PDA

View Full Version : Archive Binge

Gez
2009-09-06, 02:46 AM
David Morgan Mar (of Irregular Webcomic, Darths & Droids and Mezzacotta fame) has officially opened Archive Binge a few days ago. What is it? It's a site that lets you create RSS feeds to catch up on webcomics. Instead of being put off by a comic's huge backlog, you can catch up to it at your pace, with a RSS feed that gives you up to 10 strips a day. You can also suspend your feed (if you go away from Internet for some days) and you can update your position in the feed.

It's quite handy. But comics are only covered if the authors agreed to it, which requires that they've heard about it to begin with, so it can only benefit from some exposure. :smallsmile:

http://www.archivebinge.net/

Here's the list of covered comics (http://www.archivebinge.net/comics.php) so far, but more are coming.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-09-06, 07:35 AM
Interesting, although Schlock is not on there yet, and that has to be the biggest binge out there. Over 9 years at one strip a day...

T-O-E
2009-09-06, 08:13 AM
Girl Genius only has 1000 comics? Huh. Thought there were much more.

Might consider trying to binge it again.

Mauve Shirt
2009-09-06, 08:31 AM
I archive binge and re-archive binge for fun all the time, even on webcomics I've caught up with. I don't need no stinkin' RSS feed. :smalltongue:
Neat, though.

Kurald Galain
2009-09-06, 10:20 AM
Interesting, although Schlock is not on there yet, and that has to be the biggest binge out there. Over 9 years at one strip a day...

How about Userfriendly and Sluggy Freelance?

V'icternus
2009-09-06, 11:12 AM
I archive binge and re-archive binge for fun all the time, even on webcomics I've caught up with. I don't need no stinkin' RSS feed. :smalltongue:
Neat, though.

I must agree. I can binge on my own, and do so quite often.

But I can see how this would help people not so, uh... crazy, as me.

Web-series, webcomics, TV shows, movie series', book series', I go through 'em all the time, just to remind myself why I like 'em.

But I have long nights to spend doing nothing but net-trawling (and maybe sleeping if I'm lucky) so I can get a lot done.

Gez
2009-09-06, 11:43 AM
I can binge on my own as well, but not with every comic. Take something like Sinfest, it's an archive I could only binge by small chunks or it gets boring.

Also, I'm thinking a possible use for it would be for those webcomics that you only check from time to time to catch up with them in chunks. Like set a feed to be 10 strips, but only once a week.

Linkavitch
2009-09-06, 07:33 PM
Neat, though.

I've done that with OotS...four times now? I know what you mean.

EDIT: Arrhg, stupid keyboard...

chiasaur11
2009-09-06, 11:09 PM

Don't I know it.

And it's rough going to start, art-wise.

And plotwise.

Still, worth it in the end.

Johnny Blade
2009-09-07, 04:08 AM
Yeah, I'll use it for Schlock if possible. I've been trying to get into that twice now, but never made it past the early arcs. Which weren't so great.

dmmaus
2009-09-13, 07:15 PM
It's now available for Schlock Mercenary. :-)

I'd really like to get Order of the Stick on there, but Rich Burlew is notoriously difficult to contact. :-(

Fri
2009-09-14, 07:24 AM
This is might be your greatest boon to humanity yet, david morgan mar...

Gez
2009-09-14, 07:47 AM
It might be worth it to contact Rob Balder of Erfworld (http://www.erfworld.com/) and Partially Clips (http://www.partiallyclips.com/). I think he'd be interested.

t_catt11
2009-09-14, 09:16 AM
Huh. Cool idea! Not much use for my own comic (all of 14 strips right now), but very useful for some of the heavy hitters out there.

Thanks for ze link!

Gez
2009-10-01, 04:23 PM
Buck Godot and What's New? are available now! As well as several others.