PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Thread

Berserk Monk
2009-09-05, 09:00 AM
Yes, I know it's only early September, but those of us who are making our own costumes need to start planning early so I decided to make a thread for people to talk about ideas for what they want to go as this year and for people to offer suggestions.

My costume for Halloween is gonna be King Leonidas (not the historical accurate one, the Gerald Butler kicks you into a death pit awesome one). I should be able to make it all in time, but I'm wondering about the size of the shield. Most Greek hoplons are around three feet in diameter, if not more. I saw some trash can lids at my local hardware store that were 22" in diameter. You guys think this is too short for the shield? Originally I was just gonna get on of those round flat sleds, but I don't know where to buy one other than ordering it and this seems more convenient to buy one a store tens minutes away. Thoughts?

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-05, 09:07 AM
My suitemate thinks we should dress up like hobos and just hang around outside, but we're not allowed to have burning oil drums on campus so I think this might be impossible.
I don't know what I'll go as. I think last year I wore a Johns Hopkins sweatshirt and went as a student from another school.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-05, 09:09 AM
My suitemate thinks we should dress up like hobos and just hang around outside, but we're not allowed to have burning oil drums on campus so I think this might be impossible.
I don't know what I'll go as. I think last year I wore a Johns Hopkins sweatshirt and went as a student from another school.

Dressing up a homeless person wouldn't work at my college. Since it's an art school, at least 80% of the students dress like bums, also, it's in a city so they are some homeless.

Helanna
2009-09-05, 09:12 AM
Oooh, I'm gonna hang around and hopefully pick up some ideas from this thread. I never have any idea what I want to be until it's too late to really pick up a good costume.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-05, 09:14 AM
Oooh, I'm gonna hang around and hopefully pick up some ideas from this thread. I never have any idea what I want to be until it's too late to really pick up a good costume.

Well, you could just conform and dress up as one of Alan Moore's cheerful characters from Watchmen. A friend of mine also had an idea for a man-bear-pig costume. It be a lot of work, but it'd also be awesome.

Kara Kuro
2009-09-05, 09:32 AM
Berserk Monk: If you're looking for shield material, I don't know how long you're planning on keeping this costume into the future... But if you don't want to spring for plywood or a heavier, harder to cut medium, you could always try a thick foam core or something. It'd be light, cheap and easy to work with.

You can even bow it out with water if the design calls for it. (I haven't seen 300 for a while and I can't recall the exact design).

As for me, I think I'll probably end up as one of my own characters:
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/karakuro/RedMoon.jpg?t=1252161376
Granted, for her I don't know which costume I would do. She has so many. But I already have the wig more or less and the horns and tail.

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs48/i/2009/160/a/2/Demon__s_Smirk_by_Kara_Pfee.jpg
I'd have to do all-around more work on this one. I'd have to cut, dye and style a wig. In addition to making his horns and possibly wings, I also don't know what I'd wear as this one either though.

mikej
2009-09-05, 09:39 AM
Altaïr from Assassin's Creed. Should probally see if I've that day off and put some thought into how I'm going to pull it off.

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-05, 11:24 AM
I'd definitely order a saucer sled online and hit it up with some bronze spray paint. A garbage can lid is way too small.

I'm pretty stumped for a costume this year. Last year's Valhallen costume was awesome, but now I feel like I'v done too many super hero outfits for a while.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-09-05, 11:59 AM
Last year, I went as my own version of the Mad Hatter.
Or, really, what I could throw together with as little money thrown in as possible.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Hito-chan/100_0596.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Hito-chan/100_0606.jpg

That Chuckie there would be my little brother I took out for trick-er-treating.

This year, I plan on being similarly lazy and buying a pair of feathery black wings and putting them on over something I already own.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-05, 12:27 PM
I'd definitely order a saucer sled online and hit it up with some bronze spray paint. A garbage can lid is way too small.

Well, the garbage can lib is 22" in diameter, and all the sleds are 26". I don't know. I've seen some online that were 36" in diameter, but those were either over one hundred dollars (a price I refuse to pay for something I'll probably only use once and end up spray painting) or look not like a shield so much.* It does look more like a shield, but I'm not sure if that much little area is worth it. Thoughts on what to buy.

*Those sledges look like this:
http://www.supremehardware.com/catalog/492314.jpg
Too many handles for it to be a shield.

Raistlin1040
2009-09-05, 12:41 PM
Either Ziggy Stardust or Ace Frehley (as The Spaceman), most likely. No I have no idea how I would do it.

EndlessWrath
2009-09-06, 01:14 AM
I did vincent valentine last year. With my long black hair and pale skin and my ability to improvise, i made a pretty simple and easy but good looking costume. Gauntlet was only thing that didn't survive..it was made out of duck-taped and spray-painted plastic cups and bear claws.

I always considered other things.. but not sure. William Wallace from braveheart was one i've wanted to do for a while, and Auron from FFX. Auron might be my next costume if i can manage it

RabbitHoleLost
2009-09-06, 02:28 AM
Apparantly, I am crossdressing as Robert Smith for Halloween.
It was decided for me.
I'm going to need some crazy hair glue/gel/whatever

Ichneumon
2009-09-06, 02:43 AM
If we did Halloween over here, which we donīt. I would dress op as Mr. Spock from Star Trek and show of my ability to do the vulcan salute to absolute strangers who donīt get it.

Froogleyboy
2009-09-06, 11:30 AM
I am (for the tenth year in a row) going as a pimp-ass vampire

V'icternus
2009-09-06, 11:34 AM
Darth Vader. When he says trick or treat, you'd better pick one, fast.

Xallace
2009-09-06, 11:35 AM
I'm still not sure how I'm going to beat going as an IRS Tax Audit agent like I did previously (Hey, they wanted scary). Any suggestions?

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-06, 11:38 AM
I am (for the tenth year in a row) going as a pimp-ass vampire

Like with excessive gold chains, a purple track suit and a giant floppy hat?

:smallconfused:

Eon
2009-09-06, 11:42 AM
I'm so glad i don't have/get to choose. I go over to one of my neighbor's houses and me and my friend and usually one or two more go and help scare people. we use his costumes and he has a lot of stuff he sets up. one day at a time. starting early october. it's awesome.

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-06, 01:01 PM
We've decided to dress in black cloaks and zombie makeup and sit behind some trees or something and play really creepy and ominous music with my keyboard outside along campus walk.

Nameless
2009-09-06, 01:59 PM
Berserk Monk: If you're looking for shield material, I don't know how long you're planning on keeping this costume into the future... But if you don't want to spring for plywood or a heavier, harder to cut medium, you could always try a thick foam core or something. It'd be light, cheap and easy to work with.

You can even bow it out with water if the design calls for it. (I haven't seen 300 for a while and I can't recall the exact design).

Granted, for her I don't know which costume I would do. She has so many. But I already have the wig more or less and the horns and tail.

I'd have to do all-around more work on this one. I'd have to cut, dye and style a wig. In addition to making his horns and possibly wings, I also don't know what I'd wear as this one either though.

Shouldn't you save that for like, a Convention or something? :smalltongue:

Personally, I'm kind of locust on October's London Expo (http://www.londonexpo.com/) So I'll probably just use it as an excuse to dress in my nice clothes without getting any creepy looks. But I'm really not sure yet.

Hadessniper
2009-09-06, 02:36 PM
I'm a big guy with long hair and a beard so it's almost illegal for me not to go as a pirate.

Nameless
2009-09-06, 02:38 PM
I'm a big guy with long hair and a beard so it's almost illegal for me not to go as a pirate.

Viking. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2009-09-06, 02:55 PM
Last year I was Dr. Igor Nosferatu, Vampire Mad Scientist at Large.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2386/igornosfaratuy.jpg
This year since I plan on going to a convention this year, plans will be less elaborate. There will be a zombie walk, so I plan to go as Death, scythe and everything, but with the scythe holding a placard saying, "Put Down Your Scythe, Death On Strike. SUPPORT LOCAL REAPERS #666 "

Haruki-kun
2009-09-06, 03:20 PM
Last year I put on a V for Vendetta Mask and a suit and went as Anonymous. It was fun, but I've no pictures.

I thought about going as the joker, but then I realized there'd be no more overused costume than that one. I may have been right.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-06, 07:30 PM
Last year I put on a V for Vendetta Mask and a suit and went as Anonymous. It was fun, but I've no pictures.

I thought about going as the joker, but then I realized there'd be no more overused costume than that one. I may have been right.

Last year, my friend briefly talked about going as the joker from the one scene in the Dark Knight where he had a nurse's outfit on.

Xyk
2009-09-06, 08:09 PM
I'm thinking generic super-hero complete with spandex (maybe a foam muscle suit), and briefs on the outside. It will be glorious.

Gem Flower
2009-09-06, 09:04 PM
I have this awesome black and gold mask with black feathers I got in Venice, so I'm wearing a black dress with it and going as some random Venetian courtier. Scary, eh? :smalltongue:

Helanna
2009-09-06, 09:35 PM
Last year, my friend briefly talked about going as the joker from the one scene in the Dark Knight where he had a nurse's outfit on.

That would absolutely amazing. Seeing someone in that costume would probably make my week.:smallbiggrin:

So I've decided I might like to sew a Halloween costume this year, since I have a lot of free time and I think sewing would be a nice hobby to take up. However, as usual, I have no ideas as to a Halloween costume. So, as usual, I turn to these forums for help!

Whatever I make would be hand-sewn, by necessity. I'm not real great at sewing, so it would need to be at least fairly simple. However, like I said, I have a ton of free time, so time isn't really an issue. I know I could find a lot of free costume ideas online, but I don't want to go *too* generic, I'm always something really generic. I want to break the pattern this year.

So - cheap, fairly simple, but not too generic. Does anybody have any ideas that fit my almost-mutually-exclusive requirements?

Pika...
2009-09-06, 09:42 PM
Sadly my religious mother never let me celebrate Halloween, and now I feel I am far too old for it.

Eh. I will make sure my kids one day enjoy it twice as much! :smallsmile:

Fostire
2009-09-06, 09:55 PM
I had this crazy idea of going to the zoo with some friends, dressed as santa and elves. We would go to where the reindeer are and scream things like: "GIVE ME MY REINDEER BACK", and "YOU'RE RUINING CHRISTMAS FOR THE CHILDREN" until they either kick us out or they release the reindeer :smalltongue:.
The problem is I'm new in town and I haven't yet met anyone crazy enough to go with me, and I doubt I will in time for Halloween.
Then again, there's nothing saying I have to do this in Halloween, and this will probably be way funnier near Christmas :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2009-09-06, 09:58 PM
Sadly my religious mother never let me celebrate Halloween, and now I feel I am far too old for it.

Eh. I will make sure my kids one day enjoy it twice as much! :smallsmile:
It is never too late to celebrate National Cavity Day! Followed by National Belly Ache Day and Never Touching Another Milk Dud Again Day.

Pika...
2009-09-06, 10:09 PM
It is never too late to celebrate National Cavity Day! Followed by National Belly Ache Day and Never Touching Another Milk Dud Again Day.

At 23?

Nah. Thanks, but it is just one of those things that itches you from childhood. Nothing big. :smallsmile:

Pika...
2009-09-06, 10:10 PM
Oh, and I ahve dropped from 238lbs to 226lbs in like six months, so I probably should avoid the candy anyway.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-06, 10:34 PM
Oh, and I ahve dropped from 238lbs to 226lbs in like six months, so I probably should avoid the candy anyway.

Yeah, candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.

OverdrivePrime
2009-09-07, 09:05 AM

Sacrilege! You are never too old for Halloween. Not at 23, not at 32 (like me), not at 132. Once you're past your minor years, it becomes International Awesome Excuse to Dress Up and Be Silly and Probably Intoxicated Day. Which is awesome.

Berserk Monk
2009-09-07, 11:58 AM
Sacrilege! You are never too old for Halloween. Not at 23, not at 32 (like me), not at 132. Once you're past your minor years, it becomes International Awesome Excuse to Dress Up and Be Silly and Probably Intoxicated Day. Which is awesome.

And for some it means "dress up like a slut with a theme but you're not slutty because it's a holiday and you're in costume."

Cobra_Ikari
2009-09-07, 12:16 PM

I can't believe I forgot to comment on this.

Your character is totally swoonworthy. I definitely approve. *nodnod*