PDA

View Full Version : If you had the powers of a 1st level Sorcerer....

Lysander
2009-09-03, 12:07 PM
Fate has decided to gift you, in the real world, with the magic of a level 1 sorcerer. Nobody else in the world has magic and you have no way of increasing your level and gaining more spells.

So you know 4 cantrips you can cast 5 times a day, and 2 level 1 spells you can cast 3 times per day. And you get a familiar. What do you pick?

My choice:
0 - Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Mending, Prestigitation
1 - Charm Person, Silent Image
Talking Raven sidekick

Hello indie film career. They'll never guess how I create my special effects.

Elfin
2009-09-03, 12:12 PM
Grease might be a good one.
Think of the fun at parties!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-03, 12:13 PM
1 - True Strike, Silent Image

Join the military as a sniper.

Grease might be a good one.
Think of the fun at parties!
And in bed!

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 12:17 PM
0: Amunisis (or whatever that cantrip is called, the one that writes things), Daze, Mage Hand, Detect Magic

1: Blockade, Grease

2: Glitterdust (because I abuse Precocious Apprentice :smalltongue:)

My familiar would be a rabbit. Or a mouse, don't know which.

rezplz
2009-09-03, 12:23 PM
0 - Mending (tired of my stuff getting broken :\)
Message (Freak people out ;D)
Light (Never need a flash light!)
Ghost sounds. (It'd be hilarious.)

1- Charm person. (Don't think I need to explain this one ;) )
Tenser's floating disk. (Make moving easy! ;D)

arguskos
2009-09-03, 12:25 PM
0 - Amananeuesis, Presdigitation, Light, Mage Hand
1 - True Strike, Master's Touch
2 - Eagle's Splendor (lol Precocious Apprentice)

With this, my life is easy. I can use True Strike+Master's Touch to automatically hit basically anything with anything. Splendor helps me land interviews, a movie role, whatever I need to get money in life. The cantrips let me have a good time off the screen/stage/whatever. :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 12:27 PM

Those, but for my 1st Level spells: Comprehend Languages, Endure Elements (I'd never need a sweater again!)

quick_comment
2009-09-03, 12:31 PM
1 - True Strike, Silent Image

Join the military as a sniper.

I would probably replace mage hand with no light.

Elfin
2009-09-03, 12:34 PM
Those, but for my 1st Level spells: Comprehend Languages [...]
You could definitely land a job as a translator with that one.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 12:37 PM
0 - Mending (tired of my stuff getting broken :\)
Message (Freak people out ;D)
Light (Never need a flash light!)
Ghost sounds. (It'd be hilarious.)

1- Charm person. (Don't think I need to explain this one ;) )
Tenser's floating disk. (Make moving easy! ;D)

Oh, wow. Can't believe I forgot about that! We could get a job repairing XBoxes with that!

Thespianus
2009-09-03, 12:38 PM
Some first level spells would be amazing:

Scholar's Touch: Read one touched book per round. WIN!
Identify: Never need a manual ever again! ;)
Sleep/Color Spray: It...well.. it would just be SO COOL!
Comprehend languages: Would make things easier.
Endure Elements: Beachwear - All. Year. Round.

Some would be weird:
Enlarge Person, Fist of Stone, Reduce Person, Mount, Summon Monster, Hail of Stone.

Some that would be useless:
Locate City: I got a magic item to do this (GPS)
Detect Magic: Uhm.. Ok, I'm the only magic source in the world. No fun.

Thespianus
2009-09-03, 12:39 PM
You could definitely land a job as a translator with that one.

But you could only work 30 minutes / day. ;)

The problem with being first level is that all the durations suck.

woodenbandman
2009-09-03, 12:44 PM
Animate Instrument - true 1 man band
Mending - Never break a string, get free stuff and fix it, etc.
Prestidigitation - party tricks to impress the chicks
Message - "Maybe you should sleep with him" directly into their mind.

Silent Image
Expeditious Retreat

I think those last 2 are fairly obvious.

I could get an amazing gig as a light/sound man for a band, and even play all the instruments. I'd be a goddamn rockstar.

EDIT: For precocious apprentice... Alter Self. for 10 minutes a day, I can fly, or just look REALLY COOL.

valadil
2009-09-03, 12:48 PM
My pizza would never want for grease again!

Seriously though, prestidigitation, light, mage hand, ghost sound, enlarge person, and comprehend languages.

Civil War Man
2009-09-03, 12:49 PM
Level 0: Mending, Prestidigitation, Open/Close, Touch of Fatigue

Level 1: Enlarge Person, Feather Fall

Some of these because they are useful, the rest for giggles.

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 12:50 PM
But you could only work 30 minutes / day. ;)

The problem with being first level is that all the durations suck.

Screw Vancian casting, I'd be using the Recharge Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/rechargeMagic.htm) system!

Temet Nosce
2009-09-03, 12:51 PM
Lets see...

0 - Amanuensis, Mending, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand

1 - Charm Person, Cheat (Yeah, I have a life as a professional gambler ahead)

2 - Chain of Eyes (I was tempted to take Entice Gift, but this will be more useful in gambling)

Edit: Nevermind I think I'd take Alter Self.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 12:55 PM
EDIT: For precocious apprentice... Alter Self. for 10 minutes a day, I can fly, or just look REALLY COOL.

I thought about that too, and then remembered that I'm afraid of heights and have a poor grasp of time. I'm not gonna risk flying around only to run out of time mid-air.

Jack Zander
2009-09-03, 01:03 PM
0-Level
Light (For the visibility)
Mage Hand (For the awesome)
Mending (For all my broken stuff)
Presto (For the lawls)
1st-Level
Feather Fall (For the fun of climbing up buildings and jumping off of them)
Unseen Servant (For chores)
Familiar
Toad (I like toads, and having +3 HP could be really awesome sometimes)

Lysander
2009-09-03, 01:04 PM
Some first level spells would be amazing:

Identify: Never need a manual ever again! ;)
Sleep/Color Spray: It...well.. it would just be SO COOL!
Comprehend languages: Would make things easier.
Endure Elements: Beachwear - All. Year. Round.

Some would be weird:
Enlarge Person, Fist of Stone, Reduce Person, Mount, Summon Monster, Hail of Stone.

Some that would be useless:
Locate City: I got a magic item to do this (GPS)
Detect Magic: Uhm.. Ok, I'm the only magic source in the world. No fun.

Man...taking both Comprehend Languages and Scholar's Touch would be a great combination. You'd be able to instantly read two books in a foreign language each day. I think I might actually prefer Scholar's Touch over Charm Person....I mean, there are non-magical ways to get people to like you. Reading any book instantaneously has very deep potential.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-03, 01:05 PM
0 - Mending, Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost

Should be pretty obvious, except for Ray of Frost. I'm sure being able to shoot ice from my fingers would be incredibly useful, especially in the summer.

1 - Feather Fall, Endure Elements

Feather Fall would be very helpful with my fear of heights, and Endure Elements makes the summers and winters much more bearable.

Rat familiar - I REALLY need better fortitude saves.

Ormur
2009-09-03, 01:06 PM
Prestidigitation, mending, mage hand and daze for cantrips. Unseen servant would be neat to have and disguise self. Comprehend languages would be really nice for my studies if only lasted longer.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 01:12 PM
Man...taking both Comprehend Languages and Scholar's Touch would be a great combination. You'd be able to instantly read two books in a foreign language each day. I think I might actually prefer Scholar's Touch over Charm Person....I mean, there are non-magical ways to get people to like you. Reading any book instantaneously has very deep potential.

Until you read something like Aspho Fields. Or anything by Karen Traviss, if her reputation on TV Tropes is to be believed.

Keshay
2009-09-03, 01:22 PM
Keep in mind that with Comprehend languages you would be an instant millionare. There are instutions out there with ancient scripts that would pay handsomely for someone with the ability to read ANYTHING for 30 min a day.

Depending on how well the spell works, maybe the caster could interpret all the wall paintings in Pyramids and similar.

Also, we'd finally find out if the Voynich Manuscript was anything but an elaborate hoax.

Also, the intelligence community would be highly interested in your knack for decoding.

For real-world applications, you really can't beat it.

Drakefall
2009-09-03, 01:23 PM
0 - Mending, Mage Hand, Light, Prestidigitation

1 - Scholar's Touch (So much of win), Expedious Retreat

Mostly pragmatic choices for me. I'm not so sure about expidious retreat, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable on 3.5 spells so I can't think of anything else at the moment:smallredface:.

Oh, and I think a rat would make a charming, little familiar. Though I do have a soft spots for cats...

Fax Celestis
2009-09-03, 01:24 PM
0th: Prestidigitation, Mending, Mage Hand, Amanuensis
1st: Charm Person, Sleep
2nd (Precocious Apprentice): Scorching Ray
Arcane Disciple: Fire (Burning Hands, Produce Flame)

Elfin
2009-09-03, 01:26 PM
[Comprehend Languages] For real world applications, you can't really beat it.

True, although Feather Fall is pretty nice...never worry about falling off a cliff again!

Jack Zander
2009-09-03, 01:31 PM
True, although Feather Fall is pretty nice...never worry about falling off a cliff again!

Because that comes up so often in real life.

deuxhero
2009-09-03, 01:43 PM
Prestidigitation, mending, mage hand and uh... *skims over cantrip list* Detect Poison, I could be a safety inspector!
Scholar's Touch and Comprehend Languages

For my familiar I take Raven, for the fun of a talking animal.

Where is Scholar's Touch from anyways?

Blackfang108
2009-09-03, 01:43 PM
0: Mending. I'm tough on my possessions.
Prestidigitation.
Ghost Sound. (Provisionally)
Light.

Level 1:
Charm Person
Scholar's Touch. Save me a LOT of money on textbooks. And after a few days at Border's...

Hawk Familiar. (It'll be easy to feed him. I live in a city Plagued by Pigeons.)

Drider
2009-09-03, 01:45 PM

If you HAD featherfall, it would.

Lysander
2009-09-03, 01:45 PM
Keep in mind that with Comprehend languages you would be an instant millionare. There are instutions out there with ancient scripts that would pay handsomely for someone with the ability to read ANYTHING for 30 min a day.

Depending on how well the spell works, maybe the caster could interpret all the wall paintings in Pyramids and similar.

Also, we'd finally find out if the Voynich Manuscript was anything but an elaborate hoax.

Also, the intelligence community would be highly interested in your knack for decoding.

For real-world applications, you really can't beat it.

It wouldn't work for decoding, since a secret code isn't a language. But everything else would work. I'm thinking Scholar's Touch and Comprehend Languages would be the best possible option.

Being able to read three books a day, no matter how long or boring, WOULD in fact make you a world famous scholar. And Comprehend Languages would increase the potential of your other spell, as well as let you do general decoding of ancient languages and stuff like read foreign language newspapers.

deuxhero
2009-09-03, 01:50 PM
Oh, where to dump my 5 (int 14 isn't that unlikly, and I think I am human) skill points(*4?)?

Tyndmyr
2009-09-03, 01:51 PM
Level 0:
Disrupt Undead
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Ray of Frost

Level 1:
Magic Missile
Animate Skeleton

If you're gonna be a mage, you've gotta have undead minions and the ability to strike people etherially.

Familiar....hmm. Toad. +3hp at level 1 makes me quite tough from a human perspective.

Draz74
2009-09-03, 01:59 PM
Scholar's Touch is immediately what I picked for my first spell. Prestidigitation was a close second.

Message is third. Mending is probably fourth.

That still leaves me a cantrip, a Level 1, and possibly a Precocious Apprentice Level 2 to pick. I'll have to dwell on these choices longer.

But since I should add something that's not been said already: for a familiar, I'd pick a hummingbird. Very cool, low-maintenance, and +4 Initiative. The latter bonus seems like it would come in quite useful when playing sports ...

wykydtron
2009-09-03, 02:02 PM

You'd be surprised . . .:smallredface:

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 02:08 PM
But since I should add something that's not been said already: for a familiar, I'd pick a hummingbird. Very cool, low-maintenance, and +4 Initiative. The latter bonus seems like it would come in quite useful when playing sports ...

Raven for me. I'd make a killing on eBay :smallbiggrin:

Jack Zander
2009-09-03, 02:09 PM
Level 1:
Magic Missile
Raise Dead

Raise Dead is a (4th? 5th?) Level cleric spell that brings people back to life. Nothing about undead minions in that one.

norvilion
2009-09-03, 02:09 PM
0-
~Prestidigitation- Grab the most obtrusively healthy-yet-disgusting foods you can think of and make it taste like steak/chocolate/lobster. Alternatively amaze house guests with dozens of bowls of surprisingly delicious varied flavors of ramen. Great for parties!
~Ghost Sound- Just for giggles
~Message- Generally useful
~Mending- Could make a career out of it :)

1-
~Comprehend languages- majorly useful!
~Charm Person- Quite helpful when haggling fora good deal

Generally useful and fun stuff without putting you as too much of a target for enemy nation aggression or paparazzi's

Quietus
2009-09-03, 02:12 PM
Hmmm...

0-level : Mending, Prestidigitation, Flare (glittery awesome teeth!), Ray of Frost (instant cold drinks/ice cubes!).
1-level : Mount, and Unseen Servant. I hate cleaning, so an Unseen Servant would be great for that. Mount... I just think it'd be nifty to actually get the chance to go riding. If not Mount, I'd go with Comprehend Languages.

Also, Unseen Servant : I could get a job cleaning people's houses. Watch TV while one or two of these go and do the job for me!

Familiar : A cat, which hates me. Because despite being a dog person, I can't remember a time in my life where I haven't had a cat as a pet... and not one of them have actually liked me, except when they wanted something.

Keshay
2009-09-03, 02:14 PM
Bah, for some reason I totally reversed the meaning of the part where it explicitly says it does not reveal hidden messages or break codes. Wishful thinking I suppose.

lsfreak
2009-09-03, 02:17 PM
0-
~Prestidigitation- Grab the most obtrusively healthy-yet-disgusting foods you can think of and make it taste like steak/chocolate/lobster. Alternatively amaze house guests with dozens of bowls of surprisingly delicious varied flavors of ramen. Great for parties!

Even better use: make nearly nutrition-devoid stuff taste like something good (celery, crushed ice, that kind of thing). Now you can snack all you want without ever having weight problems.

Hijax
2009-09-03, 02:18 PM
hmm.
since i am a human, with two flaws i could have 4 feats.
metamagic school focus(evocation)
fell animate
practical metamagic(fell animate)
preconscious apprentice
prepare fell animating magic missile, then go kill a cow. you need an undead cow to be a magician.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 02:26 PM
hmm.
since i am a human, with two flaws i could have 4 feats.
metamagic school focus(evocation)
fell animate
practical metamagic(fell animate)
preconscious apprentice
prepare fell animating magic missile, then go kill a cow. you need an undead cow to be a magician.

Requires 8 ranks in Spellcraft, Dragonblood, and 3rd level spells.

Hyfigh
2009-09-03, 02:30 PM
0: Prestidigitation, Mending, Mage Hand, Light

1: Sleep, Disguise Self

2: Knock

I won't stand firm on Sleep and Knock, but the direction I'm going is for the perfect criminal.

Prestidigitation can alter the get-away vehicle enough that it'll be difficult to find because it's not what others had described. Mending can even help take that a step further as you could damage the vehicle, and repair it on the spot to further change its appearance.

Sleep will take care of anyone attempting to meddle/stop you. Likewise, with Disguise Self, you can become anyone allowing you to get away with ease. Knock should be self explanitory... There isn't a lock that can stop you.

I thought about Alter Self, but not having access to any other humanoid forms because they don't exist would be kind of lame.

quick_comment
2009-09-03, 02:30 PM
I would go with (for my feats)

Precocious Apprentice
Versatile Spellcaster
This gives me the ability to cast 3rd level spells. Taking extra spell and extra slot then gives me a 2nd or 3rd level spell known, and a 2nd level spell slot.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-03, 02:37 PM
So you know 4 cantrips you can cast 5 times a day, and 2 level 1 spells you can cast 3 times per day. And you get a familiar. What do you pick?.

Cantrips:
1. Resize (dragon magazine 302, why? because any clothes I ever wanted to buy ever would then fit me, or my kids, or my husband. . . I would save SOOOOO much money)
2. Mending, (well DUH.)
3. Prestedigitation (any food i eat tastes good! woot)
4. Ghost sound. ( because i like to screw with people)

1st level Spells:
1. Unseen Servant. (um, yeah i really dont like to clean. . . )
2. Scholars touch. (borders, barnes&noble, county library. . . my new playground. . . also, i'd be going back to college and getting like 20 more BA's and a few Master's just for good measure.)

Familiar: gotta go with the Raven. . . who doesnt want a talking pet right?

Weezer
2009-09-03, 02:43 PM
0 - Mending, Mage Hand, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation
1- Scholars Touch (a godsend for college students), Endure Elements
2-Spider Climb (precocious apprentice)

Familiar- probably either cat or owl, cat because i love cats and its rather traditional and owl for the benefit of seeing really well in the dark.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-09-03, 02:44 PM
2-Spider Climb (precocious apprentice)

"spider man, spider man does whatever a spider can". . . lol

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-03, 02:44 PM
0: Prestidigitation, Mending, Mage Hand, Light

1: Sleep, Disguise Self

2: Knock

I won't stand firm on Sleep and Knock, but the direction I'm going is for the perfect criminal.

I have reported you to the authorities. :smalltongue:

Sebastian
2009-09-03, 02:46 PM
0-mage hand, mending, prestidigitation, message

1st, that is harder, but I think Endure Elements, just too good and it last the whole day, just think how much I'd save in heating bills. ;) and, mmh either charm person or unseen servant

Sebastian
2009-09-03, 03:19 PM
Raise Dead is a (4th? 5th?) Level cleric spell that brings people back to life. Nothing about undead minions in that one.

I think he mean Animate dead

Elfin
2009-09-03, 03:19 PM
That's still a 4th level spell.

boomwolf
2009-09-03, 03:22 PM
Well...I'll take that path:

0-Mage hand, mending, prestidigitation, message
1-Charm, Disguise Self
2-Invisibility

And now I'm a ghost that hunts anyone who annoy me. (and A+ chicks if I find a way to make duration longer for invis)

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-03, 03:27 PM
Well...I'll take that path:

0-Mage hand, mending, prestidigitation, message
1-Charm, Disguise Self
2-Invisibility

And now I'm a ghost that hunts anyone who annoy me. (and A+ chicks if I find a way to make duration longer for invis)

Psst! Sudden Extend. If you've only got 1/day, you may as well have Sudden Extend.

VanIsleKnight
2009-09-03, 03:35 PM
0 Level:

Prestidigitation (Suddenly I'm a great cook, keep a clean apartment, and I can perform cool tricks! Neat!)

Ray of Frost (Emergency use only. And for when my freezer breaks down or when summer comes)

Mending (I'll never have a broken plate or glass again!)

Acid Orb (Seriously, emergency use only...)

1st Level:

FEATHER FALL (So. Badly. Needed. Though I always got confused by the "Until you land or 1 round/level." If I don't land after 6 seconds, do I start falling again? D:)

Endure Elements (... I'm Canadian. I -need- this)

Johel
2009-09-03, 03:45 PM
Cantrips :
Prestidigitation
Ray of Frost

1st LvL spells :
Disguise Self
Charm Person

Familliar :
Raven

J.Gellert
2009-09-03, 03:55 PM
If I had the powers of a level 1 sorcerer... Wait, I still wouldn't have any powers, because they are tied to charisma :smalltongue: just kidding.

Precocious Apprentice:
No idea.
Invisibility is cool. Summon Swarm is fun. Detect Thoughts is useful. Protection from Arrows is a lifesaver (deflects bullets, right?). So hard to pick one.

Level 1:
Disguise Self
Magic Missile
(or maybe Cause Fear or Sleep if everyone is level 1 and HD isn't an issue)

Level 0:
Prestidigitation
Mending
Mage Hand
Touch of Fatigue

Trade my familiar for an animal companion (medium viper, or maaaybe wolf).

Quietus
2009-09-03, 03:57 PM
Endure Elements (... I'm Canadian. I -need- this)

Bah. You're only truly Canadian if you DON'T need that.

*Pulls his beaver fur hood closer around himself*

Sure would be nice, though..

Tyndmyr
2009-09-03, 04:01 PM

Ooh, good call. I suspect I was thinking of Animate Skeleton. Limited basic necro spell...It can only control one medium skeleton, sure, but when you create another, the previous goes rogue.

Now, to find an onyx mine...

Forrestfire
2009-09-03, 04:17 PM
For cantrips, I'd have to say:
Prestidigitation
Mending

First level spells are a bit trickier, though:
Charm Person
Feather Fall

...and for my Precocious Apprentice spell:
Detect Thoughts

Olo Demonsbane
2009-09-03, 04:17 PM
0th-Prestidigitation
Mending
Mage Hand
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages
Cure Light Wounds

Feats: Practiced Spellcaster (I already have at least one commoner level)
Extra Spell (Comprehend Languages)
Extra Spell (Cure Light Wounds)

Im using recharge magic :smallamused:

boomwolf
2009-09-03, 04:22 PM
Psst! Sudden Extend. If you've only got 1/day, you may as well have Sudden Extend.

Nice idea.
But 2 minutes is still too little.

Forgot to mention that the obv familiar for a ghost-pretender is a lizard.

Because a gecko can reach everywhere unsuspected.

Zovc
2009-09-03, 04:23 PM
Do I keep my one level or expert?

I'm not sure if I'd cast better off of intelligence or charisma, though. Said stats are probably higher than my Wisdom. XD

0: Ray of Frost, Touch of Fatigue, Mage Hand, and Light
1: Summmon Monster I, Unseen Servant
Familiar: Lizard

I wonder what would happen if I decided to start adventuring? Where should I start?

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-03, 04:35 PM
I wonder what would happen if I decided to start adventuring? Where should I start?

Detroit. If you head to the right section of town, your bound to get at least one random encounter a day.

Zovc
2009-09-03, 05:11 PM
Detroit. If you head to the right section of town, your bound to get at least one random encounter a day.

One random encounter? What's the average CL in Detroit? Think I'd have any trouble with the law?

boomwolf
2009-09-03, 06:09 PM
One random encounter? What's the average CL in Detroit? Think I'd have any trouble with the law?

More likely 3, I think a lone gangster is CR 1, and you probably would.

Milskidasith
2009-09-03, 06:27 PM
I'd probably go with Comprehend Languages and Scholars Touch as my level 1 spells, Mending, Prestidigitation, Message, and Daze (detect poison could also have good applications.)

As for my Precocious apprentice spell... Detect Thoughts. While Alter self would be amazing, Detect Thoughts is just... godlike. I'd be the worlds best scholar... I could break any code, know the answer to any question on a game show (the host knows, so I know with Detect Thoughts, albeit only for a minute.), read anything and comprehend it, and I could also have some nice household tricks with the first ones.

I wouldn't be combat capable, but hey, Daze isn't half bad when you assume everybody has a bad will save.

Jergmo
2009-09-03, 07:00 PM
You dang kids and your non-Core spells/feats! Well, actually, I'm not that far beyond kid at the moment, but that's totally irrelevant.

Cantrips: Light, Ghost Sound, Mending, Prestidigitation
1st level: Comprehend Languages, Feather Fall

Familiar Cat (I'm a cat person)

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-09-03, 07:04 PM
0:
Prestidigitation
Mending

1:
Endure Elements
Scholars Touch

Familiar:
Raven

Original, I know. Why mess with what works?

Ceric
2009-09-03, 08:56 PM
O: Mage Hand, Prestidigitation, Light, Mending
1: Spider Climb, Unseen Servant
Although I'd probably spend all my spell slots on Prestidigitation. 8 hours of special effects!

Familiar: Cat
I like cats.

Forevernade
2009-09-03, 10:26 PM
Cantrips:

Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Touch of Fatigue
Mending

1st:

Scholars Touch for uni, and also interest
Jump for helping me get awesome acrobatics and parkour

Familiar:
Owl for the extra spot, which I badly need. And also it flys.

Stormthorn
2009-09-03, 10:47 PM
Prestidigitation, Dancing Lights, Acid Splash, Mending

Unseen Servant, Disguise Self

Although Charm was a tempting one. I could you it to pick up chicks. I decided Disguise Self would be better since i dont want people knowing i can do magic.

Jalor
2009-09-04, 12:24 AM
Cantrips:
Prestidigitation
Mending
Mage Hand
Scholar's Touch
Comprehend Languages

And from Precocious Apprentice, Fox's Cunning.

Grumman
2009-09-04, 12:39 AM
0th level:
Electric Jolt - what's the point of being a sorcerer if you can't shoot lightning?
Mage Hand
Mending
Prestidigitation

1st level:
Disguise Self
Scholar's Touch

Jack Zander
2009-09-04, 10:31 AM
Charm person isn't as useful as people seem to think it is. It makes someone your friend (as in attitude: friendly). Sure, you could use it to avoid getting mugged, or for job interveiws, but it's really only going to work on strangers or people who hate you already, and the uses just don't seem to be a daily occurance.

(I'm not sure how useful it would be to pick up chicks with it either. You could have a new friend for an hour, but that's all she is, a friend, and only for an hour).

Quietus
2009-09-04, 03:48 PM
Charm person isn't as useful as people seem to think it is. It makes someone your friend (as in attitude: friendly). Sure, you could use it to avoid getting mugged, or for job interveiws, but it's really only going to work on strangers or people who hate you already, and the uses just don't seem to be a daily occurance.

(I'm not sure how useful it would be to pick up chicks with it either. You could have a new friend for an hour, but that's all she is, a friend, and only for an hour).

Could be useful as a way to break the ice, however. For those of us who have a hard time approaching people, landing a Charm Person gives us an hour of time to get to know them enough to break that initial concern. After that's done, we can interact with them as normal, because at that point we already know them.

That being said, this is a big reason why I didn't choose Charm Person. People ALREADY like me. I have natural charms - charisma, baby! - so I don't need a spell to do that for me. I'd rather pick things that are really neat (two hours of horseback, whee!), or that let me indulge my laziness/procrastination (Hey, invisible force, sweep my house. *Plays video games*)

Amadi
2009-09-04, 05:42 PM
0th level:
Mending - Way too practical to skip this. This or repair minor damage.
Prestidigitation - Obvious
Message - Freak people off / plain handy.
Stick - Glue something to something else? :smallbiggrin:
Mage Hand - Pickpocketing? Stealing stuff? Getting that beer over here?
Prestidigitation - Obvious.
Open/Close - Handy.
Dancing Lights - For the giggles.

1st level:
Scholar's Touch - The power is undeniable. Ability to read that many books/day would mean that you would learn stuff, and learn it fast.
Comprehend Languages - Okay, duration sucks. Let me spend that duration in the Giza pyramids or ancient atztec temples. Translating ancient languages with 100% accuracy would for sure earn me a career as an archaeologist.
Cure Light Wounds - Healing is fun.
Unseen Servant - It cleans, it walks, it works for 1hr/day.
Tenser's Floating Disc - Pile stuff on it, it moves them?

2nd level:
Invisibility - Disappear, for the lulz.

Feats:
Arcane Disciple (Healing) - Add CLW
Precocious Apprentice - Add Invisibility
Spell Hand - SLAs, CL 1, 1/day each: Mage Hand, Open/Close, Tenser's Floating Disc
Night Haunt - SLas, CL 1, 1/day each: Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Unseen Servant

J.Gellert
2009-09-04, 06:07 PM
What's with all the people getting Feather Fall? Do you expect to be falling from great heights routinely? :smalltongue:

Also, a working Comprehend (Ancient and unspoken) Languages might not earn you a career as an archaelogist, but a trip to the local nut-house. If you cannot prove how you deciphered an ancient language, people might just assume you are making it up.

quick_comment
2009-09-04, 06:10 PM
Also, a working Comprehend (Ancient and unspoken) Languages might not earny you a career as an archaelogist, but a trip to the local nut-house. If you cannot prove how you deciphered an ancient language, people might just assume you are making it up.

Language decoding is an example of a problem that is hard to do, but easy to verify, at least to showing that your translation is consistent.

J.Gellert
2009-09-04, 06:13 PM
As a level 1 sorcerer, can we buy/find scrolls of Timestop and Mindrape? :smalltongue:

Berserk Monk
2009-09-04, 06:14 PM
Forget the list of spells, might take magic missle just for combat instances, but I'd probably become a magician. Even a few spells a day that are REAL magic will be good to amaze a crowd.

Admiral Squish
2009-09-04, 06:35 PM
Hokay:
0-level:
Mage hand- Five pounds can do a lot if you use it right.
Mending- No more torn uniforms!
Prestidigitation- No more dry cleaning bills, and I can actually STOMACH galley food!
Ghost sound- Mess with shipmates' heads? Heck to the yes.

1st-level:
Unseen servant- Iron my uniforms. Make my rack. Everything I need done, done while I just relax.
Charm person- Always useful for getting out of things.

2nd level:
Eagle's splendor- Hey, beautiful. (Hafta work quickly, tho. Only 60 seconds to work my magic, literally.)

Jergmo
2009-09-04, 06:52 PM
What's with all the people getting Feather Fall? Do you expect to be falling from great heights routinely? :smalltongue:

Also, a working Comprehend (Ancient and unspoken) Languages might not earn you a career as an archaelogist, but a trip to the local nut-house. If you cannot prove how you deciphered an ancient language, people might just assume you are making it up.

Because Feather Fall would be AWESOMELY FUN after the first few tries! :smallsmile:

Random832
2009-09-04, 06:55 PM

If I had Feather Fall, I would expect to be jumping from great heights routinely :smallbiggrin:

Aether
2009-09-04, 07:51 PM
How well do you know/understand the books you use Scholar's Touch on? Is it retained like a photographic memory or something? Or is it more like a "I just read this book..." how long do you retain information/familiarity from the book?

What mediums could count as "books"? Scrolls? Messages on walls/plates/plaques?

What happens if you try to use Scholar's Touch on, say, a laptop? Possibly with Comprehend Languages to back you up.

Yukitsu
2009-09-04, 08:17 PM
Whatdya mean I haven't got enough charisma to do anything with it? Stupid Raven!

Jayngfet
2009-09-04, 08:33 PM
0- Ghost sound, mage hand, light, flare

1-Comprehend languages, Silent Image

I'd essentially be able to call up any detraction I want at any time.

Shadowbane
2009-09-04, 08:56 PM
Level 0:
Prestidigitation
Mending

Level 1:
Disguise Self
Unseen Servant

Level 2:
Detect Thoughts

Feats:
Precocious Apprentice
Communicator

Tyndmyr
2009-09-04, 09:12 PM
Forget the list of spells, might take magic missle just for combat instances, but I'd probably become a magician. Even a few spells a day that are REAL magic will be good to amaze a crowd.

Mage hand and prestidigitation alone are good for a near infinite number of tricks.

Shadowbane
2009-09-04, 09:16 PM
I'd also assume that with enough shows, we'd get to become better sorcerers, e.g., leveling up. So yeah. Evocation, conjuration, transmutation and illusion are all perfect schools, particularly illusion.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-04, 09:42 PM
Nice idea.
But 2 minutes is still too little.

Forgot to mention that the obv familiar for a ghost-pretender is a lizard.

Because a gecko can reach everywhere unsuspected.

Two Minutes+Expeditious Retreat=Enough. If you want to get places unseen, moving at double your natural speed is effectively doubling the duration of the Invisibility. Just make sure you cast ER first.

Lorien077
2009-09-05, 01:32 AM
Hmmm
0th-
Prestidigitation, Mending, Dancing Lights, and Mage Hand.
I can easily clean things, fix things, and manipulate things from a distance. Dancing lights is just for fun.
1st-
Mount, Scholar's Touch
I'll never be late again. And what college student wouldn't want Scholar's touch?
2nd- (with precocious apprentice)
Shadow Spray
For emergencies

Familiar:
I'd like my cockatiel Kuu to be my familiar, and be able to talk like a Raven. :)
And does anyone know how becoming a familiar effects an animal's lifespan?

Feats:
Precocious apprentice, spell hand. Odds and ends extra spells ftw.

Thurbane
2009-09-05, 02:43 AM
0 - Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Mending, Prestidigitation
1 - Comprehend Languages, Charm Person
Familiar: Raven

Kami2awa
2009-09-05, 05:27 AM

Fantastic spell to adapt for Call of Cthulhu...

Stephen_E
2009-09-05, 06:54 AM
OP is you never gain another level of sorceror.

Precocious Approentice is Wizards, not Sorcerors.

Cantrips -
Mage Hand - Casinos and/or Slot Machines and/or Lotteries
Presditagion - Casinos and/or Slot Machines and/or Lotteries
Income taken care of I'd have to think about the other cantrips.

1st lev -
Comprehend Languages - reading books in other languages, including ancient texts.
Scholars Touch - Read all the books I can now afford.

Famliar - Cat (I like cats and the +2 Reflex isn't bad) or with Practised Caster and Improved Familiar either Air Elemental for interest, or Fire Elemental (there's a couple of people I wouldn't mind lethally settling old scores with. Arson without accelerants).

Other feat I'd consider is Still Spell.

Stephen E

Shadowbane
2009-09-05, 10:00 AM
Actually, precocious apprentice's requirements are simply arcane caster level 1, and 15 INT or CHA.

Stephen_E
2009-09-05, 08:03 PM
Actually, precocious apprentice's requirements are simply arcane caster level 1, and 15 INT or CHA.

I stand corrected.
Teach me for posting late at night without checking the books. :smallredface:

OK Precocious Apprentice would be on my list.
Still would like Improved Familiar for the Fire Elemental familiar. Amongst other things I have a fireplace. Toss in a log of wood and some junk mail for food and he can heat the living room.
Get a ******* Wood Burner and you have unlimited enviorimentally friendly hot water. You're also great at barbeques.

Stephen E

Can you guess what got starred out by the filter. Goddamn US-centric profanities.