PDA

View Full Version : Pseudodragon Shaman?

Roc Ness
2009-09-04, 06:51 AM
Out of interest, I was thinking that if I next tried to play DnD I would play as a pseudodragon dragon shaman, cos' I thought it would seem funny. :smalltongue:

But crunchwise, I would like to know some things like the racial ability mods and other possibly important stuff that aren't mentioned in the monster description, just to get some of those things out of the way before I do try.

Also, just for fun, what if we write up some statistics for playing as a hawk? :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2009-09-04, 07:03 AM
Out of interest, I was thinking that if I next tried to play DnD I would play as a pseudodragon dragon shaman, cos' I thought it would seem funny. :smalltongue:

But crunchwise, I would like to know some things like the racial ability mods and other possibly important stuff that aren't mentioned in the monster description, just to get some of those things out of the way before I do try.

Per Monster's As Races (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monstersAsRaces.htm), for the ability mods you subtract 11 from the odd scores, and 10 from the even scores to get the modifiers, unless otherwise noted. So for the Pseudodragon, that's -4 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis.

Most the other stuff is simply as listed (as it's got more than one hit die), but you'll want to look up the Dragon type for a few more nifties.

Also, just for fun, what if we write up some statistics for playing as a hawk? :smallbiggrin:
Well, they don't have a level adjustment, so you don't play as a hawk, but if you did, the ability score adjustments would be -4 Str, +6 Dex, -8 Int, +4 Wis, -4 Cha.

Roc Ness
2009-09-04, 07:10 AM
Per Monster's As Races (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monstersAsRaces.htm), for the ability mods you subtract 11 from the odd scores, and 10 from the even scores to get the modifiers, unless otherwise noted. So for the Pseudodragon, that's -4 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis.

Most the other stuff is simply as listed (as it's got more than one hit die), but you'll want to look up the Dragon type for a few more nifties.

Well, they don't have a level adjustment, so you don't play as a hawk, but if you did, the ability score adjustments would be -4 Str, +6 Dex, -8 Int, +4 Wis, -4 Cha.

Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Shame you can't play as a hawk... :smallbiggrin:

Rising Phoenix
2009-09-04, 07:13 AM
Shame you can't play as a hawk... :smallbiggrin:

You can, via the awaken spell. It gives you two animal HD though, but your DM may hand wave that if you have a chat with him.

Cheers,

R.P.

Jack_Simth
2009-09-04, 07:17 AM
You can, via the awaken spell. It gives you two animal HD though, but your DM may hand wave that if you have a chat with him.

Cheers,

R.P.
There's also the pesky bit that it still has an LA of "-" after getting Awakened.

Eloel
2009-09-04, 07:26 AM
You can play a werehawk, an anthrohawk, or a druid wildshaped into hawk just well though :p

Roc Ness
2009-09-04, 07:37 AM
There's also the pesky bit that it still has an LA of "-" after getting Awakened.

Also the peaky part of the innability to speak verbally, to cast spells, to hold weapons, to not get dragged out of the sky by the weight of a few arrows... :smallbiggrin:

... There are werehawks now?

Obrysii
2009-09-04, 07:41 AM
Also the peaky part of the innability to speak verbally, to cast spells, to hold weapons, to not get dragged out of the sky by the weight of a few arrows... :smallbiggrin:

*sigh*

Awakened gives you the ability to speak any languages the druid who Awakened you can speak - so Common, most likely.

Surrogate Spellcasting feat removes the problem of somatic components.

Animals without a humanoid form would naturally have LA +0, as the benefits of their form are outweighed or balanced by their penalities.

So an Awakened Hawk would have 3d8 hp, Str -4, Dex +6, Int 3d6, Wis +4, Cha -4, and all of the other racial traits. It would be able to Speak Common and would gain bonus languages if it has a suitably high Int. Its LA would be +0.

Eloel
2009-09-04, 07:46 AM

You can apply the lycanthropy template to any animal you want :) (there are werefleshrakers too)

HereticNox
2009-09-04, 07:51 AM
You have to give it a level adjustment for its flight. Any other races with flight, has at least an adjustment of +1. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, unless it is from the savage species which I don't own.

Flight is a big deal at lower levels, especially if you combine it with Surrogate Spellcasting.

Eloel
2009-09-04, 07:56 AM
You have to give it a level adjustment for its flight. Any other races with flight, has at least an adjustment of +1. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, unless it is from the savage species which I don't own.

Flight is a big deal at lower levels, especially if you combine it with Surrogate Spellcasting.

Raptoran wants a talk with you. Races of the Wild.
Dragonborn template-ish also wants a talk with you. Races of Dragon.

sofawall
2009-09-04, 07:57 AM
Glide =/= Flight.

EDIT: Again, Glide=/= Fly.

Both get true flight either in a very limited manner, or at a level where everyone should have it anyway.

Eloel
2009-09-04, 07:57 AM
They eventually get flight :p

sofawall
2009-09-04, 07:58 AM
See edit. ^^

Eloel
2009-09-04, 08:03 AM
Anthromorphic Bat
Anthromorphic Raven

Ignore those? :p (They are SS, so they may not count)

Weezer
2009-09-04, 08:11 AM
^And we all know how balanced anthropomorphic bats are

Roc Ness
2009-09-04, 08:14 AM
*sigh*

Awakened gives you the ability to speak any languages the druid who Awakened you can speak - so Common, most likely.

Surrogate Spellcasting feat removes the problem of somatic components.

Animals without a humanoid form would naturally have LA +0, as the benefits of their form are outweighed or balanced by their penalities.

So an Awakened Hawk would have 3d8 hp, Str -4, Dex +6, Int 3d6, Wis +4, Cha -4, and all of the other racial traits. It would be able to Speak Common and would gain bonus languages if it has a suitably high Int. Its LA would be +0.

So, once again I prove myself to be most ignorant... :smallredface:

sofawall
2009-09-04, 08:17 AM
Anthromorphic Bat
Anthromorphic Raven

Ignore those? :p (They are SS, so they may not count)

Aren't they both clumsy? That's almost as bad as glide.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-04, 08:33 AM
Aren't they both clumsy? That's almost as bad as glide.You're turning this into a "real scotsman" argument, you know.

Also, the Hengyokai(sp) from OA get flight from level 1, IIRC.

sofawall
2009-09-04, 08:36 AM
You're turning this into a "real scotsman" argument, you know.

I was seeing how long I could go before someone asked me what I meant by flying, then. :P

Nostri
2009-09-04, 12:54 PM

Actually I think the fact that the hawk wouldn't be able to use many magic items, wear much (if any) armor and the fact that they lack opposable thumbs with which to wield any weapons in would balance the fact that they get a fly speed of 60 feet (average). Not to mention the fact that a hungry person with a bow would be very likely to take a pot shot at you since you're a bird and thus good eating. Also social complications in anything but the Realms and possibly Eberron would be...unfortunate to say the least.

Optimystik
2009-09-04, 01:02 PM
Actually I think the fact that the hawk wouldn't be able to use many magic items, wear much (if any) armor and the fact that they lack opposable thumbs with which to wield any weapons in would balance the fact that they get a fly speed of 60 feet (average). Not to mention the fact that a hungry person with a bow would be very likely to take a pot shot at you since you're a bird and thus good eating. Also social complications in anything but the Realms and possibly Eberron would be...unfortunate to say the least.

Not to mention anything that eats birds. Such as... other birds.

I was seeing how long I could go before someone asked me what I meant by flying, then. :P

*slap*

spamoo
2009-09-04, 01:24 PM

Werehawk (Afflicted)

-4 Str, +6 Dex, (Hybrid and Animal Forms only)
+2 Wis (All forms)
Fly 60ft (Average) (Hybrid and Animal Forms only)
dr 5/silver
Low-light vision
Scent
Lycanthropic Empathy
LA +2

Racial Hit Die is replaced by class level.

Can only be applied to small or smaller humanoids (I recommend Strongheart Halfling).