PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Two Divine Class Questions

Rhiannon87
2009-09-02, 07:14 PM
1) I need a list of any cleric PrC's with full casting and good alignment BESIDES Radiant Servant. I've got a friend who's trying to build a 16th level cleric; optimization is an absolute non-issue. Fluff > crunch. No feat suggestions, no crazy mechanics involving nightsticks and cheese. Just Prestige Classes with full casting and good alignment, preferably angled towards chaotic good.

2) Are there any feats/PrC's that grant an animal companion or special mount the ability to speak? Related to that, I seem to remember there being a feat of some kind that let you take your special mount or companion as a cohort with Leadership... am I just imagining things, or does this exist?

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2009-09-02, 07:28 PM
Does it have to require Good alignment, or just be open to Good alignment?

Church Inquisitor - LG or LN
Contemplative - Any
Divine Oracle - Any
Sacred Exorcist - Any Good
Paragnostic Apostle - Any

Those are from CD and CC, I'll have to look around for more.

Eldariel
2009-09-02, 07:30 PM
Exalted Animal Companion [BoED] gives your AC Int 3, which should mean it knows a language.

As for Cleric PrCs:
Church Inquisitor [CDivine]
Sacred Exorcist [CDivine]
Contemplative [CDivine]
Dweomerkeeper [CDivine Web Enhancement]
Divine Disciple [PGtFaerun]
Divine Oracle [CDivine]
Thaumaturgist [DMG]

Off the top of my head.

JeminiZero
2009-09-02, 07:32 PM
1) I need a list of any cleric PrC's with full casting and good alignment BESIDES Radiant Servant. I've got a friend who's trying to build a 16th level cleric; optimization is an absolute non-issue. Fluff > crunch. No feat suggestions, no crazy mechanics involving nightsticks and cheese. Just Prestige Classes with full casting and good alignment, preferably angled towards chaotic good.

Off the top of my head
-Contemplative
-Sacred Exorcist
-Church Inquisitor
-Divine Oracle
-Stormlord (refluff as befitting your campaigns storm diety)
-Lore Master (terrible choice optimization wise, but its there)
-Alienist
-Paragnostic Apostle (if you can somehow meet the Knowledge Arcane requirements)

Related to that, I seem to remember there being a feat of some kind that let you take your special mount or companion as a cohort with Leadership... am I just imagining things, or does this exist?

There is the Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), which lets a character gain an animal as a cohort (rather than a normal NPC from Leadership).

Eldariel
2009-09-02, 07:42 PM
If you have Leadership, you should be able to take a Mount/whatever as a Cohort with no extra feats. Many creatures have entries for Cohort LA and the rest can be worked out. There's also the specifically designed Dragon Cohort which...well, you don't need imagination to figure out what it does.

Nohwl
2009-09-02, 09:25 PM
knight of the raven is pretty awesome but its 9/10 casting.

Doc Roc
2009-09-02, 09:32 PM
Howsabout a rare one?

Windwalker, faiths and pantheons, Pg 212.
Just about the only full BAB/casting prestige for divine casters. Also, great fluff, good aligned, and hilariously cool\weird abilities.

Optimystik
2009-09-02, 09:39 PM
Howsabout a rare one?

Windwalker, faiths and pantheons, Pg 212.
Just about the only full BAB/casting prestige for divine casters. Also, great fluff, good aligned, and hilariously cool\weird abilities.

That one's 3e and more for rangers I think (since it needs Track and Wilderness Lore) despite the full casting. Also, ouch on the weak fort save. Still, nice fluff.

Rhiannon87
2009-09-03, 07:44 AM
Exalted Animal Companion [BoED] gives your AC Int 3, which should mean it knows a language.

Hm. So if a paladin's special mount has gotten those INT boosts, it should be able to talk? I assumed that since most other special animals, such as familiars, had specific abilities referencing speech, that it had to be a specifically listed ability. 'Cause by the time a paladin is level 15, their mount has an INT of 9... Should the super-smart horse be able to speak by default, then?

Sliver
2009-09-03, 08:03 AM
Hm. So if a paladin's special mount has gotten those INT boosts, it should be able to talk? I assumed that since most other special animals, such as familiars, had specific abilities referencing speech, that it had to be a specifically listed ability. 'Cause by the time a paladin is level 15, their mount has an INT of 9... Should the super-smart horse be able to speak by default, then?

I'm pretty sure that knowing a language due to INT bonus will allow the animal to understand the language, but not speak it without other special means

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 09:38 AM

No matter how smart a horse gets, intelligence won't grant it the anatomical structures needed to form speech any more than a rat familiar would be able to speak. But if you got telepathy somehow, you'd be able to converse with it.

Eldariel
2009-09-03, 10:41 AM

MM1 description says the following:
"Every creature with an Int score of 3 or higher understands at least 1 language."

I suppose you need to give it 2 ranks in Speak Language to get it to actually speak. The "vocal tract"-complaints are valid, but you could easily argue that a Celestial Creature has magically gained the capability to produce speech. But yeah, by default, they can only understand a language. Small leap to being able to speak though.