PDA

View Full Version : Return of the lime green boots of speed!

shadzar
2009-09-04, 03:33 PM
YES! 675 brings back another magic item for Hailey, and she gets them upgraded with a color enhancement!

What other magic items of the past are people looking forward to seeing in the desert arc? (if any)

Optimystik
2009-09-04, 03:36 PM
All their combat gear. I want to see them fight as a party again, even though very little short of Team Evil or the LG can challenge them at this point.

I wonder, will Elan take a position near the front with Roy and Belkar now, or hang back and sing like he used to?

Alteran
2009-09-04, 03:37 PM
The Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity? :smallbiggrin:

shadzar
2009-09-04, 03:41 PM

:smallconfused: Didn't Durkon destroy that when removing it from Roy? Elan probably found another though for use with Hail......~transmission interrupted~

DarthCyberWolf
2009-09-04, 03:52 PM
10 gold says that the boot's enchantment makes it immune to dye.

JT Jag
2009-09-04, 03:57 PM
10 gold says that the boot's enchantment makes it immune to dye.I'll take that bet.

shadzar
2009-09-04, 04:02 PM

I got 20 electrum pieces that says the boots take the dye.

Xesirin
2009-09-04, 04:34 PM
I got 20 electrum pieces that says the boots take the dye.

............. So now we're betting currency that doesn't exist, which doesn't even matter since none of us even have any imaginary currency? :smallconfused:

I bet a Belt of Arcane Protection on the premise that the boots combust when dyes are applied, and that it becomes a major plot point.

Thanatosia
2009-09-04, 04:54 PM
REAL fake Money has too much value (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0541.html)

shadzar
2009-09-04, 05:27 PM
............. So now we're betting currency that doesn't exist, which doesn't even matter since none of us even have any imaginary currency? :smallconfused:

I bet a Belt of Arcane Protection on the premise that the boots combust when dyes are applied, and that it becomes a major plot point.

So we end up with Hailey as a painted lady? :smalleek: I guess it might be easier to pick pockets when the pockets aren't being worn.

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-04, 07:34 PM
Remind me, when did we see them last?

Whynn
2009-09-04, 07:41 PM

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0003.html

Comic 3! :smalleek:

Lira
2009-09-04, 07:43 PM
#608 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0608.html) was the first time (and the only time other than 675) that we actually saw the boots of speed.

shadzar
2009-09-04, 07:54 PM
#608 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0608.html) was the first time (and the only time other than 675) that we actually saw the boots of speed.

Yup. First seen there, and first heard in #3. Maybe we will finally get to see how good they are when Crystal comes to chase Hailey.

:smallconfused: Do boots of speed work in sand? Would they become boots of sand storm?

Katana_Geldar
2009-09-04, 07:58 PM
I reckon they would help, speaking as a person who has tried to run in sand.

Andraste
2009-09-04, 08:14 PM
They were also mentioned in 573 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0573.html)

Aristeidis
2009-09-04, 09:37 PM
I would give anything to see the bag of tricks back in action!

Richard J.
2009-09-04, 11:02 PM
Ooh, I've hoped to see those actually get some use! Slowly but surely the whole Order is getting ever more badass.

alegollama
2009-09-05, 12:10 AM
What other magic items of the past are people looking forward to seeing in the desert arc? (if any)

Maybe... those rocks that everyone got when splitting up the gold will come in.
Like, as rocks you can throw at evildoers.

Haven
2009-09-05, 12:30 AM
I have to admit I'm surprised to see them back. I'd gotten the impression that, being displeased with their color, Haley elected to sell them which is why we hadn't seen them since.

Though I guess it's possible she just left them in Greysky when she quit the Guild, and picked them up off-screen before the teleportation.

Morgan Wick
2009-09-05, 08:50 PM
I have to admit I'm surprised to see them back. I'd gotten the impression that, being displeased with their color, Haley elected to sell them which is why we hadn't seen them since.

Though I guess it's possible she just left them in Greysky when she quit the Guild, and picked them up off-screen before the teleportation.

BONUS STRIP IDEA ALERT!

Linkavitch
2009-09-06, 07:18 PM

Or, it's possible she stored them in one of her six bags of infinite extra-planear/dimensional/whatever place-thingies.:smallsmile:

Dancing_Fox
2009-09-06, 07:46 PM

I say that the dye takes effect, but that the boot's speed enchantment is destroyed/altered.

But as I don't have the strength of conviction that this will actually happen (I think that "dye takes effect, boots retain speed" is the most natural outcome), I'm not going to bet my monopoly money on the outcome. Nor two Scrabble tiles of "G.P"s.

EDIT: The other possibility is that the dye takes effect, the enchantment holds, but that the colour ends up as something even more horrible than lime green.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-06, 07:57 PM
Maybe... those rocks that everyone got when splitting up the gold will come in.
Like, as rocks you can throw at evildoers.
Yes, it's important to establish that the order already has a supply of rocks before we see them throw one at a bad guy.

Very hard to come by, rocks.

The Odor
2009-09-07, 03:33 AM
Yes, it's important to establish that the order already has a supply of rocks before we see them throw one at a bad guy.

Very hard to come by, rocks.

Do you play any rpg`s. I have had a dungen master that didnt allow me to pick up sand in a dessert...

daggaz
2009-09-07, 04:07 AM
I cant believe nobody has brought up the obvious tho..

Was Haley morally justified in having the lime-green boots of speed dyed to match her new outfit??

I mean, honestly. Ok they are lime green, its a horrible affront to the universe.. but they were made that way. Some might even say born. At the very least, they should be given the choice. They need a chance to redeem themselves, before it is forced on them.. Haley might as well have just cast Mindrape or a balm of opposite-pigment or something, the way it is now. And what about their kids?? I mean..damn. What are the chartreuse slippers of spiderclimbing going to think when they see their mom? Not to mention, any future kids in shades of lime-green, who might have gone on to protect the feet of a hero who saves the world, who will never be born ..erm, i mean made, because of this wanton act of fashion nazism on the part of Haley. Its wrong, I tell you. Wrong.:smallmad:

Murderous Hobo
2009-09-07, 04:35 AM
There is tea up my nose. Thanks.

Sampi
2009-09-07, 05:35 AM
[de-lurk]

Whoo, fun recap on the first three strips with strips 673-675.
#1 - #673 getting oriented
#2 - #674 picking parties
#3 - #675 The LGBoS

[/de-lurk]

Manga Shoggoth
2009-09-07, 06:44 AM
I say that the dye takes effect, but that the boot's speed enchantment is destroyed/altered.

The dye takes effect, but is left behind the first time she uses the boots.

Tyrrell
2009-09-15, 04:29 PM
Haley's two gemstones that her mother gave to her.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html

pflare
2009-09-16, 07:28 PM
Of course the boots are back they were a total Chekhov's gun. If something has emphasis placed on it then it will at somepoint be important to the story, like the girdle of masculinity/femininity.

AxeD
2009-09-20, 07:48 AM
YES! 675 brings back another magic item for Hailey, and she gets them upgraded with a color enhancement!

Celia's mobile phone (used in #53 to be lectured by her mum)

Also, Belkar's 'Swanky new leather hat - 100% kobold leather!' (#69)

OH! OH! And all of the prototype armours shown in #138! How awesome would the final battle between good and evil be, if those showed up again! The first two could totally be used by undead!

Moriato
2009-09-20, 01:27 PM
Maybe we will finally get to see how good they are when Crystal comes to chase Hailey.

Umm... did you miss a comic?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0648.html

Sewblon
2009-09-20, 02:43 PM

Yeah, I want to know what Elan was going to do with it in the first place. Also, show Belkar using the ring of +20 jumping while whoring.

hamishspence
2009-09-20, 02:54 PM
Umm... did you miss a comic?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0648.html

Haley's last words to Crystal seemed to be presuming Bozzok would resurrect Crystal, and that he would want to send somebody- maybe her- to kill Haley because of her actions.

mizzim
2009-09-20, 03:07 PM
The dye takes effect, but is left behind the first time she uses the boots.

Definitely! 1 "K" (scrabble piece) says this happens.