PDA

View Full Version : Building a Factotum...

Zovc
2009-09-03, 06:22 PM
(For the record, this is completely unrelated to my past few posts. This post is concerning a PbP game I'm considering joining.)

I'd like to play a factotum in a fun Play by Post game I came across (on another site), it's all about dungeon crawling. Our heroes are in a paralell universe, and they crawl through dungeons for personal enjoyment--and for the enjoyment of others. Think of it as a game show.

Anyways, the game doesn't look that crunchy, so I don't have to do anything crazy with my character. I was just wondering if there were any particularly cool (not necessarily powerful) things that Factotums can do?

The game's level 1 right now, so what LA +0 races have intelligence bonuses?

Boci
2009-09-03, 06:29 PM
Max out ranks in iaijutsu focus and use a gnome quick razor? Race wise grey elf will give +2 int, but the con penalty will hurt.

Zovc
2009-09-03, 06:34 PM
Max out ranks in iaijutsu focus and use a gnome quick razor? Race wise grey elf will give +2 int, but the con penalty will hurt.

Speaking of Iaijutsu Focus, I just read the skill and found this quite funny:

You can also use Iaijutsu Focus in preparation for striking an inanimate object, assuming no distractions.

We'll see if I can get the DM to let me use Iaijutsu focus, I find it hard to flavorfully explain how an "American" character ended up a learned samurai.

As far as Gray Elf goes, it could work--the Con might hurt, but I'll still have more health than a rogue without a con penalty. XD

Edit: Where is the gnome quick razor from?

Boci
2009-09-03, 06:42 PM
We'll see if I can get the DM to let me use Iaijutsu focus, I find it hard to flavorfully explain how an "American" character ended up a learned samurai.

If it helps justify knowing it don't max out ranks in the skill and just say you half-mastered the trick after seeing it or reading about it.

Edit: Where is the gnome quick razor from?

Races of stone. Its an exotic weapon identicle to a dagger exept that it takes a free action to draw and sheath.

Keld Denar
2009-09-03, 06:43 PM
Races of Stone.

A neat trick is nabbing Craven from Champion's of Ruin. That way, when you hit someone from a position to do SA damage, you can spend 1 insp point to gain 1 die of SA and add all your tasty Craven damage in for free.

deuxhero
2009-09-03, 06:52 PM

Uh, aren't you are playing a Factotum?

Zovc
2009-09-03, 06:52 PM
Is Gray Elf the only LA +0 race with an intelligence bonus? : /

Zovc
2009-09-03, 06:55 PM
Uh, aren't you are playing a Factotum?

I feel like, "Oh, I read about Samurai (Iaijutsu Focus) and Psychics (Autohypnosis) in a few books." Isn't a very good explanation for being able to use said skills. Actually seeing people fight, cast spells, use skills allows you to learn about them.

Eldariel
2009-09-03, 06:57 PM
I feel like, "Oh, I read about Samurai (Iaijutsu Focus) and Psychics (Autohypnosis) in a few books." Isn't a very good explanation for being able to use said skills. Actually seeing people fight, cast spells, use skills allows you to learn about them.

And in a D&D world, where all such skills are freely mixed around the world and Factotum's whole shtick is drawing upon all esoteric and rare talents, it NEEDS no explanation how a Factotum knows them.

That's specifically what Factotums do - know esoteric knowledge, learn special combat styles, study various kinds of magic - the whole point is that they do a little of everything.

Boci
2009-09-03, 06:58 PM

http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf

Page 51:

Deep Imaskari, Elf (Dark, Fire, Ghost, Gray, Umbragen)

Goldfly
2009-09-03, 06:59 PM
No. Off my head there's Lesser Tiefling(FR Campaign Guide), and Deep Imaskari(Underdark).

Zovc
2009-09-03, 07:01 PM
And in a D&D world, where all such skills are freely mixed around the world and Factotum's whole shtick is drawing upon all esoteric and rare talents, it NEEDS no explanation how a Factotum knows them.

I'm not saying I don't think it makes sense, I'm just saying that if the DM (who I don't personally know) doesn't think I should, I don't feel like I would have a good explanation.

What I'm trying to say is, (while psionics are, in fact, in this game) if there is no such thing as a samurai, how am I supposed to fight like one?

Boci
2009-09-03, 07:02 PM
I'm not saying I don't think it makes sense, I'm just saying that if the DM (who I don't personally know) doesn't think I should, I don't feel like I would have a good explanation.

What I'm trying to say is, (while psionics are, in fact, in this game) if there is no such thing as a samurai, how am I supposed to fight like one?

Think of some other race/class that uses it.

Flickerdart
2009-09-03, 07:03 PM
"Hey, I've been working on this sweet trick that's like nothing that anyone else uses. Check it out."

sonofzeal
2009-09-03, 07:06 PM
Iaijutsu is an amusing one, I recommend it. The other thing about Factota is that they multiclass fluidly and naturally as they're already a bit of everything anyway. Dip around, grab some ToB or a level in Binder, or maybe a Psion dip (Control Object is a nice one, and you can use your bonus psi feat for "Practiced Manifester).

Pack a lot of gear, and use it creatively! Scour Dungeonscape and Arms & Equipment Guide for all the non-magical gear, and play around with it. "The Quintiscential Rogue" is 3rd party, but has some additional ideas, including about six different uses for towels for the Douglas Adams fans. Use marbles instead of caltrops, use red bouncy balls as trapfinding and illusionfinding tools, pack magnets and stilts and invisible ink and soap. I had a factotum that defeated an acid ooze using some high school chemistry and a lot of soap, as he had nothing else that could hurt it.

Zovc
2009-09-03, 07:19 PM
It looks like I will just be playing a human, what feats should I look at?... or do all of my feats just go to Font of Inspiration?

Coidzor
2009-09-03, 07:19 PM
Well, something else might have come up with it other than Samurai in the first place. :smalltongue: You don't know. Run it by the GM and if she says no then put the skillpoints somewhere else.

Hell... Autohypnosis makes as much sense for agent-types to learn it for memorization of sensitive intel as for really disciplined types like what monks "should" be and other people who have a fetish for discipline.

Zovc
2009-09-03, 08:14 PM
I have 32 points to buy my stats, how does that work? I'm sure my stats start above 0, seeing as 32/6 doesn't even give me 10 in each of my stats.

IthilanorStPete
2009-09-03, 08:59 PM
Start with 8 in each ability, then consult the following:

attribute score - total cost in pts.:
8 - 0
9 -1
10 -2
11 - 3
12 - 4
13 - 5
14 - 6
15 - 8
16 - 10
17 - 13
18 - 16

deuxhero
2009-09-03, 09:13 PM
Or you could google use Google search engine and search for "point buy calculator" (there are quite a few to chose from) if you don't want calculate it yourself.

Zovc
2009-09-03, 09:20 PM
How does...
10 in Strength...
14 in Dexterity...
12 in Constitution...
18 in Intelligence...
10 in Wisdom and...
10 in Charisma look?

Zovc
2009-09-03, 10:58 PM
Okay, I'm on to skills.

I have 6 + Int (4) + 1 (Human) x 4; that gives me 44 skill points at the first level.

4 Iaijutsu Master
4 Autohypnosis
4 Use Magic Device
4 Use Psionic Device (Do I want this?)
4 Search
=24 skill points left.

I will in some cases have to solo, and in most groups I will be the skillmonkey. What do I do?

sofawall
2009-09-03, 11:27 PM
Check with your DM, UPD and UMD might be the same.

Myrmex
2009-09-03, 11:32 PM

He didn't just read about it- he studied briefly with an Iaijutsu master and contemplated with a Russian medium during his younger days when he was in search of spirituality. Incidentally, he also figured out how to turn undead when he spent some time with a Catholic in the Sonara.

Except change the names/religions to fit the campaign.

Draz74
2009-09-04, 02:02 AM
It looks like I will just be playing a human, what feats should I look at?... or do all of my feats just go to Font of Inspiration?

Boo. Font of Inspiration is powerful but boring.

Just figure out what you'd like your Factotum to do, and take feats that support it. Trip-monkey, using Brains over Brawn to boost Trip checks? Spend feats on Improved Trip. Want to be sneaky? Take Darkstalker.

I have a Factotum who thinks he's a Ranger. Feats: Track, Point Blank Shot, True Believer, Darkstalker, Rapid Shot, Woodland Archer, Knowledge Devotion.

I'm working on a Factotum who thinks he's a Swashbuckler. These aren't optimized quite yet, but sound like a good start: Weapon Finesse, Goad, Einhander, Martial Study (insightful strike), Martial Stance, Improved Critical (rapier), Shadow Blade.

Get creative. If the rest of your party isn't very optimized, you don't even need to go anywhere near Iaijutsu.

Doc Roc
2009-09-04, 10:23 AM
My suggestion would be that if you are allowed flaws, grab the two you are allowed, and hammer three feats into font of inspiration. If you're feeling it later, you can drop another one in. There are a lot of options, what combat style did you have in mind?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-09-04, 10:27 AM

Grandfather was a Samurai. End of problem.

Person_Man
2009-09-04, 11:25 AM
Here's my contribution (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526).

Tyndmyr
2009-09-04, 11:31 AM

Gnome would work too, right?

Lesser Tiefling also is LA +0, has int bonus.

Gray Elf is nice...you take hits to str and con, but gain bonuses to dex and int. There are *far* more skills with dex and int. Oh, and you retain all the usual juicy elf bonuses, which is significant. Im playing a grey elf wizard atm, on the advice of several players here, and it's quite a good race.