PDA

View Full Version : Issues picking Class

Kilmrak
2009-09-02, 10:28 PM
Well the issue Im having is that I am about to start in a campain that runs Gestalt characters and I cant decide what to pick for classes. the campain will start from 1st level to hopefully 20 and its a big party (like 10 people) so it will probably degrade to PvP with aliances and backstabbing so it would help if it was "self sufficient" or more accuratly incredibly optimized. The only restriction is that it has to be all core at creation but later he might allow feats and spells from outside core. Oh and I cant multiclass or Prestige class ( I know it sucks)
Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

deuxhero
2009-09-02, 10:32 PM
Psion/Warblade IIRC.

For core?

Wizard//Cleric or Druid.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-02, 11:23 PM
Rogue/Druid.

Primary caster? Check.
All good saves? Check.

Plus, Rogue gives you the nice ability to sneak attack for more damage (turn into a housecat and attack for 1d4-3+10d6 damage), and variations on Uncanny dodge.

Mongoose87
2009-09-02, 11:25 PM
Rogue/Druid.

Primary caster? Check.
All good saves? Check.

Plus, Rogue gives you the nice ability to sneak attack for more damage (turn into a housecat and attack for 1d4-3+10d6 damage), and variations on Uncanny dodge.

In a similar vein, Swordsage//Cleric could provide for a maneuver-possessing Divine Power using death machine.

I am a useless individual.
EDIT: Just noticed Core requirement. Ignore me.

BobVosh
2009-09-02, 11:28 PM
Strong optimization? I vote for rogue/druid as well. Anything you can't fight you can spellcast at. Or shift and RLH. Also druid is the easy mode way to get pounce.

*edit* Oh, I forgot: It also doesn't have too much MAD like most gestalts in core tend to. You need Wisdom, Con, and int. In that order. Take charisma if you want to UMD.

Fax Celestis
2009-09-02, 11:35 PM
Core-only?

Monk//Cleric, Rogue//Druid, Rogue//Wizard, Ranger//Cleric and Ranger//Druid are all very solid.

sonofzeal
2009-09-02, 11:47 PM
Rogue // Druid works very well if you can transition to Daggerspell Shaper without losing caster levels. It might not be ideal from optimization standpoints, but will give you a bunch of nifty new tricks and give you 9 levels to play around with stuff on the other side (assuming you blew that first level keeping your CL up).

Doc Roc
2009-09-02, 11:57 PM
Riddle me this:

Is unearthed arcana allowed, as it is OGL and in the SRD?

BobVosh
2009-09-03, 12:03 AM
Riddle me this:

Is unearthed arcana allowed, as it is OGL and in the SRD?

Core != SRD
Core is typically DMG, PHB, and MM1.

Draz74
2009-09-03, 12:08 AM
Core != SRD
Core is typically DMG, PHB, and MM1.

It's still a logical question to ask for clarification, especially considering Gestalt rules are from Unearthed Arcana. :smalltongue:

Anyway ... Barbarian//Bard is a pretty awesome combination, if you happened to roll your stats and rolled really high.

Fighter//Rogue, in spite of the bad Will save, is actually pretty decent in a Core-only environment.

Cleric//Druid ... no wait, never mind, don't even go there. :smallwink:

Sorcerer//Paladin is a fun Gish.

Other than that, I like Fax's suggestions.

quick_comment
2009-09-03, 12:17 AM
Monk 1/Druid 14/Heirophant 5/Cleric 20.

You apply the hierophant levels to your cleric casting, selecting spell power each time. Between that and a bead of karma, you have a caster level of 29. This is enough to paralyze blind and deafen characters of your level, and kill characters one level lower than you.

The monk level gives you unarmed strike and wisdom to AC. The druid gives you an animal companion to buff, more wis based casting and wild shape.

For domains, choose luck and an alignment. Good/any alignment means you can kill nongood (or whatever) characters of your level with a holy word (or dictum/whatever)

This is assuming you know the game will devolve into PvP, and you want to squash everyone else.

Guancyto
2009-09-03, 12:22 AM
You could go Barbarian/Rogue and be Conan.

Bard/Paladin also works well if you have the Paladin variants from UA, or if your DM is easy about alignment restrictions.

quick_comment
2009-09-03, 12:24 AM
For fun, I would go Sorcerer 15/Archmage 5/Fighter 1/Rogue 19. Choose stealth spells and go to town.

Draz74
2009-09-03, 12:46 AM
Bard/Paladin also works well if you have the Paladin variants from UA, or if your DM is easy about alignment restrictions.

Or if you can take the Devoted Performer feat. However, in Gestalt, it won't do anything except fix the alignment problem, which is lame.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-03, 01:37 AM
I second rogue//wizard. You get the skills, and tack large amounts of sneak attack damage onto your touch attack spells.

SoD
2009-09-03, 02:13 AM
Well the issue Im having is that I am about to start in a campain that runs Gestalt characters and I cant decide what to pick for classes. the campain will start from 1st level to hopefully 20 and its a big party (like 10 people) so it will probably degrade to PvP with aliances and backstabbing so it would help if it was "self sufficient" or more accuratly incredibly optimized. The only restriction is that it has to be all core at creation but later he might allow feats and spells from outside core. Oh and I cant multiclass or Prestige class ( I know it sucks)
Thank you in advance for the suggestions.

Excuse me? I'm sorry, geltalt, even restriced to core, sucking? Does not compute, my friend.

My advice? If your stats are nice enough, go Paladin/Monk. You get your charisma to saves, you get evasion, all good saves, what's not to like?

Play an elf. Ask if you can take the elven substitution level where you can't smite normally, but can smite with a longbow or shortbow. You now no longer need strength. Which leaves us with less stats needed.

Take Zen Archery from Complete Warrior, you now no longer need your dexterity for ranged attacks, but use wisdom instead. And as we're already getting our wisdom to our AC...all good so far. So now we want...well...wisdom, and charisma.

Basically your stats should look like this; wisdom>charisma>strength/dexterity/constitution with whatever whereever you want>intelligence.

Modify to taste, and you're only using two different things from outside core; Elven Paladin Substution Level from Races of the Wild, and Zen Archery from Complete Warrior.

This is SoD, signing out.

Kilmrak
2009-09-03, 07:21 AM
Thank you for all the responses and all the idea's you guys gave me are really helpfull. I really like the Rogue//Wizard or the Druid//Rogue they seem to be most usefull for what the campain will be.
Thank you