PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ok Playgrounders, Question:

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-04, 09:14 PM
There's a use for the Autohypnosis skill in Races of Eberron that allows you to commit a page worth of text to memory (its either there or in Secrets of Sarlona), then hide that bit of information from everyone but you. However, in order to recall that information, you must make a DC 15 Autohypnosis check.

Let's say the party Wizard put ranks into Autohypnosis. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this, but I'll spell it out for those who don't.

Assuming the Wizard can get his modifier into +15 territory fairly easily, and somehow found a way to take 10 on Autohypnosis checks, is it reasonable to assume they could memorize their entire spellbook, and then recall every spell at their leisure without it?

Assuming you don't, would you consider homebrewing a Mental Skill Trick that would allow this, and having it function as the Spell Mastery feat?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-09-04, 09:26 PM
There's a use for the Autohypnosis skill in Races of Eberron that allows you to commit a page worth of text to memory (its either there or in Secrets of Sarlona), then hide that bit of information from everyone but you. However, in order to recall that information, you must make a DC 15 Autohypnosis check.

Let's say the party Wizard put ranks into Autohypnosis. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this, but I'll spell it out for those who don't.

Assuming the Wizard can get his modifier into +15 territory fairly easily, and somehow found a way to take 10 on Autohypnosis checks, is it reasonable to assume they could memorize their entire spellbook, and then recall every spell at their leisure without it?
Memorize
You can attempt to memorize a long string of numbers, a long passage of verse, or some other particularly difficult piece of information (but you can’t memorize magical writing or similarly exotic scripts). Each successful check allows you to memorize a single page of text (up to 800 words), numbers, diagrams, or sigils (even if you don’t recognize their meaning). If a document is longer than one page, you can make additional checks for each additional page. You always retain this information; however, you can recall it only with another successful Autohypnosis check.
Assuming you don't, would you consider homebrewing a Mental Skill Trick that would allow this, and having it function as the Spell Mastery feat?No, skill tricks are supposed to be weaker than feats. Now, if you impose some sort of a limit on it, that's fine, but Spellbooks are one of the few weaknesses of the Wizard(and not even a vulnerable weakness, at that). Don't take that away.

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-04, 09:31 PM
No, skill tricks are supposed to be weaker than feats. Now, if you impose some sort of a limit on it, that's fine, but Spellbooks are one of the few weaknesses of the Wizard(and not even a vulnerable weakness, at that). Don't take that away.

RAW, spellbooks are not magical (otherwise the default spellbook would be a default screw with MDJ). Exotic, maybe. But definitely not magical.

What if the Skill Trick was only for 2 spells (we all know a Wizard can get more off of Spell Mastery)?

And it's not like they need their spellbook. If they didn't cast spells the previous day, they still have about 40 spells to work with. If even one of those is Limited Wish, they can easily get their spellbook back. It just sets them back a little.

Emy
2009-09-04, 11:10 PM
Hardcore wizards get the essentials (silent image, shadow conjuration, polymorph, and whatever other powerful spells are level-appropriate) tattooed onto their bodies. Heck, a tattoo of secret page would (with significant abuse) allow you to prepare whatever you like, as long as you have a sheet of paper around.

By the way, Autohypnosis and its Memorize use are in the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/skills/autohypnosis.htm)

Sinfire Titan
2009-09-04, 11:20 PM
Hardcore wizards get the essentials (silent image, shadow conjuration, polymorph, and whatever other powerful spells are level-appropriate) tattooed onto their bodies. Heck, a tattoo of secret page would (with significant abuse) allow you to prepare whatever you like, as long as you have a sheet of paper around.

By the way, Autohypnosis and its Memorize use are in the SRD. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/skills/autohypnosis.htm)

Oh! Then it must be the Forget version that's in RoE...

Saph
2009-09-05, 04:26 AM
I'm pretty sure that the "magical writing or similarly exotic scripts" clause was specifically put in there to refer to Wizard spellbooks and similar.

kamikasei
2009-09-05, 05:03 AM
RAW, spellbooks are not magical (otherwise the default spellbook would be a default screw with MDJ). Exotic, maybe. But definitely not magical.

"Magical" as in "has an aura of magic, can be dispelled, etc." is not the same thing as "magical writing". Spellbooks are magical writing; it means the personal style of notation used to write spells in spellbooks and on scrolls.

To decipher an arcane magical writing (such as a single spell in written form in another’s spellbook...)...

Source: Arcane Magical Writings (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings).