PDA

View Full Version : Bonus Warlock invocations

Paganboy28
2009-09-06, 01:38 PM
Shouldn't warlocks get bonus invocations for a high charisma, just like any other caster?????

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-06, 01:39 PM
Shouldn't warlocks get bonus invocations for a high charisma, just like any other caster?????

No

Sorcerers do not get bonus spells known for high Charisma, they simply get to use them more frequently per day. Since Warlocks get an infinite number of times per day, there's no point to letting them do it more frequently.

kamikasei
2009-09-06, 01:41 PM
Damn, ninja'd.

And since CHA can change over the course of a day...

It might not be a bad houserule, though. Lack of invocations known is one of the warlock's chief weaknesses, so giving them one extra "floating" invocation per point of charisma bonus each day would be a big boost.

Myou
2009-09-06, 01:44 PM
I'll just chime in with another no.

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-06, 01:44 PM
Damn, ninja'd.

And since CHA can change over the course of a day...

It might not be a bad houserule, though. Lack of invocations known is one of the warlock's chief weaknesses, so giving them one extra "floating" invocation per point of charisma bonus each day would be a big boost.

It would be too powerful. Like you said, lack of invocations is one of the Warlock's chief limitations. Otherwise, they turn into Schrodinger's Caster.

You can blow a feat to get an extra invocation, if that is what you want. I don't think it should be any easier than that to get one.

kamikasei
2009-09-06, 01:53 PM
It would be too powerful. Like you said, lack of invocations is one of the Warlock's chief limitations.

I didn't say limitations, I said weaknesses. As in, it makes them weak, not it keeps them from being too strong.

The strength of warlocks depends on the game and the sources available, of course, but personally I'd be pretty happy to grant a character more versatility in this way under most circumstances. Making it variable per day might be too much, though.

Paganboy28
2009-09-06, 01:53 PM
Just seems Charisma isn't really that big a deal ability to Warlocks as the other caster's main ability.

Ok, so it boosts UMD, but that can be uped using skill points, invocations don't usually require a save and those that do are usually poop.

Dex seems more important as that actually allows you to hit with EB and such.

kamikasei
2009-09-06, 01:55 PM
Just seems Charisma isn't really that big a deal ability to Warlocks as the other caster's main ability.

This is true, but bear in mind that needing only one primary ability is one aspect of many full casters' strength. Do you want to make warlocks as good as sorcerers, or actually sensibly powerful?

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-09-06, 01:58 PM

Ok, so it boosts UMD, but that can be uped using skill points, invocations don't usually require a save and those that do are usually poop.

Dex seems more important as that actually allows you to hit with EB and such.

CHA affects save DC's. Yanno, like with all of your "Add a negative status effect into my damage output" essence invocations like Utterdark Blast or Hindering Blast... and several of your other invocations also have saves (Charm Person comes to mind). Also, if you try to pick up almost any Blast Shape, it gives opponents a Reflex/half option, which means you suddenly need high DC's.

Xefas
2009-09-06, 02:01 PM
I usually change Warlocks' Invocation progression to 1/Level rather than the gimp progression they usually have. In my experience, it doesn't make them more powerful, so much as able to creatively participate in more situations. There is something to say for versatility making someone more powerful, but still...my group balances towards the Tome of Battle and Sorcererish full casting, so that's us. It may not be right for everyone.

Still, I'm fine with some Warlocks not needing Charisma. I think classes should have options for many kinds of ability distributions, even though most of them don't.