PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions pls

gcb001
2009-09-04, 11:46 PM
Ok, so i Dm for a 3.5 campaign and i have one small problem, atm i am unsure of what exactly to throw at them that would give them some decent challenges. I understand that the CR system is a little eh to say the least, especially when you include special items used by the characters. SO, any advice people could give me on possible monsters to use in encounters would be nice.

PS: all of these players are new for the most part, been playing about 3-4 weeks.

Environment: heavily wooden, some lakes/rivers around not too many or too large, also some rocky areas but mostly wooded.

Characters and levels: all 4th level,
Cleric, half elf (corellion lorenthian (sp?) sword and board with crossbow
ranger, elf, pure ranged combat, (has something like +7-8 to ranged)
wizard, halfling (note:has not realized true potential, really likes dmg spells)
rogue, gnome (player died and rerolled another rogue)
Fighter, human sword and board with bastard sword spec (dm character, what can i say? i havent played in a really long time lol wanted to join. also completely mute)

Please note that i included the shield of wonder in the campaign, so far their favorite tactic has been to throw it at enemies and see what happens......sometimes to hilarious effect.

PS: playing core for now, might branch later, they are still learning system atm

Elfin
2009-09-04, 11:53 PM
There are still lots of things that can challenge them at such a low level, especially with suboptimal characters.
Some good core level 3-5 monsters are minotaurs, trolls, ogres, very young dragons (or, for masterminds, young dragons), goblins/hobgoblins/orcs, wights, ettins, dire animals, displacer beasts, low-level demons and devils, and the odd NPC.
It's not too hard; really, between a blaster wizard, a S&B fighter, a half-elf S&B cleric with no DMM:Persist, a rogue, and a ranger, you should be fine with anything of an appropriate CR.