PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need help. Need a Kercpa Racial Progression.

Pika...
2009-09-05, 11:44 AM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/Celestialdragon100/Accessory-DragonMagazine214_Page-1.png

Maybe one or two people may remember the Kercpa from 2nd. Luckily for me, the guy who updated a lot of the older edition material to 3.x in his Tomes of Horror series of books, who is connected somehow to Enworld (I have no clue why it's all listed on his site) updated them to 3.5:
http://www.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=875

Well, it turns out that one of my new players has always wanted to play a squirrel, so I wish to make that happen for him.

The thing is it's a level 1 party, so I need to figure out a racial progression for him, but sucked heavily the last time I tried to do one.

p.s. He is apparently going to be a barbarian, hence the main melee member of the adventuring group...

Eloel
2009-09-05, 12:13 PM
A tiny barbarian will have alot of problems, first being 0-range, 2nd being, well, easy to grapple and thus negate all that greataxe stuff.

Pika...
2009-09-05, 10:12 PM
A tiny barbarian will have alot of problems, first being 0-range, 2nd being, well, easy to grapple and thus negate all that greataxe stuff.

So what are you suggesting?

p.s.By the way, this is a low-magic cosmology, so I doubt he'd enter a caster class. At most perhaps an adapt is occasionally allowed.

Mando Knight
2009-09-05, 10:33 PM

And third, using tiny-sized weapons, which will make the variable damage look like a pittance compared to a medium-sized weapon user...

Cieyrin
2009-09-06, 12:16 AM
I don't think you can make the race into a very useful monster class, as by adding a class level, you can drop the racial hit die and eventually buy off the LA. It's just not a suitable race to start as a 1st level character as, unfortunately.

Dracomorph
2009-09-06, 12:36 AM
If the player is going to be a barbarian/melee dude as primary party role, you could probably drop the LA to +1. Itty-bitty size, strength penalty, etc. do not a great damage monster make.

I mean, if he decided he'd rather be a rogue or something, add an LA or two, but if he wants to melee and damage soak? Man, NOT a powerful race.

Pika...
2009-09-06, 12:58 AM
If the player is going to be a barbarian/melee dude as primary party role, you could probably drop the LA to +1. Itty-bitty size, strength penalty, etc. do not a great damage monster make.

I mean, if he decided he'd rather be a rogue or something, add an LA or two, but if he wants to melee and damage soak? Man, NOT a powerful race.

Well, I myself have had things I have wanted to play for years, but rarely get a DM willing to let me play my "unusual" requests. He plain out said "I might never get another chance to play a squirrel again like I've wanted, so I am going to take it!".

I like the idea of dropping the LA to +1 if he chooses to stay within bmelee classes. Anyone agree? Or would it still be "broken"? I imagine the roleplaying would be amazing.

Cieyrin
2009-09-06, 12:11 PM
Well, I myself have had things I have wanted to play for years, but rarely get a DM willing to let me play my "unusual" requests. He plain out said "I might never get another chance to play a squirrel again like I've wanted, so I am going to take it!".

I like the idea of dropping the LA to +1 if he chooses to stay within bmelee classes. Anyone agree? Or would it still be "broken"? I imagine the roleplaying would be amazing.

It's not so much broken as not very viable for a low level character to go after. Also, the race is built to be an archer, if all it's racial abilities are any indication, so going Barbarian just doesn't seem the right path to go, as the rage bonuses cancel out the racial Strength penalties (and I guess exacerbate the racial con bonus. Yeesh, buff squirrel is buff @_@).

Even if you made a monstrous class progression, he would be sitting on one hit die till he hit 5th, which sounds to me like a quick way to die. It's not that I want to quash his character idea, I just don't see a way of going that way as a first level character.

...well, unless he wants to just take the LA +3, be an ECL 4 character with 1st level loot and just take reduced XP (as it shouldn't be a challenge for him like the other PCs, so he naturally gets less XP than they do). He'll just have to realize that he's going to be fragile till the rest of the party catches up, he's gonna be dependent on his racial bonuses till that time to be even a modicum of a threat in combat and that he should probably install a saddle on the party meat shield to act as a mobile ranged platform.:smallbiggrin:

horseboy
2009-09-07, 02:44 AM
Is he married to the idea of being a Kercpa or a squirrel? There's this splat book called Freeform Anthropomorphica that would let them create a small, medium or (terror) a Large squirrel if he just wants to be a squirrel.