PDA

View Full Version : What systems are people playing these days?

Brasswatchman
2009-09-03, 08:42 PM
Corollary to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123772) - back when I was programming said tracker, I was trying to cover as many initiative systems that I could think of. This led me to realize I didn't really have any clue what systems people are playing these days aside from 4e and d20.

This leads me to ask - is anyone playing a game in a system that isn't d20-based right now? If so, what system or systems are you using? And how does initiative (or whatever the equivalent mechanic is) work in those systems? I'd appreciate the help.

Brasswatchman
2009-09-03, 08:44 PM
(P.S. - Alternity and Shadowrun 4/3 are out, I'm afraid. They were just too differently mechanically for me to be able to fit those in. Also, I believe I have White Wolf covered - someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-03, 08:45 PM
Until I had to move, I was playing Adventure Quest:Jaern(no relation to the computer game, FYI), where the party and the DM roll 2d6 opposed, all on the same side act simultaneously.

Kallisti
2009-09-03, 08:47 PM
Corollary to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123772) - back when I was programming said tracker, I was trying to cover as many initiative systems that I could think of. This led me to realize I didn't really have any clue what systems people are playing these days aside from 4e and d20.

This leads me to ask - is anyone playing a game in a system that isn't d20-based right now? If so, what system or systems are you using? And how does initiative (or whatever the equivalent mechanic is) work in those systems? I'd appreciate the help.

GURPS 4e. GURPS is a really, really great system. It does a lot of things better than 3.5 or 4e D&D, although I still love both. GURPS initiative is based of Basic Speed. Basically, character move in order of Basic Speed, and roll off for ties. It's simple and elegant, but has no element of randomness.

CockroachTeaParty
2009-09-03, 08:47 PM
Well, before I moved, I was playing 3.5 D&D regularly. Now, I'm very alone... :smallfrown:

Brasswatchman
2009-09-03, 08:48 PM
Until I had to move, I was playing Adventure Quest:Jaern(no relation to the computer game, FYI), where the party and the DM roll 2d6 opposed, all on the same side act simultaneously.

Huh. That's interesting. So was it the total of 2d6, or was it success-based, or what?

Brasswatchman
2009-09-03, 08:51 PM
GURPS 4e. GURPS is a really, really great system. It does a lot of things better than 3.5 or 4e D&D, although I still love both. GURPS initiative is based of Basic Speed. Basically, character move in order of Basic Speed, and roll off for ties. It's simple and elegant, but has no element of randomness.

Ah, was wondering how GURPS works. So, basically, it's like Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System in that initiative is ability-based. That's interesting. If I might ask, what dice do you roll for ties?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-03, 08:53 PM
Huh. That's interesting. So was it the total of 2d6, or was it success-based, or what?2d6 opposed, +1 for each succesive round you've lost init, ties go to the PCs.

Brasswatchman
2009-09-03, 08:53 PM
Well, before I moved, I was playing 3.5 D&D regularly. Now, I'm very alone... :smallfrown:

Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, I'm having a hard time getting a group together these days because all of my friends who are into RPGs are moving away.

Kylarra
2009-09-03, 08:55 PM
In addition to the standard D&D stuff, Scion.

Initiative for scion is a Wits (stat) + Awareness (skill) roll, opposed by everyone else to determine what tick you start on.

Temet Nosce
2009-09-03, 09:05 PM
Spirit of the Century (just finished up), which uses FATE 3 which is based on FUDGE. Initiative is a fudge roll (basically four dice with + and - sides) that you add a skill (Alertness I seem to recall) to, and determine the results (which are labeled in phrases like Good, Great, Superb, and Legendary (for +3, +4, +5, and +6). You can also apply an "aspect" which is basically something about the situation which could motivate your character (I.E. if your character had an aspect tied to being paid, and was doing mercenary work that required making the roll) to either reroll or add +2 to the roll.

Brasswatchman
2009-09-03, 09:05 PM
Initiative for scion is a Wits (stat) + Awareness (skill) roll, opposed by everyone else to determine what tick you start on.

(runs off and takes a look at the Quick Start Rules.)

Okay, looks like it's success-based, right? I'm sorry to say that I don't think I can cover it. Thanks for mentioning it, though! I appreciate it!

Raum
2009-09-03, 09:14 PM
Savage Worlds (http://www.peginc.com/downloads.html), which I recommend...however it uses a deck of cards for initiative. May not be something you wish to include in your tracker. :)

Temet Nosce
2009-09-03, 09:24 PM
I somehow completely missed that this thread was to get more games onto your init roller. Fudge in plain dice is 4d3-8.

PirateMonk
2009-09-03, 09:41 PM
Ah, was wondering how GURPS works. So, basically, it's like Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System in that initiative is ability-based. That's interesting. If I might ask, what dice do you roll for ties?

GURPS uses d6s for everything.

Glimbur
2009-09-03, 09:49 PM
Wuthering Heights. Something has gone horribly wrong if it comes to initiative.

That said, duels are opposed Rage checks.

Full rules available free and legal here. (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html)

Brasswatchman
2009-09-03, 10:26 PM

Oh, dear God. Someone went and made a Gothic fiction roleplaying game. I'm either amazed or horrified. Maybe a bit of both. :D

valadil
2009-09-03, 10:46 PM
I'm doing two GURPs games, Mage, and occasional 4e Living Realms games. There was some talk of trying Pathfinder next. I'd also like to run some demos of a system I'm writing, but that doesn't count.

bosssmiley
2009-09-04, 06:09 AM

That said, duels are opposed Rage checks.

Full rules available free and legal here. (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html)

How very... French. :smallannoyed:

It certainly bespeaks a unique and carefully cultivated derangement.

Some original rules were not translated; in the French version, you'll find rules about large battles, psionic powers, vampyres, martial arts and more ...

I do like the Problems table though.

29-31 - You are honest
32-35 - You are in love with someone from your family (Mother, Brother ...)
41 - You play the bagpipes (1 hour a day)
57-59 - You dress improperly
78 - You are a foreigner (French, German...)
80-81 - You are obsessed by the occult

You are four times as likely to have squicky incest desires as to be a bagpipe player or foreigner. Also, alcoholism and drug addiction are social faux pas equivalent to dressing improperly or playing the piano.

This man's unashamedly Gallic worldview worries me on the profoundest levels. I begin to think Michael Moorcock's "Hawkmoon" saga was less a satirical fantasy, and more a blueprint of what must be done to France... :smallconfused:

On-topic: Labyrinth Lord. 1d6+Init mod. Rolled each round.

Lamech
2009-09-04, 06:19 AM
Rolemaster. Its IIRC roll 2d10 and add all your assorted bonuses (quickness mainly).

Project_Mayhem
2009-09-04, 06:20 AM
Planning to run Cthulhu when all the players get back from all their silly backwater countries.:smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2009-09-04, 06:24 AM
ShadowRun (3rd edition, d6-pool based system): d6+Reaction attribute+modifiers (both additional dice and fixed numbers). For every multiple of 10, you get another complex action/two simple actions for that turn.

DeGenesis (German postapocalyptic RPG, 2d10 based): Order determined by value of Initiative skill, no dice involved. People can spend Action Points before each round to increase their Initiative rating for this round.

Call of Cthulhu (d100 based): ...you know, we have combat so rarely there, I have totally forgotten how initiative was determined in that system. :smallredface:

A fantasy RPG I created myself with friends (d100 based): Order determined by value of one ability score, fixed.

Other systems I play or played, but either freeform only or so long ago I've forgotten how exactly their initiative systems worked: World of Darkness, Fading Sun, KULT, Endland, The Dark Eye, MechWarrior RPG. Might be forgetting some.

Oh yeah, and recently also D&D 3rd edition.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-04, 06:49 AM

Well, yes. Paranoia comes to mind (which doesn't have initiative, at least not when we play it).

Whitewolf has already been mentioned.

There's also 2E, which works on 1d10 + a modifier for the weapon or spell you're using, and low goes first.

golentan
2009-09-04, 12:36 PM
I'm playing traveller. The basic mechanic is 2d6 + ability + skill + DM (dice modifier, really difficulty). 8+ succeeds, or highest succeeds in an opposed check.

So initiative is actually 2d6 + Dex + Tactics Skill Check Effect + Leadership (sometimes). If someone is ambushed, the ambusher has an automatic 12 on init.

Diamondeye
2009-09-04, 12:54 PM
3.5 and 3.5 only.

Morty
2009-09-04, 01:15 PM
We used to play 3.5 D&D. Recently, I've ran a WFRP 2ed adventure, but the system doesn't seem to have enthralled my group, so I'm wondering what should we try next. Maybe, GURPS, maybe Shadowrun or World of Darkness. Attempts to run Call of Ctulhu in our group would have disastrous results, so though I'm tempted to try it, I won't. Perhaps I'll manage to cobble enough together in my system to run an adventure or two, though it's d20-based.
As far as initiative goes, I have no idea how it works in any of the systems I'd like to play, but in WFRP, you simply roll a d10 and add an attribute.

YPU
2009-09-04, 01:25 PM
4e Mutants and Masterminds and savage worlds as wel, tough that is probably hard to script using cards and all.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 01:32 PM
Monday game: 4th edition D&D.
Thursday game: Pathfinder
Sunday game: Vampire the Masquerade
Intermittent game: Ninjas and Superspies, Rifts, or Systems Failure

Play by post games: Shadowrun 4e, Palladium Fantasy, Rifts, Nightbane, Robotech

Mastikator
2009-09-04, 01:33 PM
Used to play a lot of Drakar och Demoner, some D&D 3.5e and also tried getting a little into Dark Heresy.
But it's hard to get the group to... meet.

JeenLeen
2009-09-04, 01:37 PM
Was playing D&D 3.5.

Soon starting Mage: The Ascension.
From what I recall, which might be mistaken, Initiative is done by rolling a dice pool of d10s determined by Alertness (an ability) and Dexterity (an attribute.) If you have 1 Alertness and 3 Dexterity, you roll 4d10.

A cool thing about the system is that the lowest init declares what they plan to do first, but act last. So the person who wins init gets to plan their move knowing what everyone else is doing. (A person with low init can change what they do, but it gets a penalty.)

TheThan
2009-09-04, 01:56 PM
My bro is playing Dark Heresy
I’m playing in a 3.5 game myself.

Teln
2009-09-04, 03:06 PM
Bring LOTS of d10's if you're playing Exalted.

Hawriel
2009-09-05, 01:12 AM
Star Wars 2nd Ed (d6)

Person with the highest perseption on each side rolls the stat for initiative. Each side has their members act in order of perseption score highest to lowest.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-09-05, 01:15 AM
Original Deadlands:

Instead of rolling for Initiative as in most other RPGs, the players make a "speed" roll on the bones — the exact number and type being rolled determined by each character's stats — and then draw a number of cards from a community playing card deck based on the results of that roll. The Marshal then calls out card values, starting from Aces and going all the way down to Deuces. The card's suit (in reverse alphabetical order) indicates who goes first if the same value of card is drawn.

Have fun :smallamused:

Semidi
2009-09-05, 01:19 AM
I play a lot of World of Darkness (both new and old). I have loads of d10s.

Kiero
2009-09-05, 07:25 AM
Currently playing a short run of D&D4e (I'm playing a two-weapon Ranger). The game before that was FATE/SotC. And the one we're returning to once D&D is done is WFRP2e. There might be a Wushu one shot run by yours truly next week for the players who aren't on holiday the next two weeks.

To answer the question, the way initiative works in FATE/SotC is in order of Alertness (no rolling), tie breaks broken by Resolve.

In WFRP you roll a D10 and add your Agility Bonus.

In Wushu everything is simultaneous, mechanically, no matter what's going on narratively.

Friv
2009-09-05, 10:08 AM
Currently playing Exalted, and Changeling: The Lost, both great games.

Probably going to try a game of Serenity (Cortex system) when we finish Changeling.

Indon
2009-09-05, 02:26 PM
Bring LOTS of d10's if you're playing Exalted.

Oh, yes.

But not for 1st ed Exalted initiative, which is 1d10+Wits+Dex, if I recall.

2nd ed Exalted initiative (a 'Join Battle' action) is way more complex than that. It's like, roll your Dex, subtract the highest amount from 10 or something?

I don't remember.

Brasswatchman
2009-09-13, 02:30 AM
Savage Worlds (http://www.peginc.com/downloads.html), which I recommend...however it uses a deck of cards for initiative. May not be something you wish to include in your tracker. :)

Actually... that might be entirely possible. Obviously, it wouldn't be of much use around the gaming table, but maybe for online games and play-by-post games? ... Hm. Let me see what I can do.

Aux-Ash
2009-09-13, 02:46 AM
In my favorite system, Eon, each participant of the battle begins with rolling against a initiative trait (based partly on combat skill and partly on attributes). If the roll is succesful the player may choose between going on the offensive or the defensive. If the roll is failed then the player may only use defensive manouvers.

As the battle then progresses the defensive player will get many opportunities to take the initiative from the attacker. The battle keeps going back and forth until a victor has been established.

Archers and spellcasters are exempt from the initative though, archers always go first and spellcasters always go last (if they're shooting or casting spells that is, if they've joined the thick of the melee same rule applies as to the others).

JadedDM
2009-09-13, 03:53 AM
I'm running 2E AD&D and also playing in two pbp games (one 2E and another is Labyrinth Lord).

VKO
2009-09-13, 04:24 AM
I have played recently: D&D 3.5, GURPS, Scion, and Burning Wheel.

In Burning Wheel, everyone acts a certain number of times each round. They split up these actions evenly over each volley and write them down on a piece of paper. Then they each read off their actions, going around the table, and the GM decides how they interact.

Mind you, you need to script parry to avoid direct attacks, but some specific attacks don't allow a defense.

There are three volleys in each round and the actions are split up into these. Other little bits of the system make this more balanced (like more deadly weapons requiring an action in between strikes) but it's an interesting way of handling initiative that reminds me in some ways of 2nd edition.

My personal favorite is still Paranoia's initiative system though.:smallbiggrin:

"I shoot him." "I dodge it!" "I start building a bomb!"

And they do those things in that order.

KIDS
2009-09-13, 07:10 AM
4E D&D here mostly, and a bit of 3.5 D&D and Call of Cthulhu. I also tried a Deadlands game, but it never got off the ground sadly.

DeathQuaker
2009-09-13, 08:17 AM
Currently playing Pathfinder (d20) and Spirit of the Century, which someone else noted (oddly, I don't think in our games SotC we really roll initiative).

Tam_OConnor
2009-09-13, 12:07 PM
Systems: Working on my own 3.5 riff, where Initiative = 10 + Dex mod + miscellaneous modifiers. Characters declare action in ascending order, and act in descending order.

Cortex system (Serenity), currently being shang-haied into running Star Wars: Essentially the same as d20: roll Agility and Alertness, add together; highest goes first.

Lycar
2009-09-13, 03:32 PM

Oh that would be Das Schwarze Auge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Schwarze_Auge) (or DSA for short) for me.

Initiative is rolled as (Initiative Base Value) + 1D6 - Encumberance at the start of the combat. Encumberance is determined both by the actual weight you carry and also how cumbersome your armour is.

Initiative Base Value is (in case anyone cares) is determind by adding some of your attributes (Courage + Courage + Intuition + Agility) and dividing by 5.

Characters can learn special talents to boost initiative and reduce the encumberance from armour. Fighter types pay less experince points for such talents, depending on what fighting style they chose, or rather, which fighting school they graduated from.

And yes, having a diploma from a fighter school is actually worth something: You are legally allowed to wield two-handers and wear certain kinds of armour. Plus you get paid extra if you hire out as a mercenary. :smallamused:

Thatguyoverther
2009-09-13, 04:09 PM
I currently play 3.5 and Hero System.

In Hero System uses all d6s and initiative is determined by you Dex stat. A person with a 30 goes before a 24 who goes before a 14. But rounds are different. Every character has a Speed characteristic as well, usually between 1 and 12. Your speed determines the number of times you get to take a one second phase in a given 12 second turn. So someone might have a 30 Dex, but the person with higher speed might go first in the round if they take a phase before the person with 30 Dex.

If two characters act in the same phase and have the same dex, they make opposed dex rolls, and who ever makes their roll by more wins.

There are exceptions to this. Like the lightning reflexes power which increases your dex, but only to act first in a turn.