PDA

View Full Version : the price of war(forged) [Eberron]

Kol Korran
2009-09-03, 02:30 PM
so, long story short- i had played a campagin taking place in the last war, in Cyre in fact, some years ago, and i'm thinking about doing something similar again, only with a new group.

i know there is a book in 3.5 about the last war, but i don't have it and can't get it, if the answer is there just let me know. also, this is aimed at both 4E and 3.5E crowd:

how much have warforged cost in the last war? do you have any reasonable estimate? this is imporetnet since PCs get rich fairly fast, and they might want added bodyguards, which i'd love to allow in the spirit of the "warforged is property/ slave market of war" mentality the 5 nations had then. i've come up with several things that should influence the price, but i can't come up with the exact price. my thoughts are as follows:

i imagine that normal warforged, war1 with standard plating (3.5E)/ level 1 regular/ minion (4E) were quite cheap. i mean- they were whole divisions of these folks! but how would they compare to fleshies? or to the equipment of fleshies?
3.5: i imagine that better plating costs much more (especially since it's not salvable). i'd imagine that only warforged who show great potential (can take PC levels) will be outfitted by better plating.
4E: a bit simpler-warforged can now wear and remove armor, so the defence is not part of the price. how does that affects things?
i imagine warforged will mostly be sold as units, small or large, instead of individuals. after all- warforged train asa unit. what sort of unit sizes do you think we're talking about? i think most will be like normal fleshy troops, but might there be other considerations i'm not thinking of?
both editions: how much would a titan cost? (not sure if it's strogner or weaker in which addition, don't have the books with me) 3.5- a charger? a scout?
hhhmmm, i may have more questions, but this is as far as i got. feel free to add your own inqueries.

Kol

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 03:10 PM
I'm not an expert on Eberron, but my impression was that the devices (read: artifacts) for creating Warforged are now lost technology, so they may have been cheap to produce back in the day but are almost impossible to create now.

In other words, it depends on your definition of "cheap." Brew up some artifact that can create them since your campaign is set that far back, and decide for yourself whether it runs on gems or the souls of baby rakshasa or something.

Venerable
2009-09-03, 03:11 PM
The 3.5 book you're looking for is The Forge of War. The section on Warforged (p. 100-1) talks about an initial cost of 5-6,000 gp for a standard warforged, though later costs fell as production increased. Dunno about 4e.

Keep in mind that although House Cannith created large numbers of warforged, that doesn't mean they were sold dirt cheap. HC being the only supplier, they would have kept prices low enough to be affordable by most nations, but as high as they could get away with.

Most of the questions you ask will take house-ruling. Get the book(s), read up, and decide accordingly.

Starbuck_II
2009-09-03, 03:47 PM
I imagine that normal warforged, war1 with standard plating (3.5E)/ level 1 regular/ minion (4E) were quite cheap. i mean- they were whole divisions of these folks! but how would they compare to fleshies? or to the equipment of fleshies?

Kol

It isn't that they were cheap, but easy to revive. Remember they don't die/bleed out, but instead just go in active. You can recover the troops.

That was the bad part of war: losing a man meant they would need to carry the wounded away (so lose more men to carry the wounded). With Warforged they weren't originally thought alive so you could wait till later.