PDA

View Full Version : Lawyers ITP?

Froogleyboy
2009-09-05, 03:59 PM
Okay, I need a lawyer (or someone who knows the law) to tell me the penalty for threatening someone? (in America)

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-05, 04:01 PM
That depends on your state and the severity of the threat.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-05, 04:01 PM
are you on the receiving end of the threats or making them yourself?

Froogleyboy
2009-09-05, 04:02 PM
That depends on your state and the severity of the threat.

Okay, let say . . . I threatened to kill someone ? In alabama?

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-05, 04:03 PM
have you made the threats yet?

(this is all pertninent)

Froogleyboy
2009-09-05, 04:04 PM
have you made the threats yet?

(this is all pertninent)

yes, thats the problem

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-05, 04:06 PM
What is your relationship with the person you made the threat to? Could you convince the person not to sue/whatever you?

Froogleyboy
2009-09-05, 04:09 PM
What is your relationship with the person you made the threat to? Could you convince the person not to sue/whatever you?

We're friends, it's his parents I'm worried about.

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-05, 04:11 PM
silly froogleboy is silly

i only have a vague knowledge of the us legal system, but from what i do know you could potentially be looking at a prison stretch on this one - depending on the circumstances under which the threat was made/your age/the disposition of the defendant

if you're arrested, lawyer up
make a deal
plead guilty

if you're lucky you'll get probation (or whatever the equivilant is in the states), or a suspended sentence... i wouldn't get my hopes up

Xsesiv
Was the threat made in a joking manner? Or was it reasonable, at the time, for him to believe you'd cause him harm?

Renegade Paladin
I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that asking for legal advice on a public message board is a bad idea.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-05, 04:12 PM
If the person you threatened isn't wanting to press charges against you, you've got a good case. The older your friend, the better.

Especially if your friend is willing to argue for your case.

And what Renegade said.

Also: I am not a lawyer, I don't claim to be one. I'm a art student. Which is pretty much the opposite, I guess...

xPANCAKEx
2009-09-05, 04:12 PM
I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that asking for legal advice on a public message board is a bad idea.

a worthy point

how old are you anyway froogleboy?

Froogleyboy
2009-09-05, 04:15 PM
a worthy point

how old are you anyway froogleboy?

I'm fifteen

Spiryt
2009-09-05, 04:15 PM
Was the threat made in a joking manner? Or was it reasonable, at the time, for him to believe you'd cause him harm?

This.

Does this person actually feel threatened? Will testify against you/won't stop anybody from doing so?

Froogleyboy
2009-09-05, 04:16 PM
Well, I was screaming and I threw a screwdriver at him

Dallas-Dakota
2009-09-05, 04:17 PM
I think it's best for you to talk to him, test out the waters and apologize. Or do that by e-mail/letter if you feel you can't do that for a particular reason.

See what his stance on this is.

Elm11
2009-09-05, 04:21 PM
I'm fairly sure that if you threw a screw driver at him, shouting death threats is the least of your issues. A good lawyer (though, i have very limited knowledge of the law) could turn that in a fairly severe penalty (as in prison, or massive fines + suspended sentance)

Weimann
2009-09-05, 04:22 PM
If you are worried, call him (right now, or as soon as you can) and apologize for throwing the screwdriver and for threatening to kill him. If you are worried about the guy's father, you should probably apologize to him too.

If the two of you had an argument, this apology doesn't have to mean you forgive him for whatever it was you were fighting about, however. You can still be agnry at him for that. But make clear that you don't intend to kill him. Make clear it was wrong and false to say such a thing. Then you can work on whatever it was you were fighting about.

Edit: My point is that if you calm the seas right away, it doesn't matter how good a case a lawyer might have, because there'd be no case.

Fin
2009-09-05, 04:27 PM
Assuming that you have no prior convictions for such an offense and I am also assuming that were under duress. I imagine that no-one would even take this to court, but you are in the Ridiculous court case capital of the world so I digress.

Your under 16 and as such a minor. They can't charge you as an adult for such a minor offense and they can't sue a man of straw (you have no money so they can't sue you).

Also your friend would have to prove he was sufficiently scared of you actually killing him which I doubt that he could considering he was being faced by a 15 year old in a temper fit.

So in summary I wouldn't worry.

Renegade Paladin
2009-09-05, 04:32 PM
they can't sue a man of straw (you have no money so they can't sue you).
Wanna bet?

Fin
2009-09-05, 04:35 PM
Wanna bet?

My apologies if that one is wrong, but in England that is the law they can only sue you for what you have.

Beside my point about him being unable to be tried due to his age still stands.

Elm11
2009-09-05, 04:36 PM
Wanna bet?

And therin lies the problem. Like was just stated, Alabama is the rediculous court case capital of the world. There's a fair chance that the other boy's parents can sue Froogleyboy's parents.

Dallas-Dakota
I think the money stuffs would go through his parents, considering he's just 15.

Renegade Paladin
My apologies if that one is wrong, but in England that is the law they can only sue you for what you have.

Beside my point about him being unable to be tried due to his age still stands.
Oh, it does, but I have practically nothing and am being sued for $105,505.81 over a house fire, so...

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-05, 04:37 PM

Agreed. And what would be worse would be for an actual lawyer to give you advice over the internet, though hopefully an actual lawyer would be wise enough not to do so.

Renegade Paladin
2009-09-05, 04:38 PM
Agreed. And what would be worse would be for an actual lawyer to give you advice over the internet.
Fortunately for the lawyers, most of them are not that dumb.

Fin
2009-09-05, 04:38 PM
And therin lies the problem. Like was just stated, Alabama is the rediculous court case capital of the world. There's a fair chance that the other boy's parents can sue Froogleyboy's parents.

Although I am not familiar with the American system I am fairly confident that:

A) Kid Victim's parents can't technically sue anyone, no damges have been done to them. Though they could sue on his behalf I suppose.

B) Froogleyboy's parents are not liable for his actions. Similarly if he had killed his friend his parents wouldn't be tried for murder.

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-05, 04:41 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: In fact, now that I think about it giving legal advice without a license is crime in most states and a felony in some states, so I should probably lock this. Thread locked.