PDA

View Full Version : Aspect Warrior (3.5 shapeshifter base class, PEACH)

boomwolf
2009-09-03, 04:35 PM
Yet another attempt to make some sort of a shapeshifting base class balanced in any way.
Not shapeshifting at all seems like the deal here. I am using a system similar to the aspect shifting alternate druid class feature.
Proves quite insanely versatile, but I think I took care of all balancing issues.
For now its only crunch, I'll put up fluff once I finish fixing up whatever imbalances in crunch I failed to find my myself.
Take a look!

Skills: 2+int per level (x4 at level 1)
balance, climb, hide, intimidate, jump, listen, move silently, spot, survival, swim, tumble.

Aspect Warrior Hit Die: d8
{table=head]Level|
Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Known Aspects|Active Aspects

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Aspects, Bestial Aspects|1|1

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0||2|1

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1||3|1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Physical Aspects|3|2

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1||4|2

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2||5|2

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Elemental Aspects|5|3

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2||6|3

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3||7|3

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Aligenmental Aspects|7|4

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+3||8|4

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+4||9|4

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+4|Monstral Aspects|9|5

14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+4||10|5

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+5||11|5

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+5|Superelemental Aspects|11|6

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+5||12|6

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+6||13|6

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+6|Immortal Aspects|13|7

20th|
+20|
+12|
+6|
+6|True Shapeshifter|14|7[/table]

Aspects (Su)
The aspect Warrior takes on aspects as a Su ability, however once assumed an anti-magic field will not undo any changes, only prevent further aspect changing. aspects rated as supernatuarl themselves will be suppressed as usual.
The ability to take on an aspect is a full-round action, in this action you may remove one active aspect and activate one inactive aspect, you may also only remove an aspect or only activate an aspect, but in under no case you may suppress the number of aspects active by the table.
At each level other then 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th and 19th you gain an additional known aspect form the lists you have access to, at the mentioned levels you gain access to new list, plus you may replace one know aspect with another.
Some aspects require other aspects to learn in order to be avilable, if you replace an aspect that is required for another, then that aspect must be replaced as well.
At a given moment the following limitations on active aspects take place:
No more then 1 elemental or superelemental aspect may be active simultaneously, the immortal aspect "Elemental Master" counts as an elemental aspect for this limitation (still can't be active wit metamorpher)
No nore then 1 aligenmental aspect may be active simultaneously
If the "metamorpher" aspect is active, no other immortal aspects may be active.
The ability to take aspects counts like shapechange. (for example, it means the aspect warrior qualify for the Warshaper PrC)

Bestial Aspects
Wolf-Gain the Scent ability.
Tiger-Gain two claws that deal 1d4 damage (per medium creature), if you already have claws they increase in size.
Owl-Gain +1 untyped bonus to spot, listen and search per every two class levels rounded down. (minimum 1)
Turtle-Your natural armor increase by 1 plus 1 per 5 class levels.
Rabbit-Your base movement speed is increased by 5 ft. and an additional 5 ft. per every 5 class levels.

Physical Aspects
Strength-Gain +2 untyped bonus to Strength. at level 12 it increases to +4, at level 20 to +6.
Speed-Gain +2 untyped bonus to Agility. at level 12 it increases to +4, at level 20 to +6.
Stamina-Gain +2 untyped bonus to Constitution. at level 12 it increases to +4, at level 20 to +6.
Stretch-Your reach is increased by 5 ft. at level 12 it increases by another 5 ft. and at level 20 by another 5 ft.

Elemental Aspects
Fire-Gain 1d6 fire damage on melee attacks and resistance to fire equal to half your class level, rounded down.
Water-Gain 1d6 ice damage on melee attacks and resistance to ice equal to half your class level, rounded down.
Air-Gain 1d6 lightning damage on melee attacks and resistance to lightning equal to half your class level, rounded down.
Earth-Gain 1d6 acid damage on melee attacks and resistance to acid equal to half your class level, rounded down.

Aligenmental Aspects
Good-Gain +1 to attack and damage against evil opponents per every 5 class levels, rounded down.
Evil-Gain +1 to attack and damage against good opponents per every 5 class levels, rounded down.
Law-Gain +1 to attack and damage against chaotic opponents per every 5 class levels, rounded down.
Chaos-Gain +1 to attack and damage against lawful opponents per every 5 class levels, rounded down.

Monstral
Dragon-You gain a 60 ft. cone breath attack that deals 4d6 magic damage, if you have an elemental aspect active it deals 5d6 of that elemental instead, if you have a superelemental aspect active it deals 3d6 of each associated aspect instead, if the elemental master aspect is active it deals 2d6 of damage of each element instead. reflex save for 10+half your class level+Wis mod for half damage. (Su)
Beholder-You gain a 250 ft. ray attack that deals 5d4 magic damage, if you have an elemental aspect active it deals 6d4 of that elemental instead, if you have a superelemental aspect active it deals 3d4 of each associated aspect instead, if the elemental master aspect is active it deals 2d4 of damage of each element instead. (Su)
Vampire-Attacks deal 1d2 Con damage, you heal by that amount.
Displacer-Gain permanent concealment.
Doppleganger-Gain +1 untyped bonus to Bluff, Disguise, Diplomacy, Intimidate and Sense Motive. per every two class levels, rounded down.
Ghoul-any opponent hit by a natural or unarmed attack or by the dragon/beholder aspect you make must make a fort save or by stunned for 1d4 rounds, the DC is equal to 10+half you class level, rounded down+your CON modifier.
Shade- Gain +1 untyped bonus to hide and move silently per every class level.

Superelemental
Smoke-Gain 1d4 fire and 1d4 lightning damage on melee attacks and resistance to fire and lightning equal to half your class level, rounded down. Requires Fire and Air aspects.
Steam-Gain 1d4 fire and 1d4 ice damage on melee attacks and resistance to fire and ice equal to half your class level, rounded down. Requires Fire and Water aspects.
Lava-Gain 1d4 fire and 1d4 acid damage on melee attacks and resistance to fire and acid equal to half your class level, rounded down. Requires Fire and Earth aspects.
Dust-Gain 1d4 acid and 1d4 lightning damage on melee attacks and resistance to acid and lightning equal to half your class level, rounded down. Requires Earth and Air aspects.
Mist-Gain 1d4 ice and 1d4 lightning damage on melee attacks and resistance to ice and lightning equal to half your class level, rounded down. Requires Water and Air aspects.
Mud-Gain 1d4 ice and 1d4 acid damage on melee attacks and resistance to ice and acid equal to half your class level, rounded down. Requires Water and Earth aspects.

Immortal
Longliver-Gain Fast Healing 10 and Damage Reduction 10/-. Requires Turtle, Stamina and Vampire aspects.
Elemental Master-Gain 1d3 damage on melee attacks for fire, ice, acid and lightning damage each and resistance to fire, ice acid and lightning equal to your half your class level, rounded down. Requires Fire, Water, Earth and Air aspects.
Creator-You may spend a full-round action to heal 1d6 damage to any creature you touch, you may also create as a standard action any animal with 1 HD, you can control up to 5 HD of animals created this way, if you create more the one under your control the longest will turn savage.
Traveler-You may use teleport as a spell-like ability at will with caster level 20. (Su) Requires Rabbit, Speed and Displacer aspects.
Metamorpher-You gain the ability to have 2 aspects active more then normal, but you may not have any other immortal aspects active. Requires Owl, stretch and Doppleganger aspects.

True Shapeshifter
At level 20 you gain the shapeshifter subtype and all bonuses that come with it, you are also immune to aging effects, and will no longer age unless you so desire even though existing penalties and bonuses remain. you cannot die from old age.

Boci
2009-09-04, 01:38 PM
This idea is quite good, as are the mechanics. They are relativly simple and quite nice. However, this is painfully underpowered.

Mechanically, this is similar to the totemist from Magic of Incarnum. It is possibly to just use that class, but there is enough difference to justify a new class, however, if you have access to it, you could use the totemist to help power up this class.

EdroGrimshell
2009-09-04, 02:06 PM
I did the same thing, except i made it a bit like a warlock with the aspects and added 0-6th level divine casting with an emphasis on transmutation and a small amount of conjuration. It was meant to be a very versatile warrior that could change aspects at a rapid pace to gain new options.

If you wish, i could post it.

boomwolf
2009-09-04, 06:37 PM
Never seen Magic of Incarnum...might look it up.

EdroGrimshell-might be nice to look at your class too.

Anyways, I'm now thinking on new ways to give this thing more options, I consider filling the "dead" levels (as you get more known aspects at the so-called dead levels, they really aren't.), such as faster aspect modifing, and adding new kinds of lethal aspects. (new aspects I consider adding are reach, higher level physical aspects that give better bonus, a higher level nat. armor aspect, a higher level speed aspect, aspect that gives poison, paralyze attack aspect and maybe I'll get new ideas.)

Boci
2009-09-05, 06:31 AM
Never seen Magic of Incarnum...might look it up.

EdroGrimshell-might be nice to look at your class too.

Anyways, I'm now thinking on new ways to give this thing more options, I consider filling the "dead" levels (as you get more known aspects at the so-called dead levels, they really aren't.), such as faster aspect modifing, and adding new kinds of lethal aspects. (new aspects I consider adding are reach, higher level physical aspects that give better bonus, a higher level nat. armor aspect, a higher level speed aspect, aspect that gives poison, paralyze attack aspect and maybe I'll get new ideas.)

How about making the lower level aspects scale a bit with level? \The new ideas for aspects would all help this class.

boomwolf
2009-09-11, 03:22 PM
Bumped.

Added the essential skills and hit die it lacked before.

Erased one aspect, it made little sense.
Improved 23 (!) of the aspects to scale by level and added an few more, some of scale by level as well.

Now with mind-boggling 35(!!) aspects, you are truly a mastery of versatility in combat.

Take the elemental path to get great elemental power in the form of lategame elemental master. never again worry about elemental opponents-you got everything covered.
The melee path with the physical and bestial aspects, gaining great ability scores, natural armor, movement speed, reach and other goodies, then go the Immortal longliver way. no sane swordsman will face you if he can avoid it.
Aligenmental aspects give you the ability to smash down your enemies of choice. raid hell on angles, divine justice on infernals, arrest the criminals, and destroy the government-all at once.
Wolf, owl, doppleganger, shade, dragon, beholder, vampire, ghoul, creator and traveler grants you insane tactical capabilities, allowing you to pretty much outsmart everyone. even the wizard will be taken by surprise.

With 14 aspects known and 7 active at every given moment, why not be ALL of the above?

GreatWyrmGold
2009-09-24, 09:12 PM
Awesome class. Maybe add fly/swim/etc?

OutlawJT
2009-09-24, 09:54 PM
Admittedly I haven't read the class in thorough detail yet but looking at how it's structured I have a few suggestions for it right off the top of my head.

First, I think the Aspects Known progression should be identical to the Warlock's progression of Invocations Known. Additionally I think the Aspects should be organized into tiers just like Invocations.

Second, I think instead of saying they are supernatural but immune to anti-magic instead just make some of them extraordinary and some supernatural. The Aspects that can best be explained by a physical change would be extraordinary, the rest supernatural. Supernatural effects just don't work in anti-magic. The game was designed that way for a reason. A number of your Aspects can be explained by a tangible physical change, though, like a Shifter.

Third, since you have already scaled some of these abilities for level all that have a reasonable system for scaling should do so. The weaker aspects (like how you have rabbit set up) would scale at the pace set for them presently and the more powerful ones would scale at a slower pace. Case in point the natural weapon Aspects. They should scale with level too, albeit at a slower pace.

Four, give this class a second good save and reduce the Active Aspects to a max of 5 in the normal class progression. Add feats for the class that add extra Active Aspects and Known Aspects.

Zakaroth
2009-09-25, 08:49 AM
This is a good basis, I like it. However, when I look at it it really seems unfinished - needs more options IMO. Some suggestions:

Add more abilities based on the aspects, gaining access to more as your "Aspect Manifester level" increases. e.g:
Earth: Burrow speed, Meld into Earth (at-will), Stalagmite (or whatever its called), Great worm of the Earth (once per day/encounter), etc (not to many though).

More natural attacks and abilities: Claw, Tentacle, Bite, Tremorsense, Darkvision etc.

Also, although a minor thing, I suggest to use tables for the elemental and alignment aspects. It seems redundant as is.

D-naras
2009-10-13, 05:33 PM
Very nice! I would like to use this one in an upcoming campaign!

Can you please fill in the weapon and armor profficiensies?