PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorm Thread: Regenerator

Lysander
2009-09-03, 08:41 AM
Please let me know if there's already a class like this. If not, what I'm basically trying to create is Wolverine.

Not the claw part. The fast healing. I want a character that has an insane number of hitpoints, a supernaturally high bonus to constitution and fortitude checks, and whose wounds heal in minutes. The purpose of the class would be the party risk taker. The rogue can't de-trap a chest? This guy opens it. 100 lower level soldiers charging in? This guy holds them off while the rest of the team completes the mission. Making an escape from a high window? This guy jumps out, then pushes a cart of hay beneath the window for everyone else.

The downside is that they wouldn't be much of a warrior compared to people of equal level. A fighter of equal level could probably kill them with almost no injury (although it would take a really long time to deal enough damage to put down the Regenerator). But they could handle a vast number of weaker foes pretty much forever, and laugh off injuries and spells that would fell a barbarian. It goes without saying you'd usually play them as a cocky bastard.

In addition to class abilities that boost hp and saves, grant damage reduction/energy resistance, and regeneration they could have abilities that make it easy for them to leap in front of teammates and take the force of attacks and spells.

Martial abilities would probably be given through a selection of fighter bonus feats, but given out at fewer levels than a fighter gets.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Hijax
2009-09-03, 08:57 AM
kinda like it. bear in mind, however, that regeneration is a pretty damn powerful ability. it basically makes you impossible to kill by anything that can't pierce the regeneration, meaning you'd have to choose something everybody have avaible in order to avoid imbalance.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-03, 08:59 AM
I don't know of a single class that does this, but it's possible to do it if you bring races and templates into it; I had a player in my last campaign who built a super-regenerator almost without realizing it (and then took Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws) to get the claws and complete the image. :smallbiggrin:)

If templates aren't your thing, a multiclass of Totemist, Suvivor, and a full caster comes closest to doing what you want. You can get regeneration and fast healing through soulmelds and spells, and Survivor gets you Improved Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge, and DR 5/-- in 5 levels. If you make him a goliath rogue as well, you can get Mettle and Improved Mettle (for Fortitude only, though).

Hijax
2009-09-03, 09:06 AM
i think he was wanting to create a class, not a character. hence, the homebrew forum.

damn, now i have to create this character.

Lysander
2009-09-03, 09:17 AM
kinda like it. bear in mind, however, that regeneration is a pretty damn powerful ability. it basically makes you impossible to kill by anything that can't pierce the regeneration, meaning you'd have to choose something everybody have avaible in order to avoid imbalance.

They could still be killed, you'd just have to deal enough damage to them before they heal. It wouldn't be a like a werewolf that requires silver to be put down. The only difficulty is that they'd tons of hitpoints and regain them continuously.

Hijax
2009-09-03, 09:44 AM
that sounds like fast healing.

Zeta Kai
2009-09-03, 11:09 AM
Regenerator (d12 HD)
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|Fast Healing 1
2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|Fast Healing 2, DR 1/--
3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|Fast Healing 3, Energy Resistance 1
4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Fast Healing 4, DR 2/--
5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|Fast Healing 5, Energy Resistance 2
6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|Fast Healing 6, DR 3/--
7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|Fast Healing 7, Energy Resistance 3
8th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+2|Fast Healing 8, DR 4/--
9th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+3|Fast Healing 9, Energy Resistance 4
10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|Fast Healing 10, DR 5/--
11th|+8/+3|+7|+7|+3|Fast Healing 11, Energy Resistance 5
12th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Fast Healing 12, DR 6/--
13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Fast Healing 13, Energy Resistance 6
14th|+10/+5|+9|+9|+4|Fast Healing 14, DR 7/--
15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+9|+5|Fast Healing 15, Energy Resistance 7
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Fast Healing 16, DR 8/--
17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Fast Healing 17, Energy Resistance 8
18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Fast Healing 18, DR 9/--
19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Fast Healing 19, Energy Resistance 10
20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Fast Healing 20, DR 10/--[/table]

This'll get you started. Discuss.

Lysander
2009-09-03, 11:33 AM
So at level 20 he'd regain 20hp each time his turn starts?

Hijax
2009-09-03, 11:36 AM
the class seems a bit weak to me. all you get is the ability to ignore level/2 damage per round, and heal level per round. no class features beyond this means you kinda blow. at low levels, you dont have anything else, and at high levels, damage is not what's going to kill you.

arguskos
2009-09-03, 11:36 AM
Yeah, that's how Fast Healing works.

Hmm. I like it, to start with anyways. It's pretty interesting looking Zeta. Now, the poor fellow needs something to DO in combat other than stand there and be ignored because he's not easily killable. :smallwink:

Perhaps some ability to draw enemy fire?

Zeta Kai
2009-09-03, 12:34 PM
Well, it's meant to just be a start. If I were to right it out properly, the FH, DR, & ER would be condensed down to one class feature each that grew at set intervals. That leaves a lot of dead levels for Con boosts, saving throw bonuses, bonus feats (Endurance/Die Hard anyone?), & class features that build aggro, defend against more obscure means of dying (like drowning/starving/suffocating/massive damage/positive energy popping/etc.), & other immunities. Yes, by itself, that table is a weaksauce class. But it's just supposed to be the quick-&-dirty framework, upon which others can build. Enjoy.

Lysander
2009-09-03, 12:47 PM
There could be abilities that let you jump in front of allies to block spells and arrows. Maybe bonuses to grappling so he can try restraining enemies? Bull rushing so he can push bad guys away from his allies?

dyslexicfaser
2009-09-03, 11:44 PM
Or have him cannibalize the Knight for Knight's Challenge.

DracoDei
2009-09-04, 12:23 AM
THIS/THESE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113722) feat(s) I invented might be good class features...

And THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94836) might be good since they would tend to end up surrounded a lot.

EDIT: Go ahead and give them Regeneration "0/Fire or Acid" at higher levels?

What about save bonuses vs death from massive damage, and maybe even Coup de Grace?

Lysander
2009-09-04, 09:48 AM
Perhaps the answer to coup de grace is that at a certain level (maybe 15?) they should become immune to critical hits.

I also think at some point they should get slow regeneration, that lets them regrow limbs but perhaps over the course of a few days. Or if they hold a severed limb back in place it can heal in minutes.

The blocker feat is a good idea. Obviously this is not a damage dealing class, so all its feat should be about making it hard for enemies to focus on your allies.

Hijax
2009-09-05, 12:18 AM
Perhaps the answer to coup de grace is that at a certain level (maybe 15?) they should become immune to critical hits.

I also think at some point they should get slow regeneration, that lets them regrow limbs but perhaps over the course of a few days. Or if they hold a severed limb back in place it can heal in minutes.

The blocker feat is a good idea. Obviously this is not a damage dealing class, so all its feat should be about making it hard for enemies to focus on your allies.

the problem is, when you have regeneration, you're effectively invulnerable to everything but the energy type that can hurt you.

boomwolf
2009-09-05, 07:29 AM
Made a class to me a nigh-unkillable fighter. (magic still makes him cry)

Look "Immortal" in my sig. quite a handy guy. although focuses on being a heavy, if you get the proficiencies you can make him a swashbuckler type too. (1 level of fighter is ok, free feat and all needed proficiencies)

Forevernade
2009-09-05, 07:33 AM
Maybe you could make it an Alternate Monk class progression.

eg, after req Monk 1, it progresses like a base class.

After meditating on the destruction that other Monks of their order caused, accidentally or on purpose due to a failing in morality, the Sin Hai order was born. It taught the ways of healing of the spirit and perfection of the body in non-martial ways. Knowing that avoiding combat is simply an idea lacking in wisdom, they taught themselves the abilities that would allow them to stride into the midst of violence and destruction, and emerge alive. They are also understand the importance of first aid and manuverability though unknown terrains. They use the power of the spirit to regenerate their bodies.

AC bonus as monk, speed increase as monk.
1: bonus feat, regeneration 1 (weakness everything)
2: bonus feat, evasion, regeneration immunity +1
3: still mind, regeneration 4
4: slow fall 30ft, regeneration 5
5: purity of body, regeneration 7
6: bonus feat, slowfall 50ft, regeneration immunity +1
7: Wholeness of body, regeneration 10
8: Slowfall 70ft, regeneration 11
9: Improved Evasion, Adroit Maneuverability 5ft, regeneration 13
10: Slow fall 90ft, regeneration immunity +1
11: Adroit Maneuverability 10ft, Diamond Body, regeneration 16
12: Slow fall any distance, Abundant Step, regeneration 17
13: Adroit Maneuverability 15ft, Diamond Soul, regeneration 19
14: regeneration immunity +1
15: regeneration 20
17: Adroit Maneuverability 20ft, Timeless body, Tounge of the sun and the moon, regeneration 22
18: regeneration immunity +1
19: Adroit maneuverability 25ft, Empty Body, regeneration 25
20: Perfect Self, Regeneration immunity +1

Delete all the flurry and hand as 'special' weapons, replace with fast healing.
Slow fall increases faster, and later turns into a Parkour style idea, where you get Woodland Stride called Adroit Maneuverability which allows you to apply it to any terrain up to a certain height eg

Alternatively they can level in Regeneration starting with all weaknesses, and every 4 levels they pick an energy type to be 'immune' to (aka take non-lethal damage)

Bonus feats

Confront Anger:
A Sin Hai Monk may use Diplomacy checks in combat at -4

Diplomatic:
+2 Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive

Never an Enemy
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
He has learned to tune his spirit with the enemies he is facing. The ascendence of his soul increases his ability to repair his body, but through this bond it strengthens the enemy too. The enemy gains regeneration equal to half the monk's base regeneration. The monk's regeneration doubles. This link lasts for d4 +Wismod rounds.

a few more? cant think of any atm, you get the gist

Jallorn
2009-09-05, 07:51 AM
What about a class that grants a few permanent Con boosts, and high powered,time based (like a barbarian's rage) healing or DR boosts?

Forevernade
2009-09-05, 08:05 AM
What about a class that grants a few permanent Con boosts, and high powered,time based (like a barbarian's rage) healing or DR boosts?

I like the idea of a time based regen and DR.

Also you could have an evil-only class version which uses Vampiric Touch type spell, stealing HP from creatures many times a day (improving per level)

Im thinking, though that this kind of build, unless a supernatural prestige class, is more suited to racial progression or template.

Asheram
2009-09-05, 08:20 AM
Note that this is somewhat of pulling a fast one. But when a Changeling reaches bab+4, he is by RAW allowed to enter the Warshaper class from Complete Warrior.
The first level makes you able to morph natural weapons.
The fourth gives Fast healing 2 and ability to heal 10hp as a full round action if it passes DC (total damage taken)

It's not really the class you were looking for, but It can be padded.

Rainbownaga
2009-09-06, 06:48 AM
Note that this is somewhat of pulling a fast one. But when a Changeling reaches bab+4, he is by RAW allowed to enter the Warshaper class from Complete Warrior.
The first level makes you able to morph natural weapons.
The fourth gives Fast healing 2 and ability to heal 10hp as a full round action if it passes DC (total damage taken)

It's not really the class you were looking for, but It can be padded.

Alternatively you can do the same thing with a shifter, but it's time-based since the powers only kick in when you're shifted.

Maybe these can be a starting point.

Lysander
2009-09-06, 08:05 AM
Making it a limited use ability makes a lot of sense I think. It allows me to take the barbarian class and just replace rage with healing. Instead of Trap Sense maybe they can have an ability that allows them to instantly regain most or all of the hitpoint loss caused by traps.