PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 prc redux) hammer of moradin, sublime style

Stycotl
2009-09-02, 12:40 PM
Hammer of Moradin–Sublime Variant

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ph2_gallery/97110.jpg

Original Version Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040305a)

Citadel Adbar has trained an elite unit of dwarven warrior-priests for hundreds of years now. The hammers of Moradin have shaken the very earth with their war cries and hammerblows, and have shattered the will of their enemies in the deepest tunnels and upon the highest mountains of the region.

Recently, it has come to the attention of the hammers that their order did not actually originate within the Citadel. As it turns out, a dwarven crusader-priest known as Ibruk, devoutly reverent to the Soulforger, brought the secrets of the hammers' discipline to Citadel Adbar over 800 years ago after he learned them at the feet of a student of the Temple of the Nine Swords.

Finding his kin at Citadel Adbar in need of some powerful training, Ibruk adapted his martial skills to the potent faith of the Citadel's priests, and within two years, the hammers of Moradin were born. Ibruk disappeared from Adbar history after this point, but it was known that he had other students in other dwarf lands, and that some of them were not priests. Since that time, the few warriors that knew of the original discipline were always few and far between, Citadel Adbar having been the largest of Ibruk's training sessions. But recently, three or four of his martial students have banded together in order to teach its secrets to dwarves everywhere, so long as they are faithful to Moradin.

Some say that Ibruk himself appeared to his students and told them to begin training others, that the future of dwarves everywhere lies in darkness and bloodshed and that Moradin wants his children prepared for the violence that is to come.

Hit Dice: d10

Requirements

Race: Dwarf
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Craft (weaponsmithing) 10 ranks
Feats: Iron Will, Weapon Focus (warhammer)
Martial Maneuvers: Able to initiate 4th level martial maneuvers of the Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, or Stone Dragon disciplines
Patron Deity: Moradin
Special: Unlike the priestly hammers of Moradin, the martial discipline has never been closely tied to a single clan or military unit, so initiates have come from far and wide. Because of this, their screening of potential hammers has been much more rigid.

Class Skills

Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Intimidation (Cha), Knowledge (architecture and engineering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Skill Points at Each Level: 4+Int mod

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Aura of Courage
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Iron Meteor
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|DR 2/-, Powerful Grip
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Quake
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Power Strike
6th|+6|+5|+2|+5|Dr 4/-
7th|+7|+5|+2|+5|Stalwart
8th|+8|+6|+2|+6|Thunder Strike
9th|+9|+6|+3|+6|DR 6/-
10th|+10|+7|+3|+7|Lightning Throw
[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|-|-
2nd|-|-|-
3rd|1|1|-
4th|-|-|-
5th|1|-|1
6th|-|1|-
7th|1|-|-
8th|-|-|-
9th|1|1|-
10th|-|-|1
[/table]

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Hammer of Moradin prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Hammers of Moradin are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor, and with shields (including tower shields). Armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble, and double the normal armor check penalty applies to Swim checks.

Martial Maneuvers: The hammer of Moradin gains new maneuvers known at each odd level. He can choose maneuvers from the Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, and Stone Dragon disciplines, though he must meet the maneuver's prerequisites. He adds his full hammer of Moradin levels to his initiator level in order to determine total initiator level and maximum maneuver level know. At 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels, the hammer of Moradin gains an additional maneuver readied per day.

Stances Known: The hammer of Moradin learns a new stance at 5th and 10th levels from either the Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, or Stone Dragon disciplines. He must meet the prerequisites of the stance to learn it.

Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at 1st level, a hammer of Moradin gains an aura of courage that functions exactly like the paladin ability of the same name.

Iron Meteor (Ex): This is treated as a 4th level martial strike of the Iron Heart discipline that the hammer of Moradin must ready normally. The hammer of Moradin can make a melee attack against one target within normal range of a thrown warhammer. A successful attack inflicts an additional 8d6 damage.The thrown weapon returns just before the hammer of Moradin's next turn, as if with the returning ability, so that it is ready to use again in that turn.

Damage Reduction (Ex): The hammer of Moradin gains DR 2/-. This increases to DR 4/- at 6th level, and DR 6/- at 9th level.

Powerful Grip (Ex): The hammer of Moradin gains a bonus equal to one-half his Strength bonus (rounded down) on damage rolls when wielding a warhammer in melee. Thus his bonus on damage rolls with this weapon equals 1.5 times his Strength bonus when he wields it in one hand, and twice his Strength bonus when he wields it in two hands.

Quake (Su): By striking his warhammer violently against the ground as a standard act, the hammer of Moradin creates a shock wave that shakes the earth in front of him. Each creature touching the ground in a 60-foot cone from the point of impact must make a successful Reflex save (DC 10+hammer of Moradin level+hammer of Moradin's Strength bonus) or be knocked prone.

Power Strike (Su): This is treated as a 6th level martial boost of the Stone Dragon discipline that the hammer of Moradin must ready normally, and can only be used with a warhammer. With this maneuver, he can strike his foe so hard that the blow leaves the opponent dazed. For one round, any foe damaged by the hammer of Moradin's melee attacks with a warhammer must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 10+hammer of Moradin+hammer of Moradin's Strength bonus) or be dazed one round. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be dazed.

Stalwart (Ex): This is treated as a Devoted Spirit stance of 7th level. Hammers of Moradin are renowned for their ability to stand strong in the face of a hail of arrows, or wade into a throng of shrieking goblins and emerge untouched. When adopting this stance, the hammer of Moradin may add his base Will save modifier as a sacred bonus to his armor class. While in this stance though, a hammer of Moradin can only take 5-foot steps. This stance is only usable if the hammer of Moradin is standing on the ground.

Thunder Strike (Su): The hammer of Moradin's blows with his warhammer are so mighty that armor not only offers little protection from them, but it can also act as a conduit for the force of the blow, causing his opponent even more pain. When wielding his warhammer, the hammer of Moradin gains a bonus on melee damage rolls equal to his foe's base armor bonus (not including enhancement bonuses, and not including shields). Thus, a hammer of Moradin striking a creature wearing a breastplate gains a +5 bonus on his damage rolls against that creature.

Lightning Throw: The hammer of Moradin learns the Iron Heart strike, lightning throw, even if he does not otherwise meet the maneuver's prerequisites, and can ready and use it normally. If he uses a warhammer with the maneuver, its range is increased to a 60-foot line.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-02, 12:58 PM
OK, to start off: I'm not familiar with the original Hammer of Moradin PrC (I assume there is one since you call this a redux). Furthermore, I'm assuming PEACH. Cease reading if you want only sunshine and singing bunny-rabbits as opposed to a mixed bag of praise and constructive criticism. :smallbiggrin:

Requirements:
These look pretty solid and properly formatted. Martial manuevers are a ToB thing, I'm guessing? So this class is only available to those with a non-core base class? Fair enough; I wouldn't use it, but I know ToB is very popular. I don't quite get why the Craft skill is required. I don't see how it directly ties into the flavor, nor does it seem related to any gained class abilities. I think the idea of warriors who can make their own weapons (over a lot of time and with the normal process, granted) is cool, but if you're going to require that, you might want to more clearly tie it in to class features or description.

Class Features:

Armor check penalties for armor heavier than leather apply to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, and Tumble, and double the normal armor check penalty applies to Swim checks.

Why do you include this? After all, masterwork studded leather or (I think) mithral chain gives no armor check penalties! This seems unnecessary and somewhat inaccurate, so I'd recommend omitting it, or at the very least rewording.

Thunder strike is pretty nifty. Did you come up with it yourself, or is it copied from the original PrC?

Otherwise, features either look good or are dependent on ToB stuff I'm not familiar with. :smallsmile:

Stycotl
2009-09-02, 02:08 PM
OK, to start off: I'm not familiar with the original Hammer of Moradin PrC (I assume there is one since you call this a redux). Furthermore, I'm assuming PEACH. Cease reading if you want only sunshine and singing bunny-rabbits as opposed to a mixed bag of praise and constructive criticism. :smallbiggrin:

Requirements:
These look pretty solid and properly formatted. Martial manuevers are a ToB thing, I'm guessing? So this class is only available to those with a non-core base class? Fair enough; I wouldn't use it, but I know ToB is very popular. I don't quite get why the Craft skill is required. I don't see how it directly ties into the flavor, nor does it seem related to any gained class abilities. I think the idea of warriors who can make their own weapons (over a lot of time and with the normal process, granted) is cool, but if you're going to require that, you might want to more clearly tie it in to class features or description.

it was a prereq of the original class. the link to the original is included right underneath the picture in the first post. you can look at that to compare and contrast.

Class Features:

Why do you include this? After all, masterwork studded leather or (I think) mithral chain gives no armor check penalties! This seems unnecessary and somewhat inaccurate, so I'd recommend omitting it, or at the very least rewording.

that was just another copy-paste issue from the original class. i think it is redundantly redundant in order to provide that info, but wizards does a lot of strange things.

Thunder strike is pretty nifty. Did you come up with it yourself, or is it copied from the original PrC?

i wish that i could claim it. nope, that one was from the original.

Otherwise, features either look good or are dependent on ToB stuff I'm not familiar with. :smallsmile:

cool. i really changed very little of the class; i stripped out the favored-enemy flavor abilities (though some of them were pretty cool), and the stone-walking capstone in order to balance it out.

then i just raised the prereqs and turned some of the abilities into martial maneuvers.

i always liked the hammer of moradin prc, but thought it would be even cooler as a sublime prc than a divine caster-dependent prc.

anyway, thanks for the comments.