the real practitioners at their own game, which is the goal here.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

A Chameleon with Arcane focus can learn and prepare any arcane spell. Wizard, bard, assassin, wu jen, you name it.

A Chameleon with Divine focus can prepare any divine spell. Cleric, druid, paladin, ranger, domain, shugenja, whatever.

I don't see any difference here, do you?

T.G. Oskar
2009-09-03, 11:25 AM
So did everyone miss the fact that I actually made a Psychic Focus? Arguing against my reasons for not doing it now is a little silly.

It's still valuable. You did it because you were pressed; now, you have a fluffy reason how to justify it. So it's not that silly.

Besides, I know you can defend yourself, but some extra evidence to the ML 20 reasoning is never bad. At all.

Yuki Akuma
2009-09-03, 11:37 AM
Actually, I did it because I was bored and it was easier to design mechanically than a binder or aura focus.

Amadi
2009-09-04, 10:30 AM
Invoker Focus is a bit over-the-top. I would reduce the amount of invocations known by one at all levels. This should bring it more in-line.

I agree merging Combat Focus and Initiator Focus should be done, just doesn't make much sense otherwise. And getting both of them would be a bit stupid.

Incarnum Focus seems to be in-line, as well as psychic focus. Ability to create stupid astral construct is not much more worrisome as the nuking power of a chameleon who picked up a few orb-spells.

All in all, good work here.

This should make [Factotum 8 / Chameleon 10 / Exemplar 1 / Monk 1] even more awesome it is. Picking up Carmendine Monk and Font of Inspiration times 20, of course. :smallwink:

wadledo
2009-09-04, 02:18 PM
Invoker focus is fine.
If you do anything to it, I'd drop first level down to 1 at first level, and then make it so you get another one every even level(for a total of 6 at 10th).
You don't get eldritch blasts remember, so you have to get some nice things.