PDA

View Full Version : 3.X Items of Flying

Deth Muncher
2009-09-03, 10:35 AM
So, what items are there that grant the ability to fly? I mean, sure, you can pay Bob the Adept to cast Fly on you, but I mean, what can you get to give you the ability to do it at will (or at least a few times per day).

Also, page numbers would be appreciated.

Items are not limited to armor enchants/boots/capes/etc. I'd like to know if there's any artifacts out there that do it too.

kamikasei
2009-09-03, 10:42 AM
Wings of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#wingsofFlying), Winged Boots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsWinged), Carpet of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying), Broom of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#broomofFlying).

Mongoose87
2009-09-03, 10:44 AM
Celestial Armor. It's got a high Max Dex, too.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 11:09 AM
Dragonborn gives you wings!!!!![/shameless Red Bull joke]

Shape Soulmeld (Airstep Sandals) gets you a Fly speed of 10ft+10ft/essentia, but you have to land after every turn. A 2-level dip into Incarnate and the Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat+an Incarnum Focus for your Boots slot gets you a total Fly speed of 50ft/Move action at 6th level.

The Manticore Belt's Waist Chakra bind offers the fastest Fly speed possible (170ft for 7 minutes/day, 90ft the rest of the time), but it requires a heavy investment into Totemist.

There's a stance in the Shadow Hand style that grants an SU version of Air Walk constantly. A 2 level dip into Swordsage may be able to get that stance at the higher levels.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-03, 11:18 AM
Raptorians, Avariel (winged elves), and Winged Template gives you flight.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-03, 11:26 AM
Dragonborn gives you wings!!!!![/shameless Red Bull joke]

*facepalm*

Anyway, all of these are awesome. Especially the Manticore Belt. That's kind of excessively amazing.

Anyway, the reason I was asking for items as opposed to races/class options (although I do love Raptorans/Avariel, and as stated earlier, Manticore Belt is tres shweet), is because I think I'm going to have a vendor in an upcoming campaign (which is actually going to happen! Yeah college having nerds!) who's obsessed with flight. The campaign will likely not be high magitek, so no gyrocopters, so having a plethora of flyable items in his cache would be neat.

Doc Roc
2009-09-03, 12:28 PM
Wing Grafts, Fiend Folio, in the back. 10k for a fly speed of double your landspeed.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 12:35 PM
*facepalm*

Anyway, all of these are awesome. Especially the Manticore Belt. That's kind of excessively amazing.

Anyway, the reason I was asking for items as opposed to races/class options (although I do love Raptorans/Avariel, and as stated earlier, Manticore Belt is tres shweet), is because I think I'm going to have a vendor in an upcoming campaign (which is actually going to happen! Yeah college having nerds!) who's obsessed with flight. The campaign will likely not be high magitek, so no gyrocopters, so having a plethora of flyable items in his cache would be neat.

The best part about the Manticore Belt is it gives you 16 ranged attacks for those 7 minutes, and Flyby Attack. Those attacks can be used on Flyby Attack. They don't deal much damage (1d6+1/2Str per hit), but it still kicks ass.

herrhauptmann
2009-09-03, 09:12 PM
There's a shield of flying in the DMG as well.

quick_comment
2009-09-03, 09:16 PM
You can get a wand (scepter really, but its the same thing) of overland flight.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 09:19 PM
You can get a wand (scepter really, but its the same thing) of overland flight.

5th level spell, can't be put into a Wand. A staff, yes, but that is massively overpriced.

Keld Denar
2009-09-03, 09:21 PM
Cloak of the Phoenix, MIC, dunno the page number off the top of my head, but its in the back with the magic item sets. Gives you flight = base land speed for 50,000g even. 4k cheaper than Wings of Flying, and situationally better if you have fast movement or other base speed enhancer.

quick_comment
2009-09-03, 09:34 PM
5th level spell, can't be put into a Wand. A staff, yes, but that is massively overpriced.

Scepters (in Lost Empires of Faerun) are mechanically identical to wands, but allow up to 7th level spells.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 09:38 PM
Scepters (in Lost Empires of Faerun) are mechanically identical to wands, but allow up to 7th level spells.

Please tell me they at least restricted it to spells that don't have XP costs... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/limitedwish.htm)

quick_comment
2009-09-03, 09:41 PM
No, they dont. Also, they can contain 2 spells. A septer with 2 spells uses two charges for a spell above level 4.

A scepter of limited wish is sort of pricy though - it costs 143250 gp.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 09:44 PM
No, they dont. Also, they can contain 2 spells. A septer with 2 spells uses two charges for a spell above level 4.

A scepter of limited wish is sort of pricy though - it costs 143250 gp.

Cheaper than the At Will version, if my math is right.

quick_comment
2009-09-03, 09:45 PM
Its roughly half the price of the at will version, if my math is right.

Gorbash
2009-09-04, 05:49 AM
Hawkfeather Armor from Races of the Wild (p. 172) - 10 Rounds per day, free action activation (the best part), 60 ft (good).

Grumman
2009-09-04, 05:59 AM
Wings of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#wingsofFlying), Winged Boots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsWinged), Carpet of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#carpetofFlying), Broom of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#broomofFlying).
Don't forget the Fly of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ebonyFly).

Killer Angel
2009-09-04, 06:06 AM
Don't forget the Fly of Flying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#ebonyFly).

If we're talking 'bout the figurines of wondrous power, there's also the obsidian steed.

Anyway, in the DMG there's also the Cloack of the bat, but it works only in darkness.

Chrono22
2009-09-04, 06:07 AM
A bicycle with a permanent levitate effect upon it. Add a way to switch gears so that the pedals power the propellers and wings.

Fizban
2009-09-04, 09:04 AM
I've always been partial to the Flight of the Dragon spell in some form. Average maneuverability with 100' of speed beats most other forms if you've got the room to use it. A 1/day item would let you fly for about an hour cheaper than the winged boots, at the cost of only getting the one activation. For any flight item I'd suggest trying to have it split up the duration between uses, like the Boots of Speed. The prices are the same as the duration of a uses per day item, but being able to split it up is much better. This method is usually only used for round or minute durations so you'd have to base it on normal Fly.

Phantom steed is another classic, but you need CL 12 to actually get flight, which is way to pricey to make into an item. A 1/day item of Wind Walk lets 4 people fly at 60mph for 12 hours in gaseous form and can be turned off and saved for later, all for the low low price of 26,000gp. If you want flight for travel purposes, Wind Walk is the spell to get. Otherwise I'd get something with a duration you can split up as you like, or maybe a Cloak of the Bat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakoftheBat), which can be used at will with a cool down time (and only in darkness).

Cieyrin
2009-09-04, 12:21 PM
If we're talking 'bout the figurines of wondrous power, there's also the obsidian steed.

Anyway, in the DMG there's also the Cloack of the bat, but it works only in darkness.

And the Bronze Griffons, too.

ericgrau
2009-09-04, 12:26 PM
You can also buy real griffons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/griffon.htm) and other flying creatures to ride. It seems to me that the only reason all PCs don't get at least some kind of mount is fear of the mounted combat rules. Even with no feats its almost all positive, the basic uses don't require any skills or feats (plus some niceties are an untrained DC 5 ride check). The worst thing that can happen is it might die and then you're right where you'd be without one anyway. Well, with flying mounts losing one is worse, but they're also tougher and have more benefits.

Eldariel
2009-09-04, 01:43 PM
You can also buy real griffons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/griffon.htm) and other flying creatures to ride. It seems to me that the only reason all PCs don't get at least some kind of mount is fear of the mounted combat rules. Even with no feats its almost all positive, the basic uses don't require any skills or feats (plus some niceties are an untrained DC 5 ride check). The worst thing that can happen is it might die and then you're right where you'd be without one anyway. Well, with flying mounts losing one is worse, but they're also tougher and have more benefits.

You're losing wealth each time one dies though, which is annoying. Much depends on how many area effect spells you face though. Few mounts have the Reflex-save or HP to survive a Dragon's breath for example.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-04, 02:11 PM
You're losing wealth each time one dies though, which is annoying. Much depends on how many area effect spells you face though. Few mounts have the Reflex-save or HP to survive a Dragon's breath for example.

Unless you're already RIDING a dragon, duh.

Eldariel
2009-09-04, 02:15 PM
Unless you're already RIDING a dragon, duh.

But boy, now THAT gets expensive for other reasons. 1000gp per HD and a feat...

Deth Muncher
2009-09-07, 04:20 PM
Hey, so quick homebrewish question on this note. Would it be out of place to make a Lesser and Greater version of the Broom of Flying? And perhaps an Artifact version, granting unlimited flight? I ask only because the group I'm gaming with...well, to put it quite simply, they're on the Quidditch Team at the college I'm at, so I feel they'd likely appreciate brooms, and would also likely go through the trouble of finding better ones if they wanted to.

EDIT: For lulz, and because they'd get the reference, instead of Lesser/Regular/Greater, I'll likely do Comet/Nimbus/Firebolt.

Gorbash
2009-09-07, 05:10 PM
I ask only because the group I'm gaming with...well, to put it quite simply, they're on the Quidditch Team at the college I'm at

I'm sure I've read this wrong - they're on Quidditch team? What do they do, run around with a broom between their legs? :smallbiggrin:

Deth Muncher
2009-09-07, 06:18 PM
I'm sure I've read this wrong - they're on Quidditch team? What do they do, run around with a broom between their legs? :smallbiggrin:

You're actually right. :P There's a website with the official Muggle version of Quidditch rules somewhere, but the basic gist is that you recreate the goal via hula hoops & pvc pipe, the Bludgers are replaced with dodgeballs, and yes, everyone runs around with a broom 'twixt their legs. It's a lot more hardcore than it sounds, believe it or not. I've played it twice. The first time, my glasses nearly got broken from a dodgeball 2 da phace, and this last time, I got my revenge.

It's like soccer, basketball and dodgeball all mixed into one. Kicked my ass. :P

Fizban
2009-09-07, 07:14 PM
I've amended my earlier post with the proper name of the spell Flight of the Dragon in case anyone couldn't find the fictitious version.

I'd also recommend adding a x/day Wings of Swift Flying spell added to any x/day flight item. It's cheap and gives +30' to your temporary flight speed, which is a huge advantage.

Gorbash
2009-09-08, 04:17 AM
everyone runs around with a broom 'twixt their legs. It's a lot more hardcore than it sounds

What better way to start a day than with a real LOL? :smallbiggrin:

Adumbration
2009-09-08, 10:39 AM
There's also the Ring of Solar wings in Book of Exalted Deeds. I'm away from my books, so I can't tell you the page, but it gives 150 ft move speed. It's expensive, but I practically never make a high level character without it.

Deth Muncher
2009-09-08, 11:13 AM
What better way to start a day than with a real LOL? :smallbiggrin:

XD

No, but really. It looks absolutely ridiculous, don't get me wrong, but it's really intense. I was playing as a Beater the other day - which, to clarify, means that instead of trying to score goals, I'm pegging people with dodgeballs. Well, as a Beater, you're allowed to wrestle a dodgeball from an opposing Beater...

And I got yelled at for ACTUALLY wrestling the dodgeball away. :P

ANYWAY, back to that whole on topic thing. So it looks like there's rings, brooms, rugs, enchanted statues, capes and boots to grant flying. I don't guess any of these stack, do they? I mean, the enchanted figurines wouldn't, but on the other items, if you could stack, say, the Boots of Flying with the Ring of Solar Wings or something to get a massive flightspeed...

Deepblue706
2009-09-08, 12:46 PM

While it's true Mounts can eventually be killed quite trivially, can you not ask a friendly Cleric to cast Raise Dead, and Restoration on a fallen mount, to prevent as heavy losses in wealth?

Nevermind, I forgot it's still rather expensive for a Raise.

Soras Teva Gee
2009-09-08, 01:06 PM
An Aasimar/Tiefling can take Celestial/Fiendish Bloodline and Outsider Wings for flight equal landspeed. This is in so help me Player's Guide to Faerun (or Race of... or both I can't remember off hand) but the problem is it has a base save requirement that demands you either dip as a Monk or wait until level 6.

Probably won't set off a DM's cheese detector and can't be stolen. If you do get a natural set of wings be sure to grab Air Heritage from the Planar Handbook, its +30 permanently. Also Improved Flight (seen a couple of places) works with any form of flight to improve your maneuverability.

Oh also Half-Celestial/Fiend templates if you've got the levels to pay the adjustment

only1doug
2009-09-08, 02:16 PM
Eternal wand of Fly 10,900 gp. fly spell 2/day CL 5 (5 mins)