PDA

View Full Version : magic weapon +already magic weapon

awa
2009-09-02, 09:19 PM
Lets say you have +1 flaming, holy, bane ect sword and then a level 20 charecter castes greater magic weapon on it is this legal?

DragoonWraith
2009-09-02, 09:24 PM
Yes. The enhancement bonus increases to +X (depending on Caster Level), and the sword keeps the rest of its bonuses.

Note that the existing enhancement bonus and GMW do not stack, so a +5 sword does not become +10 or something. It is therefore rather pointless to have an enhancement bonus higher than the required +1 if you have any reliable source of GMW.

Ranos
2009-09-02, 09:26 PM
Enhancement bonuses overlap, but the rest stacks just fine.

Edit : Ninja'd. And I'm the one with a ninja avatar, dammit.

kamikasei
2009-09-03, 03:16 AM
It is therefore rather pointless to have an enhancement bonus higher than the required +1 if you have any reliable source of GMW.

One exception is that greater augment crystals from MIC require a +3 base weapon. (Not sure whether you can use GMW on the weapon to make it qualify...).

Kaiyanwang
2009-09-03, 03:28 AM
Edit : Ninja'd. And I'm the one with a ninja avatar, dammit.

*points forefinger*

Ah-ah!

Eloel
2009-09-03, 04:02 AM
One exception is that greater augment crystals from MIC require a +3 base weapon. (Not sure whether you can use GMW on the weapon to make it qualify...).

You can, but they stop working when GMW ends, till you recast it.

BobVosh
2009-09-03, 04:10 AM
+3 enhancement? I thought it was +3 equivalence.

kamikasei
2009-09-03, 04:15 AM
+3 enhancement? I thought it was +3 equivalence.

I'm sure I'm not misremembering it because I noted it at the time as an attempt to counteract the "all you need is a +1 X of awesomeness and GMW" approach, but I may have misread it in the first place.

Sliver
2009-09-03, 04:35 AM
Nah, kamikasei is right..

A greater augment crystal functions only when attached to
an object with a magical enhancement bonus of +3 or higher.
Only the item's actual bonus applies, not its "effective" bonus;
for example, a +1 keen holy flaming burst longsword won't allow
a greater augment crystal to function, since its actual bonus is
only +1.

Eloel
2009-09-03, 04:48 AM
GMW still allows it to function while it's in effect though. It's similar to how Ring of Evasion works.