PDA

View Full Version : [4E]The Unwarded Warden

Indon
2009-09-02, 07:37 PM
So, I'm playing a Level 9 Goliath Warden with the Earthwarden feature and 22 con. He has huge AC and Fort defense and HP's, which is awesome, but there's a downside to that.

My problem is, his Will and Reflex defenses are 17 each. My DM hasn't figured out yet that he could probably flatten me with a single enemy targeting those saves yet, but I dread the moment when he does.

Aside from taking the Paragon feats to raise his will and reflex defenses when I can, and getting a better neck-slot item (saving for a +3 to upgrade my +1), is there any way I can bolster my guy's weak defenses before my DM realizes just how unwarded I really am?

...or is this seemingly glaring weakness just natural for this character build, and I'm going to have to just live with it (or die from it eventually)?

Kesnit
2009-09-02, 08:04 PM
...or is this seemingly glaring weakness just natural for this character build, and I'm going to have to just live with it (or die from it eventually)?

One PC can't be everything. Great strengths (high AC and Fort) are countered by great weaknesses (Reflex and Will). You can get items to boost those, but from the sound of it, they will always be lower than your AC and Fort.

Be prepared to RP laying on your back :smallsmile: or wandering around, talking to walls. :smallbiggrin:

FlawedParadigm
2009-09-02, 08:10 PM
This is the main reason that I generally play Wildblood Wardens. You get that abyssmal Will up, and have the option of a shield for Reflex. Getting a +3 neck slot item should be high priority, and I'd probably go ahead and get Iron Will. Reflex tends to be the "best" NAD to have low just because it has less annoying status effects attached to it usually, but if you've got the feat to spare, it might not be a bad idea either.

While you're into the Earthstrength bit, though, consider MCing into Barbarian and using Novice Power to grab Storm of Blades. May as well have fun with the Str/Con while you've got it. If you have AV 2, Maw of the Guardian is a very very nice weapon enchantment, too.

Indon
2009-09-02, 08:32 PM
One PC can't be everything.

But I'm the only defender in a group of six!

Ah, well, at least I have Font of Life to minimize the time I have to RP laying on my back.

Also, my 17 Reflex save, includes +2 from a shield. :P

I guess I'll just have to be careful around controllers.

Thajocoth
2009-09-02, 08:33 PM
Things that target your NADs tend to be strong due to adverse effects, like ongoing damage or domination. You get to try to save BEFORE your turn starts... You get twice the save. So I wouldn't worry too much.