PDA

View Full Version : Have a merry Christmas! Or else! [PEACH]

Fredthefighter
2009-09-05, 06:47 AM
I looked at the Santa Clause that WotC did and didn't much like it, so I decided to make a meaner and tougher version of "Jolly Ol' St.Nick". This is how I see Santa in my head.

"I'm making a list, I'm checking it twice, I'm gonna find out if who's been naughty and nice... and you best have not been naughty, otherwise you are in for one hell of a night."

Santa Clause
Medium Humanoid
Druid 15/Barbarian 5
Hit Dice: 5d12+30+15d8+90 (220 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 38 (+5 Dex, +6 Natural, +8 Misc, +9 Icemail), touch 23, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+23
Attack: Axe of Winter Festival +30 (1d12+10+1d6 cold) or Comet Bow +24 (1d8 +1d6 fire)
Full Attack: Axe of Winter Festival +29/+24/+19/+14 and Fistbeard +24 (1d8+3).
or
Comet Bow +24/+19/+14/+9
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blizzard of Death, Fistbeard.
Special Qualities: Frightful Presence (DC 22), He Knows When You Are Sleeping, DR 15/-, Cold Resistance 20, SR 32, Special Vulnerabilities, Fast Movement, Rage (2/day), Improved Uncanny Dodge, Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Woodland Stride, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure, Wild Shape (5/day, Huge, Plant, Tiny, Large), A thousand faces, Venom immunity.
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +16, Will +22
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 21, Con 22, Int 13, Wis 24, Cha 14
Skills: Listen +19, Spot +19, Move Silently +24, Climb +18, Survival +19, Knowledge (Nature) +15, Handle Animal +20, Spellcraft +14.
Feats: Weapon focus (Greataxe), Power Attack, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Natural Spell, Iron Will, Improved Bull Rush.
Environment: Usually Cold.
Organization: Solitary or with Rudolph.
Challenge Rating: 21
Treasure: Belt of Giant's Strength (+6), Bracers of Armour (+8), Amulet of Natural Armour (+6), Boots of Elvenkind, Gloves of Dexterity (+6), Little Sack of Horrors, Periapt of Wisdom (+6), Cloak of Resistance (+5), Ring of Health (+6), The Sleigh and 15'000 GP worth of non-magical items.
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Advancement: By Class Level
Level Adjustment: ---

Don't call me Nicholas.

Why not.... Nicholas?

Bob was never heard from again.

Santa Clause tends to be generally jolly.... when he's not pounding the crap out of those who would:
A) Harm nature.
B) Harm the innocent.
or C) Make him angry.

The Sleigh: The Sleigh functions as a normal sleigh, however, when one or more Magical Beasts are tethered to the sleigh, those beasts and the sleigh gain a flight speed of 100ft (Clumsy). In addition, while flying, once per day, the Sleigh may teleport as the Greater Teleport spell.

Axe of Winter Festival: The Axe of Winter Festival is a +5 Icy Burst Greataxe specifically attuned to Santa Clause, this allows him to wield it without breaking the druid's weapon prohibitions. This also means that he adds +5 to any checks he makes to avoid being disarmed of this weapon, and that no one else can wield the Axe of Winter Festival.
In addition. Whenever wielded against someone who would harm nature, the Axe of Winter Festival deals an extra 2d6 untyped damage. For clarifying "those who would harm nature", the best options are either to leave it to the choice of the DM or to have it affect those who are intended to harm nature in the near future or are harming nature at this very moment.

Icemail: Icemail is a suit of +5 Reinforced Chainmail, like the Axe of Winter Festival, it is attuned to Santa Clause and as such cannot be worn by others and he can wear it without violating the druid's armour prohibitions. In addition, Icemail is light enough to be counted as light armour instead of medium armour.

Comet Bow: The Comet Bow is a +3 Fiery Burst Composite Longbow. In addition, when Santa Clause makes a full attack with this weapon, its damage dice improves one step. Also, he may choose to take a full attack action but make only one attack, when this happens, the Fiery Burst ability of the Comet Bow automatically activates if the attack hits.

Fistbeard: Whenever Santa Clause makes a full attack with a melee weapon, he may make an extra attack with his beard. Santa counts as having Weapon focus with his beard. This attack counts as a secondary attack (and as such is at a -5 penalty) and deals 1d8+ half of Str modifier damage. In addition, if Santa hits with his Fistbeard attack, he may make a grapple attempt on the target hit without provoking an attack of opportunity from the opponent. If Santa uses Fistbeard on a flaming opponent, then his beard sets on fire and he takes 1d12 fire damage each round until the fire on his beard is put out.

He Knows When You Are Sleeping: Santa Clause can use Detect Evil/Law/Chaos/Magic/Good at will.

Little Bag of Horrors: As a full round action, and once per day, Santa Clause can choose upto 3 targets within 50ft and then open his bag to reveal what those target fear most. They must make a Will Save (DC 27) or be forced to flee at their normal movemenet speed away from Santa Clause, however, for every 5ft they are beyond 30ft away from Santa, the DC of the Will Save decreases by 2 (25 at 35ft, 23 at 40ft, 21 at 45ft, 19 at 50ft). They must be looking at the bag for this to be effective. This item also doubles as a bag of holding.

Blizzard of Death: Santa Clause my forgoe his usual number of attacks per round with his Axe of Winter Festival to attack all within reach with one attack at his highest attack bonus. In addition, his axe deals 2d6 extra cold damage this way when used this way. Once used, Santa Clause must wait 1d4 rounds before he can use Blizzard of Death again.

Special Vulnerabilities: Santa has very few vulnerabilities, but these are quite well known among certain circles.
1) Fire automattically bypasses Santa's damage reduction.
2) Spells with the Fire descriptor cut Santa's Spell Resistance in half (to SR 16).
3) If faced with a plate of cookies, Santa must make a Will Save (DC 15 + 5 for each additional cookie beyond the 4th), or be forced to mindlessly run for the cookies and spend an entire round devouring each cookie. These cookies must be freshly baked, so rotten, tiny or oatmeal cookies aren't going to cut it. How much Santa will go through for cookies is up to the DM, but use some common sense, e.g. Santa will not run directly into an open pit for cookies, but if the pit were concealed somehow... etc, etc.

Spells: As an accomplished Druid, Santa has a repetoire of spells that he can use.
6/7/7/7/5/5/4/3/1
Level 0: Virtue, Resistance, Detect Poison, Cure Minor Wounds, Create Water, Flare.
Level 1: Cure Light Wounds, Magic Fang, Longstrider, Charm Animal, Entangle, Endure Elements, Calm Animals.
Level 2: Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Flame Blade, Gust of Wind, Fog Cloud, Barkskin, Fire Trap.
Level 3: Call Lightning, Cure Moderate Wounds, Poison, Wind Wall, Remove Disease, Greater Magic Fang.
Level 4: Flame Strike, Ice Storm, Rusting Grasp, Dispel Magic, Control Water.
Level 5: Awaken, Commune with Nature, Atonement, Animal Growth, Control Winds.
Level 6: Liveoak, Wall of Stone, Fire Seeds, Ironwood.
Level 7: Heal, True Seeing, Control Weather.
Level 8: Sunburst.
DCs for spells are 17 + Spell Level.

First things first: Any idea of what challenge rating he should be. Because I'm not sure.

Second, what do you think?

Also, I'll do Rudolph soon.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-05, 10:19 AM
Overall, I find this both hilarious and excellent. The only constructive criticism I have for the overall would just be that I'd like to see a little more related to him giving presents to kids or such things. Perhaps a backstory on why would be cool too. Maybe he somehow ended up with a geas or similar which required him to give out presents to local children yearly- and he's not actually a big fan of kids, which is why he just sneaks in and leaves them lying around. Just a thought though; as far as a martial NPC, this is very well done and creative!

CR 17 or 18 would be my guesstimate.

I would find it highly amusing if Santa could also detect children at will. :smallamused: If you actually wanted to do that, perhaps he could detect their general temperment (if you assume that kids under 12 or so are too young to properly be labelled with an alignment) of "naughty/mischevious" or "nice/kind/well-behaved."

The Will save required upon the sight of cookies is fantastic. As Santa has a pretty high Will save modifier, requiring 4 cookies for a slightly less than 50% chance of distracting him, and any less than 3 cookies giving him no chance at all, I might add in that one would get a circumstantial modifier for the presence of a glass or jug of milk (+5 or +10 to the DC). If you're concerned about nitpicky PCs (or ridiculously detail-oriented people like myself), you could always clarify that only full, fresh, 2"-diameter or larger cookies count. You will not distract Santa with half-eaten cookies, rotten cookies, very tiny cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies... or can you? :smallamused: Also, this would give a crafty PC a very easy opportunity to harm Santa: Simply present him with a plate of a dozen fresh-baked cookies which contain poison.

Wow, now that I'm on this cookie roll, I keep thinking of more things to address. You say mindlessly: Does this mean that Santa might accidentally run into a pit from them, or just through zones where folks can get attacks of opportunities on him? What if the cookies are behind a wall of force or across a 50' chasm? Then what happens?

Moving on: I see nothing regarding Santa's transportation. I'd imagine a sleigh that acts similar to a flying carpet, but only works when one or more magical reindeer are tethered (I don't think this is the right verb, but you get what I mean) to it.

Why can't Santa detect good at will, in addition to chaos/law/evil?

When the Axe of the Winter Festival states "Whenever wielded against someone who would harm nature," does this mean someone whose immediate goal is harming nature, someone who is intending in the near future to harm nature, or someone who would have no qualms about harming nature but isn't necessarily intending to do so right now?

The Will save DC on the Little Bag of Horrors seems high, but assuming PCs fighting him would be level 16 or so... A cleric would have a Will save of +16 or so (base +10 and +6 from Wisdom score and Wisdom-increasing items), and a fighter would probably have a Will save of +7 or so (+5 base, plus +2 for stat or an item which gives them bonuses to saves, such as cloak of resistance). With those (admittedly rough) assumptions, a typical fighter would only have a 5% chance of standing their ground, and a typical cleric would have a 45% chance. That seems *slightly* steep, so I might lessen the DC to 25, or at least have a limit to how often Santa can use the bag per day. Furthermore, when you say "flee at their normal movement speed", wouldn't you mean running or such? When I imagine fleeing, I imagine them running away as fast as possible, not just going at their usual hussle.

I may have more suggestions later. Again, well done!

Silverscale
2009-09-05, 10:41 AM
Generally I like it. A few things you left out including his Alignment, the fluff would seem to suggest some variation on Evil, but not necessarily . Also his race, Historically he's described as a Jolly Old Elf, although he'd be by far the fattest elf in D&D.

As far as his Challenge rating....Strictly based on his levels he'd be a CR20 although, since he has 2 Minor Artifacts specifically attuned to him, I could see bumping that up to at least CR22

Fredthefighter
2009-09-05, 10:42 AM
Overall, I find this both hilarious and excellent. The only constructive criticism I have for the overall would just be that I'd like to see a little more related to him giving presents to kids or such things. Perhaps a backstory on why would be cool too. Maybe he somehow ended up with a geas or similar which required him to give out presents to local children yearly- and he's not actually a big fan of kids, which is why he just sneaks in and leaves them lying around. Just a thought though; as far as a martial NPC, this is very well done and creative!

Thankyou.

CR 17 or 18 would be my guesstimate.[/Spoiler]

I was thinking 20 due to the fact that he has 20 class levels. But that sounds good too.

[Quote]I would find it highly amusing if Santa could also detect children at will. :smallamused: If you actually wanted to do that, perhaps he could detect their general temperment (if you assume that kids under 12 or so are too young to properly be labelled with an alignment) of "naughty/mischevious" or "nice/kind/well-behaved."

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

The Will save required upon the sight of cookies is fantastic. As Santa has a pretty high Will save modifier, requiring 4 cookies for a slightly less than 50% chance of distracting him, and any less than 3 cookies giving him no chance at all, I might add in that one would get a circumstantial modifier for the presence of a glass or jug of milk (+5 or +10 to the DC). If you're concerned about nitpicky PCs (or ridiculously detail-oriented people like myself), you could always clarify that only full, fresh, 2"-diameter or larger cookies count. You will not distract Santa with half-eaten cookies, rotten cookies, very tiny cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies... or can you? :smallamused: Also, this would give a crafty PC a very easy opportunity to harm Santa: Simply present him with a plate of a dozen fresh-baked cookies which contain poison.

Wow, now that I'm on this cookie roll, I keep thinking of more things to address. You say mindlessly: Does this mean that Santa might accidentally run into a pit from them, or just through zones where folks can get attacks of opportunities on him? What if the cookies are behind a wall of force or across a 50' chasm? Then what happens?

The milk thing is definitely a must I think. As for the pit, if the pit were covered up (like putting a wire mesh and leaves over it) then yes. And if they are behind a wall of force then Santa will attempt to use Dispel Magic against the wall to bring it down. If the cookies were across a 50' chasm then Santa would most likely Wild Shape into a hawk or some other flying creature (he does have 15 levels in Druid).

Moving on: I see nothing regarding Santa's transportation. I'd imagine a sleigh that acts similar to a flying carpet, but only works when one or more magical reindeer are tethered (I don't think this is the right verb, but you get what I mean) to it.

Why can't Santa detect good at will, in addition to chaos/law/evil?

Hmmm, another good idea. You've given me a lot to consider.

When the Axe of the Winter Festival states "Whenever wielded against someone who would harm nature," does this mean someone whose immediate goal is harming nature, someone who is intending in the near future to harm nature, or someone who would have no qualms about harming nature but isn't necessarily intending to do so right now?

Hmmm, I would say that it would be up to the DM, but most likely someone who is intending to.

The Will save DC on the Little Bag of Horrors seems high, but assuming PCs fighting him would be level 16 or so... A cleric would have a Will save of +16 or so (base +10 and +6 from Wisdom score and Wisdom-increasing items), and a fighter would probably have a Will save of +7 or so (+5 base, plus +2 for stat or an item which gives them bonuses to saves, such as cloak of resistance). With those (admittedly rough) assumptions, a typical fighter would only have a 5% chance of standing their ground, and a typical cleric would have a 45% chance. That seems *slightly* steep, so I might lessen the DC to 25, or at least have a limit to how often Santa can use the bag per day. Furthermore, when you say "flee at their normal movement speed", wouldn't you mean running or such? When I imagine fleeing, I imagine them running away as fast as possible, not just going at their usual hussle.

I may have more suggestions later. Again, well done!

The DC of Little Bag of Horrors is 10 + half of Santa's HD + Wisdom Modifier = 27 (10+10+7). I may have to impose a penalty on the DC depending on how far the target is away (e.g. up to 50ft, but for every 5ft beyond 30ft, the DC drops by 2, so it would be DC 25 at 35ft, DC 23 at 40ft, DC 21 at 45ft and DC 19 at 50ft).
And I was intending for the Little Bag of Horrors to be used so that Santa can strike his foes down while they flee in terror. But you're right.

And thankyou.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-05, 10:55 AM
Generally I like it. A few things you left out including his Alignment, the fluff would seem to suggest some variation on Evil, but not necessarily . Also his race, Historically he's described as a Jolly Old Elf, although he'd be by far the fattest elf in D&D.

As far as his Challenge rating....Strictly based on his levels he'd be a CR20 although, since he has 2 Minor Artifacts specifically attuned to him, I could see bumping that up to at least CR22

Right, alignment wise, I thought of this guy as kind of like Batman (hence Chaotic Neutral). He believes in justice, and despite a little lack of mercy, he is still one of the good guys... sort of.

As for race, that's not changing.
This Santa is big, muscly and mean.

CR, well, while I'd agree with him being CR 20+, he does have that weakness of cookies, and his weakness to fire, considering how it automatically bypasses his DR and cuts his SR in half. So possibly CR 20 is just right.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-05, 11:15 AM
I'd go with CR 21. I misread the class levels the first time and only saw 15 for some reason. :smallredface:

Your mindless run for the cookies explanation makes a lot of sense, but I'd include it in Santa's description down in that section so as to clarify it for anyone looking to use him in their game.

Glad I could help! :smallsmile:

Fredthefighter
2009-09-05, 11:26 AM
I'd go with CR 21. I misread the class levels the first time and only saw 15 for some reason. :smallredface:

Your mindless run for the cookies explanation makes a lot of sense, but I'd include it in Santa's description down in that section so as to clarify it for anyone looking to use him in their game.

Glad I could help! :smallsmile:

Thanks for your assisstance.

And Santa is a Level 5 Barbarian/Level 15 Druid.

Also, anyone who wants to use this version of Santa Clause in any of their games is more than welcome to. He's serious enough to be used in a serious campaign, but silly enough to be used in silly campaigns.

Crossblade
2009-09-05, 11:47 AM
I believe O from commissionedcomics webcomic had the Rooftop Lurker posted once upon a time. It was a very evil Santa! I can't find it's states though, sadly.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-05, 11:48 AM
I believe O from commissionedcomics webcomic had the Rooftop Lurker posted once upon a time. It was a very evil Santa! I can't find it's states though, sadly.

This is more of a "One of the good guys, but annoy him and he'll kick the crap out of you" Santa.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-06, 07:31 AM
And here's Rudolph. For this, I took the base stats of a Mule, added the bonuses of being an Animal Companion and added a few extras.
Rudolph
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 13d8+39 (98hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30ft. (6 squares), Fly 50ft (Perfect) or Fly 100ft (Clumsy, when tethered to The Sleigh)
Armor Class: 34 (+13 Natural, +4 Dex, +7 Icemail Barding), touch 14, flat-footed 30.
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+18
Attack: Gore +15 (2d6+7)
Full Attack: Gore +15/+11 (2d6+7) and 2 Hooves +13 (1d4+5)
Space/Reach: 10ft./ 5ft.
Special Attacks: Trample, Aurora beam.
Special Qualities: Link, Share Spells, Improved Evasion, Devotion, SR 23, DR 10/Magic.
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +12, Will +7
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 18, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +11, Spot +11, Survival +10, Climb +10, Jump +10.
Feats: Alterness, Endurance, Weapon focus (Gore), Improved Natural Attack (Gore), Power Attack, Multiattack (B)
Environment: Usually Cold.
Organization: Solitary or with Santa Clause.
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Icemail Barding.
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: ---
Level Adjustment: ---

"That Reindeer over there is looking at us awful funny Richard."

"I know. Wait, what's it doing? Is it.... flying?"

Rudolph is the strongest of Santa's reindeer and his personal animal companion.

Icemail Barding: Rudolph's suit of +3 chainmail barding is similar in many respects to Santa's Icemail. It is attuned to Rudolph and as such cannot be worn by others. In addition, Icemail is light enough to be counted as light armour instead of medium armour.

Trample: Reflex DC 21. Rudolph's trample attack is unusually powerful; it deals 3d6+14 damage.

Aurora Beam: Once per 1d4 rounds, Rudolph may fire a Cone of Cold spell as a 10th level Caster, with Wisdom as his casting statistic. Targets may make a reflex save for half damage (DC 19).

D Knight
2009-09-07, 09:14 AM
so what would happen if you were able to defeat him by some random chance of luck and put on his vestment? would you become the next Santa?

Fredthefighter
2009-09-07, 10:01 AM
so what would happen if you were able to defeat him by some random chance of luck and put on his vestment? would you become the next Santa?

No, the Axe of Winter Festival and the Icemail are attuned to Santa Clause and as such cannot be wielded by anyone else.
However, anyone who defeats Santa could take the Comet Bow, the Sleigh, any of his other items (listed in treasure), and even the Little Sack of Horrors (although the DC of it would change depending on the new user's HD and Wisdom modifier).

deuxhero
2009-09-07, 10:42 AM
Isn't it a DC 40 (decently possible by the time you will fight a CR21 thing) to impersonate a specific person (i.e., Santa)?

The Neoclassic
2009-09-07, 10:46 AM
And here's Rudolph.

Yay! Looks good overall!

Icemail Barding: A suit of +3 Chainmail Barding just like Santa's Icemail.

Better if you actually respecified all those details, in my opinion. Two more sentences won't clog anything up, and clarify/easy-of-access-to-info is always good. Just say:

Icemail Barding: Rudolph's suit of +3 chainmail barding is similar in many respects to Santa's Icemail. It is attuned to Rudolph and as such cannot be worn by others. In addition, Icemail is light enough to be counted as light armour instead of medium armour.

Also, you list Icemail under Rudolph's treasure, but not under Santa's; is this because Rudolph's icemail isn't attuned to him like Santa's?

Trample: Reflex DC 21. Rudolph's trample attack is special in that it deals more damage than usual, Rudolph's trample attack deals 3d6+14 damage.

Fine, but I might simplify the wording as such:

Trample: Reflex DC 21. Rudolph's trample attack is unusually powerful; it deals 3d6+14 damage

Maybe some gnome-like Small tinkering elves would be cool next, if you want to continue along this Christmas theme? :smallwink: Whatever you homebrew next, I look forwad to seeing it!

deuxhero
2009-09-07, 10:51 AM
What is the armor check penelty on icemail branding? It counts as light armor, so I don't think it is the same as normal chain (also, mr red nose is not proficent, so he takes it as a penelty to his attack rolls LTIC)

Fredthefighter
2009-09-07, 11:37 AM
What is the armor check penelty on icemail branding? It counts as light armor, so I don't think it is the same as normal chain (also, mr red nose is not proficent, so he takes it as a penelty to his attack rolls LTIC)

Chainmail is -4, Icemail halves that to -2, and the +3 bonus reduces that to 0. (I seem to have it in my head that an enhancement bonus to Armour reduces the ACP)

The Neoclassic: I may continue with a prestige class called "Santa's little helper".

Isn't it a DC 40 (decently possible by the time you will fight a CR21 thing) to impersonate a specific person (i.e., Santa)?

What does this have to do with anything that was said here?

No one can wear Santa's armour or wield his axe, so even if someone were to try and impersonate Santa, then they would probably take a -5 circumstance penalty for not having all of the things they need to perfectly disguise themselves as Santa Clause.

Also, you list Icemail under Rudolph's treasure, but not under Santa's; is this because Rudolph's icemail isn't attuned to him like Santa's?

Yes, Rudolph's Icemail barding isn't attuned to him. Thanks for all your help.

deuxhero
2009-09-07, 09:36 PM
Oh I neglected to clarifiy. Use Magic Device: DC 40, not disguise. It is the RAW, RAI and RAMS of that skill check to let you use magic items keyed to one person.

Fredthefighter
2009-09-08, 01:07 PM
Oh I neglected to clarifiy. Use Magic Device: DC 40, not disguise. It is the RAW, RAI and RAMS of that skill check to let you use magic items keyed to one person.

Ah. Well, if I DMed a game with this character in, I wouldn't let the PCs have the Icemail or the Axe of Winter Festival, possibly with the fluff excuse being that as Santa dies his corpse turns into snowflakes and blows away in the wind, along with his axe and armour.
Although something like that is up to the DM in the end. If they want their PCs wielding the Axe of Winter Festival and wearing Icemail then they can let their PCs wield the Axe of Winter Festival and wear Icemail.