PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 2 knights using test of mettle?

rezplz
2009-09-02, 06:40 PM
So me and a friend were joking around that, for our party, we should both be knights. We were wondering what the effect would be if we both used the test of mettle ability at the same time. Assuming equal save DCs, initiative, and DEX modifiers, who would they attack?

Swordguy
2009-09-02, 06:41 PM
Whomever has annoyed the GM more recently.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-02, 07:02 PM
The closer target. Alternatively, they pull out a bow and full attack, targeting both.

rezplz
2009-09-02, 07:05 PM
The closer target. Alternatively, they pull out a bow and full attack, targeting both.

What if we're both the same distance away, and they don't have a bow?

Fax Celestis
2009-09-02, 07:08 PM
What if we're both the same distance away, and they don't have a bow?

Whichever knight's challenge is "more recent". Even if you have synchronous inits, you still have to tiebreak (first by checking Dex mods, then by rolling a second init check) to determine who goes first.

lsfreak
2009-09-02, 07:10 PM
Is it even possible for you to use it at the same time? Rules-wise, I'm pretty sure there's a clear "first" and "second" user, in which case the second should overwrite the first (even on same initiative, you have someone acting first and someone acting second, and readying makes it go off right before the triggering action, which I assume would be the other knight using Test of Mettle).

If that situation were to actually come up, I'd say they have to attack one of them, but are free to choose which one to attack, but must stick to that target.

Indon
2009-09-02, 07:22 PM
I'd have the knights make opposed Charisma checks to see who turned out to be the target, to reflect their back-and-forth as to who would be the better opponent.

dragoonsgone
2009-09-02, 07:26 PM
I'd go with most recent, unless of course yall say it at the exact same time. Then its whoever says jinx first.

nysisobli
2009-09-02, 07:30 PM
I would hand each of the human players a sword, and make them fight to death. Whichever player is left alive, that players pc is the target. The other one however will now be npc'd by me.

dragoonsgone
2009-09-02, 07:39 PM
I would hand each of the human players a sword, and make them fight to death. Whichever player is left alive, that players pc is the target. The other one however will now be npc'd by me.

oooh I like that one better. I'm switching mine to that.

deuxhero
2009-09-02, 08:20 PM
Sounds funny to me
Knight 1:Get over here
Knight 2:No, get over here
Knight 1:No, no here

Olo Demonsbane
2009-09-02, 08:54 PM
All enemies subject to two Knight's Challenges at the same time instantly gain 10 levels of the bloodstorm blade class.

See, that was easy.

bosssmiley
2009-09-03, 09:38 AM
Throw it into the lap of the Dice Gods and roll for it.