PDA

View Full Version : IPORTANT...Is my vision going or are the letters smaller?

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-09-03, 06:28 PM
I am 14 years old and i have perfect 20/20 vision. However, this morning when i logged on, the letters seemed blurry in 674. It was really weird, since i have great vision. Are the letters smaller? It very much seems like it.

Setra
2009-09-03, 06:30 PM
I think they do seem a bit smaller

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 06:31 PM
Weren't you the guy that thought the desert people were floating? :smallconfused:

They are a little smaller, but every modern internet browser lets you zoom in to see things comfortably.

If you feel you need an eye exam though, there's no harm in getting one.

liq
2009-09-03, 06:55 PM
It does seem like its down a font size or two, but then there was a lot of talking to fit in this one since it was a Vaarsuvius-centred strip. Lets see what the next one looks like.

The Recreator
2009-09-03, 07:21 PM
They are a little smaller, but every modern internet browser lets you zoom in to see things comfortably.

Personally, I prefer not to zoom in on comics; it makes the images appear more pixelated. Seeing the font shrink again is quite annoying, though. The 10pt font the Giant was using was already pushing the lower boundaries of readability. I don't pretend to be a writing maverick, but isn't there a way for the Order to say more with less? (Besides Vaarsuvius, of course.)

Optimystik
2009-09-03, 07:34 PM
Personally, I prefer not to zoom in on comics; it makes the images appear more pixelated. Seeing the font shrink again is quite annoying, though. The 10pt font the Giant was using was already pushing the lower boundaries of readability. I don't pretend to be a writing maverick, but isn't there a way for the Order to say more with less? (Besides Vaarsuvius, of course.)

I zoomed in two orders of magnitude with no noticeable pixellation, making the comic's text larger than the text in this post. If the alternative is either eyestrain or sparser dialogue, is there really a choice?

Cleverdan22
2009-09-03, 09:11 PM
Meh, smaller, but certainly readable and not that big a problem...and I wear glasses. Shouldn't be a problem for a 14 year old with 20-20 vision.

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-09-04, 05:54 AM
Weren't you the guy that thought the desert people were floating? :smallconfused:

If you feel you need an eye exam though, there's no harm in getting one.

I am aware of zooming in, its just that i hope i dont have to that while reading a book. And i still have 20/20, so the letters must be smaller.

And yes, i was the guy who thought they were floating, but many people misunderstood my question. There was no solid ground where the people were going, and i figured they used wind walk or something.

But then zoomed in very close and i noticed there are guard towers and they are walking over a very, very camouflaged mountain. So i guess i learned that next time i post, i should look closer.

Random832
2009-09-04, 07:24 AM
The lowercase letter "o" is 4x6 pixels in this comic. It is 5x7 pixels in comic #1.

It's also "blurry" because whatever rendering process he uses doesn't take advantage of truetype font hinting.

NerfTW
2009-09-04, 09:55 AM
It's a text heavy comic, that's why.

Prowl
2009-09-04, 10:01 AM
It's not just the amount of text in the comic. I notice a difference in Firefox when I right click the comic and choose "View Image", the image alone is more readable than the image inside the web page.

At the published size, yes, the font is in fact smaller, and I too have difficulty reading it (which is why I right click to see the image by itself).

Random832
2009-09-04, 11:03 AM
I notice a difference in Firefox when I right click the comic and choose "View Image", the image alone is more readable than the image inside the web page.

:smallconfused: Um... the image is the same size in the webpage as it is when you right click and do view image. The page doesn't contain any code to shrink it or anything.

Teddy
2009-09-04, 12:39 PM
I am aware of zooming in, its just that i hope i dont have to that while reading a book. And i still have 20/20, so the letters must be smaller.

Don't worry. The reason that the letters sometimes are barely readable is since the pixels can't allow for greater detail. The printed comics will not suffer from that.

And yes, i was the guy who thought they were floating, but many people misunderstood my question. There was no solid ground where the people were going, and i figured they used wind walk or something.

But then zoomed in very close and i noticed there are guard towers and they are walking over a very, very camouflaged mountain. So i guess i learned that next time i post, i should look closer.

That should be the sand dunes that your taking for being thin air, but could it possibly be so that you've got a slight color blindness (red-green or otherwise), since the sky is distinctly redder than the desert dunes?

And I can't see any guard towers. Just people and some larger dots that could be pack animals (sand dunes aren't firm enough for stable building).

Le Piaf
2009-09-04, 01:07 PM
I am 35 years old dwarf and I have perfect 60ft darkvision. However, this evening when i opened me ancient book of faith, the pages seemed too dark to read. It was really weird, lad, since i have darkvision. Have the runes faded? It very much seems like it.
:smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2009-09-04, 01:11 PM
That should be the sand dunes that your taking for being thin air, but could it possibly be so that you've got a slight color blindness (red-green or otherwise), since the sky is distinctly redder than the desert dunes?

And I can't see any guard towers. Just people and some larger dots that could be pack animals (sand dunes aren't firm enough for stable building).

I agree. Vaarsuvius4181 should probably get checked for color blindness, or at least make sure his monitor is working properly. That's not "camouflaged" at all. One is tan and the other is peach.

Vizen
2009-09-04, 01:12 PM
I am 35 years old dwarf and I have perfect 60ft darkvision. However, this evening when i opened me ancient book of faith, the pages seemed too dark to read. It was really weird, lad, since i have darkvision. Have the runes faded? It very much seems like it.
:smallbiggrin:

/thread

More words

Prowl
2009-09-04, 05:39 PM
:smallconfused: Um... the image is the same size in the webpage as it is when you right click and do view image. The page doesn't contain any code to shrink it or anything.

I'm not exactly sure why it's happening, either, but the size difference is there and it is significant. When you view the image you need to click on it once (notice the magnifying glass cursor) to see it at its full size.

Knaight
2009-09-04, 06:15 PM
I noticed a general size decrease, but I can still read it easily.

Porthos
2009-09-04, 06:21 PM
I'm not exactly sure why it's happening, either, but the size difference is there and it is significant. When you view the image you need to click on it once (notice the magnifying glass cursor) to see it at its full size.

Sounds like a rendering issue with Firefox. Do you have any settings that govern how much screen space is taken up by webpages?

Project_Mayhem
2009-09-04, 06:45 PM
You might have gigantism, and things merely seem smaller relative to you.

I prescribe two tablespoons of reduce person per day, and see me in a week.

Random832
2009-09-04, 07:02 PM

When you first right-click/view image, it _shrinks_, then you click with the magnifying glass cursor to bring it back to the _same_ size as it is on the website.

Unless you've somehow shrunk the website. Try pressing ctrl-0 (zero).

Speaking of which, any modern browser can zoom in on the comic, hold down the ctrl key and scroll your mouse wheel (it's down on some browsers, up on others. if it shrinks, try the other way. look in menus or try ctrl-plus if you have no mouse wheel)

kenb215
2009-09-04, 08:39 PM
It's definitely smaller. This is the second time Rich shrank the font size. The first was going from strip 71 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0071.html) to 72 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0072.html).

random_guy
2009-09-04, 08:59 PM

By "guard towers" I believe he/she is referring to the wall where people were walking in.

I don't have 20/20 vision and I had no problem seeing the words without glasses. The words are definitely smaller than the first comic though. Random832 has the dimensions measured.

Prowl
2009-09-04, 09:28 PM
Unless you've somehow shrunk the website. Try pressing ctrl-0 (zero).

Ahh there's the problem... thanks for the tip. I used to adjust font size a lot, and I must have left it a notch smaller than average.

Lissou
2009-09-05, 09:42 AM
I had some trouble reading it too.
I hope it's not changed for good, because that makes it harder to read and it can only be worse for people with a bad vision.

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-09-05, 09:51 AM
AH! The problem is that my monitor had a weird setting due to a power outage while playing assasins creed. Thank you very much.

littlequietguy
2009-09-08, 08:22 PM
By the end of the comic, the text will be so small and there will be so much of it that it will take The Giant a month each to write\ and will be impossible to read without magnification or super powers.

Acero
2009-09-08, 08:41 PM
By the end of the comic, the text will be so small and there will be so much of it that it will take The Giant a month each to write\ and will be impossible to read without magnification or super powers.

good thing i have both!:smallbiggrin:

Liwen
2009-09-08, 08:55 PM
Now that someone pointed it out, the text does indeed look smaller

Still, I have horrible vision, even with my glasses because I'm due for a new vision exam and it's still very easy to read.

Spiky
2009-09-09, 12:03 AM
Other comics have had text the same size. Keep in mind that asides or whispered comments are traditionally smaller, like half of the 10th panel.

Lkctgo
2009-09-09, 12:12 AM
It's always been like that, changing text fonts when suitable.

veti
2009-09-09, 03:43 PM
The text size has been creeping down for a long, long time. Look back at the early strips, it was almost twice the size it is now. I thought it had stabilised roundabout book 3, but recently it's started creeping down again. Which is all very well until someone says something sotto-voce, which means it has to get even smaller... just thank the gods it wasn't a character who speaks with coloured speech bubbles.

Personally, I agree with Chief Grukgruk (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0558.html) on this. The Giant would do well to make some of these panels less wordy.