PDA

View Full Version : Okami DS Sequel

Terraoblivion
2009-09-03, 04:52 PM
Capcom has released a trailer for a DS sequel to Okami at the Tokyo game show. While short it does reveal several important facts. First and foremost the celestial brush appears virtually unaltered in function, though most likely tied to the stylus this time around. Other than that it appears that battles still takes place in cordoned off arenas like in the original game and that you play a very young Ammy with some kid riding on her back, rather than an adult Ammy with a weapon on the back. In general it seems quite close to the original game, apart from a downgrade in graphics and presumably new plot and characters.

Hopefully Capcom will prove up to the task of creating a sequel worthy of the original. It is quite a hard task, though i choose to be optimistic and think that the snippets shown in the trailer are promising for now.

If you want to see it yourself go here (http://www.capcom.co.jp/tgs2009/theater/index.html) and look at the fourth trailer, which is the one for the Okami sequel.

Oregano
2009-09-03, 05:21 PM
Apparently the game is set after the original and the new wolf is called Chibiterasu.

Volug
2009-09-03, 06:14 PM
Just in case, I have a garage full of torches and sharpened pitchforks if they mess this up badly. Though, the art direction is probably the best it can be so far.

Also whoever doesn't think this is cute has no soul.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/09/okamiden0903.jpg

Oregano
2009-09-03, 06:20 PM
Just in case, I have a garage full of torches and sharpened pitchforks if they mess this up badly. Though, the art direction is probably the best it can be so far.

Also whoever doesn't think this is cute has no soul.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/09/okamiden0903.jpg

I think it's going to be one of those sequels which is enjoyable and a good game by it's own merits but it won't be able to touch the original. Lots of people will be annoyed but I won't be bothered.

..and yes Chibiterasu is uber-cute.

Terraoblivion
2009-09-04, 03:29 AM
That is likely Oregano. If that happens i will bug me a bit, but i will still play it and be mostly satisfied.

In any case we have an adorable new wolf, a proper art direction and seemingly the same gameplay, so it seems unlikely to me that it will become a complete trainwreck. Also those graphics are quite spectacular for a DS game like one of my friends pointed out.

littlequietguy
2009-09-05, 12:03 PM
I have a friend who usually only plays ds games because they are protable and good in short bursts. He will be psyched at the news.
I don't mind that it is by a different developer. It doesn't matter much sometimes.

Lord of Rapture
2009-09-05, 06:22 PM
Having given up hope of ever finding another PS2 game for sale around here, and of my parents ever buying me another handheld console after the GBA, this is my only reaction.

*sigh*

Trauron
2009-09-08, 04:16 AM
Looking rather forward to playing this when it does eventually come out, the original was definitely a must have for the PS2/Wii (particularly the Wii).

banjo1985
2009-09-08, 05:49 AM
Very much looking forward to this, Okami was one of the most charming and unique games I've ever played. :smallsmile:

Oregano
2009-09-08, 06:59 AM
New Trailer (http://www.nintendoeverything.com/?p=23277)

Game looks awesome.

Cristo Meyers
2009-09-08, 07:39 AM
Figures...I sold my DS earlier in the summer because there was nothing interesting for it...

...I hate you, Capcom, your sense of timing sucks.

I'll just have to join Lord of Rapture in a *sigh*

Shas aia Toriia
2009-09-08, 08:00 AM
Yay! Okami! :smallbiggrin:
Would've been nice if it had been for a console, but I''ll take what I can get.

Malek
2009-09-08, 06:24 PM
Anyone could brief me about what original Okami was about and where comes all the hype from? I don't own PS2 (or any PS for that matter) so while I stumbled upon the name and some videos here and there I never investigated the matter.

Now DS I do own so I figure I might check out what this is all about >_>

Teln
2009-09-08, 08:58 PM
Anyone could brief me about what original Okami was about and where comes all the hype from? I don't own PS2 (or any PS for that matter) so while I stumbled upon the name and some videos here and there I never investigated the matter.

Now DS I do own so I figure I might check out what this is all about >_>

Here's a spoiler-free Okami plot summary from TV Tropes:

Long ago, in The Time Of Myths, the eight-headed dragon Orochi lorded over the village of Kamiki, demanding a sacrifice to himself every year on the night of the full moon. During the weeks before the day which the sacrifice would be chosen, a large white wolf - dubbed Shiranui by the villagers - would be spotted roaming the outskirts of the village. Many of the villagers suspected that Shiranui was Orochi's familiar. One warrior, Nagi, made it his mission to slay the wolf, but every time they would meet Shiranui would manage to get away.

On the night of the sacrifice, a maiden by the name of Nami - whom Nagi harbored strong feelings for - was selected to be offered to Orochi. Refusing to accept this, Nagi traveled to Orochi's cave to destroy the monster. However, Orochi proved to be far too strong for Nagi, and it appeared that he would kill the man.

But when Orochi was about to deal the final blow, a howl was heard. Shiranui appeared and fought Orochi in Nagi's place, matching the dragon blow by blow. In the end, the wolf gave her life so that Nagi could deal the final blow. In Shiranui's honor, a shrine was constructed in Kamiki village and the sword that slew Orochi, dubbed Tsukuyomi, was sealed away in the dragon's cave in order to prevent his revival. All the while, the villagers never realized that, in reality, the wolf was sun goddess Amaterasu in physical form.

100 years after these events an unnamed man, acting on his own curiosity, removes Tsukiyomi from Orochi's cave, allowing Orochi to revive himself and spread his influence over most of Nippon.

Sakuya, wood sprite and guardian of Kamiki village, realized that something needed to be done and revived Amaterasu's body so that she may defeat Orochi once more. However, both her death and Nippon's loss of faith in the gods has left Amaterasu greatly weakened. Adding the fact that Nagi's descendant, Susano, appears to be useless, it looks like it will be a severely uphill battle for Amaterasu...

And about all the hype, this game is fantastic. The graphics are gorgeous, combat is nice and fun, the music is as beautiful as the graphics, and you can summon giant bombs out of thin air any time you want.

Did I mention that Okami has been ported to the Wii?

AlterForm
2009-09-08, 09:12 PM
Also, that TVTropes summary in the post above? That's only the first third of the game.

The only complaint I've ever had about the game is that I had a hard time focusing on the game after a while because the graphics started feeling very shifty and loosely focused. They were still gorgeous, though.

Volug
2009-09-08, 09:35 PM
Well I guess the other 2 thirds could be considered spoilers.

Terraoblivion
2009-09-09, 09:22 AM
One thing that is important to mention about the writing is how practically everything that happens is some variant on a Japanese folk tale or shinto myth. Much of it is very silly and quite far from the actual tale, but it is still based on it being all the funnier for that.

Raz_Fox
2009-09-09, 11:04 AM
Having no DS and not having one likely to appear on my gaming horizons, I must add in another

*sigh*

Still need to beat the original, though - got it for mah birthday, and finding it to be an absolutely amazing game. Seriously, it's a must-buy if you've got a PS2 or Wii.