PDA

View Full Version : An idea from an old PSX game

Korivan
2009-09-03, 03:29 PM
Im not sure if any of you guys ever played "Legend of Dragoon" for the original playstation. But recently I dusted off this beuty and got to thinking. I'd like to incorperate the dragon souls they used to DnD 3.5. Basically there were, I think 7 of these and every so often, when you met the requirements, you could transform. Your character grew wings, new armor, new weapon, neat magic, and in general stronger. Now, I'm not concerned if these things become powerful, theres only two people in the group and I like throwing lots at them. For now, I'm only going to have two souls for the PCs to get, one for each, only works for them, they can only use one, just like the game. I have some ideas, but I'd like some critiqueing and suggestions please.

So far...
In the beginning, I control when they transform, they have to unlock the secrets of these things before they get that ability. Regardless, it will be a limited number of times a day, a limited number of rounds/minutes. Game mechanics wise, it will probably be a magic sphere that fits in the hand that works like putting the PC's under Rage, but with alot of nicer abilities. Theres going to be 5 stages, every 2 levels the PC's gain, the "dragon soul" levels up. They are currently 8th level, so by 18th level these would be fully powered up.

The following is a list of possible abilities for all 5 levels, for each orb.

1. When they transform, they are healed to full, negative effects are removed (limited to probably sickness, fatigue, curses. Maybe more, maybe just the healing).

2. Character gains flying, 40ft (poor), this increases each level +10 flying speed and manuverability increases to average at 3rd, and perfect at 5th level.

3. Characters gain +3 natural armor bonus, this increases by +1 per level to a maximum 8 at 5th level.

4. Characters gain a +2 to strength and constitution per "Soul" level.

5. At level one, characters gain darkvision 80ft.

6. At level 2, characters gain energy resistance 10 to (different for each), this increases by 10 at level 4, at level 5, they are immune to this energy.

7. at level 3, characters gains a breath weapon of cone 30ft, deals, 6d6 damage. Type is same as thier energy resistance. damage increases to 8d6 at 4th level, and 10d6 at 5th level. They can perform this 1/per transformation, DC equal to 10+1/2 characters level for a reflex save for half.

8. at level 4, character gains immunity to sleep, paralysis, and charm spells.

9. at level 5, character can summon a dragon of the same alighnment, and shares the same energy type of breath weapon as the "Soul", this dragon stays for X rounds/minutes.

10. At level 1, character gains DR, 5/+2. This increases each level as follows, 2nd-10/+2, 3rd-10/+3, 4th-15/+4, 5th-15/+5

This is a rough draft of what I'd like to see, but Im not sure it its all that great. I do plan on the PC's (If I give them these) to fight NPC's that also have these. Theres gonna be 7, but the PC's can't use any others. Its possible the PC's can collect them, and if anybody joins the game later, they will most likely bond to them.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-03, 03:55 PM
A better question would be, "Who hasn't heard of Legend of Dragoon?" It's a major classic in the RPG genre.

Anyways though, I do like the concept but from what I recall (haven't replayed it in a couple years) when in dragoon form the characters had entirely different options. New attack, new spells, etc. Admittedly that'd be a lot harder to put together, but if you're going to make a game of this it's probably worth the effort.

... Also, I think I may make Lloyd my avatar.

Myshlaevsky
2009-09-03, 03:59 PM
It sounds like the Champion base class available on this website has elements of what you are looking for. You should take a look at it.