PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Starting to Think about Paragon

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 11:30 AM
So, I'm playing an 8th level bard, and starting to think about what to do in Paragon.

The thing is, my Bard has only multi-class feats. That's it. Every single feat he has is an additional class. He's currently got Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Warlock (fey), Barbarian, and Warlord.

I'm not quite sure what direction to take him in Paragon. I'm not inclined to change any of my feats. Any suggestions?

NPCMook
2009-09-04, 11:43 AM
Take more multiclass feats? maybe Paragon Multiclass to take advantage of EVEN MORE multiclass feats.

kc0bbq
2009-09-04, 11:45 AM
No advice, but that is a character of amusingness +3.

Shadow_Elf
2009-09-04, 11:46 AM
Student of the Seven? It gives you some perks to use with multiclass powers etc., and, if you've got a decent INT score, it makes some of your multiclass powers quite damaging, even if they do not use CHA for damage. Or, if you've got a DDI supscription, you can take a look at the themed bard multiclass Paragon Paths (Bard-Divine, Bard-Martial, Bard-Arcane and Bard-Primal) for other choices.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 12:01 PM
No advice, but that is a character of amusingness +3.

He works out pretty well, too... except for Unluck, a power which has NEVER worked for me. I'm thinking I will refuse to retrain it until it works at least once.

With Ranger and Rogue, he can dish out some respectable damage.

With Paladin, he can draw a bit of attention, and his CHA means he's got decent damage on the challenge.

With Barbarian, he can choose 1 fight a day to hit people hard.

With Warlord, he's got plenty of healing (up to 3 an encounter).

With Warlock, he's got that one extra power to help him through.

Of course, the fact that I use a bad Swedish accent and constantly hit on our Deva helps to make him amusing. ;-)

Sipex
2009-09-04, 12:01 PM
If you're a half-elf you could go for the paragon replacement feat as well.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 12:02 PM
If you're a half-elf you could go for the paragon replacement feat as well.

Nope. Human. "I don't do the elfy ones."

shadzar
2009-09-04, 12:05 PM
Take more multiclass feats? maybe Paragon Multiclass to take advantage of EVEN MORE multiclass feats.

I agree with the Malkavian...If it ain't broke don't fix it, and if you are wanting a spread of abilities form other classes via feats, then just keep getting more of them with the paragon versions rather than taking a paragon specific to class.

Sipex
2009-09-04, 12:14 PM
I'd definitely go with student of the seven then and focus on more paragon multi-class feats or feats which enhance your multi-class abilities.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 12:25 PM
Where is Student of the Seven? If it's the one in PH2, then doesn't it rely a lot on you having powers from your multiclasses, instead of just a lot of different multiclasses?

Shadow_Elf
2009-09-04, 01:12 PM
Where is Student of the Seven? If it's the one in PH2, then doesn't it rely a lot on you having powers from your multiclasses, instead of just a lot of different multiclasses?

Yes, it is the one that involves investing in some power swaps as well as simple multiclassing. However, you're not taking full advantage of multiclassing unless you're power swapping too!

Hzurr
2009-09-04, 01:25 PM
Of course, the fact that I use a bad Swedish accent and constantly hit on our Deva helps to make him amusing. ;-)

You will rarely see a sight more entertaining then the half-horrified/half-amused look the Deva's player gets when Mark Hall's character hits on her.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 01:27 PM
Yes, it is the one that involves investing in some power swaps as well as simple multiclassing. However, you're not taking full advantage of multiclassing unless you're power swapping too!

Ah, but I AM getting a free power with every new multiclass. Hunter's Quarry? Encounter power. Sneak Attack? Encounter Power. Barbarian rage? Daily.

The problem with the bard and power swapping is that the other classes who have Charisma (except the Paladin, and some with the Warlock) tend to be sub-optimal, because Bards automatically have Arcane... and Sorcerer multiclasses automatically grant Arcane.

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 01:28 PM
You will rarely see a sight more entertaining then the half-horrified/half-amused look the Deva's player gets when Mark Hall's character hits on her.

Yes, but her fiancee finds it funny. ;-)

NPCMook
2009-09-04, 01:36 PM
What gaming store do you guys go to because I would love to join in on your game

Totally Guy
2009-09-04, 01:40 PM
The only way you can pick a paragon path without making all but one of your classes feeling left out is to pick the Human racial path. Action points!

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 01:43 PM
What gaming store do you guys go to because I would love to join in on your game

Oh, heck, I'm on the opposite side of town from the rest of them.

Hzurr
2009-09-04, 01:47 PM
Hmm... I agree that Student of 7 seems like it would only be good for a bard who focused on one (maybe two) multiclasses, rather than 7 other classes (which I find ironic).

A few possibilities:

Daring Blade - If you want to step up and be a bit more frontline-y. This, combined with Barbarian abilities, sneak attack and hunter's quarry could be really interesting.

Blessed Psalmist - If you think the party could use a bit more healing (and given the last encounter we had, that might not be a bad idea)

Resourceful Magician - This one would gel pretty well with what you have. It also has some good abilities for recovering if you miss with an attack (including Unluck)

Also, what Bard Virtue do you have?

@NPCMook - the game store I usually go to is Nan's, at 59 & Shepard

NPCMook
2009-09-04, 01:50 PM

That's quite the drive for me, I'm over at Predator games on 517

EDIT: On-Topic: I too am wondering where the Student of the Seven is located...

ocato
2009-09-04, 01:59 PM
If you have DDI, there's a Dragon Paragon Path for bards called Daring Blade. It focuses a bit on melee, but the major feature is that you can replace the attack and damage stat on all martial powers with charisma. That's going to make power swapping becomes much more palatable.

Totally Guy
2009-09-04, 02:00 PM

Be careful about giving out such details online. This guy might be a predator.:smalltongue:

Hzurr
2009-09-04, 02:07 PM
Be careful about giving out such details online. This guy might be a predator.

I keep a large supply of heat-concealing mud and a large log on a rope just in case of predators.

@NPCMook - Student of the Seven is in PHB2

NPCMook
2009-09-04, 02:08 PM
Be careful about giving out such details online. This guy might be a predator.:smalltongue:

1d4 points of facepalm damage... That joke was terrible, but I will give you credit for being clever..

Yeah, I found it after a quick search

LibraryOgre
2009-09-04, 03:05 PM
Also, what Bard Virtue do you have?

Valor, when I remember it. I'm going to have to school people in claiming their bonus HP.

I'll have to look over paragon paths when I get home. I need one that is Bard-tastic.

Optimystik
2009-09-04, 03:09 PM
Nope. Human. "I don't do the elfy ones."

*applauds*
As I have yet to play 4e, that is my sole contribution to this thread :smalltongue:

Grynning
2009-09-04, 07:41 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with Bard PP's per se, but it's usually pretty easy to pick one out just based on the abilities they grant and how well they synergize with your current build.
If none of the bard PP's appeal to you, the Adroit Explorer Racial path for humans is quite good and just gives you extra base class powers instead of new attacks, so it won't mess with your current flavor. However some of it's abilities do only work when you get bloodied, but since it seems your bard likes to mix it up in melee that shouldn't be a problem.

dragoonsgone
2009-09-04, 09:31 PM
Man starting to wish I lived in Houston seeing how many D&D players there are in H-Town. That's 3 at least in this thread. Can be kind of hard to find a game up here in Tyler.

Hzurr
2009-09-04, 11:11 PM
Man starting to wish I lived in Houston seeing how many D&D players there are in H-Town. That's 3 at least in this thread. Can be kind of hard to find a game up here in Tyler.

Eh, that's what happens when you get 5 million people in one place. A few of them have to bleed over to the Internet. :smalltongue:

dragoonsgone
2009-09-04, 11:35 PM
I know, I know I was just saying. Besides it's nice to see so many Texans in here.