PDA

View Full Version : Introducing new people to Role Playing

Aptera
2009-09-02, 01:23 PM
I'm looking for advice, and I think you all can help. You see, When I first started role playing I got together a group of 4-5 players with me as their newbie GM, we all sort of learned how this worked together. However over the years this player group has dwindled and I'm now at 2-3 players, so it becomes difficult to play some of our favorite games and since if even one person drops out the game sort of dies, its difficult to schedule. The good news is that I'm about to go to a new environment, one that I believe to be filled with lots of gamer type people, I want to recruit new people, preferably 2-3. However I've never done that before.

In the past I was just friends with the people I got to role play with me, and it was okay if someone messed up the rules and stuff, because thats what everybody did, but now I have an established group of players, and a much better grasp of the rules, but I don't want to be harsh and be the Stop Having Fun Guy. Also, since I've only role played with the same group of people for a while now, and really don't have experience with others I'm kind of worried that there will be things in the group dynamic that I won't really catch when they start.

I've decided that I'd like to play with 4th Edition D&D, because me and my players personally enjoy it, and it seems simple enough to learn. I prefer if you didn't try to convince me that I should use some other system, but really just prefer some general advice on new players.

Thanks in Advance!

Umael
2009-09-02, 01:39 PM
Okay.

Maybe I missed it.

For what kind of advice are you looking?

Aptera
2009-09-02, 10:02 PM
Okay.

Maybe I missed it.

For what kind of advice are you looking? Sorry, I got off track. I'm looking for advice on introducing people to role playing and integrating them into an established group.

Elfin
2009-09-02, 10:40 PM
I don't have much experience with 4e, but here are some general guidelines:

1. Go at the new player's speed. Bear with them at all times, and be prepared to repeat things, even if they seem obvious to you.
2. It doesn't matter if their character is the scraping the very bottom of the pit of unoptimization - optimization comes later, after they've learned the game.
3. This is related to #1, but I'm going to say it again: Be kind. Be understanding. Remember, you were learning the game once, too.
4. A good method for a green player is to have them tell you what they want to do; then you tell them what skill they're using, what die they need to roll, and what modifiers they need to add. Once they've rolled, say whether they succeed or fail.
5. Above all, have fun! :smalltongue:
The last one is obligatory.

Mathius
2009-09-02, 10:47 PM
If you are looking for how to find players: Hit local bookstores and gaming shops. The chances are good that they will have some sort of board that has numbers and what have you for people interested in RPGs. Just find a couple that suit your fancy and get hooked up.

If you are looking for how to get people that are not currently into RPGs interested: The best line to use that I have found is "Its a lot like a video game except there are no load screens or invisible walls." This gets a lot of people interested. Elvenblade has it pretty much right on.

Good luck to you.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-02, 10:49 PM
Quick question, are you new at 4E too? I have had experience with a complete newbie group.

Optimystik
2009-09-02, 11:14 PM
The CRPGs do a great job of infecting newbies with the D&D "bug." I'd never even heard of D&D before Baldur's Gate, and now here I am with a stockpile of sourcebooks.

Because the computer is both handling all the mechanics and visualizing the fluff, the player is free to concentrate on the game itself. I recommend NWN2 as it follows 3.5 rules.

Mystic Muse
2009-09-03, 01:19 AM
remember to make sure your rules are clear at the beginning of the game/session.

for introduciing new people. I don't know. look at your FLGS, book store, movie store, snack store. (what? I'm hungry) anything. at book stores hunt down the people looking in D&D books. try to avoid those that look angry.

Trodon
2009-09-03, 01:25 AM
I don't have much experience with 4e, but here are some general guidelines:

1. Go at the new player's speed. Bear with them at all times, and be prepared to repeat things, even if they seem obvious to you.
2. It doesn't matter if their character is the scraping the very bottom of the pit of unoptimization - optimization comes later, after they've learned the game.
3. This is related to #1, but I'm going to say it again: Be kind. Be understanding. Remember, you were learning the game once, too.
4. A good method for a green player is to have them tell you what they want to do; then you tell them what skill they're using, what die they need to roll, and what modifiers they need to add. Once they've rolled, say whether they succeed or fail.
5. Above all, have fun! :smalltongue:
The last one is obligatory.

This is the best advice that you will get.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-03, 01:32 AM
I don't really agree with this one. I know at least two people who were turned off by 4E because they made e.g. a low-strength fighter, or a low-charisma bard, which resulted in their frustration of missing way more often in combat than the other players.

So no, they don't have to optimize much, but warn them away from some basic beginner's mistakes.

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 09:26 AM
I don't really agree with this one. I know at least two people who were turned off by 4E because they made e.g. a low-strength fighter, or a low-charisma bard, which resulted in their frustration of missing way more often in combat than the other players.

So no, they don't have to optimize much, but warn them away from some basic beginner's mistakes.

I agree completely. There's a difference between optimizing and munchkining. Now low-dex, high-wis rogues, please.