PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights2: What prcs are worth taking?

Kzickas
2009-09-06, 11:40 AM
As title says, which ones are worth it. can be for dips or for going all levels.
is for exemple 1 level of bard or sorcerer plus Red dragon deciple worth it for a melee character?

Crow
2009-09-06, 11:46 AM
Weapon Master is worth taking for a melee character. It is almost required in order to take out enemies in any reasonable amount of time in the expansion (critical hit build).

Flickerdart
2009-09-06, 12:01 PM
Dwarven Defender is considerably better than its PbP version through virtue of reduced tactical maneuvering requirements. A DD/Duelist with high Parry can be nigh-immortal against both sword and, if you add some Paladin goodness and Charisma, spell. Fit some Sorcerer and Red Dragon Disciple in there for extra fun.

Arutema
2009-09-06, 06:00 PM
Weapon Master is worth taking for a melee character. It is almost required in order to take out enemies in any reasonable amount of time in the expansion (critical hit build).

Be warned that the 3rd act of the OC becomes obsessed with Undead and you will be facing nothing else for the final dungeon and several others. Craft yourself a Disruption weapon if you intend to specialize in Criticals or Sneak Attacks.

In fact, craft one if you intend to go with any melee build.

And unlike 3.5, NWN2 allows Disruption on edged weapons. Feel free to abuse this.

Thane of Fife
2009-09-06, 06:33 PM
It's been a while, but I seem to recall that there was almost no reason not to go into Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep if you could (ie if you were an arcane caster).

Xanedan
2009-09-06, 11:58 PM
I can't remember the specifics but there was a crazy level 30 build involving drow monk / paladin / invisible blade. Flurry of blows + kama enchanted with as much elemental damage as you could afford.

I'm sure finding the details wouldn't be to hard, but if I remember right the build didn't really take off until the end of the epic campaign.

Kalbron
2009-09-07, 02:40 AM
If you've got MotB then a very good build is 10/10/10 Wiz/Arcane Scholar/Red Wizard.

Just make sure to take the Red Wizzie levels after you've gotten all the possible spells that it makes into a new opposed school.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-07, 03:52 AM
As title says, which ones are worth it. can be for dips or for going all levels.
is for exemple 1 level of bard or sorcerer plus Red dragon deciple worth it for a melee character?

1 (or a few, if you want more skillpoints) lvl(s) of bard, plus fighter, plus RDD is the easiest for a newbie to pull off right of the Over-the-top builds in this game. It is very easy to get an extreme STR with that combination, especially since you after mid-game can wear the Dwarven Defender armor (due to the wear-anything shtick of rogues and bards).

(Start Human, for extra feat. Start Bard, to get the most skillpoints. Go from there)

UnChosenOne
2009-09-07, 06:10 AM
I did once play guite good rogue build: Human 4rogue/1sorcerer/10RDD/15rogue. Yeah not most over the top, but still...

Poil
2009-09-07, 07:47 AM
A fun build I've tried is the barbarian/bard/dragon disciple/frenzied berserker. Screw weapon master with its critical strikes, they don't work on anything worthwhile anyway. Instead you get Supreme Power Attack which gives you a whopping +24 damage bonus if you use improved power attack with a two handed weapon.

If you don't have a strength of a least 30 while naked at level 16 you've done something horribly wrong. :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-07, 08:13 AM
A weird one I had some luck with was the Hafling Rogue / Fighter / Duelist.
Not the most damage output, but very hard to hit, too. Not the best for total optimizing, but good enough.

Lord of the Helms
2009-09-08, 06:59 AM
If you play a Monk, then Cleric+Sacred Fist is a pretty nice choice for some flavor through spellcasting. It does have a number of disadvantages, though - you're no longer quite as invulnerable as you effectively lose your spell resistance and a bit on reflex saves, and you lose the versatility that weapons can offer you (special metal kamas and, for damage, quarterstaffs come to mind). I definitely find it playable as a buffer and healer type in Mask of the Betrayer, though. Oh, and your AC is still not merely stratospheric, but actually more like astronomical.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-08, 08:31 AM
Red Dragon Disciple is probably the the best class for a melee class ever, since it's the only way to permanently boost your stats outside of levelling up. I've had a lot of success with a Paladin 9/Sorcerer 1/Red Dragon Disciple 10/Divine Champion 10 combo.

Avilan the Grey
2009-09-08, 08:37 AM
Red Dragon Disciple is probably the the best class for a melee class ever, since it's the only way to permanently boost your stats outside of levelling up. I've had a lot of success with a Paladin 9/Sorcerer 1/Red Dragon Disciple 10/Divine Champion 10 combo.

Yeah; it is basically the class you are stupid not to take if you plan to do any serious hand-to-hand combat at all. Basically the PRC is worthless if you actually play as a bard or especially a sorcerer, but if you just throw your role-playing to the hounds if you are a barbarian or paladin or whatever, and take one level in a class you will never use...

I even made our favourite Dwarf a Monk 9 Sorcerer 1 RDD 10 just for fun.

Tengu_temp
2009-09-08, 09:45 AM
Stormlord is a very good class for a clericzilla - you get +2d8 damage and a +3 enhancement that stacks with the enhancement you already have, for the cost of one weak, one decent and one good feat, and everything you lose is weaker turn undead. I've heard of a cleric/stormlord/duelist build (duelist's damage bonus applies to spears, strangely enough), but I never tested it in practice.

deuxhero
2009-09-08, 09:47 AM
1 level Shadowdancer. Bypass the games horrible combat almost entirly via HiPS cheese.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-09-08, 10:07 AM
Yeah; it is basically the class you are stupid not to take if you plan to do any serious hand-to-hand combat at all. Basically the PRC is worthless if you actually play as a bard or especially a sorcerer, but if you just throw your role-playing to the hounds if you are a barbarian or paladin or whatever, and take one level in a class you will never use...

I even made our favourite Dwarf a Monk 9 Sorcerer 1 RDD 10 just for fun.

Honestly, the roleplaying in NWN 2, while still halfway decent, is nowhere as deep and complex as something like, say, Mass Effect. Your class choices, apart from facility in combat and such, really only ammount to a few throwaway comments by NPCs and your own sense of roleplaying. You can't really throw it to the hounds. The hounds got it a while ago.

Anteros
2009-09-08, 03:57 PM
I generally go through the game as a weapon master, dual wielding bastard swords, and I've never had a problem killing anything. Even things that are immune to criticals generally die in one strike if you build the class correctly.

Optimystik
2009-09-08, 04:18 PM
Kaedrin's PrC pack (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2hakpaksoriginal.Detail&id=209) adds a bunch of extra PrCs that you can consider, like Lyric Thaumaturgist, Fist of the Forest, Hospitaler, and Frost Mage. It also adds Star Elves, new Domains (e.g. Mysticism, Tyranny, Elf and Fate), New spells and new feats. It looks like it was recently updated too, so definitely give it a look if you haven't yet :smallsmile:

Cybren
2009-09-08, 07:19 PM
Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep (wizard with better metamagic, or sorcerer with bonus feats? Either way you lose nothing)

Storm Lord (exactly the same as a cleric but you get bonus damage on your weapon that stacks with magic? Unlimited times per day?)

Weapon Master (17-20 / x5 scythe)