PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Arcane Trickster

Johel
2009-09-04, 01:07 PM
Here is the trick : I must create a 14th level character.
I think I'm going for a Bard but a full Bard is a bit weak.
So I thought about the Arcane Trickster.

Do you think it's worth it for a 7th Level Bard to take 3 levels of Rogue so that he may qualify for the Requirements of the class ?

If no, what would be a good prestige class for a Bard, using the SRD only ? Anything goes by, as nothing is set about the character, yet. It just has to be SRD-only.

Also, what are the pros and cons of the Arcane Trickster with a Bard as a basis ?

tyckspoon
2009-09-04, 01:12 PM
SRD only? Nothing, really. Bards are one of the classes that benefits most from getting more sources to work with just because there's so little for them in core materials. With an SRD restriction you're best off staying straight Bard in order to keep your spell progression on pace.

Herbstfarben
2009-09-04, 01:13 PM
Perhaps Prestigious Bard. Be a human Paragon with Wizard/Sorcerer levels. Not the most powerful but its SRD only.

Eloel
2009-09-04, 01:15 PM
Firstly, a core-bard is weak, you need to keep that in mind.

Loremaster is fitting for a know-alot kind of character, which is a staple of bards

Dragon Disciple is tailored for Sorcerers and Bards, the only 2 classes that are said to have 'draconic heritage' and can cast arcane spells, so it works good with a martial bard.

Arcane Trickster is usually not worth it, since you're basically wasting the sneak attack dice. Your spells all have verbal components, you 'sing' them. And when you sing, you're pretty much giving your position away

Arcane Archer, although weak, can be entered with Bard without much problem, and grants a few bonuses to archery, so you can sing from the back row while raining arrows on the battlefield.

Eldariel
2009-09-04, 01:52 PM
Unfortunately, PrCing gives up the one thing Bards have going on for them - the song progression. So no, unless you're playing a Bard 'cause DM banned Sorcerers, I don't think it's a good idea in Core.

But yeah, Loremaster is the only remotedly fitting PrC; if only it didn't screw you off your songs it'd be pretty good.

Crossblade
2009-09-04, 02:37 PM
I think a different approach to looking at why the OP wants Arcane Trickster is the skill side of things. I'm a little under the weather now, so I can't get my mind to wrap around it well enough to explain, but I'm sure someone else could weigh the pros and cons of bard's skills with arcane casting + trickster's vs pure rogue's skills.

Johel
2009-09-04, 02:38 PM
Thank you all for the advices.

I'll go for a full bard, then. Loremaster seems perfect for an NPC but it doesn't really suit a Bard PC (3 metamagic feats ? For a Bard ?:smalleek:)

@Cross :
Yes, it was mainly for the "Bard with sneak attack" feel. Skills + magic + melee power sounded awesome. 3 levels of rogue didn't seems that bad but the loss of spellcaster levels effectively makes the character a lot weaker.

DragoonWraith
2009-09-04, 03:35 PM
My vote:
Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#sorcerer) 2/Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) 3/Prestige Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard) 15

All SRD, better than Bard 20, IMO. You could go with a Wizard base; it makes the entry requirements for Prestige Bard mildly easier and of course is more powerful in general (you'd get 7th level spells at 20th). But I figured the Cha synergy with Sorcerer would be better. You end up with one more spell per day than normal Bard, though one less spell known for the higher spell levels. You also gain a familiar, the adaptive skill, +2 to a stat of your choice (Cha), and a bonus feat.