PDA

View Full Version : "Paladin" on a chain help.

Drevius
2009-09-03, 05:38 PM
Okay so I posted this a while back on the CharOp boards with little to no responses, probably due to the more role play/backstory development help I needed. Anyway, sooner or later I will be playing in a game where I wanted to further the story of an evil character from an evil campaign that I thought was quite a successful and neat character. He was a halfling factotum who was chaotic evil and started as a joke character but ended up being the unnamed half fiend human factotum of Cyric, and the bane of all bards and paladins especially gnome and elven ones. (he also survived multiple party wipes and escaped about a dozen or so prisons naked with only a cleverly hidden dagger in his....er...nevermind.)

I wanted his story to go something along the lines of a group of lawful goody goods catch him and transform him into a half elf brainwashing him into a paladin to serve as a champion against Cyric and denying him his death and chance to meet his god.

I just wanted some help with maybe feat/weapon selection possible acf's to consider (charging smite perhaps?) and ideas on how to break the brainwashing and return to evil as probably an npc villain or something like that. The organization that caught him will probably be the harpers for lack of any better ideas but suggestions on groups would be good as well as characters that keep an eye on him for any faltering in the brainwashing/ enchantments to forget who he once was.

Flickerdart
2009-09-03, 06:05 PM
Helm of Opposite Alignment should turn him right back into his old, evil self, after which he falls. Note: if the Elves Psychic Reformation'ed him, and not just Mindrape/Programmed Amnesia/Sanctify the Wicked him, he will not get his old abilities back without a second Psychic Reformation.

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 06:45 PM
Brainwashing isn't the Harpers' style, even brainwashing evil. I think the Lords' Alliance is a Good organization in Faerun more likely to do that, they tend towards zealotry a bit more than the Harpers. (FRCS pg. 275)

Drevius
2009-09-03, 07:57 PM
Alright good stuff, I will take a look at the Lords Alliance and as for how he came to be brainwashed not sure yet got to talk to my dm, more than likely plot magic or some such thing but falling and becoming a black guard is one goal as well as to hook back up with my old sect of Cyricsits before I wipe them out. Another possible route is to go Gray Guard and go hardcore champion of good, eventually becoming corrupt good or some such thing.

herrhauptmann
2009-09-03, 08:56 PM
Khelben Blackstaff and his new organization (created in year of sundered harp) would be more likely to mindrape/psychic reform an evil character than the harpers would.
The willingness to use such tactics, and make deals with evil (like Fzoul Chembryl) is what led to him leaving the harpers and founding his own group.

Drevius
2009-09-03, 09:07 PM
Alright now I just gotta double check the setting, it will probably be forgotten realms but I can probably get my dm to adapt an organization for the sake of the game if its core or whatnot and probably keep cyric as a deity anyway.

Drevius
2009-09-03, 09:11 PM
Also tactics to take on some optimized bards and pallys? I was coming up with some pretty out there tactics (invisible spellstoring silence beartraps laced with poisons). But can anyone think of some more obvious ones? I will probably be fighting evil bards and pallys as the reformed pally since my dm likes to torment me with really annoying bards (think grobnar gnomehands from nwn 2).

herrhauptmann
2009-09-03, 09:20 PM
Fight inside a silence spell when you attack a bard. As I remember, their spells HAVE to have a audible component. This'll however, also cut down on any casting by your allies as well.

To fight a good paladin: Mindcontrol some innocent people to attack the paladin. If he's a righteous avenger type, even if he deals nonlethal damage in the fight (take negatives to do so...), he might well 'execute them for their crimes' afterwards, which should cause him to lose paladin status. Like Miko.

Also give good paladins a moral quandry: Kill the evil guy, but innocents will suffer. Or swear to let the evil man live and leave town unmolested by allies, but then the innocents won't suffer. http://keychain.patternspider.net/archive/koc0219.html

woodenbandman
2009-09-03, 11:11 PM
My favorite bard build is Bard/Virtuoso/Sublime Chord, or Bard/War Chanter/Dread Pirate or something like that. Focus on either combat and music or spells and music. Combat and spells is done better by a lot of other stuff. Skills can be stapled on to just about any bard build.

sofawall
2009-09-04, 05:53 AM
My favorite bard build is Bard/Virtuoso/Sublime Chord, or Bard/War Chanter/Dread Pirate or something like that. Focus on either combat and music or spells and music. Combat and spells is done better by a lot of other stuff. Skills can be stapled on to just about any bard build.

We want to kill bards, not make them.

Fizban
2009-09-04, 08:41 AM
Sanctify the wicked: brainwashing so Good, it's exalted!

Drevius
2009-09-04, 09:54 AM
I have a feeling sanctify the wicked will be my ticket to the pally express, but I will have fragments of who I once was trying to break out and things that remind him of who he was in the past (symbols, locations, people etc). I think there is actually a feat like this in a book (lost empires?), I believe it is called godsight and can invoke events that occurred in the past etc like a flashback. My dm is also a big fan of infernal bargains/abyssal deals and wishes with the extreme bent of "be careful what you wish for", but I think once I recover enough memory and break free of control I can "Pazuzu" my way into Blackguard etc.

Drevius
2009-09-04, 09:56 AM
Also it is more than likely that I will go Blackguard around level 10 for the best perks of trading in my pally levels. But levels 11 plus I am drawing a blank, maybe go back to factotum? Assassin? Bard for the lols?

Fizban
2009-09-04, 10:21 AM
I have a feeling sanctify the wicked will be my ticket to the pally express, but I will have fragments of who I once was trying to break out and things that remind him of who he was in the past (symbols, locations, people etc). I think there is actually a feat like this in a book (lost empires?), I believe it is called godsight and can invoke events that occurred in the past etc like a flashback. My dm is also a big fan of infernal bargains/abyssal deals and wishes with the extreme bent of "be careful what you wish for", but I think once I recover enough memory and break free of control I can "Pazuzu" my way into Blackguard etc.
Hmm. After being Sanctified into supreme goodness, you find out just how it happened. Realizing that it is forced subjugation of a sapient being's mind you decide that the goodie two-shoes that turned you must be destroyed for the good of everyone, lest everyone become slaves of the few who decide "what is right". Thus begins your fall into darkness for the "greater good". Serves them right.

Drevius
2009-09-04, 10:40 AM
Well now when you put it that way it sounds quite awesome :smallcool: , I was thinking my character relates strongly to the Orsted character in Live a Live if anyone has ever played that game (HIGHLY UNDERRATED SQUARE RPG!!!!) I love his theme song two, which i will probably play at my realization and evil fall.

Optimystik
2009-09-04, 01:16 PM
Hmm. After being Sanctified into supreme goodness, you find out just how it happened. Realizing that it is forced subjugation of a sapient being's mind you decide that the goodie two-shoes that turned you must be destroyed for the good of everyone, lest everyone become slaves of the few who decide "what is right". Thus begins your fall into darkness for the "greater good". Serves them right.

Not to derail the thread, but you know that Sanctify doesn't actually tamper with your memories, right? There'd be nothing to "discover."

Drevius
2009-09-04, 01:58 PM
Like I said earlier plot magic is probably going to be the ticket but sanctify the wicked will probably be the package it is disguised as or something along these lines cast by a higher up cleric of a good god/wizard of good group.

Fizban
2009-09-06, 02:15 AM
Whoops, lost track of the thread.

Not to derail the thread, but you know that Sanctify doesn't actually tamper with your memories, right? There'd be nothing to "discover."
But does he know exactly what happened? As I recall, the spell traps them in a diamond for a year, after which they reappear dedicated to good with the sanctified template. The spell description says that the soul reflects upon it's deeds and finds a spark of goodness that grows into blah blah blah. The spell, and presumably what the creature remembers of the imprisonment, paints it as a choice. So he would remember someone casting a spell at him, then being imprisoned, then "choosing" to be good and being released. What if he found out that he didn't have a choice in the matter? That the spell effect is what made him change his mind? That the same thing would happen to anyone the spell was cast on? Sounds like a plot hook to me :smallcool:

Fishy
2009-09-06, 03:31 AM
Reading this thread title made me think of some sort of tiny but heavily armored Petal or Fey thing, kept in a pocket and used like a monocle that casts Detect Evil.

Carry on.