PDA

View Full Version : HBO's A Game of Thrones

pita
2009-09-03, 08:12 AM
This is the discussion thread for HBO's A Game of Thrones TV show, based on the book of the same name in A Song of Ice and Fire. As of the moment of this posting it hasn't been filmed yet and they are still casting, and expectations are that it will be filmed at the end of October.
Here are interesting links that may aid the discussion:
Includes a list of all who have been cast. (http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/search/label/Casting)
George R.R. Martin's blog, which he updates occasionally to give us a hint about actors, his opinion about them, or tell us that there's no ADWD. (http://grrm.livejournal.com/)
A website with funny quotes that has nothing to do with the subject (http://bash.org/?random1)

Cyrion
2009-09-03, 08:43 AM
This could be very cool if they do a good job. The cast they've put together so far makes it look like they're serious about it.

valadil
2009-09-03, 08:47 AM
I have two thoughts on this matter. If the show does not get accepted, I at least want to see the pilot for myself, just to see why it failed. If this does get accepted, how the hell will GRRM have free time to finish book 5?

bosssmiley
2009-09-03, 10:02 AM
*facepalm, headdesk*

Why, oh why, oh why are HBO trying to adapt for television a series of novels that isn't even completed yet (and at this rate may never be)? Are they high? :smallmad:

Muppets version of Song of Delays and Fail (http://grrrm.livejournal.com/). Now that I might watch... :smallamused:

warty goblin
2009-09-03, 10:20 AM
The only way I can keep from twitching and quivering violently with anticipation for this is by not thinking about it at all nosiree not even a little bit. That seems to *twitch* have worked so *quiver* far *twitch*, um, this isn't good...*spasm*

If I end up in a mental institution for this, I'm blaming you. I had my symptoms under control until now you know.

pita
2009-09-03, 10:53 AM
The only way I can keep from twitching and quivering violently with anticipation for this is by not thinking about it at all nosiree not even a little bit. That seems to *twitch* have worked so *quiver* far *twitch*, um, this isn't good...*spasm*

If I end up in a mental institution for this, I'm blaming you. I had my symptoms under control until now you know.
Heh.
I'm putting you in the institute. (http://otter.covblogs.com/archives/2009/02/a-game-of-thrones-pilot-script-leaked.html)

Dienekes
2009-09-03, 01:08 PM
Heh.
I'm putting you in the institute. (http://otter.covblogs.com/archives/2009/02/a-game-of-thrones-pilot-script-leaked.html)

Already read it.

Decent script. The meeting of Tyrion and Jaime was spot on. The meeting of Ned and Jaime was disappointing. And I'm disappointed that some of the signature lines didn't make it in. "All dwarfs are bastards but not all bastards need be dwarfs." Honestly, the scene was set for it and everything. It's one of the earliest examples of how awesome Tyrion is and his relationship with his family.

Also Jon's crying and running out bit felt more forced in this one than in the book. Possibly because there was no mention of siring bastards.

pita
2009-09-03, 01:29 PM
Also Jon's crying and running out bit felt more forced in this one than in the book. Possibly because there was no mention of siring bastards.

I felt that it made him a more mature character. He isn't crying and running out, if you read the script. He gets up, a bit annoyed with his uncle, stumbles a bit on account of the alcohol, and lands on a serving lady. He's embarrassed, the entire hall is laughing at him, he runs out.

Dienekes
2009-09-03, 01:55 PM
I felt that it made him a more mature character. He isn't crying and running out, if you read the script. He gets up, a bit annoyed with his uncle, stumbles a bit on account of the alcohol, and lands on a serving lady. He's embarrassed, the entire hall is laughing at him, he runs out.

Not really. The crying isn't the point. And running out because people laughed on you will never be mature.

However, "Dipped your wick." was a poor substitution to siring bastards. The earlier line and reaction showed Jon's distaste at being a bastard and all connotations.

As it reads now, Benjen tells him to have sex. Jon gets angry because apparently he doesn't want to have sex, knocks over a girl and runs away.

The drunken outburst approach showed a valuable aspect of his personality that is lost. Making his Ygritte moments loose a bit later.

SurlySeraph
2009-09-03, 02:00 PM
*facepalm, headdesk*

Why, oh why, oh why are HBO trying to adapt for television a series of novels that isn't even completed yet (and at this rate may never be)? Are they high? :smallmad:

Muppets version of Song of Delays and Fail (http://grrrm.livejournal.com/). Now that I might watch... :smallamused:

Because it will get a lot of viewers, and hence money.

FoE
2009-09-03, 02:17 PM
Let's be honest here: George R.R. Martin is never going to finish this series. So if we're waiting for the books to be written before they make a TV show, it'll never happen.

Dienekes
2009-09-03, 02:31 PM
Let's be honest here: George R.R. Martin is never going to finish this series. So if we're waiting for the books to be written before they make a TV show, it'll never happen.

Shush. Some of us still have hope. A terminally ill hope, that makes deep wheezing noises whenever you look too hardly at it, but hope none the less.

warty goblin
2009-09-03, 02:48 PM
Shush. Some of us still have hope. A terminally ill hope, that makes deep wheezing noises whenever you look too hardly at it, but hope none the less.

I took my hope out behind the woodshed and...well...it's in a better place now.

Nevermind hope though, we can do without that, and simply persist in waiting for another book. Whether or not we believe it'll actually come out is irrelevant, it's the fact that we waited that is relevant.

pita
2009-09-03, 03:16 PM

Let's put it this way: assuming he takes 5 years with each book, which was his limit so far, and with good reason for the last two. Assuming he sticks to 7 books, it means the series is finished when he's 70. A lot of people live until they're 70, and it's not like GRRM has a horrible condition. It's not a lot to hope for that the series will end.

FoE
2009-09-03, 04:38 PM
Yes, cling to your desperate hope ... :smallamused:

Innis Cabal
2009-09-03, 04:59 PM
Let's put it this way: assuming he takes 5 years with each book, which was his limit so far, and with good reason for the last two. Assuming he sticks to 7 books, it means the series is finished when he's 70. A lot of people live until they're 70, and it's not like GRRM has a horrible condition. It's not a lot to hope for that the series will end.

He is also out of shape, goes to Cons and in general isn't HEALTHY. Sure no condition, but the due isn't in his prime.

DomaDoma
2009-09-03, 08:07 PM
Yeah, you do realize you're using the phrases "hope" and "A Song of Ice and Fire" in the same mental sentence, right, guys? :p

That said, I've had a change of heart since my last post on the subject and definitely want to read that fifth book already. Mainly because Tyrion, Dany and Jon are going to be in it and they're the only three that I deem both decent and relatively effective.

Also, I definitely want the HBO series - at the very least, so that I can make a music video for it. (If I told you what song, you'd all do it, though.)

Cracklord
2009-09-03, 08:10 PM
I'd do it with 'Hail to the King'

tribble
2009-09-03, 08:17 PM
Yeah, you do realize you're using the phrases "hope" and "A Song of Ice and Fire" in the same mental sentence, right, guys? :p

That said, I've had a change of heart since my last post on the subject and definitely want to read that fifth book already. Mainly because Tyrion, Dany and Jon are going to be in it and they're the only three that I deem both decent and relatively effective.

Also, I definitely want the HBO series - at the very least, so that I can make a music video for it. (If I told you what song, you'd all do it, though.)

lemme guess- Caramelldansen or the SPARTA raw.

DomaDoma
2009-09-03, 08:24 PM
lemme guess- Caramelldansen or the SPARTA raw.

Hell no. If I'd actually posted at any point in the past six months, you'd know I'm very srsbsns.

Also, if I understand how you kids and your memes work, it's best if I don't use actual footage for Caramelldansen, yes?

warty goblin
2009-09-03, 08:25 PM

Really people, it's obvious. The first track of the Witcher OST: Dusk of a Northern Kingdom.

That is all.

Helanna
2009-09-03, 10:03 PM
He is also out of shape, goes to Cons and in general isn't HEALTHY. Sure no condition, but the due isn't in his prime.

NO! I will NOT have ANOTHER author die before he finishes his overly-long epic fantasy series that has been subject to too many delays! This has happened to me too many times already! Actually only once, when Robert Jordan died. But that's still too many!

Anyway, I'm a pretty recent fan so I haven't had to wait for any of the books yet, really. If they do this miniseries right (it's a slim hope, but it's still there!) it could be incredibly awesome, though. But if there's a miniseries it'll mean I actually have to get cable, won't it . . . hmmm.

Dienekes
2009-09-03, 10:11 PM
NO! I will NOT have ANOTHER author die before he finishes his overly-long epic fantasy series that has been subject to too many delays! This has happened to me too many times already! Actually only once, when Robert Jordan died. But that's still too many!

Anyway, I'm a pretty recent fan so I haven't had to wait for any of the books yet, really. If they do this miniseries right (it's a slim hope, but it's still there!) it could be incredibly awesome, though. But if there's a miniseries it'll mean I actually have to get cable, won't it . . . hmmm.

Difference is Jordan left notes so someone would finish when he's gone. Ole GRRM doesn't leave a scrap.

Maelstrom
2009-09-04, 05:35 AM
If this does get accepted, how the hell will GRRM have free time to finish book 5?

<--- This

I'm all for good shows, but I *REALLY* want to see how the series ends...

Cheesegear
2009-09-04, 05:52 AM
NO! I will NOT have ANOTHER author die before he finishes his overly-long epic fantasy series that has been subject to too many delays!

Well, Robert Jordon left a metric truckload of notes behind, and they've been passed into the hands of a solid writer. So, all's I have is good feelings for the end of tWoT.

However...That wont happen if it happens to GRRM...I'm guessing something along the lines of what happened to Dune (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/10/15/) (Caution: Language), is probably more likely for SoIaF.

pita
2009-09-04, 07:06 AM
I'm all for good shows, but I *REALLY* want to see how the series ends...

A non-issue. GRRM will write maybe one script a season. The scripts are based on things he's already written. The only other thing he has to do with the show is help with the casting, and write up riddles on his blog.

turkishproverb
2009-09-04, 08:59 AM
Interesting concept, but HBO is a llittle bit of an odd choice to air it..

WalkingTarget
2009-09-04, 09:10 AM
What makes them an odd choice? Given the level of violence/sex/etc in the books any non-premium channel doing a TV version of the story would have to censor it significantly. Look at shows like Rome, Deadwood, or Carnivāle.

For a long time I thought that an HBO-style miniseries would be the preferable venue for a live-action Watchmen, but that obviously didn't happen and probably won't now.

Fin
2009-09-04, 10:42 AM
For those of you that are worried about the time it is taking for the next few books, you shouldn't be concerned. Apparently this book is proving more diffficult than some of the others to write and as such is not a good indicator of how long and single book will take to write.

Beside lots of quality series need time. The first book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King was published 22 years before the seventh and there was only a significant time gap (6 years?) between two of them. The rest were written relatively quickly.

Soras Teva Gee
2009-09-04, 11:45 AM
Well, Robert Jordon left a metric truckload of notes behind, and they've been passed into the hands of a solid writer. So, all's I have is good feelings for the end of tWoT.

What does it say when a series who's author is already dead has a better publishing schedule then one where the author is alive?

Lord of the Helms
2009-09-04, 02:19 PM
What does it say when a series who's author is already dead has a better publishing schedule then one where the author is alive?

Damn you, evil Ninja Soras, and here I was gonna say something to the effect of Martin now writing slower than Robert Jordan. Who is dead. Ah well.

Anyway, I found the best solution was to move on to other series, stop thinking about it, and eventually buy it when it's out on paperback one day. I've only so much spare time, and right now Dresden Files is the only series that entetains me so well and has me so hooked that I always MUST HAVE ANY BOOK RIGHT NOW. Martin made it a lot easier with the last book, which didn't really entertain me all that well compared to the previous ones (those, I practically devoured) and went a long way towards making me care less for it.

That said, I'll be interested to see if the series turns out well. They'll have quite a bit of perpetual re-casting to do, that's for sure :smalltongue:

warty goblin
2009-09-04, 03:07 PM
Damn you, evil Ninja Soras, and here I was gonna say something to the effect of Martin now writing slower than Robert Jordan. Who is dead. Ah well.

Anyway, I found the best solution was to move on to other series, stop thinking about it, and eventually buy it when it's out on paperback one day. I've only so much spare time, and right now Dresden Files is the only series that entetains me so well and has me so hooked that I always MUST HAVE ANY BOOK RIGHT NOW. Martin made it a lot easier with the last book, which didn't really entertain me all that well compared to the previous ones (those, I practically devoured) and went a long way towards making me care less for it.

That said, I'll be interested to see if the series turns out well. They'll have quite a bit of perpetual re-casting to do, that's for sure :smalltongue:

My original reaction to A Feast For Crows was very much like yours seems to be- disappointment. It has, however, grown on me substantially since then. In some ways I think I prefer it to the third book now. It's nowhere near the quality of A Game of Thrones, but then, what is?

Jerthanis
2009-09-04, 03:08 PM
So I think the next generation of Epic Trolls are moving away from the internet and into Fantasy writing. You see, they start a book series and get millions hooked, and then die.

Dying out of a perverse spite and giving your life for a joke... It's the kind of thing that earns my respect at least.

My original reaction to A Feast For Crows was very much like yours seems to be- disappointment. It has, however, grown on me substantially since then. In some ways I think I prefer it to the third book now. It's nowhere near the quality of A Game of Thrones, but then, what is?

Storm of Swords is the only one I genuinely enjoyed. All the others were "Meh, it wasn't bad." Game of Thrones was too predictable and Clash of Kings just moved people around so they could do awesome stuff in Storm of Swords.

warty goblin
2009-09-04, 05:01 PM
Storm of Swords is the only one I genuinely enjoyed. All the others were "Meh, it wasn't bad." Game of Thrones was too predictable and Clash of Kings just moved people around so they could do awesome stuff in Storm of Swords.

Weirdly, I actually like books about moving from A to B. Keeps the atmosphere going, and makes the awesome and epic that much more awesome and epic.

Of course I also enjoy statistics...

Helanna
2009-09-04, 10:33 PM
Of course I also enjoy statistics...

Sorry, your opinion is now invalid :smalltongue:

So I think the next generation of Epic Trolls are moving away from the internet and into Fantasy writing. You see, they start a book series and get millions hooked, and then die.

Dying out of a perverse spite and giving your life for a joke... It's the kind of thing that earns my respect at least.

Hmmm. I do notice a similar feeling between "Damn, the trolls are out again" and "Damn, the author went and died before finishing the freakin' series!"

Of course, the latter had a lot more denial before it . . .

Also, due to this thread, all of my spare time in the next two months is going to be devoured by reading the series again, carefully and in-depth so as not to miss anything (I have a habit of totally missing plot points/forgetting major events/forgetting who/where everyone is, etc. during my first couple of readings.)

warty goblin
2009-09-04, 10:41 PM
Sorry, your opinion is now invalid :smalltongue:

I was afraid of that...really should have seen it coming given the 62.4543% chance of that outcome.

Also, due to this thread, all of my spare time in the next two months is going to be devoured by reading the series again, carefully and in-depth so as not to miss anything (I have a habit of totally missing plot points/forgetting major events/forgetting who/where everyone is, etc. during my first couple of readings.)
Yeah, I'm fairly certain some rereading is going to need to happen here as well. Tragically I only own book 1 and book 4, both of which are in my house-150 miles from my dorm- and in likely different boxes in a storage area. Wonder if the library has them.

Lord of the Helms
2009-09-05, 11:33 PM
I was afraid of that...really should have seen it coming given the 62.4543% chance of that outcome.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain some rereading is going to need to happen here as well. Tragically I only own book 1 and book 4, both of which are in my house-150 miles from my dorm- and in likely different boxes in a storage area. Wonder if the library has them.

Well, you still probably have about 1-2 years to look for it, unless a moderate miracle happens and Martin sticks to his supposed release date :smalltongue:

I'm maybe gonna reread Clash of Kings in Russian for practice purposes, since I found that version already, and it's the only one within 3000 km of me in the nearer future. Problem is, that's gonna be after I finish at the least The Fall of Hyperion, God-Emperor of Dune, and Princeps' Fury, with maybe a bit of Thomas Mann and Faust thrown in, so yah, it may take a while till I get there, seeing how I don't read nearly as much as I used to unless I'm on vacation.

pita
2009-09-06, 07:14 AM

I completely and utterly disagree, but I get the feeling we are not going to see eye to eye on this. However, I would like to ask what books you do like.

My absolute favorite was A Feast For Crows. It had excellent character development, a lot of my favorite characters, and while it lacked plot, it more than made up for it in my opinion. I've referred to it as "The Big Book of Character Development", because that's what happens there. Cersei loses what little grasp she had on reality. Jaime decides to atone for his sins. Arya attempts to reconcile her trying to make the best out of herself and keeping her Stark pride. Brienne tries desperately to uphold a code, despite what it may do to her. Sam has to overcome his fears. Sansa learns more about the fine art of LittleFinger Diplomacy (Not a euphemism for anything!). George R. R. Martin has matured even more with his writing, and he's excellent.
A Storm of Swords is my second favorite. In A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings we see characters being aligned into position, in A Storm of Swords we see what they do. Tyrion does his best with a situation that's slowly turning to crap in his hands. Sansa tries survivng Joffrey. And the entire kingdom descends into chaos as we see that weddings are necessarily BAD.
A Game of Thrones is my third favorite. This is the book that made me realize that not all fantasy protagonists need to be perfect people who are awesome and sexy besides, and that they need not survive until the end. Ned's death was a major shocker, having come right out of the fuzzy world of Wizard's First Rule and Eldest. Part of my objection to R+L=J is because it reminds me of those books, which also feature the protagonist finding out his parents are really super awesome and then he angsts about them.
A Clash of Kings was my least favorite of those. But saying it was my least favorite ASOIAF book is like saying that... I don't know, I was going to use an ice cream flavor here but I like them all too much to decide. I suck with metaphors. This book was great, but not up to the level of the others.
Additionally, I enjoyed The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword, both very different from ASOIAF but pretty good.
I like most of what GRRM wrote anyway. And he recently cut up the Mereenese Knot, which was hampering him with the book, so let's hope it works and we see a book by 4012!

Smiling Knight
2009-09-06, 08:10 PM
OT, but would you happen to be a pita of an enigmatic nature?

pita
2009-09-07, 01:33 AM
OT, but would you happen to be a pita of an enigmatic nature?

NO I'M NOT STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!
I'm not a Pita of an enigmatic nature, I am an enigma inside a Pita! Also a Harlen Coben book, coming to stores near you.

Flame of Anor
2009-09-07, 01:40 AM
*is on tenterhooks hoping it will be good*

*wonders what tenterhooks are*

Lord of the Helms
2009-09-14, 11:38 AM
He. Saw this one on Amazon Germany today. Is it worthy of rofling and lolling? I think yes. Finally, a realistic release date on one of the versions.

http://www.amazon.de/Dance-Dragons-Song-Ice-Fire/dp/0739375970/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books-intl-de&qid=1252946327&sr=8-4

"A Dance With Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire) von George R.R. Martin von Random House Audio (Audio CD - 31. Dezember 2035)"

:smalltongue:

warty goblin
2009-09-14, 12:00 PM
*is on tenterhooks hoping it will be good*

*wonders what tenterhooks are*

I think the term is actually tenderhooks, which I believe refers to the large hooks one would hang meat on until it was tender. Don't quote me on that though, as I don't really know.

thorgrim29
2009-09-14, 12:47 PM
Just saw the casting.... please tell me they made a mistake somewhere and Sophie turner, a 40 year old actress, is cast as Cat and not Sensa.

pita
2009-09-14, 12:58 PM
Just saw the casting.... please tell me they made a mistake somewhere and Sophie turner, a 40 year old actress, is cast as Cat and not Sensa.

Heh. A common mistake.
Sophie Turner is a 40 year old actress known for her role in Doctor Who.
Sophie Terner is a 15 year old actress with no known roles who is taking a break from school to join this series.
Jennifer Ehle is a 40 year old actress known for her role in Possession who is joining this series as Catelyn.
But it's funny, isn't it.

thorgrim29
2009-09-14, 01:25 PM
Thank god. Also, 15? I know they shifted the ages for the characters a bit, but Sensa's character is pretty much that she's a stupidly romantic little girl in the first book, and her getting menstruated is a pretty important plot point in book 2 or 3 if i remember correctly. So unless the actress looks way younger then her age it's going to be a bit odd, not to mention the weird episode when the 17 year old actress is terrified because she's getting her period.... ( I know, it happens, but it's pretty damn rare, especially among girls who eat enough and do not exercise like crazy).

pita
2009-09-14, 01:27 PM
Thank god. Also, 15? I know they shifted the ages for the characters a bit, but Sensa's character is pretty much that she's a stupidly romantic little girl in the first book, and her getting menstruated is a pretty important plot point in book 2 or 3 if i remember correctly. So unless the actress looks way younger then her age it's going to be a bit odd, not to mention the weird episode when the 17 year old actress is terrified because she's getting her period.... ( I know, it happens, but it's pretty damn rare, especially among girls who eat enough and do not exercise like crazy).

I think she's 15. She also looks a little younger, and all of the characters are aged up anyway.

warty goblin
2009-09-14, 01:38 PM

Do keep in mind that it's fairly established that the age of menarchy has been moving younger and younger in industrial societies for some time now. In a pre-industrial society ala Westeros with minimal health care and the malnourishment sure to set in over even a short winter, late menarchy isn't that surprising.

Of course then there's all those six foot two guys with muscles like tree trunks...

thorgrim29
2009-09-14, 01:53 PM
Do keep in mind that it's fairly established that the age of menarchy has been moving younger and younger in industrial societies for some time now. In a pre-industrial society ala Westeros with minimal health care and the malnourishment sure to set in over even a short winter, late menarchy isn't that surprising.

Of course then there's all those six foot two guys with muscles like tree trunks...

That might well be true for a peasant girl, but we're talking about a member of one of the richest families in the land here, I don't think starvation is an issue, same reason we get 6"2 guys shaped like Cristopher Judge (actually, the guy would be awesome as one of the unsullied officers if they ever get that far)

Flame of Anor
2009-09-14, 02:26 PM

Remember that Sansa has never experienced winter. Also, it's spelled "menarche", I'm pretty sure.

Closet_Skeleton
2009-09-15, 09:23 AM
Remember that Sansa has never experienced winter. Also, it's spelled "menarche", I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, menarchy would be some kind of very odd matriarchy varient.

warty goblin
2009-09-15, 09:39 AM
Yeah, menarchy would be some kind of very odd matriarchy varient.

Personally, I'm totally there when it comes to varient matriarchy.