PDA

View Full Version : Creating a custom magic item for a PC(4e)

Sipex
2009-09-02, 01:41 PM
So recently my group's rogue recovered his father's sword from a dragon's treasure horde (he bargained for it). It's all rusty and generally useless but he wants to get it re-forged. I was thinking of having it be a progressive item. First reforging gets it up to a +2 modifier (he's level 5 now) and progress as he finds more skilled masters or does certain quest hooks (it'll probably end up being his main weapon for the game).

Anywho, any suggestions for powers I could give this weapon? I was thinking something light to start off and gradually getting better as it upgrades.

For background, the sword used to belong to his father who was a human who married his mother, an elf, in a sort of all-elf village which tends to look down on anything not elf (although they have leniancy for Eladrin). His mother was killed and the city blamed his father who was either exiled or left out of shame, leaving him on his own. He took the sword (which his father left behind) and jabbed it into the village council's table before exiling himself as well. The council obviously had it removed and they put it by the rogue's mother's tombstone. Ten years later they returned to his village to find that kobolds had been raiding it taking everything remotely shiny...which is how it ended up with the dragon.

DarknessLord
2009-09-02, 02:24 PM
I'd say base it off the Duelist's Weapon, and tie it into a revenge plot line.
Example:
Sword of Unclaimed Vengeance
This sword, used once in a display of anger, now seeks true satisfaction for the cause.

This sword functions like a Duelist's Weapon except when used by <character name> or his father, it's crit die are d8s (d10s if they have combat advantage). In addition, when used against anyone who killed <character name>'s mother or those who exiled his father from the village it's crit die are d12s, and it's daily power has recharge 6 (5,6 at paragon and 4.5,6 at epic).

Now you have a sword tied into that, naturally this weapon should change when this plotline is resolved.
Should he actually take his revenge on the person who killed his mother and/or the council:

Sword of Vengeance Claimed
Bathed in the blood of those responsible for the crimes committed against it's wielder, this blade seeks more blood to satisfy it.

This sword functions like a Duelist's Weapon except when used by <character name> or his father, it's crit die are d10s (d12s if they have combat advantage). In addition it may use it's daily power an extra time a day per tier, against bloodied enemies only.

And should he forgive/just not kill them:

Sword of Vengeance Forgotten
Marked by the act of mercy shown by <character name> this sword recalls it's former wielder's desire to protect his son.

This sword functions like a Duelist's Weapon except when used by <character name> or his father, it's crit die are d8s (d10s if they have combat advantage). In addition, this weapon when wielded by <character name> gives him the benefits of wearing an amulet of protection of the same enhancement bonus, and allows him to use it's daily power as an encounter power.

Sipex
2009-09-02, 02:29 PM
I like that, the way I'm writing things so far this should work too.

Thanks, I'll definitely take that input into consideration.

Mando Knight
2009-09-02, 02:54 PM
What kind of sword is it? A longsword or such can't normally be used by a Rogue at all. If it isn't a short sword or rapier, I'd consider adding the following property:

Property: This weapon can be used as if it were a light blade. A character proficient in Short Swords is proficient in this weapon.

Now, this can be rather overpowered on a Bastard Sword, Fullblade, Mordenkrad, etc., but it's similar to a Mage's Weapon in terms of proficiency, similar to the Pact Weapons in terms of being able to use the weapon as if it were something else, and is supposed to be for a unique item. If put on a Longsword, it's essentially giving the character a single feat (Weapon Proficiency: Rapier) for free... which is about the same as what the Pact Sword does for an Eladrin Warlock (Arcane Implement Proficiency: Heavy Blades).

cdrcjsn
2009-09-02, 03:38 PM
Just ask everyone in the group what sort of magic items they want for their characters, including the rogue.

The DMG recommends this anyhow (makes it easier to plan treasure bundles).

Sipex
2009-09-03, 09:16 AM
It's a short sword, the player in question is happy with his weapons as long as they're bladed and I didn't think to give it a special 'light blade' property instead.

He's cool with it though, he likes it, came up with the initial concept and will be able to attack well with it.