PDA

View Full Version : They told you it was a bad idea

Bellepheron
2009-09-03, 06:32 PM
You knew it was a bad idea,but you still went ahead and did it!
Tell me tell me! I wanna know.

I'll start:

Cutting my own hair.

*famous last words: Don't worry, I got this!*

Coidzor
2009-09-03, 06:40 PM
Were you aiming for silly message board games, perhaps?

Froogleyboy
2009-09-03, 07:21 PM
Were you aiming for silly message board games, perhaps?

No, he is interested in crazy stuff you have done

Me, I'd have to say, Mooning the school cop

Jimorian
2009-09-03, 08:07 PM
No, he is interested in crazy stuff you have done

Me, I'd have to say, Mooning the school cop

Seriously, mooning is not a prank you want to commit anymore in the U.S. The crime is charges as "indecent exposure" and will get you permanently on the sexual offender list where you have to register where you live and in many communities will not be allowed to live within 1000 ft of a school, park, daycare, etc.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-09-03, 08:24 PM
Seriously, mooning is not a prank you want to commit anymore in the U.S. The crime is charges as "indecent exposure" and will get you permanently on the sexual offender list where you have to register where you live and in many communities will not be allowed to live within 1000 ft of a school, park, daycare, etc.

Even when you're a school kid?

...I wouldn't put it past this country of ours.

Moff Chumley
2009-09-03, 08:31 PM
Those philistines at the university told me it would never work! They called me mad! LOOK AT ME!! Do I sound mad to you?! AM I CRAYAYAYAYAZEH?!

Vmag
2009-09-03, 08:39 PM
Those philistines...

Oh sure, I could joking refer to Israel as "Occupied Palestine" and get a warning, but make a comment about الفلسطنيون and suddenly it's kosher.

I kid, I kid.

To be on topic, they told me about stairs, bro. They told me.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 08:45 PM
Err...by "philistines", I'm pretty sure he's using it to mean "uneducated commoners", not "people of...Philistine? Where the hell is that? O_o". >.>

JUUUST saying. *coughs*

Also...the rant made me think of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmXNjs_i38c) >.>

Moff Chumley
2009-09-03, 09:07 PM
>.>

The smart snake has it.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-03, 09:50 PM
i have in the past gone after a series of questionable girls - each slightly more mental than the last

i've eventually learnt, but still sometimes get drawn to the occasional one like a bug light

que hilarity for my friends

skywalker
2009-09-03, 10:22 PM
Living at home and commuting to University. What a terrible idea, socially.

Stormthorn
2009-09-03, 10:34 PM
i have in the past gone after a series of questionable girls - each slightly more mental than the last

i've eventually learnt, but still sometimes get drawn to the occasional one like a bug light

I feel kinda like im looking in a pancake mirror.

Although in my case i never really got the girls. Well...one. But in our 8 month relationship we wernt very sexy.

But hey, if you not trying to proposition an emotionaly unstable girl who admits things to you she wont tell anyone else and who's family has security cameras in the house to moniter her and who's boyfriend is a sociopath who puppy skull as a necklace then what fun is the world?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-03, 10:35 PM
But hey, if you not trying to proposition an emotionaly unstable girl who admits things to you she wont tell anyone else and who's family has security cameras in the house to moniter her and who's boyfriend is a sociopath who puppy skull as a necklace then what fun is the world?

...and he was never heard from again. >.>

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-03, 10:36 PM

black comedy at its best - these are the stories of our lives

X2
2009-09-03, 10:37 PM
Subscribing to World of Warcraft...

Oops! I got a raid in 2 minutes *runs off*

Thajocoth
2009-09-03, 11:05 PM
Subscribing to World of Warcraft...

Oops! I got a raid in 2 minutes *runs off*

I've quit that game thrice.

Hmm... Things I was warned about and did anyway... Well, there are a few, but I turned out to be the one who was right in each case. I can't think of any screw-ups. For example: "The video game industry is very hard to get into. It's flooded with people trying to get in. You're better off picking another field. And you won't even have any say in the design of the games you work on." I was hired 2 months after graduation at a small dev studio working on Nintendo DS games who's team sizes were small enough that everyone contributed to the design. Also, I got a game I worked on in college published online.

Closest I can come up with to matching the thread's theme: Despite seeing all the warning signs that the company was sinking, I didn't go to the GDC to find a job at another video game company, so when I got laid off, I wound up working for a share of profits with a new company (which means no salary). It's still loads of fun though, and I get unemployment until I get a check, I work from home now, and I'm taking the opportunity to also take a couple courses to start specializing AND the job I'm doing for this new game company is in my chosen specialization... AND I was starting to stagnate at my previous place. Gotta keep learning to keep growing... So, really... Was it a bad occurrence?

Perhaps I'm just an optimist, seeing good in all my situations, even ones that might be considered bad to most.

Lycan 01
2009-09-03, 11:05 PM
Oh gosh, normally I could list a hundred silly/stupid things I've done... but nothing comes to mind right now. My mom is always telling me she's right and I'm wrong, then I try to prove that I'm right and end up failing miserably. Its usually quite comical, actually... :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-09-03, 11:07 PM
You knew it was a bad idea,but you still went ahead and did it!
Tell me tell me! I wanna know.

I'll start:

Cutting my own hair.

*famous last words: Don't worry, I got this!*

I cut my own hair and it turned out great....

No, really. Not sarcasm.

The Rose Dragon
2009-09-04, 05:01 AM

No, really. Not sarcasm.

Your hair was cut short. That can never turn out great, no matter who does the cutting.

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 05:44 AM

No, really. Not sarcasm.

Lucky you! Well I've had some practise now and it's getting better and better. But the first couple of tries I always got the same reply when I told people I cut my own hair: yeah it shows ...

KuReshtin
2009-09-04, 05:44 AM
People figured it was a generally dubious thing to do when I decided to go visit a bunch of internet buddies in the US. On my own. With not enough money to get me through the three and a half weeks I had to stay for if I'd needed to stay in hotels the entire time.
And hoping that my friends would pick me up at the airport in Nashville.

In the end, things turned out fine, but looking back, there were a lot of things I'd have done differently had I done that trip today.

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 05:55 AM
People figured it was a generally dubious thing to do when I decided to go visit a bunch of internet buddies in the US. On my own. With not enough money to get me through the three and a half weeks I had to stay for if I'd needed to stay in hotels the entire time.
And hoping that my friends would pick me up at the airport in Nashville.

In the end, things turned out fine, but looking back, there were a lot of things I'd have done differently had I done that trip today.

Sounds like quite the journey. Did you ever meet them before that, or was it the first time and you were counting on their benevolence and given word?

Headless_Ninja
2009-09-04, 06:00 AM
Climbing into my house through a window, after friends had managed to lock me out. Was slightly more difficult than I'd anticipated...
I got in though!

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 06:06 AM
Climbing into my house through a window, after friends had managed to lock me out. Was slightly more difficult than I'd anticipated...
I got in though!

Seems like you earned your forum name!

Etcetera
2009-09-04, 06:06 AM
I didn't have a house key on me when I got home, so I find myself doing this:
Climbing over my back gate using a pallet as a ladder, undoing the bolt, walking in, pushing the garden table over to under the balcony, getting a ladder out, putting the ladder on the table, climbing the ladder, stepping across to the edge of the balcony, climbing over the metal fence around the balcony, opening the door, going down the stairs to open the back door... Then finding out I did have the key. Still it was quite fun, if time consuming and rather scary.

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 06:11 AM
I didn't have a house key on me when I got home, so I find myself doing this:
Climbing over my back gate using a pallet as a ladder, undoing the bolt, walking in, pushing the garden table over to under the balcony, getting a ladder out, putting the ladder on the table, climbing the ladder, stepping across to the edge of the balcony, climbing over the metal fence around the balcony, opening the door, going down the stairs to open the back door... Then finding out I did have the key. Still it was quite fun, if time consuming and rather scary.

I am left to wonder where you got the ladder from, and why the balcony door was unlocked :P

Etcetera
2009-09-04, 06:14 AM
I got the ladder from the shed, which was also unlocked. And the balcony door was unlocked because, well, um, er..:smallredface:

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 06:14 AM
I got the ladder from the shed, which was also unlocked. And the balcony door was unlocked because, well, um, er..:smallredface:

Perhaps you should have listed that as one of the crazy things you've done :smallbiggrin:

Etcetera
2009-09-04, 06:19 AM
Well, in that case I ought to admit I've left the window open as well!:smallsmile:

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 06:24 AM
Well, in that case I ought to admit I've left the window open as well!:smallsmile:

Let us hope for your sake no rogues or ninja's are reading this thread :P

Don't think I've ever left a window/door open while being away. Unless you count that one time when I DID leave the door open, then came back and thought somebody had broken in. Scariest 5 min of my life.

daggaz
2009-09-04, 06:27 AM
When I was 20, I announced that not only was I moving out from her evil abode, but that I was moving to Europe. My step-mom told me it was a bad idea, and that I would fail utterly if I tried it.

God I am so glad I never listened to that *****.

KuReshtin
2009-09-04, 06:33 AM
Sounds like quite the journey. Did you ever meet them before that, or was it the first time and you were counting on their benevolence and given word?

Never actually met them before. Just counted on their good nature and trusted their word, saying that I could stay with them and that they'd pick me up.

Pretty awesome journey, though. Toured the South East of the US (TN, NC, SC, GA and LA) and finished off in NY before going back home.

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 06:36 AM
Never actually met them before. Just counted on their good nature and trusted their word, saying that I could stay with them and that they'd pick me up.

Pretty awesome journey, though. Toured the South East of the US (TN, NC, SC, GA and LA) and finished off in NY before going back home.

Sounds like a great experience, one of those moments you'll be thinking back to in 10 years from now and go: glad I did it!

Plan to do that someday, but it'll just be in england, bit smaller and perhaps less frightning

KuReshtin
2009-09-04, 06:39 AM
Sounds like a great experience, one of those moments you'll be thinking back to in 10 years from now and go: glad I did it!

Plan to do that someday, but it'll just be in england, bit smaller and perhaps less frightning

I am thinking right now that "Man, that's over 10 years ago. It was so cool to do that."

V'icternus
2009-09-04, 06:54 AM
People said I shouldn't do Australian History this year.

They were right... :smalltongue:

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 07:02 AM
People said I shouldn't do Australian History this year.

They were right... :smalltongue:

Seems like something you can sum up very shortly:

England wanted to dump their criminals. Criminals cut a path through native people. Steve Irwin! :smalltongue:

:smallannoyed:

V'icternus
2009-09-04, 07:21 AM
You'd think so, but there's the Depression, Vietnam, the Gold Rush, and a lot of other filler material involved as well.

KuReshtin
2009-09-04, 07:21 AM
[bad joke]
If you were to ship all your criminals off to some inhospitable place on the other side of the earth and leave them to fend for themselves for 50 odd years, what would the first thing they'd say to you be, when you came back to see how they were doing?

"G'day, mate."
[/bad joke]

Hoyty
2009-09-04, 09:06 AM
Eating a squid that was cut into slices less than 1 minute after it was cut into said slices.

They said I shouldn't do it! Then we noticed it was still breathing...kinda... and a piece of tentacle grabbed my chopstick. My roommate finished the rest at that point.

The true tragedy was, we thought we were ordering Eel.

I never did get that eel. But the squid was delicious and for some reason my hands and feet were all tingly for about an hour after.

Bellepheron
2009-09-04, 09:13 AM
Eating a squid that was cut into slices less than 1 minute after it was cut into said slices.

They said I shouldn't do it! Then we noticed it was still breathing...kinda... and a piece of tentacle grabbed my chopstick. My roommate finished the rest at that point.

The true tragedy was, we thought we were ordering Eel.

I never did get that eel. But the squid was delicious and for some reason my hands and feet were all tingly for about an hour after.

Ewww that brings back memories.

I was invited to this chinese restaurant and they ordered for me, so I decided to be a good boy and eat whatever they gave me. At one point I got this fried tentacle thing that I was reluctant to eat. I did it, but to this day I still dont know (nor do I want to) what it was.

Ashen Lilies
2009-09-04, 09:16 AM
Squid is yummy. :smallsmile:

I must say though, that experience sounds... unpleasant. I prefer my squid to have been exposed to some sort of heat source first, whether to actually you know... cook it, or just to dry it off and make yummy shredded squid.

Hoyty
2009-09-04, 09:18 AM
I would fly back to Seoul in a second if I had the money and zero obligations here in the US. Awesome food like that squid was to found everywhere. The only disgusting things I found in Korea were:

Chicken Feet - The picture looked like general so's chicken. I noticed the shape and oddly crunchy texture about two pieces into it.

Silkworms Larvae- Not meant for adults, kids eat them to be gross.

Some types of Kimchi - With something like 50+ varieties some kimchi is just bound to taste awful.

Eating in Korea was an experience meant to be enjoyed with friends, at was usually really cheap. That squid meal only cost $12 and was supposed to feed 4. Being the gluttonous US-acins that my roommate and I were we ate the whole thing.

Talwar
2009-09-04, 07:51 PM
She told me it was a bad idea to go to work that day, but after two days of odd muscle spasms, I felt fine.

Turns out the kidney stone was just moving closer to its ultimate destination.

Eldariel
2009-09-04, 08:12 PM
I once read /b/ on 4chan for a little while. That left me scarred for life.

Other than that, a few too many to count. I've been told not to try ~60-degree slopes with a bike. Of course I had to go for it.

I've literally climbed to every place imaginable (as a kid) including all the ones I've been told not to 'cause "You are too heavy" or "It's dangerous" or whatever. Yes, I've fallen a few times, and yes, branches have broken beneath me. And I've jumped down about 5 meters to asphalt (from atop our backyard storehouse) for the hell of it.

I've also taken one of my matriculation exams skipping one night's sleep (that was English, actually). Surprisingly enough, I scored well. The worst part was that I drove there (~35km trip)...after a day of no sleep. I've since been told not sleeping for a night is about equal to a 1.5 promille intoxication.

Thajocoth
2009-09-05, 12:27 AM
I got in though!

I did that once. Locked door, no one home, no house key. My bro left his window unlocked. I climbed in, landed on his bed, rolled off without getting shoe-dirt on it... Good times.

-----

My parents, actually have a good lock-out story. I had an apartment in Manhattan, on 34th street, two blocks from Javits. The building is 162 years old. I went up to Windham to go snowboarding this one weekend. The weekend of February 14th, 2009. You know, this passed Valentine's Day? That weekend was also Toy Fair at Javits. My mother sells toys on the internet. She always gets invited to a free very fancy dinner with some people from the company that she resells toys from each Toy Fair, and can bring a guest. Therefore, my parents stayed at my apartment and were dressed for going to a fancy place.

My mom called me when the key broke off in the lock. I explained that my fire escape window should be unlocked. My dad went to the roof and climbed down some ladder, which the bricks holding it's upper portion were loose on. He jumped from there onto the fire escape. ...Still in his dinner clothes. So, someone looks out. (It's not my floor he landed on.) So he explains to them that he's not a burglar pointing out how he's dressed as proof of this fact... He gets to my window & it won't budge.

My mom calls me again and describes all of the above. We're trying to think up what to do, and my dad's got an idea apparently, so, without knowing the idea, we hang up. The next time she calls, she's in my apartment. My dad got a drill and removed the lock, apparently, and needs another key to put it back on. I think and think and... I actually made a spare copy because the landlord wanted a copy of my key and they never came to pick it up. It takes a few tries to remember where exactly I hid it, but they find it. Crisis solved.

EDIT: Turns out, my fire escape window WAS unlocked, it just can't be opened from the outside.

Bellepheron
2009-09-05, 04:16 AM
I remember a stupid thing I did as a kid. Me and my bro used to play by this small river (canal really, if you want to use the correct term). It had rained so my shoes were covered in mud, I decided to clean them before I went home. I sat by the river, put my shoes halfway in it to clean them, then when I was done I thought, hmmm how do I get out of here without getting my shoes dirty again? I stood up and there was this wooden edge on the side of the river, I decided to stand on it for a while until I figured out how to escape.

Wood+slippery shoes= yup, I fell into the water. For a moment I felt like I was in another dimension, with red eyes staring at me. Instead of coming home with clean shoes I came home with green stuff sticking on me.

arguskos
2009-09-05, 04:23 AM

As my father says, "Be careful of the crazy ones. They're the best in bed... but the price you pay is their insanity. Enjoy your time, but use with caution."

Anyways, the most foolish thing I've ever done that I was told was stupid? Eh... it's not really forum-appropriate, but suffice to say that it involved a can of shaving cream, , a homemade trebuchet, a few drinking games, and enough whiskey to fill the Bering Strait, among other things.

Jimorian
2009-09-05, 06:39 AM
I remember a stupid thing I did as a kid. Me and my bro used to play by this small river (canal really, if you want to use the correct term). It had rained so my shoes were covered in mud, I decided to clean them before I went home. I sat by the river, put my shoes halfway in it to clean them, then when I was done I thought, hmmm how do I get out of here without getting my shoes dirty again? I stood up and there was this wooden edge on the side of the river, I decided to stand on it for a while until I figured out how to escape.

Wood+slippery shoes= yup, I fell into the water. For a moment I felt like I was in another dimension, with red eyes staring at me. Instead of coming home with clean shoes I came home with green stuff sticking on me.

You're Swamp Thing? :smallconfused: