PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 What challenges, plot hooks, arks, arches, etc would you give a squirrel barbarba

Pika...
2009-09-06, 01:50 AM
If you've seen my other recent thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123923) you might know that I recently got a new PC/player. Apparently, he wants to play a Kercpa (2ed awakened squirrel race).

I am all for it, but sadly have never ran for a tiny sized PC. I am not quite sure how to challenge such a PC/player, what arks would be appropriate, what a good rival/nemesis would be, how to account for it's sneaky abilities (uber hide and climb speed...), etc.

Can anyone experienced with such things please give a newer DM some advice?

Kylarra
2009-09-06, 01:56 AM
An acorn. That he can never reach or obtain as the very world around him conspires in a series of unfortunate events to prevent him from keeping it for longer than about 6 seconds.

Ferrin
2009-09-06, 05:04 AM
Well, I'd love to help, but without knowing his character idea(personality, skills etc. or how he got them) I can't help much. Though obviously the acorn one should give some comedy relief. (play a Frostburn setting :smalltongue:)

Hmm, though for any tiny sized animal-like person it's hard to fit in society. Maybe he likes it that way, acts as a familiar to another party member, or demand attention everywhere he goes. (tiny squirrel with a loud voice on someones head, on a bar-table, or on the road as he's trying to avoid getting squished underfoot).

Mordokai
2009-09-06, 05:05 AM
An acorn. That he can never reach or obtain as the very world around him conspires in a series of unfortunate events to prevent him from keeping it for longer than about 6 seconds.

Somebody has been watching Ice Age too much, me thinks...

Kylarra
2009-09-06, 09:41 AM
Somebody has been watching Ice Age too much, me thinks...
Perhaps... :smallbiggrin:

Dragon Elite
2009-09-06, 09:44 AM
Dire rat. And the acorn (with Geas/Quest) would be hilarious

boomwolf
2009-09-06, 09:55 AM
Well, it depends on the personality of the squirrel.

Barbarian would be hard, I never managed to think of proper hooks/arks or anything for them, I too often see them as "kill and destroy" rampage dude...

If good I would make him a good friend of one of the characters, or being saves from his nemesis by the party, being "in debt" he decided to join them.

Any alignment can use the vengeance hook after the nemesis who killed everyone you know and care about, and you survived by sheer luck.

Anyway, for a nemesis you MUST use a werewolf, or weretiger, or something like that.

woodenbandman
2009-09-06, 10:51 AM
Agreed. Weretiger, who is the king of the land. He kidnaps the squirrel's girlfriend, which the squirrel comes home to discover after a night of hard drinking, and he must go on an epic quest of money and redemption to get her back.

Pika...
2009-09-06, 01:52 PM
Oh, by the way I forgot to mention that near the end of our last session he got covered in "dark Water", so rolled on the Warp Touched table in the Book of Vile Darkness. He got the roll twice roll initially.

He then received:

1. Your skin/fir is of different patchy colors. He ended up rolling four different colors, all bright colorful ones.

2. He rolled the formless ooze one, but I had already altered it. Basically, he can turn into this 3/day for rounds = to ECL:

http://www.aksdal.no/christian/offline/poringempire/images/poring.gif

Since the two results seemed to match so well, I decided to give him the Native Outsider (Candy) subtype.

Pika...
2009-09-06, 04:22 PM
Agreed. Weretiger, who is the king of the land. He kidnaps the squirrel's girlfriend, which the squirrel comes home to discover after a night of hard drinking, and he must go on an epic quest of money and redemption to get her back.

Anyway, for a nemesis you MUST use a werewolf, or weretiger, or something like that.

Why do you two suggest were-tigers/wolves so adamantly? Am I missing a reference?

Dire rat. And the acorn (with Geas/Quest) would be hilarious

Why do you suggest a dire rat?

And I will have to look up the Geas/Quest spells to figure out what they do.

Well, I'd love to help, but without knowing his character idea(personality, skills etc. or how he got them) I can't help much. Though obviously the acorn one should give some comedy relief. (play a Frostburn setting :smalltongue:)

Hmm, though for any tiny sized animal-like person it's hard to fit in society. Maybe he likes it that way, acts as a familiar to another party member, or demand attention everywhere he goes. (tiny squirrel with a loud voice on someones head, on a bar-table, or on the road as he's trying to avoid getting squished underfoot).

Once he emails me his background sheet I will post it. Thanks! :smallsmile:

Oh, that is soo wrong. :smallbiggrin:

However, I can only think of about three ways for the acorn to suddenly appear mid adventure a) Bird takes it, then drops out down later on his head, b) an ogre comes passing by while acorn is on branch, launching it on an across earth orbit journey into it "just happens" to land just outside arms reach of the PC, c) OK, I only have too...

p.s. As for another Nemesis option.

I go by the 3.0 book (forgot which at the moment) rule mention where it says familiars keep their gained bonuses and abilities if their master dies. Considering all adapts have familiars, what do you think of:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/4983_119140956082_725096082_3302422.jpg

daggaz
2009-09-07, 02:14 AM
Kick him in the nuts.

And no, I dont mean his little furry squirrel nuts. Also, don't waste time on stealing his acorn. Steal all of his acorns.

His nemesis is a blighter, who is slowly but surely destroying the great forest to power his evil spells. The reason he is doing this is the reason the rest of the group is bent on stopping him; the blighter's evil plans threaten the humanoid races as well, albeigt on a level more sinister and evil.

Thus was Chippy the great squirrel barbarian united with the forces of good, to stop evil plans of Grometh the Foul, lest the great forest be felled, and the human kingdoms enslaved for all time.

As well, I would recommend the mountain rage feat for barbarians. Think its in races of destiny, but not sure. Basically, he grows a size category when he rages, putting him up to small and letting him bypass the huge restrictions of being tiny in melee combat.

horseboy
2009-09-07, 02:59 AM
I go by the 3.0 book (forgot which at the moment) rule mention where it says familiars keep their gained bonuses and abilities if their master dies. Considering all adapts have familiars, what do you think of:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/4983_119140956082_725096082_3302422.jpg

Ahh, Dutch are so cute. Anyway, I've got a player that regularly plays a windling in my Earthdawn games. 18" and flies. His swordmaster works in combat by being a crit machine and using social abilities. I've got no idea how it could work in D&D mechanics.

For a nemesis it depends on what you want to do. For a more combative character you could probably go with awakened house cat who torments him simply because he can. For a more heartfelt conflict there's always the brother vs. brother, but this time the NPC is the "good" one. He's the one bringing shame and dishonour on the family, or maybe they're fighting over a woman.

As far as accounting for the sneakieness, well, there's again not a whole lot you can do about it mechanically, short of making everyone a druid.

Pika...
2009-09-07, 04:54 AM
For a nemesis it depends on what you want to do. For a more combative character you could probably go with awakened house cat who torments him simply because he can.

Ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh! I have always wanted to try TPKing a lv.11 party with cats. This is an awesome idea. I like it quite a bit.

I think I will make him the ex-familiar of a dead adapt, who I am guess he might have betrayed, and have him lead a group of normal hosue cats to ambush the squirrel and his group in the city. This is perfect. :smallbiggrin:

sofawall
2009-09-07, 05:54 AM
As well, I would recommend the mountain rage feat for barbarians. Think its in races of destiny, but not sure. Basically, he grows a size category when he rages, putting him up to small and letting him bypass the huge restrictions of being tiny in melee combat.

Isn't that a Goliath racial substitution level in Races of Stone?

daggaz
2009-09-07, 09:15 AM
probably. i cant remember. he should still take it =) a kind DM would allow this.

Cieyrin
2009-09-07, 09:55 AM

We're just gonna make suggestions based off of references to famous animated squirrels, aren't we? *le sigh*

Anyways, from the squirrel races background, they seem to be strong allies of the elves, which would put them squarely in conflict with the gnollish and orcish nations of your world. So, if nothing else, you can run elvish plots for him.

For personal quest goals, he should be on the constant mission to find the biggest weapon he can wield and ways to wield bigger ones. Unfortunately, with the way the weapon size table scales for smaller than medium creatures, he won't see a difference in damage between a fullblade and a greatsword till then, since they both scale back to a d8 at tiny size and a d10 at small. Regardless, I'd recommend he go for a suglin, which has both reach and does decent damage, though it's a full round to swing it till you can get Suglin Mastery. Small price to pay to be able to attack with an antler, basically.:smallbiggrin:

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

EDIT:
Isn't that a Goliath racial substitution level in Races of Stone?

It is. That gives me the hilarious idea of having the squirrel go Stoneblessed so he can take the Goliath level for Mountain Rage and become Small, though, since he doesn't naturally have Powerful Build and Mountain Rage doesn't scale your equipment with you, he'd need to carry a Small weapon with him to avoid size penalties or get his weapon to be Sizing ASAP.

horseboy
2009-09-07, 03:25 PM
We're just gonna make suggestions based off of references to famous animated squirrels, aren't we? *le sigh*

:smallconfused:
Pepe is a skunk, not a squirrel.

Cieyrin
2009-09-07, 06:53 PM
:smallconfused:
Pepe is a skunk, not a squirrel.

Bah, I just like the expression, Squirrels or otherwise.:smalltongue:

Starbuck_II
2009-09-07, 07:14 PM
Since the two results seemed to match so well, I decided to give him the Native Outsider (Candy) subtype.

w00t! Candy Subtype: it has been ages since I last saw that thread.

Pika...
2009-09-07, 07:24 PM
Bah, I just like the expression, Squirrels or otherwise.:smalltongue:

Oh, the cat is SO going to have a Pepe Le Pue accent and vocabulary now.

I need to go look up some of his episodes on youtube now. :smallbiggrin:

p.s. Did you know those cartoons would fall under the extreme end of exist and stalker nowadays?

w00t! Candy Subtype: it has been ages since I last saw that thread.

Hit it up while searching the forums for "Poring". I had a feeling others here play Ragnarok Online. Although I made a few modifications.

Indon
2009-09-07, 07:40 PM

I considered a couple chipmunks, but Barbarian is a poor class for investigative tasks.

Cieyrin
2009-09-07, 07:53 PM
p.s. Did you know those cartoons would fall under the extreme end of exist and stalker nowadays?

Probably another reason why Looney Tunes isn't on the air anymore. Damn over-sensitive censors that can't see slapstick for what it is.:smallfurious:

Roland St. Jude
2009-09-07, 08:02 PM
I suggest that he take Leadership and obtain an anthropomorphic moose cohort. Then the two of them can take on bumbling Pottsylvanian spies Boris and Natasha.

Alternatively, I would recommend that even medium sized creatures can now grapple, pick up, throw, etc. a tiny creature. Have everything use its size advantage over the character. Depending on the type of game, the social disadvantages and challenges of being an anthropomorphic animal can be huge. Also provide ways that a small creature benefits the whole party but be wary of how such a creature can basically obviate entire challenges.

Cieyrin
2009-09-07, 08:04 PM
I suggest that he take Leadership and obtain an anthropomorphic moose cohort. Then the two of them can take on bumbling Pottsylvanian spies Boris and Natasha.

Then he'd need a fly speed and some goggles, wouldn't he? :smallbiggrin:

Samuel Sturm
2009-09-07, 08:51 PM
An idea for his nemesis;
Make it an awakened cat. Start it at lvl 10, and have it advance at half the rate he does. This makes it an impossible fight at the start, but at lvl 20 they would be equal level.

As far as leveling up the cat, give it fighter levels and the combat reflexes tree.
Or for a slightly weaker nemesis, monk levels.:smalltongue:

This also gives the reason for the cat to hate him;
"THE DARN THING WON'T FRICKING DIE!!!!!!!!! AARRRGGGG!!!!!!!!! I can wipe out humans all day, but I can't kill one tiny little squirrel!":smallyuk:

Pika...
2009-09-08, 04:45 AM
An idea for his nemesis;
Make it an awakened cat. Start it at lvl 10, and have it advance at half the rate he does. This makes it an impossible fight at the start, but at lvl 20 they would be equal level.

As far as leveling up the cat, give it fighter levels and the combat reflexes tree.
Or for a slightly weaker nemesis, monk levels.:smalltongue:

This also gives the reason for the cat to hate him;
"THE DARN THING WON'T FRICKING DIE!!!!!!!!! AARRRGGGG!!!!!!!!! I can wipe out humans all day, but I can't kill one tiny little squirrel!":smallyuk:

:smallbiggrin:

Dude, this is awesome. :smallbiggrin:

And should I roleplay licking myself whenever in said NPCs personality?

p.s. Will need a name for him, though.

Radar
2009-09-08, 06:06 AM
(...)

May i propose this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macavity)?

Ashtar
2009-09-08, 06:30 AM
[Dark and creepy music starts, Camera panning view of a forest]
When the large creatures who defend the forest fall to the terrible ogres of the northern hills, when the druids who guard the sacred cove dissapear, when the lone unicorn has been hunted by goblins for it's sacred horn and when even the fairies and pixes have been captured by the unseelie court's agents...

[Music becomes more upbeat, Camera zooming towards a tree]
Who is left to defend the forest?

[Music rises Crescendo, Camera fixes on a tree with a human size shadow hidden behind it]
Who will rise up to fight the tyranny?

[Music Sforzando]
It's... a Kercpa!
[Squirrel steps out from behind the tree, taking up 1/10 of the bottom of the screen and camera has quick to pan down and zoom to make it fill the screen]

[Heroic music]
Returning from his long journey of learning the ancient fighting style of the Ursidae to find his forest defiled, his friends and family killed or captured and his stock of nuts looted, he must set out and set things right!

For great justice! For the Nuts!

Samuel Sturm
2009-09-08, 03:01 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Dude, this is awesome. :smallbiggrin:

And should I roleplay licking myself whenever in said NPCs personality?

May i propose this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macavity)?

The licking thing may be taking it a little to far. Besides, this is an awakened cat we're talking about. He's going to do his grooming in private at the least. Or have some of his harem do it for him... Aka female cat body guards... nudge, nudge

Macavity sounds cool, but we probably need to know the cat's personality first.

For example;

A Persian cat with a superiority complex;
Greetings, my little dumpling. My name is (pause, sigh) James.
(said perfectly straight faced and with great reserve and honor.)
If anyone so much as cracks a smile that may be sarcastic, or any other sign that they think it's funny, he continues in this vein;
What! You dare to insult my great name? I'll make dumplings out of you, little squirrel!

Or how about an old black-and-grey Tom?
Hello. My name is Rufus. Are you chewy? I hope not.
(Make him very straight-froward.)

So on and so forth. If I know the personality type you're wanting I can do a lot better.

P.S. _All_ cats need Pounce. May I suggest 1 level of lion totem barbarian?

Pika...
2009-09-08, 03:08 PM
The licking thing may be taking it a little to far. Besides, this is an awakened cat we're talking about. He's going to do his grooming in private at the least. Or have some of his harem do it for him... Aka female cat body guards... nudge, nudge

Macavity sounds cool, but we probably need to know the cat's personality first.

For example;

A Persian cat with a superiority complex;
Greetings, my little dumpling. My name is (pause, sigh) James.
(said perfectly straight faced and with great reserve and honor.)
If anyone so much as cracks a smile that may be sarcastic, or any other sign that they think it's funny, he continues in this vein;
What! You dare to insult my great name? I'll make dumplings out of you, little squirrel!

Or how about an old black-and-grey Tom?
Hello. My name is Rufus. Are you chewy? I hope not.
(Make him very straight-froward.)

So on and so forth. If I know the personality type you're wanting I can do a lot better.

Crafty, and intelligent.

Perhaps a bit good at planning, and somewhat sophisticated?

p.s.
What if I made him a Cheshire Cat from that WotC website cat article?

p.s.2. LoL. So the roleplayed licking would be a bit much? :smallbiggrin:

horseboy
2009-09-08, 03:19 PM
I'd go with something like "Mr Snuggles" "Fluffikins", or "Ragamuffin". You know, something overly cute that a 12 year old girl would name their kitten.

Samuel Sturm
2009-09-08, 03:47 PM
Crafty, and intelligent.

Perhaps a bit good at planning, and somewhat sophisticated?

p.s. What if I made him a Cheshire Cat from that WotC website cat article?

p.s.2. LoL. So the roleplayed licking would be a bit much? :smallbiggrin:

Well, it would depend on the group and how agile you are....:smallwink:

Not to familiar with that one, and my web-fu seems to be rather diminished while I have this dratted swine flu. Link please?

Ok, so here's what I would do.

He looks like;

http://voices.mysanantonio.com/williamhcraig/domestic-cat.jpg
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/genome/guide/img/cat.jpg

His name is:

Rufus
Slade
Ranglethorn

A partial backstory;

His mother was a wizard's pet cat(probably not familiar), and you know how those magical energies do weird things sometimes...
Since he was born in a wizard's tower, he got to "attend" many high meetings held there.
(I mean, really, who'd notice a cat in the room in a probably late medieval style time period?)
From this, he learned the social "graces".
He fought in and survived the great CataRat wars (as he calls them) years ago, and this taught him to be cunning, patient, and to think out every move beforehand.
Now, as he ages, he searches for Artifact X (Aka Macguffin) to make him Immortal / a Lich / Whatever.
His favorite food? Squirrel.

His build;
Lion totem barbarian 1/ monk 2/ fighter X

I would recommend the combat reflexes tree, unarmed strike through superior unarmed strike (TOB), and Improved Toughness. Not terribly optimized, but realistic for a cat who's been through a war.

Personality coming soon!

Remember, you're free to change or do whatever with my ideas.

Pika...
2009-09-08, 04:07 PM
Well, it would depend on the group and how agile you are....:smallwink:

Yeah, I think I will save people the image of a grown, round, Hispanic man pretending to lick himself.

Not to familiar with that one, and my web-fu seems to be rather diminished while I have this dratted swine flu. Link please?

Here you go:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c

And you have the swine flu dude?! :smalleek:

Ok, so here's what I would do.

He looks like;

http://voices.mysanantonio.com/williamhcraig/domestic-cat.jpg
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/genome/guide/img/cat.jpg

His name is:

Rufus
Slade
Ranglethorn

A partial backstory;

His mother was a wizard's pet cat(probably not familiar), and you know how those magical energies do weird things sometimes...
Since he was born in a wizard's tower, he got to "attend" many high meetings held there.
(I mean, really, who'd notice a cat in the room in a probably late medieval style time period?)
From this, he learned the social "graces".
He fought in and survived the great CataRat wars (as he calls them) years ago, and this taught him to be cunning, patient, and to think out every move beforehand.
Now, as he ages, he searches for Artifact X (Aka Macguffin) to make him Immortal / a Lich / Whatever.
His favorite food? Squirrel.

His build;
Lion totem barbarian 1/ monk 2/ fighter X

I would recommend the combat reflexes tree, unarmed strike through superior unarmed strike (TOB), and Improved Toughness. Not terribly optimized, but realistic for a cat who's been through a war.

Personality coming soon!

Remember, you're free to change or do whatever with my ideas.

Oh, I like this!

Especially the seeking immortality, and liking squirrel as his favorite snack.

However, I would change his wizard origin a bit. Since I run low-magic, the most you ever see are adepts. But since all adepts have familiars, and the familiars retain their stat boosts and abilities if the master dies, talking animals are as common as an adept.

Also, the earlier motivational poster in this thread got me thinking about adding an awakened rabbit vs. Kercpa (the awakened squirrel race) war in the forests of this continent. Not sure how or why yet, but I imagine that considering how fast rabbits breed a pair of "freed" ones from deceased elf adepts could have caused them to exist? Not sure how to throw the cat into all this, though.

Pika...
2009-09-12, 08:11 PM
Hahaha.

Look at what the player just sent me:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/angrysquirrel.jpg

Looks like he and his brother may be finding us some new players, so it appears the game is still on. keep em coming then! :smallsmile:

Pika...
2009-09-12, 08:55 PM
Ooh...

My squirrel player just sent me his nearly complete character sheet. He just needs to buy gear.

Is it stated anywhere how much gear should weigh for a tiny sized creature, race, or PC?

Many thanks!

Godskook
2009-09-12, 09:01 PM
If you've seen my other recent thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123923) you might know that I recently got a new PC/player. Apparently, he wants to play a Kercpa (2ed awakened squirrel race).

I am all for it, but sadly have never ran for a tiny sized PC. I am not quite sure how to challenge such a PC/player, what arks would be appropriate, what a good rival/nemesis would be, how to account for it's sneaky abilities (uber hide and climb speed...), etc.

Can anyone experienced with such things please give a newer DM some advice?

Ok, I'll admit, I didn't read the whole thread, but I give you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUj4GRMoy78

ericgrau
2009-09-12, 10:15 PM
Ooh...

My squirrel player just sent me his nearly complete character sheet. He just needs to buy gear.

Is it stated anywhere how much gear should weigh for a tiny sized creature, race, or PC?

Many thanks!

Items designed for tiny creatures weigh 1/4th the normal amount, if we follow the pattern. Containers also hold 1/4 as much. Full size items weigh the same, of course. However his carrying capacity also decreases. For a small creature it's 3/4 normal. For a tiny creature, maybe it's 3/4 * 3/4 = 9/16 normal? Or 9/16 is about 1/2, to keep things simple.

Pika...
2009-09-12, 11:10 PM
Items designed for tiny creatures weigh 1/4th the normal amount, if we follow the pattern. Containers also hold 1/4 as much. Full size items weigh the same, of course. However his carrying capacity also decreases. For a small creature it's 3/4 normal. For a tiny creature, maybe it's 3/4 * 3/4 = 9/16 normal? Or 9/16 is about 1/2, to keep things simple.

But here it says 1/4 is for small creatures?:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm

ericgrau
2009-09-12, 11:32 PM
Only the foot-noted items. I imagine the others weigh the full amount. And I was thinking of weapons and armor, which are 1/2 for small creatures IIRC. So for tiny creatures that'd probably translate into what I said for weapons and armor, but full weight for the other equipment that's not foot noted and 1/16th weight for items that are foot noted.

random11
2009-09-13, 07:05 AM
The squirrel player is cursed and altered into a human body.
Now he must venture the land of humans to find a cure and return to his normal body.

Pika...
2009-09-13, 02:46 PM
Only the foot-noted items. I imagine the others weigh the full amount. And I was thinking of weapons and armor, which are 1/2 for small creatures IIRC. So for tiny creatures that'd probably translate into what I said for weapons and armor, but full weight for the other equipment that's not foot noted and 1/16th weight for items that are foot noted.

Thanks for clearing that up!

The squirrel player is cursed and altered into a human body.
Now he must venture the land of humans to find a cure and return to his normal body.

LoL.

Seems a bit cruel, though. Especially since he has been wanting to play a squirrel for quite some time.

random11
2009-09-13, 03:15 PM
LoL.

Seems a bit cruel, though. Especially since he has been wanting to play a squirrel for quite some time.

It's the GM's way of saying "give it up, it's a stupid race to play" :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, this idea can actually work in a slightly different way.
A friend of the player is cursed in such a way, and the player is ordered to escort and protect the friend in his journey.
If the cultures are different enough, it will be a light funny campaign. A human that acts like an animal, with his pet squirrel (that is armed to the teeth, but needs to hide the weapons to blend better).
And all this, while presenting an excellent excuse for a quest that can last as long as you want.

For extra fun, make them discover at the end that the curse can be broken only if a woman falls in love with the cursed squirrel.
Good luck with trying to make someone a woman fall in love with someone that hordes nuts in his mouth in the first date! :smallsmile:

Pika...
2009-09-13, 09:37 PM
So I called up an old friend for advice on the subject of this thread. He said jokingly "have the squirrels and chipmunks have a ter war".

Well...
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6923696&posted=1#post6923696

Please let me know what you think of this as an idea to "challenge" the PC.

random11
2009-09-14, 12:42 AM
I don't know...

Regardless of what the culture of this race is, war is pretty much the same for everybody.
So what you actually have, is just another war campaign you could have easily created for humans, but with little furry creatures instead of humans.

It's okay if all you and the player think about is the "cute factor" of having furry creatures massacre one another. But if you decided to play a unique race and culture, won't it be better to somehow emphasize the differences?

Make something tiny fight things in different sizes.
Create a unique strange culture the player must follow and/or make him interact with more well known cultures.