PDA

View Full Version : Test Of Spite Needs You!

Doc Roc
2009-09-06, 11:20 AM
As you may know, the Test of Spite is a long-running trial of what we've come to call the 3.51 rules. Our philosophy is one of minimal change and maximum compatibility, with a focus on rigorous testing. This involves a lot of resources, and a lot of trouble. We're looking for skilled designers with a strong sense of balance and a working familiarity with the 3.5 system as well as the broader base of material that represents the available sourcebooks.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated as we are moving towards a major milestone for the ToS. Positions open are:

Secondary Editor

2xDesigner

4xQA Testing

2xGame Master

3xSheet Review

Cordially,
The Penny Dreadful Team

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-06, 01:17 PM
After a cursory skim of the main ToS thread I can't find a description of what exactly those positions are responsible for. Would you mind giving a quick synopsis? Just from the names, I think I'd be able to do QA or design work; I'm the full-time DM for my group who regularly uses all official splats, so I'd say I have a good working knowledge of the necessary material.

Doc Roc
2009-09-06, 03:40 PM
Sheet readers handle the vetting and validation of incoming character builds. It's a good way to get a feel for the shape of actual practical optimization.

Designers work on attempting to rebuild or fix known problems within a policy of minimal change. We also have a couple of large homebrew projects that we are working on and plan to begin testing later this week.

QAs actively sit down and try to punch holes in what we do. This includes wording of bans or fixes. A good example was the fact that I thought we'd successfully fixed Night sticks, but one of the QAs caught that we still allowed stacking accidentally.

GMs help us keep the ToS running smoothly, and are called on relatively rarely for adjudication. This is a pretty important position, and I'm a little uncomfortable actively recruiting.

I've seen enough of your work, Dice, that I'd be happy to have your help in any position you wanted.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-06, 04:18 PM
I've seen enough of your work, Dice, that I'd be happy to have your help in any position you wanted.

Aww, I'm flattered. :smallredface:

I think I'll go with my initial impression: I'd be happy to help with design and/or QA work, so just let me know what there is to be worked on and I can start right away.

Dragon Elite
2009-09-06, 05:25 PM
I pick holes in things anyway. I would be a QA.

Doc Roc
2009-09-07, 02:08 AM
Aww, I'm flattered. :smallredface:

I think I'll go with my initial impression: I'd be happy to help with design and/or QA work, so just let me know what there is to be worked on and I can start right away.

You should still be shared on the documents. Are you Eldritch Lord over on 339?

imperialspectre
2009-09-07, 10:13 PM
Anyone else want to help? We could really use it. Free e-cookies await!

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-07, 10:47 PM
You should still be shared on the documents. Are you Eldritch Lord over on 339?

Ah, it's that project. Yes, I am; I think I lost the links, so if you could send me them again I'd appreciate that.

Doc Roc
2009-09-08, 01:23 AM
If you could e-mail me again :: laughing ::

[email protected]

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-09-08, 11:04 AM
Sent.random

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-08, 12:31 PM
I am willing to assist, schedule permitting. I can already see some loopholes in your list of limitations, so QA might do well. For example, you may wish to limit Spellpool from Mage of the Arcane Order from allowing Sorcerers to satisfy the "Knowledge of x spells" or "Able to cast x spells" requirements, as technically they can use the spellpool to access or cast spells not on their Known Spells list. Or just limit it to saying "A Sorcerer must qualify for any prerequisite spell knowledge from their spells known list".

I can also come in as a Designer. I've got some... fun ideas. And I've got some alternative classes for Druid, Cleric, Bard, and Wiz/Sorc that you may be interested in, which are based on the Invocation mechanic of the Warlock.

I can also DM, although my schedule will likely be limited to 1/day posting, with sporadic access.

So, pretty much, wherever you need me to slot it, bearing in mind that unless I can schedule it ahead of time, my 'play time' may only be an hour or two a day, spread out over the course of the day.

Cieyrin
2009-09-08, 12:38 PM
I'd volunteer but I've been away from my books for freakin' 2 months now, which limits me to Crystal Keep, d20 SRD, Realms Help and occasionally the D&D Wiki (when it doesn't suck). I'd be more confident and willing to otherwise provide my insight on balance issues but for that restriction.:smallfrown:

Eloel
2009-09-08, 01:02 PM
I would like to work as QA. I spend most of my time looking through broken combinations for a different arena anyway.

Doc Roc
2009-09-08, 05:20 PM
Okay, this is a much stronger response than I was pessimistically expecting. :)