PDA

View Full Version : Wizards and Vow of Poverty

quick_comment
2009-09-05, 12:03 PM
Is there any way for a Vow of Poverty wizard to expand his or her spellbook? Could he give it to a friend, have the friend scribe the spells and give him the book back?

Eloel
2009-09-05, 12:09 PM
A VoP character can't own a spellbook, let alone expand it.

Yora
2009-09-05, 12:17 PM
That's a tough one.

A big leatherbound tome is probably quite expensive by itself. But the information contained inside are much more valuable. But you can't really say Vow of Poverty forbids you to possess knowledge, because knowledge is valuable.

If you manage to find a way to write your spells down without owning a luxury item like a leatherbound tome of paper pages, I would allow it. A burlap sack full with scrolls of cheap vellum would be okay in my oppinion, as they don't allow the character to live a life in luxury.

BUT I would forbid the use of spells like Fabricate or Magnificent Mansion. Sleeping in a Magnificient Mansion is not an ascetic lifestyle. :smallbiggrin:

Morty
2009-09-05, 12:23 PM
Sleeping in a Magnificient Mansion is not an ascetic lifestyle. :smallbiggrin:

Magnificent Mansion was written while smoking something illegal anyway.
As for the topic at hand, having a friend scribe the spells would perhaps work, though one might argue that a spellbook is worth as much as all the spells in it cost. And does VoP let one use material components?

Kylarra
2009-09-05, 12:25 PM
CArcane does provide the Tattoo Spellbook option, which, I guess if you restrict yourself to just known level up spells, you could make use of it. Otherwise it costs 2x the amount of gp worth of ink etc.

Keep in mind you only have the equivalent of 48 pages easily visible, with an additional up to 32 if you use mirrors/scrying/familiar assistance.

quick_comment
2009-09-05, 12:27 PM
. And does VoP let one use material components?

Yes, but only if you borrow it from someone else. Or you can expend XP instead.

tyckspoon
2009-09-05, 12:30 PM
As for the topic at hand, having a friend scribe the spells would perhaps work, though one might argue that a spellbook is worth as much as all the spells in it cost. And does VoP let one use material components?

Costly components can be paid in XP instead of GP. I don't remember the relevant text for mundane components, but I think it was something really silly, so.. probably you're allowed to carry components, since they have no inherent value, but you're not allowed to just buy a component pouch? *shrug* You probably want to get Eschew Materials no matter what the rules say just so you don't have to worry about it. Most DMs should let a VoP Wizard trade Scribe Scroll for it.

Kylarra
2009-09-05, 12:34 PM
VoP allows you carry a spell component pouch, but expensive components need to be gotten from a friend or replaced at 1xp -> 5gp value.

Jack_Simth
2009-09-05, 12:42 PM
Costly components can be paid in XP instead of GP. I don't remember the relevant text for mundane components, but I think it was something really silly, so.. probably you're allowed to carry components, since they have no inherent value, but you're not allowed to just buy a component pouch? *shrug* You probably want to get Eschew Materials no matter what the rules say just so you don't have to worry about it. Most DMs should let a VoP Wizard trade Scribe Scroll for it.

A spell Components Pouch is one of the things explicitly permitted by the Vow of Poverty. Buying it might be an issue, but you're allowed to have one from before you took the vow, or take one as loot off of a fallen caster opponent.

KaganMonk
2009-09-05, 02:11 PM
Or fill it with components you scavenge along the way?

herceg
2009-09-05, 03:48 PM
Oh, no no. If you're making a Vow of Poverty (if your DM allows it), simply forget your familiar and use Eiditic Spellcaster from Dragon 357 ;) Problem solved :)

Kylarra
2009-09-05, 03:53 PM
Oh, no no. If you're making a Vow of Poverty (if your DM allows it), simply forget your familiar and use Eiditic Spellcaster from Dragon 357 ;) Problem solved :)
Huh, learn something new every day. I assume that swaps your familiar for not needing a spellbook at all? Can you still "scribe" spells?

herceg
2009-09-05, 03:57 PM
Huh, learn something new every day. I assume that swaps your familiar for not needing a spellbook at all? Can you still "scribe" spells?

Yes, but you also lose the free Scribe Scroll feat. You can still "write spells" into your "mental spellbook" for the same cost, except you spend it on incenses and stuff.

EDIT: Though I'd be curious how Spell Mastery works after this... (because, effectively, all your spells are in your mind/head/memory already...)

Kylarra
2009-09-05, 03:58 PM
Yes, but you also lost the free Scribe Scroll feat. You can still "write spells" into your "mental spellbook" for the same cost, except you spend it on incenses and stuff
Hmm not bad. I think I'll try to push that one on my next caster.

Forbiddenwar
2009-09-05, 03:59 PM
VOP expressly forbids a spellbook of any kind. Even tattoos (which are expensive). VOP means that all your money is going to others. Period. So no buying or selling for VOP characters.
Now, that is a RAW answer. Of course it depends on your DM. Ask him/her what is allowed in that specific game.

quick_comment
2009-09-05, 04:02 PM
VOP expressly forbids a spellbook of any kind.

No it doesnt. It implicitly bans them, because they are expensive. Of course, a spellbook written in code that nobody else can translate has no value, so its ok to have. The real problem is the magical ink required to scribe new spells.

Kylarra
2009-09-05, 04:07 PM
VOP expressly forbids a spellbook of any kind. Even tattoos (which are expensive). VOP means that all your money is going to others. Period. So no buying or selling for VOP characters.
Now, that is a RAW answer. Of course it depends on your DM. Ask him/her what is allowed in that specific game.That's why I said it is plausible that you could get away with tattooing your body with your "free" 2 spell/lvl since you don't pay any costs for that, they just magically appear in your spellbook normally. It'd be a pretty interesting to fluff that one imo.