PDA

View Full Version : Fyron Pucebuckle Jr? (SoD Spoilers)

Ted The Bug
2009-09-05, 11:05 PM
In pages 110 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html) and 434 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html), Roy mentions that Xykon not only murdered Fyron, but also killed Fyron's son. I've checked books 1 and 3, and the line is still there. Now, WaXPs came out after SoD, where the full story was revealed, so either the line is still there by accident, or there's some other story that Roy knows about that we inexplicably don't. Or I'm an idiot and overlooked something obvious, which is indeed a possibility at this time of night.
If this has been mentioned/discussed/debunked before, I'm sorry.

FujinAkari
2009-09-05, 11:20 PM
The best guess is that Fyron's son went after Xykon for vengeance and got himself killed.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-06, 12:56 AM
If this has been mentioned/discussed/debunked before, I'm sorry.
It's been mentioned before, but there's no definitive answer. It's a strange anomaly, and one which could easily be written off by saying that the early strips were made when the comic was still finding its feet, and it's therefore just a minor continuity error... if it weren't for Roy mentioning it again in #434.

It could just be that Roy is mistaken, but since Eugene never mentioned Fyron's son at all when he told Roy about the blood oath, it's anyone's guess where Roy got the idea from.

OmegaDonut
2009-09-06, 06:40 PM
I'm betting it's kinda like when Obi-Wan retconned Vader killing Luke's father.

Something about how Eugene was a son to Fyron, and when Eugene became a Blood-Oath-of-Vengeance-seeking man he "killed" the curious, studious Eugene that was Fyron's "son".

Yeah, that'd be hilariously awkward for Eugene to try and explain that to Roy.

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-06, 06:58 PM
I'm betting it's kinda like when Obi-Wan retconned Vader killing Luke's father.

Something about how Eugene was a son to Fyron, and when Eugene became a Blood-Oath-of-Vengeance-seeking man he "killed" the curious, studious Eugene that was Fyron's "son".

Yeah, that'd be hilariously awkward for Eugene to try and explain that to Roy.
That still doesn't fit, though. The scene where Eugene comes to see Roy (after years of no contact) to tell him about the blood oath is included in both SoD and OtOoPCs, with extensive flashbacks, and Eugene doesn't mention anything about a son anywhere.

Given how little contact the two of them had, and also that Eugene died shortly after that scene took place, it's unlikely that Eugene came to Roy at a later date and said, "Oh, you know how I told you Xykon killed Master Fyron? Well, he killed his son as well. Which makes it EVEN WORSE". But it's even more unlikely that he would now say, "That son of Fyron's that I told you was killed by Xykon? Yeah, that was referring to my own metaphorical death", because as we saw, Eugene never told Roy about a son in the first place.

AlexG
2009-09-06, 07:06 PM
roy could possibly just have mis-interpreted his dads story, and thought Xykon killed fyrons son

Nimrod's Son
2009-09-06, 07:32 PM
roy could possibly just have mis-interpreted his dads story, and thought Xykon killed fyrons son
Yeah, I already said that. But why? The way Eugene tells the story makes it seem that Roy has never heard of Fyron before that day, so he would have no reason to think Fyron ever even had a son, let alone that Xykon killed him.

And if Roy simply wasn't paying attention to what Eugene told him, why would he be interested enough to ask for clarification of details, such as what it was that Xykon stole from Fyron's museum?