PDA

View Full Version : Every Man For Himself!

ondonaflash
2009-09-04, 01:00 AM
Hypothetical Situation: Under what circumstances would it be morally acceptable, if not morally correct to declare "Every Man For Himself"? The more specific you can be the better.

skywalker
2009-09-04, 01:08 AM
When one and his group of friends walk into a room full of women for whom none of the men have previous intentions.

Otherwise? I can't think of many situations. Humanity, historically, has profited from sticking together.

thubby
2009-09-04, 01:33 AM
in a situation where cooperation is impossible and all involved have comparable losses on the table. (the fight for the last of the food without a child involved, for example)

the issue is trivial (last tickle me elmo, most reality TV)

or when cooperation would be dangerous (needing to split up to throw off pursuers)

Crossblade
2009-09-04, 03:41 AM
First thing that comes to mind:
A good, ol' fashioned game of Twister!

Starlong
2009-09-04, 03:56 AM
First thing that comes to mind:
A good, ol' fashioned game of Twister!

Better still, a crazy and modernised game of Twister :smalltongue:

V'icternus
2009-09-04, 07:49 AM
If there are four of you, being chased by three Velociraptors.

Or any combination where there are more opponents chasing you than you have team members.

Also, when fighting over internet time.

Ashen Lilies
2009-09-04, 08:38 AM
Actually, if I were with three other people against a group of three velociraptors, I'd be all like "**** yeah!" and gang up with my buddies to beat the crap out of those oversized turkeys, before moving to hide behind the largest one.
Then I'd realize that my friends ran off without me and get swarmed and eaten by the little bastards. v.v

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-04, 09:21 AM
playing munchkin

life-or-death situations. If im in a situation where we're either both going to die, or i can survive if you die... you're snuffing it. I won't lose much sleep over it either. Sorry.

T-O-E
2009-09-04, 10:55 AM
Actually, if I were with three other people against a group of three velociraptors, I'd be all like "**** yeah!" and gang up with my buddies to beat the crap out of those regular sized turkeys, before moving to hide behind the largest one.
Then I'd realize that my friends ran off without me and get swarmed and eaten by the little bastards. v.v

Really?
http://geology.rockbandit.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/velociraptor-size.jpg

:smalltongue:

Now, if they were utahraptors...

Haruki-kun
2009-09-04, 11:09 AM
Hypothetical Situation: Under what circumstances would it be morally acceptable, if not morally correct to declare "Every Man For Himself"? The more specific you can be the better.

When answering school tests, probably.

Hell Puppi
2009-09-04, 11:56 PM
Basically, whenever food is involved.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-04, 11:59 PM
Basically, whenever food is involved.

...remind me not to get in the way of your dinner. =P

Faulty
2009-09-05, 12:03 AM
A life or death situation in which it is only possible for a single individual to escape alive, and trying to help others will not work and will only result in both or all of you dying. So I'm talking about not just a life or death situation, I'm talking an EXTREME life or death situation.

In no other condition can I think of that being acceptable.

Ichneumon
2009-09-05, 01:18 AM
A life or death situation in which it is only possible for a single individual to escape alive, and trying to help others will not work and will only result in both or all of you dying. So I'm talking about not just a life or death situation, I'm talking an EXTREME life or death situation.

I second this. I completely agree.

Randel
2009-09-05, 03:18 PM

And even then if no better way could be found to solve the problem, to prevent everyone from dying due people fighting each other.

Alternatively, if you are playing a game or taking a test whose specific purpose is to score each person individually.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-09-05, 11:30 PM
Group invite to a party at the Playboy Mansion. 'Nuff said. :smallwink:

V'icternus
2009-09-06, 12:52 AM
Bor, your wisdom goes deep.

...Now I just need to get invited to one of those parties, and I can prove it!

kpenguin
2009-09-06, 01:02 AM

Isn't that a bit... extreme?

SDF
2009-09-06, 01:06 AM
Clearly when you are right and they are wrong.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-06, 08:21 AM
Isn't that a bit... extreme?

nope - theres been cases for it under UK law

Ichneumon
2009-09-06, 08:53 AM
Now I think of it, isn't valueing your own life fundementally above that of others ehm... ego-ism? Like with racism, you value someone's life differently based on their race and with this "ego-ism" you value someone's life differently based on whether you are that someone or somebody else. So if you wouldn't want to be an "egoist" you'd have to see that in any situation it's best to be altruistic and help each other as that would mean more people survive. The fact that you might or might not be part of the group that survives is irrelevant.

*I do not principly agree with what I just said, I just thought it was an interesting deduction.

Faulty
2009-09-06, 08:58 AM
Now I think of it, isn't valueing your own life fundementally above that of others ehm... ego-ism? Like with racism, you value someone's life differently based on their race and with this "ego-ism" you value someone's life differently based on whether you are that someone or somebody else. So if you wouldn't want to be an "egoist" you'd have to see that in any situation it's best to be altruistic and help each other as that would mean more people survive. The fact that you might or might not be part of the group that survives is irrelevant.

*I do not principly agree with what I just said, I just thought it was an interesting deduction.

In a situation where it's literally you or someone else, I don't blame you for trying to save yourself instead of sacrificing yourself. Otherwise, I'd say it's egoist and unethical. I value my life, but it's not worth more than any other person's*.

*I mean person, not human being. I consider myself more important than, say, a severely mentally disabled individual. Even then, it's important to consider the needs of every being. Hence me being a vegan.

Ichneumon
2009-09-06, 09:29 AM
In a situation where it's literally you or someone else, I don't blame you for trying to save yourself instead of sacrificing yourself. Otherwise, I'd say it's egoist and unethical. I value my life, but it's not worth more than any other person's*.

*I mean person, not human being. I consider myself more important than, say, a severely mentally disabled individual. Even then, it's important to consider the needs of every being. Hence me being a vegan.

I agree, obviously. Including the notion that some human beings are not persons.

Nameless
2009-09-06, 10:13 AM

Wait... But if you put someone else’s life before yours, aren't you still valuing one life over another? :smallconfused:

Ichneumon
2009-09-06, 10:15 AM
Wait... But if you put someone else’s life before yours, aren't you still valuing one life over another? :smallconfused:

Only if you value others more than you. You should value everyone the same, meaning that the best thing in any life-death situation is that as many people survive and in most cases this is working together, even if it means lowering your own personal chance of surviving. You should be indifferent about who it actually is that survives...

However, I think this line of reasoning is very likely to get into other problems.

kpenguin
2009-09-06, 10:21 AM

What, its literally illegal to say "Every Man for Himself!" in the UK unless in those circumstances. In the States, I can say it as much as I like...

Ichneumon
2009-09-06, 10:22 AM
What, its literally illegal to say "Every Man for Himself!" in the UK unless in those circumstances. In the States, I can say it as much as I like...

This reminds me of a Sienfeld episode...

Berserk Monk
2009-09-06, 12:18 PM
Any sort of game so long as losing wouldn't be something like death or some other form of harm.

Vmag
2009-09-06, 12:34 PM
Romance, naturally. Anyone who has ever been in a relationship for a full minute knows that boyfriends are meant to be replaced. It took me a while to figure it out, but, if no other guy out there cares that the lady's with you and will whisk her out from under your feet, then by all means, return the favour :smallamused:

Orzel
2009-09-06, 12:35 PM
Risk.

Risk can get ugly when you don't

kpenguin
2009-09-06, 12:37 PM
Risk.

Risk can get ugly when you don't

Oh yeah, definitely.

Really, I think limiting "Every Man for Himself!" life or death situations is really extreme. Not everything would be benefited from cooperation and some things would be harmed by it.

Gamerlord
2009-09-06, 12:44 PM
Roleplaying games. end of story.

Except when you're playing a good character and it will earn you roleplaying XP for sticking together :)

loopy
2009-09-06, 02:22 PM
Group invite to a party at the Playboy Mansion. 'Nuff said. :smallwink:

Now now, good mates who have a level of trust will do better at playing the field than one man on his own, unless he has some fantastic skill with the ladies.

snoopy13a
2009-09-06, 03:36 PM

The Queen v. Dudley and Stephens?

littlequietguy
2009-09-08, 08:11 PM
When you are all placed in a arena with bomb collars around your neck, forced to kill the others or the bomb collar will detonate.