PDA

View Full Version : PEACH please on my soulknife retool

Samb
2009-09-04, 02:39 AM
I did this for a PbP game and wanted to see everyone else's reaction to it. I only had 1-10 in the original post but here I present the full 1-20. The latter 11-20 is more just an expansion on 1-10 and were I really could use the help. This was based off psylocke of x-men and that gangster from YuYu Hakusho so if it bares little resemblance to star wars you know why.
Bolded stuff are new.

http://www.reappropriate.com/aaheroes/images/psylocke.jpg

One more just because I love her!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/c/ca/20081006215518!Psylocke-aoa.jpg
Hit Dice= d10
Weapon proficiency: simple and martial
Armor proficiency: Light only
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Mind Blade, weapon focus (mind blade), Wild talent

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Throw mind blade, Mind blade +1

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Synaptic Overload 2/encounter

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|mind blade +2, PLA: false sensory input 3/day

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4| Twin mind blades, free draw

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+5|Mind blade +3, Speed of thought

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+5|Synaptic Lancet, PLA: offensive precognition 3/day

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+6|Mind Blade +4

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+6|Blade wind, Improved Synaptic Overload

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+7|Mind Blade +5, PLA: defensive precognition 3/day

11th|
+11|
+3|
+7|
+7|Improved mind blade throw (60 feet), PLA: Hustle 1/encounter

12th|
+12|
+4|
+8|
+8|Mind blade +6, PLA: Dimensional Cut 3/day

13th|
+13|
+4|
+8|
+8|Enduring overload

14th|
+14|
+4|
+9|
+9|Mind blade +7

15th|
+15|
+5|
+9|
+9| PLA: Planer Cut 1/day

16th|
+16|
+5|
+10|
+10|Mind blade +8

17th|
+17|
+5|
+10|
+10|Greater mind blade throw 90 feet

18th|
+18|
+6|
+11|
+11|Mind Blade +9

19th|
+19|
+6|
+11|
+11|Blade tornado

20th|
+20|
+6|
+12|
+12|Mind Blade +10
[/table]

Mind Blade:
Draw action: part of move action, at 5th level a soulknife can draw her mindblades as a free action.
Shape and damage: Can take the shape of any weapon soulknife is proficient in. Standard action to change its shape.
Enhancements: the combined bonuses cannot exceed the max. So a level 10 soulknife could spend all 5 bonus on making a coup de grace greatsword or a soulbreaker greatsword +2. A soulblade can change these bonuses by meditating for one hour. A weapon cannot have an enchantment bonus of greater than +5 until level 22, and can put any magical or psionic enchantment.
Size: a mind blade's size can be increased to large size but counts as +2 bonus, or huge as a +4 bonus. Since the mind blade has no real weight the user incurs no penalties on attack rolls.
Weight: Mind blade is basically weightless and made of pure telekinetic energy. Hence, it is treated as a light weapon regardless of shape or size.
Hardness and Hit points: For each +1 the mind blade gains +2 to hardness and HP. At 20 (+5) hardness it acts as an adamantine weapon. If sundered the soulknife can manifest another one the next turn.
Special: Mind blade are "smart" in that they do not hurt the wielder nor collide with eachother if one is used in each hand. The penalties for fighting with two weapons are reduced to -4 on the primary and -6 (without TWF feats).

Synaptic Overload: Soulknife can turn her mind blade into a blade of pure telepathic power as a free action once per turn. On the next attack this telepathic blade now deals no damage but can go through skin, metal, bone, and muscle to reach the nerves that they resonate with. On impact the telepathic impulses overload the nerves of the target and momentarily disrupt the nervous functions of the target. After each synaptic attack the mind blade returns to its normal telekinetic nature.(so you can't keep spamming it). Meta: since a telepathic blade deals no damage it is considered an unarmed strike.
To do this a soulknife must make a called melee strike (deals lethal damage) or a ranged attack with throw mind blade. Making a called attack incurs penalties depending on how hard the target is to hit. If opponents are flat footed no penalties are incurred. Call a synaptic attack before your attack roll.

Target arms: -2 to hit the arms. By hitting the nerves of the arm the target becomes uncoordinated and weak and receive a -2 on all attack rolls for 1d4+1 rounds.

Target legs/lower torso: -4 to hit. By attacking the nerves of the legs you slow your targets movements at half speed for 1d4+1 rounds.

Target chest: -6 to hit. By attacking the heart and lungs you disrupt the oxygen carrying function of the body, your victim is fatigued for 1d4+1 rounds

Target head: -8 to hit. By hitting the nerve rich center of the head the victim must make a will save DC= 10+ WIS modifier+ 1/2 class levels or is instantly dazed for 1d4+1 rounds. As usual, a dazed creature is not helpless and an attacker gains no bonuses for attacking a dazed target.

PLA: false sensory input: A soulknife can only use this on a target she has hit with synaptic overload. Once hit with her telepathic blade, a soulknife can then seed a small piece of her will into the victim to fool his senses as per the power of the same name. The DC for this PLA is 13+CHR modifier, the ML is 1/2 class levels.

Synaptic Lancet: at 7th level the soulblade can now drain neural impulses from her victims and convert it into psionic power for her use. Each time she does this can gain an extra use of her one of her PLAs or synaptic overload feature. A soulknife can use this ability 4/day as a standard action. If the target was a psionic creature, they also lose their psionic focus while regaining her own. She cannot use this feature in conjunction with synaptic overload.

PLA: offensive and defensive precog: just like the power, use 1/2 class level to determine ML.

Twin mind blades: at level 5 the soulknife can now create another mindblade in her offhand. She does not gain the benefits of TWF.

Improved Synaptic Overload: Your synaptic attacks are now even more devastating to the weak willed. If the target fails a will save DC=10+WIS modifer+1/2 class levels after being hit by a telepathic blade the following effect occur:
arm: -5 to attack rolls
leg: treat as entangled
chest: treat as exhausted
head: treat as stunned

Even if the target makes his save, he will still be under the effect of synaptic overload. If the victim of a head shot succeeds his will save he is allowed another will save to avoid being dazed. You can still only use synaptic overload once during your turn.

Improved and Grater mindblade throw: The range increment for throwing a mind blade increases to 60 and 90 feet respectively.

Dimension cut: You can now cut through time and space itself with your mind blade to teleport 400 feet. This is a PLA and can be recharged with synaptic lancet.

Planar cut: You can now cut through the existential fabric of the multiverse to reach different planes of existence. This is a PLA and can be recharged with synaptic lancet.

Enduring overload: The charge you leave in your victim's body lingers longer than usual. The effects off synaptic overload last 2d4+1 rounds instead of 1d4+1 rounds.

Blade Tornado: Same as blade wind but a soulknife of this level of mastery can make two attacks at full BAB against all threatened squares as a full turn action.

Mulletmanalive
2009-09-04, 06:43 AM
With a 1 for 1 attack bonus progression, you don't need a weapon that goes to +10. This puts the class far above the curve of advised magical equipment. Capping out at +6 to +7 would probably be ok.

Second, the ability to inflict penalties every round without penalty is absurdly good. Limit the number of uses per day or encounter or make it a Move action. I don't remember Psylocke being able to do this sort of crap nearly as easily as this character can.

I like that you've kept an actual psionic power influence in the class but you've added far too much to the basic class so far.

Samb
2009-09-04, 08:57 AM
So a fighter with a +10 weapon by level 20 is overpowered? I thought was very practical since a mindblade is the only weapon a soulknife will ever use.

I probaly should point out that the buffs are not cumulative with themselves. Also the buffs on mind blade do not apply to synaptic overload. So not only are you taking a penalty for called shots, you also lose enchantment bonus. Half movement and -2 on attack are kinda weak, but the only real options since you only have your BAB and STR/DEX modifer.

Psylocke dropped people with one head shot by overloading their brains, when she hits an arm it feels like she cut your arm off. The planar and dimensional cut are from Yu Yu hukasho's Kawabawa.

Zaydos
2009-09-04, 10:16 AM
Depends upon the enemy whether you'll be able to hit the head and there are a lot of ways to gain attack bonuses that aren't magic weapon enhancement. Things like weapon focus, ioun stones (I think it's a green one that grants a +1 competence bonus to attack rolls among a list of other rolls), etc. Even without these things a fighter with a +5 weapon can hit on a 2 with his 2nd attack at 20th level. Now this would make them need a 10 with their primary attack to make it so that the opponent cannot act for at least 3 round and most likely 6. So the called shot problem isn't that big of one.
As for their +10 weapon the Expanded Psionics Handbook you should keep it where it can't be more than +5 and not give them the ability to waive that limit at 20th level which how it is worded now allows. For epic levels you might give them an enhancement cap of 5 + your level -20 allowing them to have really good epic weapons really quickly. There is a reason, though, that they do cap non-epic weapons at +5.
Otherwise I love the idea of making Soulknives actually work, and of actively basing them on psylock. The synaptic overload ability is cool but needs to be toned down or limited somehow for balance.

Samb
2009-09-05, 12:08 PM
I changed the synaptic overload to only 2/encounter but can be recharged with lancet, so at it's best you can debuff once every other turn assuming you hit both times. I will add that you can't use lancet and overload together.

I thought I mentioned that the total enchantment could not be higher than 5 until after level 20 already. I don't think having a combined +10 enchantment weapon at level 20 is overpowered so I'm not changing that. The earliest this soulknife could get a +6 epic weapon would be level 22 anyway since it increases every even number. If anything the soulknife's weapon is gimp for an epic character.

Gorgondantess
2009-09-05, 04:20 PM
...Actually, it's weapons beyond +10 that are epic. A +10 weapon costs 200,000- easily in the price range of a character below 20th level. Otherwise, the vorpal enchantment would be impossible, as it requires at least a +6. So, yeah, the mind blade progression works.
The head called shot thing needs a saving throw. Otherwise, it's insanely overpowered.
Carry on.

Samb
2009-09-06, 12:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback made some more changes:
1)Forgot to put free draw in at level 5
2)gave head shots a Will saving throw, making high WIS even more important.
3)Took out improved unarmed strike and put weapon focus back in. Synaptic overload is just a regular attack not an unarmed attack.
4)Added Hustle as a PLA at level 11. Kind of late considering a psywar get it at 4 but then again that was kind of the point.